Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

MMA discussion thread

May 29, 2009 at 7:29:04 PM
DestructoDisk (117)
(Timothy Patrick Vreeland) < King Solomon >
Nevada
Dan if you ever get to watching Pride I think youll like it. Of course the begining years were a bit boring in some fights, but awesome in others. The mid to late pride years were off that charts, and more entertaining then the UFC IMO. This was tha man back in the day:

Took out 4 Gracies, Quintin Jackson, Vitor Belfort, Ken Shamrock, Kevin Randleman and many of the greatest of that time period. A masterfull tactition. He still fights but he looks stiff and crippled now.

Also anyone that knows the story of UFC Ultimate Japan.. This video brought back some emotion.

Edited: 05/29/2009 at 07:35 PM by DestructoDisk

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:43:08 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
Giving this a bump in honor of Strikeforce and WEC this weekend. Lots of interesting matchups on the Strikeforce card and the Faber/Brown rematch for the belt at WEC 41. If you've got Showtime and Versus networks, check 'em out.

-------------------------
Currently Playing: L.A. Noire
Currently Listening: Tyler the Creator - Goblin
Currently Watching: Workaholics, 5 Deadly Venoms

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:30:07 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
Another bump in honor of the TUF finale and Strikeforce Challengers this weekend. Some good discussion of UFC 99 implications as well as Sylvia/Mercer in Mark's thread here:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

It seems we've got a decent base of MMA fans here, I'd love for us to have a place to congregate to discuss the newest events. I'm going to update the first post a little bit, and I'm going to bump this any time there's a major event in the hopes that it'll catch on a little bit and we can get some regular discussion going.

Edited: 06/15/2009 at 02:30 PM by xARSEFACEx

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:48:18 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
when's the TUF finale?? I need to set my DVR

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:35:42 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
I think they took "Strikeforce on NBC" off late-night Saturday. Anyone know if/when it moved to? I used to stay up and watch it at 3am

Jun 15, 2009 at 7:24:14 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
Originally posted by: PSerge

when's the TUF finale?? I need to set my DVR

Saturday night. If you've got Showtime, you should check out the Strikeforce event on Friday night. Villasenor/Santos and Gurgel/Heun will be decent entertainment.

Edited: 06/17/2009 at 01:58 PM by xARSEFACEx

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:55:47 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Thought this thread deserved a bump after that fifteen minute main event war. Glad I stuck around for it, my wife and I almost went out after the brits took the entire show.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:03:47 AM
coolpapachiv (8)
(Thomas Chivers) < Meka Chicken >
Oregon
All I can say is Clay Guita is the shit! everytime this guy steps into the octagon it's an awesome fight!! Even when he loses! As far as the ultimate fighter winners, the first fight was good. The second fight with Demarcus was lame. There's a guy who talks a lot of shit but aparently can't back it up. BOOOO!

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:36:56 AM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
The actual TUF fights were the worst of the show, easily. I almost fell asleep during the Pearson/Winner fight. That shit was awful.

It pleased me greatly to see Joe Daddy get back on track by dominating Nate Diaz. There's no one in MMA that I dislike more than the Diaz brothers.

Sanchez/Guida was entertaining as hell, but I'm tired of Guida's schtick. He needs to adapt and evolve if he wants to make a serious run in that division. He also needs a fucking haircut, or at the very least some cornrows come fight night. He looks like he's getting completely rocked by even the most glancing blows because his hair goes flying everywhere.

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:37:32 AM
coolpapachiv (8)
(Thomas Chivers) < Meka Chicken >
Oregon

Sanchez/Guida was entertaining as hell, but I'm tired of Guida's schtick. He needs to adapt and evolve if he wants to make a serious run in that division. He also needs a fucking haircut, or at the very least some cornrows come fight night. He looks like he's getting completely rocked by even the most glancing blows because his hair goes flying everywhere.

You have to love Guida though, 6 hits he took in that first round including the kick to the head would of ended the fight for nearly every other fighter.  He still managed to make a hell of a fight out of it and last all three rounds!! If Guita was 0-30 in MMA I'd still watch his fights cause he gives 100% everytime!  He should cut his damn hair though.

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:08:28 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
^that's Aaron's point though, we've no way of knowing just how bad that first flurry tagged him. Guida's good at deception, for all of the disadvantages of the long hair (restricted vision, more vulnerable to holds/locks), it masks his head and eye movement and gives him a chance to overemphasize the impact of hits as he rolls with punches.

