Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew Full Quiet - A NEW Adventure Game for the NES by Retrotainment Games An enigmatic adventure through a mysterious open world of forgotten lore.

Oct 3, 2017 at 9:38:19 AM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
lookin good - backed!

-------------------------

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Oct 3, 2017 at 10:15:50 AM
Quack (68)
(Quack Quack) < King Solomon >
Florida
Can we get 2 grand more for the silver-plated LE!?

Mr Penguin O4 (9:01:18 PM): Quackenguin
SnappleSTG (9:01:28 PM): Pengenbush

Swing by my YouTube channel for a visit, and sub up while you're there! :)

Oct 3, 2017 at 6:37:16 PM
neodolphino (179)
(Justin ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Quack

Can we get 2 grand more for the silver-plated LE!?

No kidding!!!

Oct 3, 2017 at 11:32:52 PM
Final Theory (2)

(Final Theory) < Crack Trooper >
United States
You should put up a poster for the game up in a library. You know... because it says Full Quiet.

Oct 3, 2017 at 11:35:58 PM
IBtiM (11)
(Tim Hartman) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Limited Edition Version Unlocked!

Still time to join in on the new mystery Full Quiet for the NES!

Join us at https://www.kickstarter.com/proje....

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

photo FullQuiet-CartridgeAd - Final Day Unlocked_zpsacjxe95w.jpg

Part of the Retrotainment Games crew. Pre-Order our new NES game Full Quiet now Backerkit! Plus, our all original NES homebrews Haunted: Halloween '85 and Haunted: Halloween '86 The Curse of Possum Hollow are out now!
Check out https://www.facebook.com/Retrotai... for more info or grab the games at http://www.cashinculture.com/.... Stay Rad!

Oct 3, 2017 at 11:42:25 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Whoo! I haven't been checking lately (life!), but awesome to hear the LE tier is good to go. Consider me upgraded!

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Oct 3, 2017 at 11:44:58 PM
IBtiM (11)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

Whoo! I haven't been checking lately (life!), but awesome to hear the LE tier is good to go. Consider me upgraded!

Awesome. I need Spookotron! We close?

Part of the Retrotainment Games crew. Pre-Order our new NES game Full Quiet now Backerkit! Plus, our all original NES homebrews Haunted: Halloween '85 and Haunted: Halloween '86 The Curse of Possum Hollow are out now!
Check out https://www.facebook.com/Retrotai... for more info or grab the games at http://www.cashinculture.com/.... Stay Rad!

Oct 4, 2017 at 1:12:16 AM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: IBtiM

Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

Awesome. I need Spookotron! We close?

Hey now, stay on topic!

SoleGooseProductions.com

Oct 4, 2017 at 3:13:05 PM
humanthomas (0)
(Thomas Cipollone) < Little Mac >
Pennsylvania
Who will be backer #500?

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:04:04 PM
neodolphino (179)
Pennsylvania
HUGE CONGRATS GUYS!!!

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:33:07 PM
Fleck586 (155)
(Jason Fleck) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
Congratulations!

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:09:13 AM
Retrotainment Games (1)
(Greg ) < Tourian Tourist >
Pennsylvania
Special thanks to all NAers who supported this KS campaign. We're really, really glad to be a part of this community!! 

We try to make it a point to always let others know that this community of people is what has made all of this possible and as we continue to grow and hone our craft we hope to keep that notion at the forefront of what we're doing. The best way we can see to give back is to make fun games for NES fans to add to their collections. And by fun I mean games that frustrate the hell out of you with extreme difficulty spikes and annoying, overpowered enemies  

_   . . . .   . _   _ .   _ . _   . . .   !

photo PDAanimation2.3_zpszkprzdt9.gif

Edited: 10/05/2017 at 12:29 AM by Retrotainment Games

Oct 5, 2017 at 8:58:40 AM
GradualGames (39)
(Derek Andrews) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Congratulations, I am STOKED for this title. The things you guys are doing with stuff going into the background and like those shadowy sprites and stuff...man..I really don't think I've seen anything like that on the NES before. Or any game for that matter. Here's hoping this game gains further reach than just the retro physical NES scene.

