Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Retrozone's PowerPak: Customize your own multicart!

Jun 11, 2007 at 12:39:54 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
...continued from the www.NintendoAGE.com main page:

I spoke with Brian Parker a few weeks ago about this exciting offering, and decided the interview would best be presented as such due to the technical nature of the information, and Brian's excellent ability to communicate his ideas conversationally. Where possible I've inserted explanatory text and links [within brackets]. The initial release will be sometime today, Monday June 11th, and will be about 60 carts by his estimate.

NA: What is the nature of the technology used in the cartridge: To what extent were you able to take advantage of existing parts and technology or was the whole cartridge pretty much a custom job?

BP: All the chips are production hardware, no custom asics [Application-specific Integrated Circuit], but the board and software is all unique. Nobody has used the NES to read a memory card or to program an FPGA [Field-Programmable Gate Array] before. My first two proto boards were to test if that would actually work. No other processors are used; the NES controls everything.

NA: In layterms, how does the cartridge operate? Can you describe the file access interface or menu?

BP: The cart starts up using the on-board boot ROM. It programs the FPGA and loads files off of the CF card to display the directory tree. After choosing a game the options screen is shown where Game Genie codes can be entered and a battery RAM file chosen. The game is loaded from the CF card into on-board RAM then the FPGA is reprogrammed again with the correct mapper.

NA: There have been attempts by the nesdev community to undertake similar projects (a reprogrammable cart) with different levels of success. What makes this attempt stand out? In what ways have other attempts fallen short? How does this compare to the Atari Cuttle Cart if you're familiar with it?

BP: Any attempts at something like this need one person to make decisions, which the group projects have not been able to do. It is also harder to stay motivated when working in a group. Any individual projects never seemed to make it too far. Most probably fail because they don't realize how much time and money it will take. I was expecting to spend hundreds of dollars from the start, so when it hit $1k of expenses just for proto boards I wasn't surprised. It has also been over 16 months of development however much of that time was waiting for boards and working on other projects. I even thought I was done in Aug 2006!

The PowerPak is far more complex than the Cuttle Cart, and somewhat more complex than the Cuttle Cart 2. The variety of NES mappers is the main reason this hasn't been done before and why it is harder than the other systems. There are very few Atari mappers requiring a small chip, and they are not even close to even MMC1 in difficulty. The PowerPak needs a far larger FPGA. The larger chip also gets into voltage issues that add more work to the design. Not that the Cuttle Carts aren't impressive, anything that is programmed to use FAT format is hard! After seeing Cuttle Cart prices maybe I should boost mine...

NA: Can you provide details about your development time and things that affected it?

BP: Dec 2005- The idea started with the same guy that said he wanted USB NES controllers almost exactly 2 years earlier. I quickly came up with a design using the general architecture in the final product. Things like CF instead of SD [Secure Digital card] for speed were figured out early. At the time I thought it was a unique idea and didn't know about the FunkyFlashCart or all the failed attempts. Later the oldest reference I found to a universal NES cart idea was from around 2002.

Jan 2006- I made the first proto board which is a CNROM board wired up to a CF slot to see if I could read from the card. Yes the mess of wires actually did something! End of Jan I also did the next proto, which was a development FPGA board to see if the voltage translation would work.

Feb 2006- First prototype board that wasn't hand wired. This board showed that the NES could fully reprogram the FPGA and handle the power requirements. It was too hard to solder the tiny parts to get any useful work done so a real board was needed. While waiting for the new board I did tons of mapper schematics.

Apr 2006- First fully working board arrived. Other than time these are the real expense, each set being about $300 because of the machine soldering required. I worked with this board for many months and expected it to be the final one.

Aug 2006- I thought I was done! With all USA mappers except MMC5 I was ready to order the final boards. Unfortunately I realized the FPGA was not big enough to do MMC5, or even MMC3 + 3 Game Genie codes. Bigger FPGA meant a bigger boot ROM. Bigger ROM meant bank switching was needed. Bank switching meant a new board. This was also when I added boot ROM updating through CopyNES.