No question he took it right on the nose with that roundhouse, but that's just the equivalent of a monster jab. These fighters can take shots on the nose and forehead all day and keep getting up; it's when you take it on the button and your neck gets torqued, that's when you black out.

Not to downplay Guida, he's a tough sumbitch. But he's not superhuman. He really makes a good show of his conditioning though, jumping up and down after the match and all. I think he likes the illusion of being superhuman

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:27:19 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
Gina Carano on Sport Science:

You sickos can file it into your spank banks. I won't tell.

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:38:39 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: dangevin

No question he took it right on the nose with that roundhouse, but that's just the equivalent of a monster jab.

Dude, nooooooooooooooo way.  He was hit right on the money with a vicious high kick.  Very, very different than any jab from any fighter.  Many fighters would have been waking up in the locker room from that shot, no doubt about it.

Love Guida, I have since he yelled at his mom to take a picture of my brother and I with him before his fight with Huerta.  The guy has a ton of heart and plenty of skill, that fight could have gone either way depending on how you scored that last round.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:42:31 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: xARSEFACEx

Gina Carano on Sport Science:

You sickos can file it into your spank banks. I won't tell.

I'm so in love.

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:29:38 AM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
Did anyone else catch Ultimate Chaos tonight? It was entertaining enough for what it was, though I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

It's always fun to watch Bob Sapp get beat on, and he's traveled so far into joke territory at this point that he's not even fun to make fun of. It's hard to tell if Bobby Lashley is getting better, or if the cans they keep putting in front of him are just that bad.

Gilbert Yvel's knockout of Pedro Rizzo was vicious. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if there was permanent damage done to his cranium, the ref let it go WAY too long. Overall the reffing seemed incompetent and the commentary was even worse. It would have been nice if the announcers had at least been taught to pronounce the names of the fighters on the card correctly.

Tell me someone else here watched.

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:28:16 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Holy worst commentary ever! Bordering on unwatchable.

That Yvel KO was hard to watch. Rizzo needs to hang it up dude. He's been making it a habit to be on the receiving end of HL real quality KOs lately.

I'm still not sold on Lashley just yet. The biggest hang-up I have is the fact that he went the distance with Guida recently. The dude has obvious potential, but he should be blowing through guys like that before I get excited. We'll see.

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:05:44 PM
Shags (65)
(--- Ben ---) < El Ripper >
Alaska
I watched it also, one of the worst events I have ever seen. But Lashley is looking like a prospect, hes gonna need some more fights against some better competition soon so that he can be tested a little, Sapp is a superstar in Japan and needs to hang up his mma gloves and go back, same goes for Rizzo, there comes a time when you just have to say enough is enough.

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:49:33 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

I'm still not sold on Lashley just yet. The biggest hang-up I have is the fact that he went the distance with Guida recently. The dude has obvious potential, but he should be blowing through guys like that before I get excited. We'll see.

Yeah, Jason Guida sucks hard, and while it looked like Lashley had some servicable ground n' pound going on Sapp last night, when I think about how quickly most people have blown through Sapp lately, it makes me wonder. Lashley's pretty old, he's going to have to turn it up quick if he wants his mma career to go somewhere.

Edited: 06/28/2009 at 03:50 PM by xARSEFACEx

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:53:45 AM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
Dan Henderson is my fucking hero.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:05:05 AM
OCDsteeldor (36)
(D S) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
^^Maybe that will shut his mouth for awhile!

/ dear sir, dear lady, this carnival is dead and gone //

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:06:32 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Besides the clip above, any fights last night worth the cost of getting UFC 100?

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:45:25 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Wish I could have been there. My flight left at 4pm yesterday. I couldn't even get tickets if I wanted though

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:08:49 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
The card was really good overall. There were really no dull fights on the main card. The Henderson ko looks WAY more brutal from the other side. I couldn't find a gif from that angle last night but trust me, it was nasty.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:05:03 PM
petrosky (12)
(NES Guy) < Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Yea, Hendo might of became my favorite fighters after that. That was my fav match of the night. Too bad they didn't show the John Fitch fight, I wanted to see it.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

Edited: 07/12/2009 at 06:05 PM by petrosky

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:12:51 PM
maximus_clean (147)
(Curtis S) < King Solomon >
Canada
the Jon Fitch fight was a yawner. they hugged on the ground the whole fight doing nothing.

Looking for VGA NES, SNES and more, have cash and many VGA to trade!

“Well, there is actual loss of cardboard in a spot or two”