Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Mysterious" SNES Mini, CIB Fake? SNES mini circa 2004

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:38:21 PM
tkm015 (3)

< Eggplant Wizard >
*titled changed bacause no one has any idea what this is yet*

So back in the day (about 2004) I won an ebay auction for a CIB SNES Mini.  Never really thought to check if it was legit or not (got it for a decent price), but it turns out after all these years, I'm not exactly sure of the origin (Chinese bootleg perhaps?).

It is CIB with the two controllers, A/V cable, power cable, etc.   I was researching a bit and perhaps are these bootlegs minis rare? 

I'll take some pics of the contents, box, etc and if needed, I can take some mainboard pictures as well.  No idea on the value and honestly I am not sure what to do with it.  It would make a cool addition to a SNES collection though as honestly--it's pretty well done.

Edited: 04/03/2014 at 04:27 PM by tkm015

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:45:22 PM
Scott84 (11)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Ontario
Pics??

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:22:24 PM
tkm015 (3)

< Eggplant Wizard >
This is a *damn* good reproduction.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:23:17 PM
tkm015 (3)

< Eggplant Wizard >
It also ran a few sample games that I threw at it and the controllers felt solid as well.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:43:57 PM
MysticalNinja (16)
(Steven Goobie) < Crack Trooper >
Ontario
Didnt know there were bootlegs of this! I wonder if they made money on them! I cant see this being worth too much less than a normal snes mini, depends on how much someone wants to pay for it.
heres a interesting link about it! http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?i...

-------------------------

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:49:33 PM
tkm015 (3)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Yep, that's one of the links I referred to when I dug this out of storage and was trying to figure out WTF it was. No idea how many made it to north America. I did find my original paypal transaction and I politely dropped the original seller an email asking him where he got it from. No response yet, but frankly I'm not expecting one.

I could post the link to his current webpage though.

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:08:08 AM
RiverCityRansom2 (7)

< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Quite easy to spot seemingly, everything looks off. Does the Box on the back not have the window for the "Serial number" Or is it just not punched out?

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:51:44 PM
tkm015 (3)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: RiverCityRansom2

Quite easy to spot seemingly, everything looks off. Does the Box on the back not have the window for the "Serial number" Or is it just not punched out?

The box does have the serial number area on the back, but it is not punched out.  I can take a pic if that helps folks.

Quite easy to spot today, but in 2005 who really would have thought reproduction SNES Minis were floating around?

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:31:17 AM
NintendoKid (0)
(Nick C.) < Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Yea..the back of the box to this I own is slightly different. I still don't think your console is fake...April Fool's Joke?

What has you convinced that yours is a fake?

*Yeah, looking into this topic further..I never took a SNS-101 apart before but it appears there are a few things different about yours.

That's interesting...

Edited: 04/03/2014 at 09:48 AM by NintendoKid

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:18:33 PM
tkm015 (3)

< Eggplant Wizard >
I wish it were an April's Fool joke. But the more I dig into this, the more I really have no idea what this is exactly. It's engineered decently well and items like the controllers are much better than any 3rd party ones I've used before. Why someone would take the time to reproduce/re-engineer this console is beyond me as it couldn't have been cheap to do and the finished product actually is pretty nice.

I've listed it FO/FT here: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Perhaps someone else can follow this through that has more knowledge than I. You don't find them everywhere though, that's for sure. And if people have them, chances are they probably don't know it because of the quality of the console.

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:19:11 PM
RiverCityRansom2 (7)

< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: NintendoKid

Yea..the back of the box to this I own is slightly different. I still don't think your console is fake...April Fool's Joke?

What has you convinced that yours is a fake?

*Yeah, looking into this topic further..I never took a SNS-101 apart before but it appears there are a few things different about yours.

That's interesting...

Look at all the things that seem odd about it? Like the box doesnt have the punch out window to scan the serial number. The controllers look funny? the buttons on the snes itself look funny. Box seems too thick. Back of controller has famicom and extra logos(giveaway there something is up.)

Inside of the system looks weird...no distinguishing chips.

Probably some company out of HK had the line and the know how to copy them and made so many then shut down.

All in all it does look pretty precise. Gotta remember if its a SNES mini it was later in the SNES life span and someone by then probably figure out how to mimic the board and make copies. And considering N64 was coming out and the SNES was still cool people looking to buy em later could be suckered by a quaint fake system.

Edited: 04/03/2014 at 05:20 PM by RiverCityRansom2

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:12:49 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Yeah I think it's obviously a bootleg. Here are more reasons on top of what was already mentioned:
-Nintendo Logo on System Bottom Label cheesy looking and definitely does not match my mini
-The verbiage on the top right of the System Bottom Label is different than my mini - this one is vague while mine says Made in Japan etc
-Nintendo logo on front of box looks off some
-Mario/Yoshi don't look very crisp on the front of the box
-AC Adapter is generic
-The word "design" is actually misspelled on the back of the box (correct on real boxes)

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:01:38 AM
tkm015 (3)

< Eggplant Wizard >
I'm finding some threads on this system, but all of them are from ~2005. Guess a few crates made their way to the US before resellers realized that they were fakes.

Also, seems some folks were trying to adapt a switch to them so they could run them either 50hz/60hz as it was a simple thing to do, supposedly. The system board does have an area that is labeled as such.

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:49:42 AM
NintendoKid (0)
(Nick C.) < Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Yeah, I see all of that stuff that's different, mentioned. I didn't look super close and also thought he could have thrown that sticker to the controller for added touch.
I see what everyone is saying and agree it probably came out of Hong Kong.
It appears almost like this was allowed to be in production...but that doesn't seem right, either.

Apr 4, 2014 at 11:21:42 AM
Pikkon (8)
(スーパーファミコンコレクター ) < Meka Chicken >
Florida
It's a definite boot,I have seen this before on the net.There's even a youtube vid on one.

Here is a real snes mini motherboard for comparison.
http://kyorune.com/modding/file.p...

But that thing is cool,good luck on your sale.

Edited: 04/04/2014 at 11:23 AM by Pikkon