Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Games with ISBN numbers?

Dec 9, 2006 at 2:13:03 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Hey, I just noticed that there is an ISBN (International Standard Book Number) on Mindscape's releases, leading me to believe that they were sold in bookstores. I'm not sure, but they may have been used on other games as well. The ones I have in my collection are:

Dirty Harry: 0-7911-0480-X
Flight of the Intruder: 0-7911-0501-6
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: 0-7911-0286-6
Infiltrator: 0-7911-0310-2

Now, here's the kicker - any reissues of a book with an ISBN number MUST have a new ISBN number. Same goes for movies and likely the games as well. This means that any game that had a software revision would require a new ISBN, so if there are any software variants to the games in question, then the ISBN would be a clue as to which games might have them.

On a related note, since I knew that Wisdom Tree also sold their games through bookstores, I checked on the box for my copy of Bible Adventures. Although there was no ISBN number, it did have a SPCN (Standard Product Code Number) on it. It appears this standard was used by Christian retailers instead of the UPC standard, this makes sense. Also, there may be different ones for different variants, so I figure we list them here as well. If they're different, we'll work on getting the variant info attached to each one after the fact.

Bible Adventures: SPCN-9-9016-3000-2

These codes may also help find the games when scouring the 'net for games...many websites I've seen that offer books and such offer to search by ISBN as well as title, and I would assume something similar exists for Christian bookstores and such. Happy hunting

-------------------------

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Dec 9, 2006 at 7:51:24 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Wow, I never noticed that! I verified my numbers against yours, and they're the same. Indiana Jones might be one with a different number because it had a seal change, but I don't have the box yet for that one to check.

It seems that not all Mindscape games had them (I didn't check them all yet), such as Alfred Chicken, Battleship and Championship Pool. But, I did notice that 720 has one as well.

I'm going to have to check the other ones as well, and add that information to the site. Good stuff!

-Dain

Dec 9, 2006 at 7:53:20 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Very cool info, I never noticed that either. I will have to do a little research into this after X-mas Rush.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Dec 10, 2006 at 3:41:07 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Dain, mine has the white seal. If yours is the black seal then it didn't make a difference. But I think the only reason they'd need to switch numbers is for a software revision, so it may not make a difference.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Dec 10, 2006 at 8:21:18 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Mine has the black seal, so that at least answers that question

-Dain

Dec 10, 2006 at 2:05:00 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Yeah. Now we need to see if there's different ones for software revisions and we're set

Dec 10, 2006 at 7:52:30 PM
BootGod (16)
(Mark Lacey) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
From what I've seen so far, no Mindscape published games have had a software revision.

Dec 10, 2006 at 8:00:45 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
I don't think there would have been, but it's still cool info to have