Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Super 8 bit" console is back NES PCB reproduction now better than ever

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:41:23 PM
low_budget (0)

(Nick Fury) < Little Mac >
United States
A couple months ago I started a project to make a NES clone circuit board that uses the original CPU and PPU chips. I'm hoping this PCB will be 100% compatible with NES games and accessories.

The official Nintendo NES systems had various annoyances.
The front loader had a poorly designed ZIF connector and lockout chip.
The top loader had only RF video out.
I know mods are available to fix most of these issues, but I see them as a band aid fix.

I have designed Atari s-video mods in the past and was looking for more of a challenge.

The PCB I'm designing will correct these flaws as well as add new features:
1. Top loader with gold plated contacts, should be compatible with Game Genie and the Powerpak.
2. Can use either composite or RGB PPU chip and has on board amplifiers.
3. Better sound amplifier that can output stereo or mono sound. Has on board gain adjustment for each sound channel. 3rd sound channel from Powerpak or Famicom cart converter can be mixed in as well.
4. 2A switching voltage regulator can also provide 5v to video encoder board (for RGB.)
5. Fits in Polycase AG-85 case
6. Smaller size

I hope to have a prototype board ready for testing in early November.
I'll try to update my progress weekly, assuming there is progress.

Edited: 05/01/2015 at 12:43 AM by low_budget

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:51:32 PM
takeshi (13)
(Takeshi C) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
sounds cool, looking forward to updates

-------------------------
currently translating Legend of the River King for Famicom

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:52:17 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Sounds like an ambitious project! Are you finding many donors for the CPU and PPU, or how does that work? What will you use for top loading connectors, NES101's?

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:58:13 PM
takeshi (13)
(Takeshi C) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
this combined with the homebrew PPU could be very cool

currently translating Legend of the River King for Famicom

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:15:38 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Does someone owe you money? Why would you want to repossess a board?

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:24:50 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Does someone owe you money? Why would you want to repossess a board?

Haha nice one! I didn't even notice the first (or second time for that matter) time I looked at it

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:30:20 PM
ThatNintendoGuy (47)
(Jason B) < El Ripper >
Michigan
I am definitely subbing to this thread keep us posted.

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:06:25 PM
Duke.Togo (114)
(Christopher Cantrell) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Very interesting indeed. I'll be watching.

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:49:43 PM
MottZilla (0)
(Mott Zilla) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I would suggest having a Famicom cartridge port in addition to a 72 pin NES port. The only thing to consider is you would not want to have two carts plugged in at the same time. Physical barriers could be used somehow. The Twin Famicom won't allow you to switch to disk mode if a cartridge is inserted.

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:02:13 AM
Duke.Togo (114)
(Christopher Cantrell) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Originally posted by: MottZilla

I would suggest having a Famicom cartridge port in addition to a 72 pin NES port. The only thing to consider is you would not want to have two carts plugged in at the same time. Physical barriers could be used somehow. The Twin Famicom won't allow you to switch to disk mode if a cartridge is inserted.

I second this for sure. A simple slide switch with a plastic stop would be all you need.

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:29:51 AM
low_budget (0)

United States
I'm not sure what the correct abbreviation of reproduction is, repro? Anyway I corrected it. It seems no matter how many times I proofread my posts there's some little mistake in them, lol.

The CPU is the same on all vs. arcade boards, Playchoice, and the NTSC Nintendo consoles, these can be ordered from Mike's Arcade I believe.
The RGB PPU can only come from a Playchoice 10, vs. Duck Hunt, or vs. Tennis.
The composite PPU is from a NTSC NES or Famicom.

Careful desoldering can yield a cheap CPU and composite PPU from a NES or Famicom. I was able to do it with a 40 watt soldering iron and cheap desoldering pump.

I found a great replacement for the original 72 pin cart connector at Digikey, part # A31721-ND. I tested it and it works. No gutting game genies or top loader NES systems necessary.

My original plan was to include Famicom and NES cart connectors, but it would have made the board too big to fit in the case I wanted to use. Everything BARELY fits as it is. You can always use a famicom cart converter though.

One problem:
I'm not quite sure what diode arrays DA1-DA4 in the NES do exactly, they are connected to the controller port pins. They are not present on the Famicom from what I can tell. I wasn't able to find a replacement for this yet, any help would be appreciated.

My plan is to order 3 prototype boards and do some thorough testing. I'm reading up on any technical info I can to make sure these work. If there's a problem, I'll revise the design.

Edited: 10/03/2012 at 01:35 AM by low_budget

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:04:07 PM
SnoopKatt (16)
(Anthony B) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Nice project. Sounds a lot better than my idea (I was planning on going to an original toaster NES, yanking out the cartridge loader, cutting a hole on the top, and putting in a top loader cartridge slot) lol.

Couple questions: will the controller ports be spaced the same way, and will it support high-quality audio (like Mr. Gimmick)?

