Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Legend of Zelda & Adventure of Link How games should be made

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:07:26 PM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario

I just finished a playthrough of these two NES games after having not played them for probably 20 years. Everyone knows they are frequently at the top of the "best" lists, but I wonder if people truly understand how amazing they are, even to this day.

I played with absolutely no outside help, maps, or FAQs. I used only the printed manuals. Of course I still remembered a few details, having played through both of these games many times as a child, but I remembered surprisingly few specifics.

I drew my own maps as I went along. It was interesting that in the first game, I drew maps for the overworld, but not the dungeons, but in the second game, I needed maps of the dungeons and not the overworld. I was shocked at how small the overworld is in Zelda 2. The game mainly takes place in the towns and dungeons, with the overworld just being something to do as you walk from place to place. Conversely, in the first game, the overworld and dungeons have the same meaty feeling.

I also wrote down everything everyone said to me in both games. Even though I played through both of these games in the span of about a week and wouldn't really forget, it still helped me and didn't take much more time.

I surprised myself by being able to beat the final dungeon in Zelda 2 in the first try. It is pretty huge and I wasn't able to map the whole thing, but maybe that just means I didn't take the scenic route to the final battle.

I had an immense amount of fun playing these again. They blow most of the NES and even SNES library out of the water with regards to pure enjoyment. I highly suggest anyone who has not played these for 10+ years to go in blind and enjoy the ride!

-------------------------
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:11:40 PM
Mario's Right Nut (352)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas

Yea, these are awesome. I've not played them in a long time. Well, Zelda 1 I beat about a year an a half ago, but the others I've not played in a while (Zelda 2, OoT, and MM). I've never even tried the Link to the Past. Someday I'll get the time.

I do however have a bunch of bead art Zelda guys all over my game room.

Horray!

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Edited: 06/22/2011 at 05:16 PM by Mario's Right Nut

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:29:13 PM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
I feel the same way about them Zing. They are easily my two favorite games ever.

Oh, and Swanson, those are pimptastic. I wants

Edited: 06/22/2011 at 06:44 PM by burdger

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:51:25 PM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < El Ripper >
United States
I completely agree about Legend Zelda. I play through it at least once a year, and can almost run through the first play through. I have only beat Adventures of Link twice in my life. Once when I was a kid (with help from my game master mom) and once in 2002 when I got back into NES collecting.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:35:29 PM
Zing (23)
Ontario
I remember finishing Zelda 2 twice in one day just to see what would happen if you beat it a second time (spoiler: nothing different). I believe I finished the game around a dozen times. I distinctly remember once finishing the game within three hours without continuing.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:47:00 PM
Nirvana (1)
(Kori Winstead) < King Solomon >
Louisiana
I've never been able to get into this game for some reason, but since I'm practically doing a Zelda marathon atm, I intend to complete all of them, this included.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:57:22 PM
renodakota (4)
(xxxxx xxxxxx) < Meka Chicken >
United States
i have been playing through all the 2d Zeldas again with my girlfriend because she only played the original and i always forget how great all of those games are. We are working through the oracles right now and have been really impressed by them. i also really enjoyed the minnish cap although it was so short. i don't think you beat the blend of gameplay in these games.

I don't even like nintendo games. Play pinball.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:04:37 PM
Hallucard (10)
(Kevin Larson) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
100TH POST!!!!

This is the kind of topic for me.
The old Zelda games never get old. NES are fantastic (still havent done second quest for some reason, and i have only beated Zelda 2 once...), personal favorite is Lttp. and even the Game boy ones are amazing. I loved the Oracle games.

3DS Friend Code: 4468-1134-5121
Nintndo Network ID (WiiU):  Hallucard

My eBay Profile: (My Auctions on eBay)

http://myworld.ebay.com/hallucard

My For Sale / WTB Thread

My Zelda collection

WTB:
BOXES:

JPN: Link to the Past/Four Swords.
Zelda No For Resale Carts. OoT N64, Phantom Hourglass, MM Grey (i know, i can dream though), Skyward Sword.
OTHER:
Zelda Barcode Battler II: Card Set (Japanese Item)

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:10:12 PM
ulasamosa (280)
(James Ulizza) < Bowser >
Ohio
I've still never beat the first Zelda after all these years. I do recall a day I was over at my buddies house and just decided I would beat Zelda II in one sitting and that I did do.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:47:36 PM
elhector (80)
(Hector Varga) < Lolo Lord >
Arizona
I actually just started the playing the 2nd quest of the first Zelda game. I never actually beat the 2nd quest so I'm going for it now. It is a lot harder than the 1st quest.

Check out my YouTube Channel

Social Media Junk:

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Come check out what I have for sale.

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:11:18 AM
Item90 (12)
(Micah Daby) < Eggplant Wizard >
Colorado
I love the games. Adventure of Link can be quite tough in certain sections, but is so rewarding. Of course, the first is a classic. The first Zelda game I ever owned and recall playing was Link's Awakening, and man, I really love it to this day. However, prior to that I remember seeing a cousin of mine playing a Link to the Past and I remember being stunned by the visuals (I was very young).

I also have yet to play through the second quest of the original, but that's for sure something I should get on soon.
Can't say enough about the games... I still get super excited every time I hear about a new one in production.

WTB: Donkey Kong Jr. Manual.  PM Me!

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:23:16 AM
GameBoyScotty (48)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Don Keyballs) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Yup. Till the day of my death, I will know how to jump str8 to fighting Tyson, get 30 dudes for LifeForce and Contra, and get through the Lost Woods. When I know I'm going to have several days off, with time to burn, I play through one of the Zeldas. Kid Icarus, is great in the same sense. Super challenging, nice long game, although the rewards aren't as satisfying. But you'll be so stoked, once you get the credit card! Hit that one next. Viva La Eggplant!

