Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA beat every N64 game in a year ? (2018) 303/303 Complete: 100% -- TIME FOR PARTIES

Jan 28, 2018 at 7:39:48 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Diddy Kong Racing is done!

-------------------------

Edited: 01/28/2018 at 07:41 PM by Gloves

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:00:03 AM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Diddy Kong. In the late 90s I resented it because people kept comparing it to Mario Kart, and I was firmly on team Mario Kart. Then a decade later I realized that it was ok for other games to be fun, and I played through it, but could never beat Wizpig that last time. I tried so many times. I wonder if that save file is still there...

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:04:53 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Wizpig 1 is pretty tough due to the tight turns required to hit every single boost, and the boosts are absolutely required to win the race. It's a tough one for sure! It helps a lot if you make sure to let go of acceleration before each boost so you get the green flame (longer, faster boost); that really makes a huge difference.

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:06:32 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Quick question, what are the requirements for the Pokemon Stadium games? Just beat the tournament mode or whatever it's called? 

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:49:01 AM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Gloves

Quick question, what are the requirements for the Pokemon Stadium games? Just beat the tournament mode or whatever it's called? 

I was wondering that as well. The gym leader castle should be a requirement too I think

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Jan 29, 2018 at 1:26:40 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
I agree. I'd say beat the gym leader castle, and at least the Poké Cup. I'll work on getting some requirements up this week, starting with the more common games.

Jan 29, 2018 at 1:31:22 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
I should really wait for my UltraHDMI N64 to come in to keep playing N64 games, but they're calling to me lately... "Play us Dooooug!"

The low poly count characters are just so appealing for some reason haha.

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:45:51 AM
Shellshocker18 (0)
< Little Mac >
I guess I'm the first person to finally beat Indiana Jones. I hadn't played it in 2-3 years so I gave it a good 100% run and got all 160 treasures in the 16 main levels. I didn't do the bonus Peru mission because I'm lazy

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:46:28 PM
Jaz (41)
(Dylan P) < Eggplant Wizard >
New Brunswick
I'm surprised how long this one took me for a quick one pointer. As soon as the bots get a turn they'll steamroll ya. This is the screen right before the credits roll.

https://imgur.com/a/sWCxX...

Edited: 02/03/2018 at 09:50 PM by Jaz

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:59:38 PM
erac (0)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Beat 007: The world is not enough.

I liked this more than Goldeneye. The graphics were better, the difficulty was far better balanced, and there were no infinite spawn points inside closed rooms. In fact no spawn points at all.

Graphically it was quite good, it could almost pass for a modern shooter, nothing was annoying at any point. All characters had shadows, both texture and vertex definition were good. Lag happened less than in Goldeneye, but still happened, particularly in the first level's upper corridor. I did notice some careless modeling work, some props had z-fighting.

Feb 11, 2018 at 3:14:19 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: erac

Beat 007: The world is not enough.

I liked this more than Goldeneye. The graphics were better, the difficulty was far better balanced, and there were no infinite spawn points inside closed rooms. In fact no spawn points at all.

Graphically it was quite good, it could almost pass for a modern shooter, nothing was annoying at any point. All characters had shadows, both texture and vertex definition were good. Lag happened less than in Goldeneye, but still happened, particularly in the first level's upper corridor. I did notice some careless modeling work, some props had z-fighting.

I always preferred TWINE over Goldeneye, personally. Perfect Dark tops them both though in basically every conceivable way.

Feb 11, 2018 at 5:59:35 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Originally posted by: Shellshocker18

I guess I'm the first person to finally beat Indiana Jones. I hadn't played it in 2-3 years so I gave it a good 100% run and got all 160 treasures in the 16 main levels.
Nice! It's great to see those never-beaten games go down.  

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:03:17 AM
aquaprince86 (0)
(Jerry ) < Cherub >
California
Hi everyone!  I hope I can help with this challenge, I've been playing a lot of 64 lately and really enjoying it. Here's my first submission: beating MLB Presents Ken Griffey Jr:

I played it on World Series Mode as the Mariners against the Expos and finished the series at home.  Fun game, batting took a while to get used to (I ended up switching to classic mode) but enjoyable baseball game.

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:22:19 AM
aquaprince86 (0)
(Jerry ) < Cherub >
California
I've also beaten a few more games as well!

