Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Double Dragon Contest ends Sunday, 5/18/14 at 11 PM NA time

May 15, 2014 at 12:21:47 AM
fatalfuryspecial (31)
(cool shooter spaceship) < El Ripper >
Texas
does it count if one no life left, but is not dead? this was my first play since tournament, still getting used to using the headbutt rather than the elbow.

Edited: 05/18/2014 at 10:57 PM by fatalfuryspecial

May 15, 2014 at 12:28:37 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: Balloon_Kid

This game really isn't too hard once you get the hang of things, but competing in a hi-score contest really ramps things up. Here you can see I got too greedy and wound up falling in the drink chasing down William. My previous playthrough also ended in this section, with William knocking me into the drink.

The williams in that section seem to be the most skilled williams of the entire game. I got raped hard by one of them last time I played.

-------------------------

Edited: 05/15/2014 at 12:29 AM by guillavoie

May 15, 2014 at 9:16:20 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: fatalfuryspecial

does it count if one no life left, but is not dead?

I think most of us are counting any picture prior to the bottom saying "Game Over" (so you can be in your death throes, but not yet "game-overed")

May 15, 2014 at 9:17:31 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: guillavoie

This game really isn't too hard once you get the hang of things, but competing in a hi-score contest really ramps things up. Here you can see I got too greedy and wound up falling in the drink chasing down William. My previous playthrough also ended in this section, with William knocking me into the drink.

The williams in that section seem to be the most skilled williams of the entire game. I got raped hard by one of them last time I played.
Yeah, those guys are agressive as hell.  Hardest enemies other than the last boss, IMO.

May 15, 2014 at 12:20:32 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
(new score below)

I made a HUGE mistake in this game and fell down a stupid firepit during the cave

amatur move on my part

also, becuase of that, i was much more cautious with my lives

I also got nailed with a knife from Chin, which crippled me

I am MUCH better than this and can/have beaten the game in one life before

oh well...this will be my early entry

Edited: 05/16/2014 at 12:11 AM by mattyjmania

May 15, 2014 at 12:28:27 PM
fatalfuryspecial (31)
(cool shooter spaceship) < El Ripper >
Texas
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: fatalfuryspecial

does it count if one no life left, but is not dead?

I think most of us are counting any picture prior to the bottom saying "Game Over" (so you can be in your death throes, but not yet "game-overed")

thanks!

May 15, 2014 at 12:48:49 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: mattyjmania

I'm sure you know this, but a tip for others:

if there is a knife, get control of it and don't use it.  Only 1 usable knife will spawn at a time, so you can prevent additional enemies from getting one.

There are at least a couple of locations where this is critical. (Williams in Mission 3 after the river, Chintais in MIssion 4 after the blocks)

But if you can get control of the only on-screen knife, you can headbutt or kick everybody to death and none of the new guys will spawn with knives (at least one more shows up with the Williams, and 2 or 3 more of the Chintais can get them)

May 15, 2014 at 12:50:08 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania

I'm sure you know this, but a tip for others:

if there is a knife, get control of it and don't use it.  Only 1 usable knife will spawn at a time, so you can prevent additional enemies from getting one.

There are at least a couple of locations where this is critical. (Williams in Mission 3 after the river, Chintais in MIssion 4 after the blocks)

But if you can get control of the only on-screen knife, you can headbutt or kick everybody to death and none of the new guys will spawn with knives (at least one more shows up with the Williams, and 2 or 3 more of the Chintais can get them)

thanks for the tip

I am aware of that, just was being dumb/made a mistake

good tip for all however

May 15, 2014 at 1:40:04 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Fighting for a high score is so weird because I knew beating the game didn't really matter and that meant other fights leading up the last boss were allowed to absorb extra health in exchange for headbutts...

Just got careless with the turbo-Williams on this round... I was really hoping to clear 300k (which I was definitely on pace for)

Edited: 05/18/2014 at 04:56 PM by arch_8ngel

May 16, 2014 at 12:11:09 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania

I know this prob isnt a top 10 score, but hey, ill take it

i know i can point rack much more too, as i finished the game with an extra guy still

May 16, 2014 at 10:34:07 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Curious how any of your point-pressers are benchmarking...

And seriously, fuck those blocks at the beginning of Mission 4!!!