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:56:56 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I guess I'm the odd man out here. I hardly ever replay games, even my favorites. To this day Zelda: OoT is one of my all-time favs and I've beaten it exactly once. Same with Zelda 1 and Zelda II on NES... beaten exactly once.

Don't you guys have a tremendous backlog of games too? There's easily a few hundred games on my shelves that I'd like to play and beat one day. I feel like replaying a classic is a waste of time unless it's for a high score competition / with friends / or some other meaningful purpose.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:15:16 AM
StanJr (5)
(Stan D) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
I've been in the mood to run through AoL again, so this might just encourage me to do it. It might be my favorite Zelda game. The world just felt like it had more meat to it with towns and the varied landscape. Death Mountain was always so tough back in the day and with all the false passages had so much mystery. I wonder why those Alligator enemies never resurfaced? They were beasts!

jonebone, it only takes a couple of hours to run through an NES Zelda game (Second Quest, maybe a little more), so it doesn't really impact the backlog. I will not deny the backlog exists, however. Mainly with the modern games I have bought though, I tend to play the new classic stuff I get long before I get to the modern stuff.

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:26:50 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Pretty much every Zelda game I've ever played I've really enjoyed. The first three Zelda games will always hold a special place in my gaming heart. Game backlog or not,the Zelda games get played regardless.

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:04:00 PM
mario's left nut (163)
(Poster Nutbag) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Originally posted by: GameBoyScotty

Yup. Till the day of my death, I will know how to jump str8 to fighting Tyson, get 30 dudes for LifeForce and Contra, and get through the Lost Woods. When I know I'm going to have several days off, with time to burn, I play through one of the Zeldas. Kid Icarus, is great in the same sense. Super challenging, nice long game, although the rewards aren't as satisfying. But you'll be so stoked, once you get the credit card! Hit that one next. Viva La Eggplant!

God...Kid Icarus and Tyson...two games of which I will never beat!

Its so cool to still remember those game codes from 20 years ago! I can't imagine something like that happening in today's gaming scene but that's probably because I'm an old man. I'm actually about done on my first quest of Zelda (I've never beaten the game) but I'm making it a point to play through them all minus the handheld releases. Challenging, engaging and fun games like Zelda are few and far between....and the damn kids these days forget all about the originals that changed console gaming!

Do tigers sleep in lily patches, do rhinos run from thunder?

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:59:36 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
It's always a good day when Vito posts.

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:52:09 PM
Zing (23)
Ontario
I don't think I stressed enough how much I enjoy making maps for these NES games. The more basic technology means the maps are in a grid layout and easy to map. I had a lot of fun mapping out the overworld in Zelda and dungeons in Zelda II. I gave up on mapping the Zelda II overworld fairly quickly, as there is really nothing to map. It is pretty linear and the "hidden" magic and heart containers are very easy to find.

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:58:08 AM
edz9haan (80)

(9haan retro) < Meka Chicken >
Indonesia
congratulation man..how many days have you spent? i have the game but never played yet

NES Asian carts for cheap http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:19:27 PM
Lorfarius (0)
(Keith Lutener) < Little Mac >
United Kingdom
Zelda 2 still rates up there as one of my favourite NES games. Seems to get an unfair bashing but for the time it really was extraordinary, I'm actually glad they didn't just do a similar sequel to the first game.

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:06:12 PM
Sneak (37)

(Ryan K) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario

Like everybody else, I have fond memories of the both Zelda and Link. Mainly just the two first ones for the NES, and then later, the SNES one.  

Never really did get into any of the ones after the SNES.. Then again, I'm pretty much exclusively into retro-gaming.  Anything post SNES (regardless of the game) rarely gets a second glance from me.

Funny, back in the day, was anybody else like me? I remember before I had enough money to buy Zelda, I'd rent it as often as I can, and try to play (finish) it that way. More times than not, when I'd go to rent it again, my saved game would still be there, along with another renter's saved game. Always interesting to see how far they made it, or what stuff they had managed to find. Of course my parents would always be asking, you want to re-new this game again? Or, didn't we just rent that same game last week??

Great games, great memories!

Edited: 07/11/2011 at 01:07 PM by Sneak

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:56:31 PM
True6502 (0)
(Matthew L.) < Little Mac >
Pennsylvania
I never really got into the first Zelda on the NES. While I believe it is a milestone game, and a great one at that, I actually have not finished it to this date. Rather, I got into the Adventure of Link more so as a kid because I liked side scrollers and and the transition to that game from Mario Bros. was easier for me. I have gotten to the very last dungeon, but did not want to put the extra time and effort into beating it. My all time favorite has to be A Link to the Past though for having such an amazing world(s) to explore.

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:32:04 PM
KingYoshi (66)
(William Reed) < Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Legend of Zelda was awesome, but I never liked the Adventures of Link. I should probably go back and try to play it again someday. Maybe my opinion will change.

Check out my FS thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...
PLEASE contact me immediately if you have any of the following orphans for sale....Rule of Rose (PS2) manual only, Kuon (PS2) case and manual only, Haunting Ground (PS2) case and manual only.

Jul 23, 2011 at 1:35:03 AM
stillplayingnes (3)
(GenesisGuy ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
I like the NES Zelda games the best. Yeah Link to the Past is great but it's really just an enhanced Zelda 1. At least to me that's what its always felt like. Plus on the NES we had that 2nd Zelda which was so unlike the first. That idea of diverse sequels and taking a chance on something different was something special about the NES that you really didn't see with any of the consoles afterwards.