That crosshairs scene...does Tepples already have a mockup of that stuff working? I was trying to think to myself how the heck I would even do that on the NES. I have some ideas but...man, that'd be hard. I almost want to try just for the hell of it (just make a demo of crosshairs moving over a scene) haha.

I think what I'd do is have a bunch of sprites that carve out a circle which are all black to partially mask the background as I pan the crosshairs around, and then behind those sprites I'd be modifying the background tiles or something (so they pop in within the cross hairs and just under the black sprites which contain partial circle cutouts around the perimeter)...if the only sprites are around the perimiter of the circle, seems like you could stay under the 64 sprite limite and 8 sprite wide limit....man this is exciting to think about...

Creators of: Nomolos: Storming the CATsle, and The Legends of Owlia.

Edited: 10/05/2017 at 10:52 AM by GradualGames

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:53:38 AM
toma (0)
(Tomas Guinan) < Crack Trooper >
Nova Scotia
Congratulations on this project. It really does look cool. Can't wait to take it for a spin!

http://www.spoonybard.ca

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:15:13 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Originally posted by: GradualGames

Congratulations, I am STOKED for this title. The things you guys are doing with stuff going into the background and like those shadowy sprites and stuff...man..I really don't think I've seen anything like that on the NES before. Or any game for that matter. Here's hoping this game gains further reach than just the retro physical NES scene.

That crosshairs scene...does Tepples already have a mockup of that stuff working? I was trying to think to myself how the heck I would even do that on the NES. I have some ideas but...man, that'd be hard. I almost want to try just for the hell of it (just make a demo of crosshairs moving over a scene) haha.

I think what I'd do is have a bunch of sprites that carve out a circle which are all black to partially mask the background as I pan the crosshairs around, and then behind those sprites I'd be modifying the background tiles or something (so they pop in within the cross hairs and just under the black sprites which contain partial circle cutouts around the perimeter)...if the only sprites are around the perimiter of the circle, seems like you could stay under the 64 sprite limite and 8 sprite wide limit....man this is exciting to think about...

There are a few commercial games that do this or something similar. Mickey's Safari In Letter Land does a giant magnifying glass and I think Metal Gear (or Snake's Revenge, I forget which) has a flashlight scene where it just like the crosshair scene in Full Quiet. You can only see so much around you and the rest is black. So, there are a couple of examples if you want to check them out.  

EDIT: I have confirmed, its the first level of Snake's revenge. It's actually spot lights that you have to avoid.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Edited: 10/05/2017 at 12:17 PM by Mega Mario Man

Oct 5, 2017 at 2:19:52 PM
Retrotainment Games (1)
(Greg ) < Tourian Tourist >
Pennsylvania
Thanks guys!

Concerning the crosshairs - He and I have been discussing our options for the them. It was originally designed pretty much how you're describing, Derek but he presented a few other options for how we can pull it off. We've yet to make a final decision since other things throughout the game will be affected by this, mainly due to how we use RAM to pull it off. We had also considered nixing the blacked out part and just using small crosshairs so that we could incorporate the Zapper (those without would just use the D-pad to control the crosshairs). Two things are holding us back from that, modern TVs and the fact that the blacked out area adds to the effect and suspense of sniping. If only there were some rabbitchild out there that could invent a Zapper for modern TVs.. we'd definitely consider going that route if'n that was available to the public   The thought of using a controller for standard game play and a Zapper on your hip for when you do some sniping is very appealing to us.

If we make the jump from TGROM to TNROM it will open up some better options but this decision will directly affect other things in the game like enemy sprites per sniping area, number of unique sniping areas, number of variables stored in RAM for things that need to be saved pre and post sniping, etc..

Tim, I had never seen that magnifying glass trick, that's really cool looking. I'll have to look into how that was done cause it's really neat. Thanks for pointing that out!

Oct 5, 2017 at 7:07:53 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Retrotainment Games

... If only there were some rabbitchild out there that could invent ...

Bahahahaha!

