Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Nintendo Gamecube Controller Unresponsive Issue Troubleshooting an issue with a Gamecube controller.

Jun 20 at 9:00:11 PM
RileySkye100 (0)

(Gabriel D.) < Cherub >
Massachusetts
So basically, I have a silver OEM Gamecube controller that will not work at all. What's strange is that when I plug the controller into the console, it doesn't come up as saying there's no controller plugged in. I tried every button, but nothing. I thought at first to take it apart and clean the carbon contacts and the board, but no response. Recently, I revisited the controller to see if there were any broken traces or something. I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with the cable as the solder points look fine. I even used rubbing alcohol to remove any flux residue left behind. Then I decided to remove a bit of sheath from the cable covering the wires and discovered that all but one wire was covered with a colored cover. The black wire looked like initially it is covered, but digging further in, I discovered a mess of this not covered up at all. It makes me wonder why the assembly line at Nintendo didn't spot such a mess and if they did, why not fix it. Strangely enough, the exposed copper wire were still making a solid continuity with the solder point on the board. I also checked the cable plug to find any damage to the connector. Nothing out of the ordinary. I was considering getting a replacement, but there's no silver cables available as there's just the black ones. So that is where I'm at. If anyone can help me out or have a silver Gamecube controller cable they can't use, I would really much appreciate it. 

Jun 20 at 11:47:26 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
You sure it's the cable and not the controller board? Might try swapping the old cable to another board just to see.

A lot of cables have one exposed wire with several insulated wires. It's often the ground which also serves as shielding. The exposed wire is often twisted with a piece of twine/string to make the cable more resistant to pulling forces.

It isn't necessary to insulate all wires as long as there is only one uninsulated wire. This keeps the overall cable thinner and more flexible as well. If this sounds like what you saw then I wouldn't be too worried about that part.