Nov 2006- That board finally arrived I told China to "fabricate", they heard "quote" so it took a few extra months. Took a few months to transfer all the mapper files over and reprogram for bank switching.

Jan 2007- Final boards ordered.

Mar 2007- 100 final production boards arrive! Chinese New Year (Feb) always seems to delay something...

Apr 2007- Just before spending thousands on a mold for NES cases, someone who already had a mold returned. Label and manual artwork started (slowly).

May 2007- Cart milling done, Ciclones arrived, a few more mappers added, UI improved, etc. It is always surprising how much work there is when the boards are already finished.

Everything will be for sale on my website at www.retrousb.com... If it says temporarily unavailable, you are too late! I expect I will be producing more boards but it will be a few months until those are here. Some of that will be waiting time to see if any major bugs appear.

NA: I'd like any comments you might have that these questions wouldn't cover...

BP: The CF card can use FAT16 or FAT32 formats, and standard .nes files. No special loading software is needed. Most of the system is upgradeable through files on the CF card so more mappers can be added later or bugs fixed. Upgrading the boot ROM needs CopyNES, but that will hopefully never be needed and I will have a service to do it.

Future Products - Some ideas are PowerPak FDS for playing .fds files on a USA NES, USB CopyNES, USB NSF cart for music, some new games, etc. Other hardware ideas like NES modem are always welcome

Thanks to Brian Parker for his generous and detailed information about the PowerPak project. This article may not, in portion or in its entirety, be copied, rehosted or quoted without the consent of the author, Dan Langevin (Dangevin@[NOSPAMREMOVE]verizon.net). Information in this article is correct to the knowledge of the author as of 6/11/07.

-------------------------

Edited: 06/11/2007 at 01:00 PM by dangevin

Jun 11, 2007 at 1:23:05 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Very cool project, I can't wait to pick one of these up also. I really hope that the USB CopyNES project takes hold as well, that would rock. Great job Bunnyboy.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:01:57 PM
BootGod (16)
(Mark Lacey) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
Yes finally! Hopefully I don't need to stay up all night to get one though! It would be a welcome sight to see a USB version of CopyNES too, the parallel port causes far to many compatibility problems these days

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:21:31 PM
BootGod (16)
Minnesota
Sweet they are up for sale already!

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:26:25 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I have already bought mine, got the biggest bundle pack, Super excited.
~~NGD

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:46:51 PM
xtremegamer (188)
(Lenny Laserdisc) < Ridley Wrangler >
Missouri
Thank goodness I do not have to wait up all night for this.  Hopefully I will get some use out of mine. 

Paaaaper!  Have you ever seen paper?  Look at it, smell it!

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:52:21 PM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
Damn, he keeps releasing these things when I don't have the money to buy them! At least I had the money to get an NWC this time.

Edited: 06/11/2007 at 04:55 PM by burdger

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:28:43 PM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
Now I have the dilemma of if I buy this, whether it will ruin the experience for me of collecting games to play...It's always good to get a new game in the post and check it out, but if they're all available on one cartridge, there's no real surprises. Of course there's still the collection aspect of having all the physical cartridges with artwork etc which is cool, but the game play aspect may be lost if they are all there in one hit.

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Jun 12, 2007 at 1:06:28 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
well it looks like the 256 MB bundle is sold out cause they are no longer shown on the site. I assume that just about everyone bought the bundle cause it was the best deal. Looks to be another successful venture for you bunnyboy.
~~NGD

Jun 12, 2007 at 4:47:07 AM
jaredkk (57)
(Jared Klinger) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I don't understand what any of this stuff is.

Jun 12, 2007 at 10:08:45 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Pretty much it allows you to put any ROM file onto a flash memory card to allow you to play any NES game on your NES. Including homebrews, hacks, and unreleased games that you would have to own repros to be able to play otherwise on an actual NES.