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:06:19 PM
Pemdawg (4)

(Andy Pemrich) < Little Mac >
Wisconsin
You've already got me sold. Subbed. And custom PPU seconded.

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:22:53 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: low_budget

One problem:
I'm not quite sure what diode arrays DA1-DA4 in the NES do exactly, they are connected to the controller port pins. They are not present on the Famicom from what I can tell. I wasn't able to find a replacement for this yet, any help would be appreciated.
Probably just voltage protection.  Famicom with its hardwired controllers wouldn't need it.  Are they there on the AV Famicom?

Oct 3, 2012 at 7:05:08 PM
Jero (1)
(Jeroen ) < El Ripper >
Netherlands
How will you make the gold plated connectors? That stuff isn't exactly cheap to produce.

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:23:10 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Will this replacement NES be made in production runs when it's done? It'd be pretty cool to own a modern and fully compatible NES clone.

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:24:14 PM
Jero (1)
(Jeroen ) < El Ripper >
Netherlands
It wont really be a clone, considering it requires you to supply the chips from an actual console.

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:30:06 PM
ulasamosa (280)
(James Ulizza) < Bowser >
Ohio
sounds cool, good luck brining it to fruition. Depending on cost I'd be down

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:13:47 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Originally posted by: jero32

It wont really be a clone, considering it requires you to supply the chips from an actual console.

I don't really see the point then if the original systems have to be killed for those chips...

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:17:12 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
So you can have 10x better AV and such, and then better cart slots too.

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:59:46 PM
Jero (1)
(Jeroen ) < El Ripper >
Netherlands
I doubt it'll be 10x better if it stil uses the composite chips (using rgb is something else, yes I know that chip is also supported).
There's room for improvement but I doubt it'll matter THAT much.

Edited: 10/03/2012 at 11:00 PM by Jero

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:00:13 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
Yeah, that was a dramatization, but it will be better.

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:54:12 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
If I could simply find an NOAC that doesn't swap the 25% and 50% duty cycles, I'll be a happy camper. I really don't like the idea of destroying consoles to build this. Maybe you could also work on programming an NOAC that doesn't suck into an FPGA chip. Have a third socket on the board for the FPGA, and just leave the CPU and PPU sockets unpopulated. Then you can use the "no vintage hardware was harmed" disclaimer.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:25:31 AM
Jero (1)
(Jeroen ) < El Ripper >
Netherlands
To do that he'd need a bunch of logic level converters and stuff. In which case it's just alot (ALOT) cheaper to do everything on the fpga and just ditch a cart slot interface.

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:34:15 PM
low_budget (0)

United States
Presently I think the only way to build a NES with 100% compatibility and correct sound is to use the original CPU/PPU chips. I'm sure modern replacements could be made that are fully compatible, just nobody has managed to do it yet. I don't feel too bad removing the CPU and PPU from a NES since they're not that rare. The NES I removed the chips from had a bad memory chip anyway.
I recently got a Playchoice 10 PCB and it worked and was in really good shape so I can't bear to remove its chips.
I did get a Nintendo Vs. Duck Hunt PCB also, so I'll be able to test RGB output using its PPU.

I'm looking forward to that FPGA based PPU replacement project though. The RGB PPU is getting somewhat rare (and expensive.)

The only thing I have left to do on the Super 8 circuit board design is add the ground plane.
Hopefully I'll be able to order some prototypes next week.

I had room left over, so I left the diode arrays and provisions for the 330pf capacitors that connect to the controller port data lines. These may not be needed since they're only for ESD protection, I guess if you plug in your NES controller after dragging your feet across a plush carpet wearing fuzzy pajamas, it won't hurt the 74HC368.

I added a potentiometer for the auxiliary sound input, and fattened the 5v supply lines going to the CPU and PPU.
There's jumper points for the 3 available sound input channels so they can be configured a variety of ways. Stereo sound separation can be made adjustable by adding a potentiometer. If you don't like the NES "fake stereo," you can combine 1 and 2 with a low value resistor and get genuine mono sound.

I used the reset circuit from the Famicom since there is no lockout chip. The reset line of the CPU connects to a momentary switch to ground. Much simpler than the NES reset circuit. The reset line of the PPU is connected to 5v.

I did quite a bit of error checking so I'm fairly confident I didn't make any mistakes.
Ordering PCBs can be a gamble. You have to get it right the first time, otherwise you wasted the money.

I want to test the prototype board first with the CPU and PPU I removed from my donor NES. The top loader has issues with its composite video, so I'm hoping composite will be high quality on my board.

I'm not sure how I will mount the controller ports in the case yet, I'll have to worry about that later. I ordered some NES controller ports from Parallax so hopefully I can mount them in the case and have it look good.

Edited: 12/07/2012 at 05:14 PM by low_budget