Wave Race 64

I only beat this on Normal, as you can tell by the points so I hope it counts.  If you require Expert/Mirror mode, feel free to disregard this one.

Elmo's Letter Adventure

Very boring and monotonous game, aside from finding "P" in the ocean.

Elmo's Number Journey

Even more monotonous than the Letter Adventure.  Finding the numbers was all fine and dandy but pressing A 8 times to solve a math problem was very uninteresting.

Jeopardy

I like Jeopardy a lot so this one was a lot of fun.  I like that you can choose to input your answers or have the computer auto fill them.  Could have probably beaten this one much easier with Google but I wanted to test myself.

Thanks for the awesome challenge!  I hope this helps contribute to it.

Feb 13, 2018 at 11:28:04 AM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Nice going! Thanks for taking the Elmo games for the team.  

Feb 13, 2018 at 3:02:02 PM
aquaprince86 (0)
(Jerry ) < Cherub >
California
Thanks!  I completed two more games today as well!

Clayfighter 63 1/3

This game was fun!  Never played this game before but played as Earthworm Jim on normal mode.  Seems like it's copying Killer Instinct, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat but it was interesting none the less.

Clayfighter: Sculptor's Cut

Wow, this one was a lot harder on Normal difficulty than 63 1/3!  Boogerman kept wiping the floor with me lol.  I was kind of sad I couldn't play as EWJ in story mode but T-Hoppy was a cool character too, even though it seems liked I could never get his specials off.  I'm not great at fighting games but it was still really fun and they upgraded 63 1/3 quite a bit.

Feb 13, 2018 at 3:38:02 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
And just like that, you're at the top of the leaderboard. As soon as I finish up with Mario Odyssey (very soon) I'll be able to get myself on the list.

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:24:25 AM
link463 (25)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kansas
I don't know if I'll contribute much if at all this year, but I thought I'd offer up some of the things that were discussed in years prior about clear criteria.

Typically, you don't have to get the best ending or beat the game on a higher difficulty if you cleared all the levels and/or saw credits roll. Case in point: it was once thought you needed to beat all the levels in GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, which would mean clearing them on 00 Agent and Perfect Agent, respectively. It was later decided that beating them on agent was sufficient because that got you the credits. I don't care too much either way, but requiring secret agent difficulty seems arbitrary. TWINE has no extra levels, so there's not much reason to play on higher than Agent difficulty.

It's true that in Dr. Mario and Pokemon Puzzle League, you get extra levels for playing on normal and very hard, respectively, but it doesn't change the ending and you get credits either way.

All sports games have the requirement of "Play season. Win championship." The only exceptions I'm aware of are NBA Hangtime and NBA Showtime, where the only thing there is to do is beat every team. It sucks and takes forever, but there's a reason those two have never been beaten.

The requirements for Vigilante 8 and V82 are beat the game with every character, to include unlockable characters. Very time consuming, especially in V82.

Virtual Pool - Win a tournament.

Excitebike 64 - Finish first in all of the Pro Seasons.

Destruction Derby 64 - Clear all the missions.

S.C.A.R.S - Winning the first cup on the easiest difficulty gets you the credits, but we decided that was lame. You have to win them all, maybe on whatever normal is called. The organizer can decide that.

Penny Racers - Get at least bronze on every track on AA difficulty.

That's all I can think of right now. I'll add more if I remember. Hopefully I find some time to play a few this year!

Thanks for writing. I apologize for the delay in responding to your email during this busy time of year.
In regard to your email, it is great to hear that you have found a copy of Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64. Perfect dark was a first person shooter game that was released in May of 2000. I personally enjoyed this game a lot during my mid-teen years since it allows for up to four players to play at one time. All the Perfect Dark cartridges were black.

I hope this information is what you are looking for.

-
Response I received from Nintendo customer support when I asked if they knew any thing about a black Perfect Dark cart.

Edited: 02/16/2018 at 12:27 AM by link463

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:56:14 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Thanks! I guess I've been applying some of the common rules/sentiments from other threads, such as leaning toward normal/middle/default difficulty, not accepting "bad" endings, or acknowledging game content only accessible on higher difficulties. But the more I read through the N64 threads, the more I see that credits are traditionally the mark of a beaten game. But some previous threads have agreed that for some games, strictly declaring credits to be the sole identifier might be "lame," as you put it. So I guess we try to be as objective as possible, and allow exceptions if we all agree on them? You're the only one who has brought it up, so I can only assume that everyone else is fine with whatever, or that they're ignoring the requirements and playing their own way.