Chip and Dales 2 and Darkwing also have nice similar effects.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Dec 3, 2017 at 6:54:34 AM
Rookie1 (22)
(Pig Benis) < El Ripper >
Maine
so did we all get burned on this game? No updates on this for weeks. Never got my steam keys. The creator of the game has all but vanished. Hope you enjoy the $32k you got from everyone!

THINGS IM LOOKING FOR - http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:07:54 AM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: Rookie1

so did we all get burned on this game? No updates on this for weeks. Never got my steam keys. The creator of the game has all but vanished. Hope you enjoy the $32k you got from everyone!
I'm a bit tired, so I'm not sure if this is sarcasm.  Are you new to kickstarter??

There was literally an update 4 days ago. https://www.kickstarter.com/proje...

Edited: 12/03/2017 at 07:09 AM by NESHomebrew

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:08:00 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
I really hope that is sarcasm....

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:37:04 AM
GradualGames (39)
(Derek Andrews) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania

Any NES kickstarter should be backed with the full awareness it could take upwards of 4 years to make a game (NOT commenting on Retrotainment's schedule, I have NO IDEA what their projection is). I have not used KickStarter myself, but each of the two games I've built took me roughly 4 years give or take. My third looks like it will be the same. Lizard, approximately same. Mystic Searches, maybe same or longer. Some games take less time or the KS was started after game was already finished. But NEVER, ever back an NES kickstarter unless you're prepared to wait. It's not easy to make games like this.

That said, Retrotainment is an all-star team. They have one of the best NES developers in the world working on their code (Damian Yerrick). Just hang in there, I have high confidence it will not only be completed, but be a very good game.

Creators of: Nomolos: Storming the CATsle, and The Legends of Owlia.

Edited: 12/03/2017 at 10:37 AM by GradualGames

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:29:53 AM
neodolphino (179)
Pennsylvania

I have 0 worries that these guys will fail to deliver. They are class acts both online and in person. Worry not.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:51:00 PM
IBtiM (11)
Pennsylvania
CQ CQ kilo8foxtrot k8f calling CQ CQ this is Retrotainment Games.

You can now pre-order our upcoming, brand-new NES game Full Quiet and other goodies from Retrotainment Games, including the Limited Edition Silver Shell Version (aka Radio Edition).

Thanks so much to all 500+ gamers that backed Full Quiet who are helping our vision become a reality. If you missed the Kickstarter, this is your chance to join in on the fun.

Make sure to hit up the Backerkit site to stay up to date on game progress, new products and general news on the project. Also, as new products are developed, we will be adding them to the Backetkit site like posters and maps.

#8BitLegit

https://fullquiet.backerkit.com/...

Thanks for tuning in. Over.

Full Quiet Backerkit photo Lookout1-Promo_zpskno1jdjm.gif

May 17, 2018 at 5:21:31 PM
IBtiM (11)
Pennsylvania
Nuts and Bolts

Thanks to everyone for being so patient while we did a lot of the boring, nuts-and-bolts, back-end work! It means a lot that we're afforded the luxury of hammering that stuff out without people assuming that we bought a boat and are sailing away with suitcases full of your money.

We've made some very good strides over the past few months getting the foundation of the build locked down. Since this game requires us to build a brand new engine from scratch we really had to do a lot of work just to figure out how best to approach everything. We've been primarily focused on establishing our physics, building/implementing backgrounds in a new way and ironing out navigation as our top priorities... and we're just about done. This means we should have some screen shots and video ready soon! From that point on we can start showing visual progress periodically through the rest of development.

The question now is how much do we show?? While we want to include backers in this process we definitely don't want to give too much away. Since a large part of this game will be about exploration we don't want to give out any important details that could spoil the fun. So we'll really try to be tactful in our approach and will only show some of the basic stuff in the game.

Special thanks to the backers who play-tested our short demo at MGC! Your feedback was wonderful to get first hand. Thanks to your help we're very confident moving forward with our approach to building out and navigating this world we're creating.

Visuals coming soon...

May 17, 2018 at 8:25:12 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Sweet! Are we still on for September for the game release????  

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Edited: 05/17/2018 at 08:25 PM by KHAN Games