OK, so I did some testing during lunch (this wasn't an official score, since I save-stated to check timing to make loops in the caves, etc)

Mission 1:
Stage 1 -- +47k
Stage 2 -- +15k

Total Score After Mission 1: 62k

Mission 2:
Stage 1 -- +40k

Total Score After Mission 2: 102k

Mission 3:
Stage 1 -- +50k
Stage 2 -- +10k (+10k per cycle -- only did one cycle, but 2 or 3 may be survivable)
Stage 3 -- +40k (+20k per cycle -- you can get two cycles done if you don't get the snot kicked out of you by the Williams)
Stage 4 -- +20k

Total Score After Mission 2: 222k

Mission 4:
Stage 1 -- +40k (this was VERY tight on time, realistically you'll score less than that)
Stage 2 -- +10k (had 1/3 of my life and half the timer left, could have killed some more turboWilliams for sure)
Stage 3 -- +40k (by the machine gunner -- "lost" one of my abobos, so there was probably 5-10k still on the table)

Total Score By Machine Gun Boss: 312k

I can pretty easily see how the Twin Galaxies record of 330k was done.

I am hoping to break 300k, myself, but I am sure somebody else who grew up on this game will be able to pull it off (I never played past the Mission 3 Abobo's as a kid, and have only actually killed the final boss on one occassion)

And actually, if you make to the last boss with lives to spare... get killed and re-headbutt the two Abobos and two Chintais for BIG extra points (probably at an exchange rate of 20k-30k per life -- meaning a flawless run to the end could actually hit something close to 400k, total)

Yet-another-edit:

From a point-pressing standpoint, I think the ideal would be to reach Mission 3 Stage 3 (the blue cave) with 2 spare lives and expend all of them down to your last since that level is a guaranteed 40k per life (2 cycles of the cave).

I don't think the final battle sequence is nearly as lucrative, and on top of that, Mission 3 Stage 3 is 1 Abobo at a time, 4 abobo's total in 2 cycles.  So you are pretty much guaranteed to be able to go damageless plus exclusive headbutts.

That would make it possible to break 300k before  the end of Mission 3....

Edited: 05/16/2014 at 03:14 PM by arch_8ngel

May 16, 2014 at 9:05:05 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
I'm pretty much hitting your estimates for stages 1 & 2 arch 8ngel. Stage 3 onward is where s*** starts to hit the fan though. It seems like Williams and Ropers level up in accordance to your level. They just seem more aggressive the higher leveled I get early on. I start to get decimated by them in Stage 3, especially if I get caught in a jump-kick loop. Not only that, but aside from the guaranteed head butts against the Chintais and, on occasion, the Abobos, there's not enough time to head butt everyone in the first section of that mission. I find myself taking too many extra hits now that I'm getting really greedy with the hi-score challenge.

May 16, 2014 at 11:05:57 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
i actually didnt really try too hard to grind for points

granted, i certainly did when i could...but...if i apply the above strategy, im sure i could go far

May 16, 2014 at 11:26:16 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I'm pretty much hitting your estimates for stages 1 & 2 arch 8ngel. Stage 3 onward is where s*** starts to hit the fan though. It seems like Williams and Ropers level up in accordance to your level. They just seem more aggressive the higher leveled I get early on. I start to get decimated by them in Stage 3, especially if I get caught in a jump-kick loop. Not only that, but aside from the guaranteed head butts against the Chintais and, on occasion, the Abobos, there's not enough time to head butt everyone in the first section of that mission. I find myself taking too many extra hits now that I'm getting really greedy with the hi-score challenge.

Avoiding the jump,kicks is all about recognizing when they are going to happen.
basically, move in fast and headbutt, if they duck get out of the way before they jump kick.

you have to be willing to break their knuckles with your face.

(also, timer-wise, mission 3 stage 1 cuts it close... Definitely spend the time to headbutt the Chintais and the Abobos, but everybody else you can grease as quickly as possible)

May 17, 2014 at 12:44:53 AM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
65,800 (Updated 5/18/14)

After seeing everyone either post a great score or a long run so far this week, I feel out of place with this posting. Honestly, I've always sucked at this game and, for the first time in almost 25 years since I first played this game, I finally made it to Stage 4. I'm unsure if I should feel proud or really unfulfilled. I know I left a lot of points get away by either skipping or taking the easy way around some enemies or bosses since I just wanted to try a long run. Anyway, I'm hoping to improve, but just in case my weekend gets hectic, here's my entry for the week.

UPDATE: Done for the week, couldn't master the headbutt attack.

