Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

GBA SP shell Replacement advice

May 27 at 3:23:41 PM
SheenaGhost (0)
< Cherub >
New York
Anybody have any experience with replacement shells for GBA SP's? I know they sell them on eBay and Amazon. Are they all the same? Is it worth it to go for a glass lens?

I bought an AGS-101 from Goodwill for $60 last week and was waaay excited about it. It worked fine and looked great all week... then today during the car ride to a Memorial Day BBQ, I opened it up and the hinge snapped :/

-------------------------

Jun 01 at 5:09:08 AM
OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
I can't tell you for sure, as I haven't used one myself. But, just thinking about it I'd say the glass is probably not worth extra outlay. The SP folds shut, right, so the screen is protected.

If I were you, I'd just look on Amazon for the seller who has sold the most with the highest average reviews and just go for that.

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***

Jun 02 at 10:26:21 PM
SheenaGhost (0)
< Cherub >
New York
Fair enough.
Thanks for the input!

Jun 03 at 7:36:38 AM
NathanOfLight (67)
(Nathan H.) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
Run the Amazon product page link through Fakespot, too.

Jun 03 at 10:08:50 PM
SheenaGhost (0)
< Cherub >
New York
Originally posted by: NathanOfLight

Run the Amazon product page link through Fakespot, too.

Never heard of that one before.  Thanks for the tip!

Jun 04 at 1:17:17 AM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
The hinges are going to be the biggest issue but I found a trick way back when the GBA SP was still current:

Disassemble a Bic Round Stic ink pen and separate the part that fits in the tube from the cone-shaped piece. Disassemble the display as far as it will go by removing the single screw under the flat cable and the five screws in the front frame/faceplate. Remove the LCD and back plate then open the front frame to the detent position (the place where it snaps into position when opened; neither closed nor fully-open). Place the part from the Bic pen over the inside clips for right hinge and they will retract. The hinge piece may even pop out a little bit but if it doesn't you can stick a small screwdriver or something into the Bic piece to give it a push.

Even though this is the part most people have trouble with, it should pop out easily with this "Bic Tric." Seriously: I've seen shattered corners and stabbed hands because people didn't have the aid of a Bic Round Stic!

You will probably have to shorten the Bic piece to do the same trick on the left hinge. There is a rib that prevents you from pushing against the hinge straight unless it is short enough. Also, you'll have to close the hinge, insert the Bic piece, then open the hinge, since you won't be able to fit past the rib otherwise. If you cut it to just the right length it will fit between the clip and the rib to apply pressure on its own. A screwdriver with a small enough shaft likely won't be able to reach all the way through from the empty right hinge but anything long and thin should work. I usually use a $0.03 watercolor brush (long, thin, and tapers toward the tip opposite the brush end).

Remember to keep the LCD frame in the detent position when reinserting the hinges! It's the only way the notches will line up. Also, don't mix up left and right, as I'm pretty sure it matters.

Edited: 06/13/2019 at 09:12 PM by CZroe

Jun 13 at 9:08:55 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
LOL! Right after uploading a video to share my Bic Round Stic Tric[k], I see that this 3D printed tool to do the same thing was released two days earlier:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing...

Dude goes by "Admiral_Buttercup" on Reddit, Makho on YouTube, and DeadCereal on Thingiverse. Check it out if you have a 3D printer and don't want to waste a Bic ink pen.

Edited: 06/13/2019 at 09:09 PM by CZroe

Jun 14 at 4:08:39 PM
Brachabre (9)
(Weiner Tacos) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Originally posted by: CZroe

LOL! Right after uploading a video to share my Bic Round Stic Tric[k], I see that this 3D printed tool to do the same thing was released two days earlier:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3671526

Dude goes by "Admiral_Buttercup" on Reddit, Makho on YouTube, and DeadCereal on Thingiverse. Check it out if you have a 3D printer and don't want to waste a Bic ink pen.
Thanks for the info on the bic trick. Happen to have a similar solution for a snapped DS Lite hinge besides the rubber band trick?

Jun 14 at 4:13:51 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Originally posted by: Brachabre

Thanks for the info on the bic trick. Happen to have a similar solution for a snapped DS Lite hinge besides the rubber band trick?
If there aren’t any replacement cases available I see a lot of folks turning those into “GB Maxi” handhelds (analog to “GB Micro” ) with cool light bars stretched across the top.

I reshelled an original launch Nintendo DS but never looked into doing the DS lite.  

Edited: 06/14/2019 at 04:14 PM by CZroe

Jun 28 at 11:08:25 AM
SheenaGhost (0)
< Cherub >
New York

Ah, if I only had a 3D printer....  Looks like I'll be using a pen.  Thanks!

Jun 28 at 12:29:39 PM
retrofixes (36)
< El Ripper >
North Carolina
I purchase the NES style SP shell last year.  The quality blew me away for the $12 I spent.
using the 101 screen!  It's sweeeet

Jun 28 at 1:24:16 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Is this easier to disassemble/reassmble than the DS Lite?

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Jul 03 at 1:47:19 PM
ProtonX (380)
(ProtonX Atomic) < Lolo Lord >
Oregon
Originally posted by: rlh

Is this easier to disassemble/reassmble than the DS Lite?

Yes- by far much easier

Jul 08 at 12:58:03 AM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Originally posted by: retrofixes

I purchase the NES style SP shell last year.  The quality blew me away for the $12 I spent.
using the 101 screen!  It's sweeeet

I also did the 101 in a NES shell back when they first popped up around 2017. Noticed that the Nintendo logo is flush or slightly protruding from the back of the screen when the real NES Edition sits below the surface. Is it still like that? half the reason I did this was because my NES Edition was stolen but I still had the box, manual, receipt, etc. I figure no one is going to mistake it for a genuine NES Edition with the backlit screen so it was the perfect pair up.

Edited: 07/08/2019 at 12:59 AM by CZroe