Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Me for the past 2 hours...

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:56:57 AM
ZoOmer (40)
(B H) < Meka Chicken >
California

Has anyone beaten this game?  Not sure I have the nerve or sanity to persist.  I swear this game has the largest player hit detection area out of any game i've ever played lmao!

-------------------------

FS/Trade List  |  My LA Treasure Hunt thread  |  Mario WTB list  |  Black Box WTB list

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:01:54 AM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Never beat it, I havent even beat a level in these game. Congrats on actualy sitting down and givener though, I called it quits after aboot 40 minutes. That game is tough.

Playas Guide Logo

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:07:43 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Oh God, Silver Surfer.

If any game can be on par with Battletoads in difficulty- it's Silver Surfer.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:23:52 AM
ZoOmer (40)
(B H) < Meka Chicken >
California
Haha yeah it's frustrating, I managed to beat 3 of the 1st stages but never a stage 2. I think they blew their budget on the music and gave up on level and enemy design.

FS/Trade List  |  My LA Treasure Hunt thread  |  Mario WTB list  |  Black Box WTB list

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:08:37 AM
galacticlint (99)
< Meka Chicken >
United States

Edited: 08/06/2012 at 05:28 AM by galacticlint

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:32:53 AM
GhostNinja (28)
(Josh B.) < El Ripper >
United Kingdom
I've only played it once (a couple of weeks ago), but I have the music on my PC. It's pretty damn hard though, I think I could do a few of the stages with some perserverance, but probably not the whole game any time soon.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:54:25 AM
fsped09 (234)
(( nes-city.com )) < King Solomon >
New York
Damn hard game...

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:12:05 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
(Megan Roberts) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina

Yeah, I beat Silver Surfer, back in 2008, twice. Was one very hard game for me. For one, the Silver Surfer is way too damn large a target, the game has two points of view, horizontal scrolling stages, and vertical scrolling stages, its not as bad on the horizontal parts, but the vertical areas give you very little room to move, nor enough time to react, but both are very difficult to get anywhere in, so easy to smack into a wall or one of the hordes of flying enemies cluttering up the screen. Plus, this for both perspectives, enemies sometimes take way too many hits, can't seem to fire fast enough to kill them all before having to take evassive action or get crashed into by them, same problem I have with Starship Hector, both games have a weak ass character or ship, and stronger than typical regular enemies. This is one of few shmups that a rapid-fire feature was necessary (at first) for me. But then I got good, playing it enough I was able to remember where every enemy would appear and would be ready ahead of time to either shoot the hell out of them, or avoid them, and it did help much not dying so much and keeping the options for added firepower.

So while at first I thought this game would be impossible for me to beat without turbo fire function, I surprised myself, I beat Silver Surfer! Twice! Nice!

Silver Surfer
08/20/08
1st game (1st time ever): beat it with 23 deaths / 2 continues used, score upon 1st continue 675.550 Magik Domain-Section 3
2nd game: beat it with 8 deaths / no continues used, score at end of game 609.400

And here I thought of Silver Surfer as one of the worst games I owned then, but then after having given it my all during the few days that I played it then, I was wrong, the game is actually pretty damn good. Its got its weak points, one being that you have no rapid fire (just lots of button mashing til your fingers fall off) and enemies take so many hits to start with, and actually I guess that's really my only big gripe, this being as how slow my finger speed is on my right hand, but I pulled it off to my surprise, getting better each time I played it. Problem is I have to play the stages in a certain order to get through them, such as I can't play Mephisto's or Firelord's stages first, because of the lack of decent firepower and slow firing rate of my fingers, and if I die on the first section of either, most likely I won't beat those stages. Typically I started with Emperor's stage since it isn't too difficult, followed by Mephisto if I ended Emperor with enough power, then either Firelord or Possessor, and ending with another easy stage Reptyl. After a while I was getting so good as to keep all my power through several stages in a row without even dying. Its all a matter of getting powered up and staying that way, at least through the difficult sections, but then this is typical of most shmups.