Edited: 05/18/2014 at 10:12 PM by EgasKrad

May 17, 2014 at 12:57:03 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Good run EgasKrad, you got pretty far in the game, almost reached the last section.

May 17, 2014 at 5:40:14 AM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan

i actually didnt really try too hard to grind for points

granted, i certainly did some bitchin' ollies and gleam the cube whenever i could...

I think you are playing a different game, dude.

May 17, 2014 at 8:54:59 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: EgasKrad

After seeing everyone either post a great score or a long run so far this week, I feel out of place with this posting. Honestly, I've always sucked at this game and, for the first time in almost 25 years since I first played this game, I finally made it to Stage 4. I'm unsure if I should feel proud or really unfulfilled. I know I left a lot of points get away by either skipping or taking the easy way around some enemies or bosses since I just wanted to try a long run. Anyway, I'm hoping to improve, but just in case my weekend gets hectic, here's my entry for the week.

I guess it could be worse, at least Mode B wasn't used in any way

Since you managed to get that far, you can probably triple your score just by learning to fight inside the reach of Chintais and Abobos so you can safely headbutt them exclusively.

those guys are more than half of the available points in the game, it seems.

May 17, 2014 at 1:17:59 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin

Since you managed to get that far, you can probably triple your score just by learning to fight inside the reach of Chintais and Abobos so you can safely headbutt them exclusively.

Yeah, I've noticed, but they still give me a lot of issues.  Since I struggle with them, I've mainly been using the elbow agiant them since it takes the least amount of hits, but I know, that also kills my score.  I've tried the headbutt, but it's a work in progress for me.  I'll definately keep working on it with the time I have left, so thanks.

Also, thanks guillavoie.  In my past runs I had issues in the stage three caves and in the run I posted everything just fell into place and I hit all my jumps for once.  Now if I can put that together with focusing on points I'll be all set.

Edited: 05/17/2014 at 01:18 PM by EgasKrad

May 17, 2014 at 1:55:34 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Yeah, I've noticed, but they still give me a lot of issues.  Since I struggle with them, I've mainly been using the elbow agiant them since it takes the least amount of hits, but I know, that also kills my score.  I've tried the headbutt, but it's a work in progress for me.  I'll definately keep working on it with the time I have left, so thanks.

For what it's worth, I find headbutting Abobos to be consistently "safer" than giving them elbows.

Something about facing them while inside their reach seems to make me less likely to get hit than the distance required to strike them with an elbow, since the headbutt strike distance is so short.

If you aren't able to maneuver directly into headbutt range, you can jump kick them and then stand about shin-height to be safe when they get up.

May 17, 2014 at 3:52:20 PM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan

first time playing this one, man is that sad haha pretty cool ill have to revisit sometime when i have more time.  Cant believe this one eluded me for all these years

looks like you can get some pretty sweet scores based on what has been posted nice job gang!

Currently Playing mario sunshine, Lost vikings and paper mario color splash hd

Edited: 05/17/2014 at 09:04 PM by BilltownSparty

May 17, 2014 at 4:26:13 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Originally posted by: BilltownSparty

first time playing this one, man is that sad haha pretty cool ill have to revisit sometime when i have more time.  Cant believe this one eluded me for all these years

looks like you can get some pretty sweet scores based on what has been posted nice job gang!

The double Abobos.  I think thats everybody's first major hurdle when playing this game seriously for the first time.  They're not as intimidating one at a time when you get a feel for their safe zone.  Those two at once still make me panic though.

I broke 300K today thanks to a re-loop of the purple cave.  Definitely doable if you don't take damage from the stalagtites and manage the Chintais well.  Too bad I forgot to put my screen name on the TV =/

Edited: 05/17/2014 at 04:28 PM by Balloon_Kid

May 17, 2014 at 4:39:52 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I broke 300K today thanks to a re-loop of the purple cave.  Definitely doable if you don't take damage from the stalagtites and manage the Chintais well.  Too bad I forgot to put my screen name on the TV =/
You had the re-loop the blue cave, as well, to get that number, right?

May 17, 2014 at 8:07:15 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
No, I don't even bother with that one since I usually lose too much life on the Williams to risk it.  It's just this game offers so many free points once you learn how to get consistent head butts off the Chintais and Abobos w/o taking damage.  I managed to reach 300K again and just updated my score.  I hit it after killing the two Chintais in the final stretch of Mission 4.

May 18, 2014 at 1:17:05 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Score edit.

Edited: 05/18/2014 at 08:17 PM by gutsman004