If you get a bundle pack you are set to go. Plug the USB reader into your PC, it should auto detect. Then just copy over ROM files to the card. Once it is done remove card, insert it in to the retro pack and pop it in your NES. Then you pick the file you want to play and you are set. If you have a big enough flash card you could pretty much have a a whole NES library in 1 game including stuff you would never own otherwise. Very cool.
~~NGD

Jun 12, 2007 at 11:26:57 AM
xtremegamer (188)
Missouri
Originally posted by: NationalGameDepot

Pretty much it allows you to put any ROM file onto a flash memory card to allow you to play any NES game on your NES. Including homebrews, hacks, and unreleased games that you would have to own repros to be able to play otherwise on an actual NES. If you get a bundle pack you are set to go. Plug the USB reader into your PC, it should auto detect. Then just copy over ROM files to the card. Once it is done remove card, insert it in to the retro pack and pop it in your NES. Then you pick the file you want to play and you are set. If you have a big enough flash card you could pretty much have a a whole NES library in 1 game including stuff you would never own otherwise. Very cool. ~~NGD

I was hoping it was that simple.  I don't know what I'm more excited about, this or the NWC 1990 repro?

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:12:43 PM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I am sure I will pick one of these up, sooner or later.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:41:29 PM
MarioMania (10)
(Danny Scalero) < El Ripper >
California
me too..Can the Power Pak Cart play games like Super Mario World & other Pirate Games.How many NES ROM's can fit in one card

Jun 12, 2007 at 3:57:10 PM
BootGod (16)
Minnesota
Originally posted by: MarioMania

me too..Can the Power Pak Cart play games like Super Mario World & other Pirate Games.How many NES ROM's can fit in one card

It probably has the ability to handle just about any game out there. It doesn't have MMC5 support yet, but it can support it and that is probably the most complex in-cart hardware there was for the NES. So anyways, it may or may not support games like Super Mario World right now, but if not, it probably can in the future.

As for how many ROMs on a card, a 256MB card could handle probably all or close to all of the US games.

Jun 12, 2007 at 4:26:25 PM
MarioMania (10)
California
Sweet..I'm getting one in 2 months if Bunnyboy has them

Edit: For the $130 one without the USB & The CF Card....what kind of USB devise do I need to transfer it

also Can I use other CF Cards like Scandisk for it..

Edited: 06/12/2007 at 07:51 PM by MarioMania

Jun 13, 2007 at 11:06:23 AM
xtremegamer (188)
Missouri
I hope everyone who wanted one got one because they are now unavailable.

Jun 13, 2007 at 11:09:59 AM
MarioMania (10)
California
I just saw it on retousb..I'll wait for version 2 for surpport for Pirate Games

Jun 13, 2007 at 1:22:14 PM
HeartOfDavid (61)
(David Clark) < El Ripper >
Louisiana
Man, I really wnated to get a PowerPak and I didn't realize that they already went on sale. I checked just the other day and it wasn't listed. I'm going to have to bring out my "A" game! LOL

For the longest time, I've said that Christ died FOR us. The truth is, He died INSTEAD of us!

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:34:40 PM
The-Bavis (0)
(Travis Bavis) < Cherub >
United States
I checked the site and the button is still there to buy it. Different from the NWC cart that says it is temporarily unavailable. How do you know it's sold out? I put it in the cart, but then got scared and ran away.

Jun 13, 2007 at 10:02:50 PM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: The-Bavis

I checked the site and the button is still there to buy it. Different from the NWC cart that says it is temporarily unavailable. How do you know it's sold out? I put it in the cart, but then got scared and ran away.

It automatically changes if an item is sold out.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Jun 13, 2007 at 10:08:15 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Looks like they are back up for sale again. Everyone should be good to go looks like.
~~NGD

Jun 14, 2007 at 12:12:55 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Now if he can only get a steady supply of NWC 1990 repros!

Jun 15, 2007 at 2:28:16 AM
mb7241 (183)
(Matt B.) < Bowser >
Tennessee
And evidently, the second round of Powerpaks have sold out. Just when I was about to buy one, too.

Answering any and all questions related to video game collecting.  Guaranteed true and honest answers from a man with nearly 20 years in the community.  Prices for these answers vary depending on the question.  For all inquiries, please PM me.

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:02:22 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I got mine in the mail today. Looks great. I haven't had time to play it yet, but I am going to fire it up in a bit.
~~NGD