I guess I don't know what to do about Pokemon Puzzle League. RetroMichel was pretty solid on "just get the credits," but it looks like he's the one who typed up the Very Hard requirement, so what made it different than any other "just get the credits" game? I understand trying to see all of the content of a game, because if the game devs happened to offer credits easily, then we don't play (in some cases) huge chunks of a game, years later. But again, we don't require ridiculous stuff like fully exploring every room/screen, getting/achieving 100% of everything, etc. so what makes those extra levels any different? What are we really trying to accomplish? Why are we here? There are hungry people in the world!

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:11:46 AM
link463 (25)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kansas
Yeah I see your point. I can comment on PPL, because I was the one who beat it first. If you beat it on Hard, you'll battle Gary and be declared the champion. Credits roll. Sounds about like a normal pokemon game, so we had no reason to think there was anything else. However, I later discovered after reading the game's wiki, that if you play on Very Hard (which is unlocked by beating the game on hard, no less) you get a final battle against Mewtwo. There is another cutscene before the Mewtwo battle but the ending and credits are the same. That particular year, cheaterdragon was running it and he believed in beating all the levels, so it was declared that the game should be beaten on very hard to truly beat it. However, in the following years, retromichel decided that getting to the credits was good on other games like Perfect Dark and GoldenEye. Personally, I think beating it on Hard is sufficient. (Also, very hard is torturous, lol) I just never got around to bringing it back up until now.

I guess at the end of the day, you should decide what the standard is and stick with it. I think we probably decided that since a lot of N64 games take longer to complete than NES and SNES games, any ending is fine.

Thanks for writing. I apologize for the delay in responding to your email during this busy time of year.
In regard to your email, it is great to hear that you have found a copy of Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64. Perfect dark was a first person shooter game that was released in May of 2000. I personally enjoyed this game a lot during my mid-teen years since it allows for up to four players to play at one time. All the Perfect Dark cartridges were black.

I hope this information is what you are looking for.

-
Response I received from Nintendo customer support when I asked if they knew any thing about a black Perfect Dark cart.

Edited: 02/13/2019 at 12:09 PM by link463

Feb 17, 2018 at 12:49:19 PM
ZBomber (6)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts
Just beat Kirby 64 with 100%.

I had the game growing up but never got past Neo Star, this is my first time beating it. I thought that the Ripple Star boss was a lot harder than the true final boss. I had to use a guide for some of the shards.

Edited: 02/17/2018 at 03:02 PM by ZBomber

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:19:36 PM
Jaz (41)
(Dylan P) < Eggplant Wizard >
New Brunswick
Virtual Chess 64 is done.

https://imgur.com/aIKQNGg...

Had to change this one from 3D to 2D to get through it. I feel it kinda defeats the purpose of having it on the 64... But hey, if it's not broke, don't fix it I s'pose!

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:30:33 PM
aquaprince86 (0)
(Jerry ) < Cherub >
California
Finished Monopoly against the CPU.

My copy kept freezing while I was playing so there were a few runs I was doing really well but the game froze and I had to restart.  Finally started saving between rounds and even though it froze a couple more times, I managed to beat the computer.

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:58:18 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Ok, that makes a lot of sense, I went ahead and changed PPL. No reason to make these games harder to beat than they need to be, and seeing credits is a nice, objective achievement. It gets hazier for games without a credit roll (cough V8, V82) but the only truly objective point is 100%. I may need to update some of the requirements I filled in to be more credits-friendly.

Anyway, leaderboard should be up to date, and lol, I've never heard anyone say anything good about Virtual Chess 64.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:25:32 AM
aquaprince86 (0)
(Jerry ) < Cherub >
California
South Park: Chef's Luv Shack beaten!

Interesting game.  Would have been a lot more fun with other players though.

EDIT: Also, seeing as how the requirements have changed, I've also beaten Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

I had beaten this one without realizing you required all golds and tapes.  Really fun game but my fingers automatically want to manual without realizing it's not there.

Edited: 02/19/2018 at 11:46 AM by aquaprince86