Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Whatever happened to Chris Houlihan? The guy who the secret room in Zelda Link to the Past is named after

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:00:58 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Originally posted by: chrisbid

Originally posted by: jonebone

Originally posted by: Estil

Little did he realize his name would be forever immortalized in what many consider the best Zelda game of all time (even over Ocarina of Time).

God damn I hate the 2D sprite obsession on this site.  If you changed "many" to "some", I'd have no qualms, but much more people believe OoT is a better game.

Quick google of "Best Zelda Game Ever"

http://top100.ign.com/2005/001-010.html

IGN's top 100 games all time, Zelda OoT is #2, LttP is #11.

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/games.htm

A comprehensive analysis of 38 "top 10" lists found that Zelda OoT was #1 appearing on 28 lists while LttP is #4 appearing on 20 lists.

And finally...

Super Nintendo sold 49.1 Million units, N64 only sold 32.9M units.  Yet LttP sold 4.6M units and OoT sold 7.6M units.

If you like LttP more, or if anyone else likes it more, that's fine and dandy.  But as a consensus opinion among most gamers and reviewers, OoT is by far the better game, end of story.

take an informal poll, few people actually had the patience to play OoT all the way through.  i personally do not know anyone that finished it.  it was a 'look at what the n64 can do' type game, released a few months after final fantasy vii did the same thing on the playstation.  people were wowed by the cinematics of OoT, but did not find the game part very fun.  OoT was the point where nintendo focused its energy on cinematics and puzzles in zelda games rather than the arcade/action that was the main feature of the original zelda games. 

now link rides trains and turns into a werewolf and few people give a damn.  the wow factor is gone, everything a system can do cinematic wise is old hat now.

just like there was a pent up demand for 2D super mario bros, nintendo needs to see the light and realize the fun of zelda was killing octorocks with a sword, not figuring out obtuse puzzles.  journalists and 'hardcore' gamers overthink things and do not consider the basics like fun.  so spare us the polls and fluff ink spilled on OoT

Both ALTTP and OOT had plenty of puzzles and plenty of arcade/action stuff too.  Both were equal in that respect in terms of FUN as you put it.  They aren't ranking high on these lists for cinematics, they rank high because people enjoy playing them.  With Jonebone's numbers you have to admit that OOT selling 3 million more copies, seems obvious to anyone that more people like OOT than ALTTP.  Both are good fun games no one is denying that. 

Here's the stats page on total sales of ALL zelda games so far.  OOT is 1st, ALTTP is 5th.
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?n...

Ocarina of Time - 7.6 million
Twilight Princess - 7 million
Legend of Zelda NES - 6.5 million
Phantom Hourglass - 5 million
A Link to the Past - 4.6 million
Wind Waker GCN - 4.6 million
Adventures of Link - 4.3 million

Don't act like people don't care about these games, more people bought a wolf game and a boat cruising game than bought ALTTP.  Spirit Tracks itself brought in 3.2 million sales.  Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true.

Edit: Just realized I responded to a 4 year old post, well whatever, my point stands.

-------------------------

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Edited: 12/17/2014 at 10:02 PM by Space Jockey

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:08:22 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I love Zelda's green tunic. My favorite game is when he saves the princess.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:15:06 PM
suicidalparrot (126)
(matt s) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

I love Zelda's green tunic. My favorite game is when he saves the princess.

Ugh Zelda is the princess. The character's name is AssDix. That's what I always typed in anyway

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:26:03 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
It's not nice to call him a princess! He saves the world over and over!

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:43:20 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio

He wears a green "tunic" (Short dress) and hangs out with faries.  He's a princess alright.

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:59:48 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

He wears a green "tunic" (Short dress) and hangs out with faries.  He's a princess alright.

Link = Peter Pan.

And I'd never heard of this Chris guy or this secret room.

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:56:53 AM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
Then Chris used this game to start his own game company.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:58:32 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Originally posted by: Axiom51

I just did a search and I found out that the Wii version renamed the room the top secret room. Thats pretty queer.

Yeah, should've left it. It's like George Lucas messing with the original trilogy.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:34:28 AM
MathUser2929 (0)
(D L) < Eggplant Wizard >
South Dakota
I miss the days when Zelda would have brown hair. I wonder why they switched him to blonde?

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:22:05 PM
tkm015 (3)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: Space Jockey

Originally posted by: chrisbid

Originally posted by: jonebone

Little did he realize his name would be forever immortalized in what many consider the best Zelda game of all time (even over Ocarina of Time).

God damn I hate the 2D sprite obsession on this site.  If you changed "many" to "some", I'd have no qualms, but much more people believe OoT is a better game.

Quick google of "Best Zelda Game Ever"

http://top100.ign.com/2005/001-010.html

IGN's top 100 games all time, Zelda OoT is #2, LttP is #11.

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/games.htm

A comprehensive analysis of 38 "top 10" lists found that Zelda OoT was #1 appearing on 28 lists while LttP is #4 appearing on 20 lists.

And finally...

Super Nintendo sold 49.1 Million units, N64 only sold 32.9M units.  Yet LttP sold 4.6M units and OoT sold 7.6M units.

If you like LttP more, or if anyone else likes it more, that's fine and dandy.  But as a consensus opinion among most gamers and reviewers, OoT is by far the better game, end of story.

take an informal poll, few people actually had the patience to play OoT all the way through.  i personally do not know anyone that finished it.  it was a 'look at what the n64 can do' type game, released a few months after final fantasy vii did the same thing on the playstation.  people were wowed by the cinematics of OoT, but did not find the game part very fun.  OoT was the point where nintendo focused its energy on cinematics and puzzles in zelda games rather than the arcade/action that was the main feature of the original zelda games. 

now link rides trains and turns into a werewolf and few people give a damn.  the wow factor is gone, everything a system can do cinematic wise is old hat now.

just like there was a pent up demand for 2D super mario bros, nintendo needs to see the light and realize the fun of zelda was killing octorocks with a sword, not figuring out obtuse puzzles.  journalists and 'hardcore' gamers overthink things and do not consider the basics like fun.  so spare us the polls and fluff ink spilled on OoT

Both ALTTP and OOT had plenty of puzzles and plenty of arcade/action stuff too.  Both were equal in that respect in terms of FUN as you put it.  They aren't ranking high on these lists for cinematics, they rank high because people enjoy playing them.  With Jonebone's numbers you have to admit that OOT selling 3 million more copies, seems obvious to anyone that more people like OOT than ALTTP.  Both are good fun games no one is denying that. 

Here's the stats page on total sales of ALL zelda games so far.  OOT is 1st, ALTTP is 5th.
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=the+legend+of+zelda

Ocarina of Time - 7.6 million
Twilight Princess - 7 million
Legend of Zelda NES - 6.5 million
Phantom Hourglass - 5 million
A Link to the Past - 4.6 million
Wind Waker GCN - 4.6 million
Adventures of Link - 4.3 million

Don't act like people don't care about these games, more people bought a wolf game and a boat cruising game than bought ALTTP.  Spirit Tracks itself brought in 3.2 million sales.  Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true.

Edit: Just realized I responded to a 4 year old post, well whatever, my point stands.

SNES has a better overall library than the N64 did.  There were only a handful great games on the N64 (OOT being one of them) so naturally folks bought and gravitated toward those as a lot of the other games were crap.  There were also no good RPGs on the N64 like there were on the SNES.  That's why I don't think you can say that one outselling the other is an indication of "quality" or "fun" of the game.  When choice is limited, the good titles will sell even moreso.

Also, a lot of folks were excited to see a Zelda game in 3D, just like they were with Super Mario 64.   Everyone during that era went bonkers for "3D" anything.

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:07:28 AM
Firebrandx (7)
(Wolff Morrow) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: jero32

Actually I believe it is a glitch. In the original japanese version it just says "secret room" nothing about c.h. The room appears if something didnt load fast enough or some crap like that. To prevent the game from crashing they put that room there to be activated in situations like this.

Technically it's not a glitch, but rather a failsafe intentionally programmed into the game. A glitch would be more like the kill screen on arcade Pac Man.

Anyway, I have to figure Chris is between the ages of lets say 30 and 50. According to records, there are 13 individuals matching that age range. It probably wouldn't too hard for a P.I. to track each one down to contact them to find out which one was same person that won the contest.

Edited: 12/19/2014 at 06:08 AM by Firebrandx

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:46:51 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: Ferris Bueller

I just did a search and I found out that the Wii version renamed the room the top secret room. Thats pretty queer.

Yeah, should've left it. It's like George Lucas messing with the original trilogy.
I never knew this, but that's incredibly dumb IMO.

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:50:38 AM
Firebrandx (7)
(Wolff Morrow) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: NostalgicMachine

They legally had to. The contest contract didn't state at the time his name would be used in all future releases of the same game. So in order to legally use his name again, they would have to track him down and have him sign another contract. That's too much hassle, not to mention a waste of payroll spent doing all that. So you just change the text back to the original translation of the Japanese game and be done with it.

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:56:39 AM
Jandrem (6)
(Josh ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
ALTTP is still one of my favorite SNES games; OoT made me quit the series.

I remember this contest being run back in the day. Thought it'd be so cool to have your name mentioned in a game. Star Wars did something similar with Super Return of the Jedi, didn't they? Like adding a contest winner into one of the cutscenes or something.

My FS/FO thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:45:58 PM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: Firebrandx

Originally posted by: NostalgicMachine

They legally had to. The contest contract didn't state at the time his name would be used in all future releases of the same game. So in order to legally use his name again, they would have to track him down and have him sign another contract. That's too much hassle, not to mention a waste of payroll spent doing all that. So you just change the text back to the original translation of the Japanese game and be done with it.

That makes complete sense.

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:03:23 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Trj22487

Wow, what a small world, I stumble on this ancient thread hoping to see if anyone ever found out who the actual Chris Houlihan is, and the final poster on this thread was Chris Bidwell. I used to chat with Chrisbid all the time back on the old Earthbound board on IGN some 13-14 years ago, back when I was only about 13-14 years old (looking up his IGN join date, it was 9/11/2000!). Too bad it looks like he no longer posts here or any of the other sites he's registered to. It's funny who you might bump into all these years later though. For about a solid year around the turn of the millenium the Earthbound board on IGN was definitely the online community I considered my home. We had a nice tight knit community and Earthbound itself still felt like it was "our little secret" back then.
Chrisbid does the "Now you're playing with Podcast":

http://www.nowyoureplayingwith.co...

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:13:56 PM
Faxanadude (21)
(A Winner Is You) < Kraid Killer >
North Carolina
Take off the nostalgia glasses and be honest about Ocarina. Too much waiting. Too much tutorial. Too many breaks in the action. Too linear. Its a great game, sure. But it's no alttp.

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:34:09 PM
dukeofhurl99 (1)

< Ridley Wrangler >
Texas
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Chrisbid does the "Now you're playing with Podcast":

http://www.nowyoureplayingwith.com/

Awesome!  I listen to some retro gaming podcasts at work, I'm downloading a couple of these as I type to check out.  Thanks.

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:05:37 PM
PrinceOfBrains (4)
(Tim Allen) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
Originally posted by: alekx

So he could get laid, duh.

edit: who can think of the best Chris Houlihan pickup line?

Come on, it's pretty easy: "My name's Chris Houlihan. Wanna see my room?"

https://videotron2000.wordpress.com/ - Video-Tron 2000: LASER-BLOG OF THE FUTURE!
Newest Post: Dreamcast GDEMU Video Review

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:49:12 PM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
So this year is LttP's 25th anniversary (well of the US release anyway)...any new leads on our mystery man?

My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:51:31 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I heard he became an insurance salesman in Council Bluffs, IA.

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:21:00 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

So this year is LttP's 25th anniversary (well of the US release anyway)...any new leads on our mystery man?

I'm curious as to the perceived importance of this guy. Seems like it was just some regular kid who won a Nintendo contest,nothing special.

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:44:44 PM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
Oh yeah? If you got your name put in a game that became one of the all-time great masterpieces of video gaming, you tell us how that'd be "nothing special" to you.  

My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:19:58 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Oh yeah? If you got your name put in a game that became one of the all-time great masterpieces of video gaming, you tell us how that'd be "nothing special" to you.  

Maybe he doesn't even care about it considering no one knows anything about the guy. I mean if it WAS a big deal to him I figure he would be touting it even to this day. 

I frequent a few Mega Man fan sites and I remember reading a piece on Daniel Valle,who came up with Knight Man for the North American robot master contest and had his name in the credits.....the dude said he's never played Mega Man 6.

You would think if it were a big deal that you would want to see your name in the credits but apparently not that guy. So maybe this guy is the same way?

Edited: 04/20/2017 at 02:27 PM by gutsman004

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:46:36 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Think of how lame it is that Nintendo didn't just allow Chris Houlihan to name something whatever he wanted in a game. They couldn't have just called him and said "Hey Chris you get to name a secret room in the new Zelda game whatever you want, what should it be?"

"Oh wow! How about Sorcerer Houlihan's Shrine? Or how about The Phantom Cave? Or Chris the Adventurer's Mystery Room?"

Nope, instead it was probably a conversation between two programmers.

"Hey what was the kid's name who won that contest they were talking about in that meeting yesterday?"

*Checks notes* "Chris Houlihan is his name"

"Cool, thanks" *Programs "Chris Houlihan Room" into game*

*goes for lunch*

My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"