Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Upcoming changes/increases for international shipping costs into and out of the U.S. Trump administration to withdraw the USPS from the global postal union UPU after 50 years.

Sep 21 at 12:38:53 AM
MrNESGuy (33)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
A recent link shared in a blog post by ODE maker GDEMU who ships things from out of country into the US, actions by the USPS to leave a UPU trade group may mean large fluxuations in international shipping prices into and out of the US.  Sucks for sellers shipping into and out of the US, but perhaps may slow down the flood of fake carts coming in from China.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/us-to-leave-global-postal-...

-------------------------
Currently searching for the manual for Game Gear Sports Illustrated game.

Sep 21 at 12:56:41 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
I can somewhat understand the point of this, the example about it being much cheaper to receive a parcel from China than from one USA destination to another somewhat hits home, as the situation is often similar with what I've experienced and seen here in Taiwan to USA parcels.

With that said, I definitely wouldn't be happy about increased shipping costs, and I guess no one else would be either.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Sep 21 at 1:36:38 AM
Californication (34)

< Meka Chicken >
Trump is a jackass.

Sep 21 at 3:18:57 AM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
So how does this help anyone? I don't get it...it just makes us all pay more for shipping right? It's not like US shipping rates are going to go down...right?

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Sep 21 at 6:19:23 AM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Not only will shipping rates go up but general goods will see an increase in price that come from international countries (China). Shipping costs will be passed down to the consumer at the end of the line. Private carriers will probably keep rate increases somewhat in check though as the USPS will have to stay competitive if this all unfolds as the article states.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Sep 21 at 6:46:56 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Californication

Trump is a jackass.
In general, yes.

But not for this particular issue.

Chinese shippers have been abusing our reciprocal shipping agreement for a long time and costing USPS a lot of money in the process.

We get a flood of items on sites like ebay that cost $0.99 with free shipping from mainland china.
Chinese mail then gets subsidized on their end allowing sellers to offer such ridiculous rates. 
USPS effectively gets NOTHING but has to handle the shipping and logistics once it enters the country.

The amount of goods going the other direction into mainland china, for USPS to get paid and China's mail service to "do their part" might as well be zero.

This is a legitimate problem for USPS, and has needed to be fixed for a long time.

Edited: 09/21/2019 at 06:48 AM by arch_8ngel

Sep 21 at 8:23:45 AM
Katchii (23)
< Meka Chicken >
Florida
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Trump is a jackass.
In general, yes.

Chinese shippers have been abusing our reciprocal shipping agreement for a long time and costing USPS a lot of money in the process.

We get a flood of items on sites like ebay that cost $0.99 with free shipping from mainland china.
Chinese mail then gets subsidized on their end allowing sellers to offer such ridiculous rates. 
USPS effectively gets NOTHING but has to handle the shipping and logistics once it enters the country.

The amount of goods going the other direction into mainland china, for USPS to get paid and China's mail service to "do their part" might as well be zero.

This is a legitimate problem for USPS, and has needed to be fixed for a long time.

I agree with this!  China has been abusing this agreement for a long long time.  

Have you never asked yourself why you can get something manufactured and shipped internationally, for less than a buck, when just shipping the same item within the same state would cost $3-4? 

Sep 21 at 10:03:32 AM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa

Trump is a jackass.
In general, yes.

*LIKE button clicked*

Sep 21 at 10:31:52 AM
Scrobins09 (8)
(Sean ) < Eggplant Wizard >
District of Columbia

Trump is a jackass.
In general, yes.

All of this. While leaving the UPU is a drastic measure and would have a catastrophic effect on the US aspects of international mail, it is an important issue that requires global attention to fix the economic distortions in international rates. Unfortunately higher priority foreign policy matters will make putting in an alternative infrastructure for the exchange of international mail more difficult if the Postal Service does leave the UPU. 

Sep 21 at 10:35:38 AM
Californication (34)

< Meka Chicken >
Let's say the article is accurate and the the prices should be revisited and USPS and other honest U.S. actors agree.

Trump is still a jackass for the way he is going about negotiating a price adjustment.

Edited: 09/21/2019 at 10:40 AM by Californication

Sep 21 at 10:37:05 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Collecting in Canada is gonna suck even harder with this, considering all the retro games are south of the damn border.

Sep 21 at 10:55:45 AM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
I actually wouldn't mind seeing less shit come from China. It's crazy that you can buy a little piece of crap plastic for $5 or less with free shipping around the globe just to be thrown out or have it broken on arrival. What a waste of resources.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Sep 21 at 11:04:49 AM
Californication (34)

< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

I actually wouldn't mind seeing less shit come from China. It's crazy that you can buy a little piece of crap plastic for $5 or less with free shipping around the globe just to be thrown out or have it broken on arrival. What a waste of resources.
I don't think any of us like that. The real question mark for me at least is how this will affect businesses in the short term. Some American businesses also ship from their subsidiaries based on this agreement. What affect is screwing with supply chains during the holiday season going to have on the economy. 

And the weirdest thing is to cause all this confusion over a few hundred million dollars a year. That much money is less than the money the governmwnt finds in the couch, that is like the government walking down the street and finding a penny.

Edited: 09/21/2019 at 02:22 PM by Californication

Sep 21 at 11:05:40 AM
GCrites80s (0)
(G Crites) < El Ripper >
Ohio
And eBay and Amazon really push stuff from China on people. They're always getting tricked into unintentionally having stuff sent to them directly from China due to the race to the bottom inherent with internet price sensitivity. Then you wait.

Sep 21 at 3:59:42 PM
Let's Sing 2016 (0)

< Little Mac >
Fixing and ideally eliminating the various Chinese shipping abuses is something that will work out well in the long term, particularly for those of us who have to be wary of low-quality parts and outright fakes. A reduction in the amount of Chinese junk flooding through the US system should make it easier on domestic shipping costs.

Sep 25 at 6:55:10 PM
Scrobins09 (8)
(Sean ) < Eggplant Wizard >
District of Columbia
For those following this issue, the emergency UPU congress reached an agreement and U.S. postal brexit was averted.

https://www.reuters.com/article/u...

Sep 25 at 7:10:13 PM
Californication (34)

< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: Scrobins09

For those following this issue, the emergency UPU congress reached an agreement and U.S. postal brexit was averted.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-un-postal-idUSKBN1WA247

That is a good first step. 
i guess that makes Trump 1 for 4 since he also pulled out of the Iran deal, the Paris Climate Accords, and the Intermediate Nuclear Forces Treaty without and positive benefits.  

Edited: 09/25/2019 at 07:34 PM by Californication