Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

2013 NintendoAge Weekly Contest Summer Tournament: Round 3 The Finals - Life Force Contest ends Sunday, 7/28/13 at 10 PM NA time

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:25:50 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Tier 1 - 290,710 (Game Completed!)

No death!

Edited: 07/26/2013 at 05:48 AM by gutsman004

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:49:54 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Tier 1 - 207,060

Oh so close to a no death. Killed by the infamous Konami bubbles. I'm happy with this starting score for the moment. Calling it a night and will try to improve this coming evening.
Wow...If that's your starting score, I have a feeling that I'm going to be in trouble by the end of the week!

-------------------------
2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:12:20 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Logo1285

Kevin, let me know if this is the way the photo should look according to the rules. If not, I'll post another soon the correct way. I think I have it right, though. What's a good score anyways? This was A LOT of trial and error.

Yep, looks good!  Tier 2 and 3 play until Life 0, so you did it correctly.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 07/24/2013 at 12:12 PM by bimmy_lee

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:38:04 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Tier 1 - 207,060

Oh so close to a no death. Killed by the infamous Konami bubbles. I'm happy with this starting score for the moment. Calling it a night and will try to improve this coming evening.
Wow...If that's your starting score, I have a feeling that I'm going to be in trouble by the end of the week!

Nah man. You're a great player and I know you'll put up a great score. I guess I have a slight early advantage since I used to play the crap out of this game as a kid so I've logged a bunch of hours on it. Of course I'm nowhere near the skill level of Mr. Votava,but one can try.

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:54:57 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States

Tier 1 - 207,060

Nah man. You're a great player and I know you'll put up a great score. I guess I have a slight early advantage since I used to play the crap out of this game as a kid so I've logged a bunch of hours on it. Of course I'm nowhere near the skill level of Mr. Votava,but one can try.

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:23:19 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland

Tier 1 - 207,060

Actually, you can have 2nd place, Guts. I have no interest in Maniac Mansion at all, but Metal Mech... Boy oh boy! I'd be more than happy to get 3rd place! Congrats on your score (I'm stuck on the volcano stage)

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:35:51 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I've got a score that I'm satisfied with and I'll probably end up using, although Tom might beat it ten times over. I'm still burned out from Ninja Gaiden 2. This game isn't nearly as cheap, but the one hit kills make it too easy to ruin your entire run with one simple mistake.

Jul 24, 2013 at 5:16:22 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

Tier 1 - 207,060

Actually, you can have 2nd place, Guts. I have no interest in Maniac Mansion at all, but Metal Mech... Boy oh boy! I'd be more than happy to get 3rd place! Congrats on your score (I'm stuck on the volcano stage)

The volcano stage always was the hardest 1 for me.I find the later stages much easier then that 1.And the ending sucks ! when you beat the last boss the credits should role.I hate it when games do shit like that.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Jul 24, 2013 at 6:34:30 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

I've got a score that I'm satisfied with and I'll probably end up using, although Tom might beat it ten times over. I'm still burned out from Ninja Gaiden 2. This game isn't nearly as cheap, but the one hit kills make it too easy to ruin your entire run with one simple mistake.

Man I hear you. It took me a while to put up this score honestly. That game was literally my last one of the night and I had basically had been playing it from around 10pm-3am. 90% of my runs were derailed in stage 3. That stage usually gives me problems,but while playing I sort of found some safe spots (I say that loosely) that has helped a lot. If I can get out of stage 3 and in the last stage avoid those flipping bubbles and get down the pattern of the barriers during the escape,I can no death this as aside from those 2 things,there's really not much to the last stage.

Edited: 07/24/2013 at 06:48 PM by gutsman004

Jul 24, 2013 at 6:59:59 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Man I hear you. It took me a while to put up this score honestly. That game was literally my last one of the night and I had basically had been playing it from around 10pm-3am. 90% of my runs were derailed in stage 3. That stage usually gives me problems,but while playing I sort of found some safe spots (I say that loosely) that has helped a lot. If I can get out of stage 3 and in the last stage avoid those flipping bubbles and get down the pattern of the barriers during the escape,I can no death this as aside from those 2 things,there's really not much to the last stage.

I lost track of how many runs that I put in, but I finally got a good one and I'm satisfied with my score although I wouldn't be shocked if everyone in the top 3 breaks 1 million based on the scores in the other rounds. I'm going to take your advice and play some RBI Baseball. I need a break from contests (at least until next week).

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:11:59 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

I lost track of how many runs that I put in, but I finally got a good one and I'm satisfied with my score although I wouldn't be shocked if everyone in the top 3 breaks 1 million based on the scores in the other rounds. I'm going to take your advice and play some RBI Baseball. I need a break from contests (at least until next week).

You gonna post your score last second like I did last round? Not sure if I can get a million....that's beating the game 4 times. We'll see though. If it were play until zero lives,then I'd say absolute. But on just one life is a tough task....especially since it's one hit and you're dead.

Oh,and be sure to try Bad News Baseball while you're at it too. It has the little league motif,but it's a great game! It's what Tecmo Baseball should have been.

Edited: 07/24/2013 at 08:16 PM by gutsman004

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:28:35 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

You gonna post your score last second like I did last round? Not sure if I can get a million....that's beating the game 4 times. We'll see though. If it were play until zero lives,then I'd say absolute. But on just one life is a tough task....especially since it's one hit and you're dead. Oh,and be sure to try Bad News Baseball while you're at it too. It has the little league motif,but it's a great game! It's what Tecmo Baseball should have been.
I may wait until Sunday to post my score for dramatic effect. I think you could get to a million just short of the fourth loop, but that would be pretty tough to pull off (unless you're Tom ).

Edited: 07/24/2013 at 08:29 PM by bearcat-doug

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:41:51 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

You gonna post your score last second like I did last round? Not sure if I can get a million....that's beating the game 4 times. We'll see though. If it were play until zero lives,then I'd say absolute. But on just one life is a tough task....especially since it's one hit and you're dead. Oh,and be sure to try Bad News Baseball while you're at it too. It has the little league motif,but it's a great game! It's what Tecmo Baseball should have been.
I may wait until Sunday to post my score for dramatic effect. I think you could get to a million just short of the fourth loop, but that would be pretty tough to pull off (unless you're Tom ).

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Going to try my best to get a million. And while I'm typing this,I just want to say that's it's been a pleasure gaming with everyone who's participated. It's been a very enjoyable first half of the season and I'm looking forward to the second half. In the past 6 months I've pushed my gaming to new heights and the credit for this goes to all you guys who week in and out post impressive scores to shoot for. You guys are awesome!

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:46:41 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Don't know how it double posted. Oh well.

Edited: 07/25/2013 at 12:25 AM by gutsman004

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:33:33 PM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
I had a pretty good run tonight. Might wait until tomorrow to post the score.

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:57:42 PM
BenPlusPlus (2)
(Ben Baird) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States

You can do it!!! Honestly when I fired it up tonight for the first time in a while,I could tell I was rusty. Died in some stupid spots. But as I've been playing this for the past couple of hours,it's coming back to me. I can feel the old skill level rapidly returning.

LOL!

Thanks! Hopefully I can scrape together some more time to practice. All my scores over the past few months are basically from 30 minutes a day of effort, and occasionally some extra weekend time. I can tell it's gonna take more than that if I want to finish the game once, let alone loop it, lol.

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:05:03 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Updated my score. Not as much of an improvement as I had hoped but an improvement nonetheless. Took a picture right after beating the last boss just in case I forgot in my mad scramble to dodge the barriers. Guess it really doesn't matter considering there is nothing to kill for points after besting the last boss and the score remains unchanged when you start again.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:55:45 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Going to try my best to get a million.

You seem to be on a mission, so I wouldn't be surprised if you pull it off. You have been on a hot streak lately so this would be a great week to get that first win!

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:03:55 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I just want to say that's it's been a pleasure gaming with everyone who's participated. It's been a very enjoyable first half of the season and I'm looking forward to the second half. In the past 6 months I've pushed my gaming to new heights and the credit for this goes to all you guys who week in and out post impressive scores to shoot for. You guys are awesome!

I want to second this too while I'm at it. Everybody that's played in the tournament has done a really great job. I already got the okay from Bimmy to donate my prize (if I'm lucky enough to win one) for a random drawing after the tournament for anyone that doesn't win one as my own personal thank you to everyone for making this a fun first half!

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:53:59 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Going to try my best to get a million.

You seem to be on a mission, so I wouldn't be surprised if you pull it off. You have been on a hot streak lately so this would be a great week to get that first win!

Well,a lot of my hot streak is due to the fact that the last 5 games we've played,including Life Force,I either owned as a kid or was able to frequently borrow from my friends. If we had been playing TMNT 3 or another game that I rarely or never played back then I would definitely be on a cold streak. There are several games in the second half that fit this bill,so unless they are pretty easy or I'm able to get a ton of practice in on them then I'm sure my scores on those won't be anything to write home about.
And with Tom here for this game I highly doubt I'll pick up my first win unless he just doesn't post. I hope he does post though.

Edited: 07/25/2013 at 12:59 PM by gutsman004

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:34:52 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

And with Tom here for this game I highly doubt I'll pick up my first win unless he just doesn't post. I hope he does post though.

I don't want to say that I'm shooting for 2nd place, but it wouldn't be much of a victory if he didn't play. I'd like to think that I'm sitting on a decent score, but I wouldn't be surprised if he could roll out of bed Sunday morning and beat it 10 times over.

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:22:26 PM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
175,640 (Score Updated!)

Getting a lot better. I used to play Life Force all the time but would get to like Stage 4 and quit. The practice is definitely paying off!

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:03:01 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland
I got my score, and it'll unfortunately be my last one as I go to Venice in Italy tommorrow... I think I'm gonna do a guillavoie on this one, as he didn't pass NG2... Nyuk nyuk nyuk! Come to papa, Mechie!

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:17:36 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland
293540!!! I hope this will be enough for my metal mech! That's what you get when I go away for a vacation!

Edited: 07/28/2013 at 06:11 PM by Vectrex28

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:41:22 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Logo1285

175,640 (Score Updated!)

Getting a lot better. I used to play Life Force all the time but would get to like Stage 4 and quit. The practice is definitely paying off!

Killed by the bubbles I see....