That was a good day, during a time in my life when I would whoop one game after a another, not only did I beat Silver Surfer, but also Wolverine on the same day, both games for the first time, and both very hard, but great games once you get good enough at them.

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:12:36 AM
Jazz-man3 (0)
(Matt Bird) < Cherub >
United Kingdom
Good work sticking at it for 2 hours! I get annoyed with mega man games fairly quickly so silver surfer would destroy me.

Matt B here pleased to meet you :D 

Playing Mega Man 3 :D

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:29:06 AM
videogamehunter (56)
(Tyler Bartsch) < Ridley Wrangler >
Kentucky
I never play that game. But I heard its hard as hell.

My videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/hotanime32   

New Video - Why You Should Get A Retron 5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p...

My Drawings - http://videogamehunter.deviantart.com/

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:55:38 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
I used to finish it for fun back in the early 90s as my brother bought it and then I claimed it sometime later on. That's then though, I know I'd get ripped to pieces on it now as it's totally unforgiving and I don't have the ability to cool my temper long enough to try it again.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:25:17 PM
galacticlint (99)
< Meka Chicken >
United States

Edited: 08/06/2012 at 05:28 AM by galacticlint

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:30:27 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I wish I would have rented it as a kid just so I could say I played it, but on second thought I might have ended up traumatized...

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:31:58 PM
rokubungi (164)
(The Guardian) < Ridley Wrangler >
Tennessee
I've beaten the reptile levels and one other level back in the day.. don't know if I could do it now.

If you have any GBA signage or kiosk I would be interested. Please send me a PM because I'm only here about once a month now but I'm still VERY interested in large system signage or small playable kiosks related to the GBA.

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:46:50 PM
ZoOmer (40)
(B H) < Meka Chicken >
California
My brother recorded me playing it a bit that day so for your viewing pleasure... "or annoyance" I present Possessor Section 2.

sorry for the shaky iphone camerawork

(keep in mind I really wasnt playing seriously so please no "you suck" comments, we were joking around with each-other in exaggeration so... enjoy  haha)

Edited: 12/07/2011 at 11:51 PM by ZoOmer

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:34:59 AM
Nightowljrm (42)
(Joseph Morgan) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
I have yet to experience the infamous joy that Silver Surfer bestows upon the player. Mainly because I refuse to emulate and buying Silver Surfer is really low on my priorities list, especially because it's a bad and not very unique game. I'd rather buy a ColorDreams game over Silver Surfer just because those are typically more unique.

But I do know how you feel. I played Ghosts 'n Goblins over eight hours a day for three days in order to beat it and I got tired of hearing this: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/cons... Good luck in conquering this game. Trust me, it'll be worth it. You feel like Godzilla on steroids whenever you pwn the face off a game that's notorious for being insanely difficult.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:03:55 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
I've beat it, seems easy to me. I was going to do a no death run, but just never got around to it. Maybe soon....

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:29:19 AM
sconley666 (21)
(Sean C) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
Originally posted by: JosephLeo

Oh God, Silver Surfer.

If any game can be on par with Battletoads in difficulty- it's Silver Surfer.

True sir, true....but at least I like Battletoads.  It took me 10 years to figure out how to beat the Turbo Tunnel! Now I am just stuck on the next level.  I hope some day I will actually beat it.

"Bionic Commando needs a jump button like Tetris needs a life bar." --cradelit

Dec 10, 2011 at 2:30:42 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
It's a game you can't just pick up and go. I got pretty close to the end when I was playing a few hours a night, and then I put it down a few days. Picked it up and barely beat a single level. Now that it's been over a year, I'll be lucky to get that far on a first attempt. That said, once you start getting into it the game is tough to put down. And the wear on your trigger thumb is nothing compared to trying to climb the stairs in Ghostbusters, so don't even go there

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee