Gamevaluenow has been sold

Sep 18 at 9:10:13 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

Originally posted by: Gloves

Originally posted by: leatherrebel5150

So out of curiosity, if/when NA takes its last breath, where is the next best place to go? Is there somewhere where most of us could/would congregate or does it all go to reddit/facebook?

I can guarantee that a member from here would make a new forum to host everyone.

Exactly.  This scenario has been discussed in many circles and would be a no-brainer if this place were to ever dissolve.

The real tough part will be picking the new name

-------------------------

Sep 18 at 9:20:22 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
NintendoSage.net, duh

(.com has someone parked there)

Edited: 09/18/2019 at 09:22 PM by barrels

Sep 18 at 9:24:53 PM
Nintendoman_1982 (0)

< Little Mac >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: barrels

NintendoSage.net, duh

I'd like to call it nintendouniverse.com: The source of all things in the Nintendo Universe.

Sep 18 at 9:25:33 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Nintendoman_1982

Originally posted by: barrels

NintendoSage.net, duh

I'd like to call it nintendouniverse.com: The source of all things in the Nintendo Universe.

I'll second that, so long as nobody lets you create the collection lists.

Sep 18 at 10:54:08 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Hmmm. NintendoUniverse, huh?

... Nintendo-U

What kinda bonehead organization would just tack a "U" on for the next iteration of something?  

Sep 18 at 11:10:57 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Br81zad

Hmmm. NintendoUniverse, huh?

... Nintendo-U

What kinda bonehead organization would just tack a "U" on for the next iteration of something?  

NintendU

Sep 18 at 11:13:52 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
NintendoAgeIITheRevenge.com

SW-6786-5095-2210

Sep 19 at 12:22:21 AM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Who is it gonna be though? Is someone already working on it? Is someone reading this thread and thinking "yeah, I'm probably gonna do it." I guess there's always discord. Jeff will probably read this thread and pull the plug since we're all ungrateful brats.

I guess a similar thing happened with modretro.com, one member made bitbuilt.net and all the "real" core members moved over there.

Let's just not make people choose between 2 sites or anything weird like that. I used to use a CI tool called Hudson at my last job, and then one company bought another, and the original creator continued the project under a different name. (Jenkins) The Hudson team said that Jenkins was a fork of the original product, while all the Jenkins people said Hudson was the fork, since it was now owned by other people etc. They worked basically the same way, but I had to pick a side when deciding which to use.

Sep 19 at 10:33:56 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
I'll say that I've considered writing forum software from the ground up and a social network service that would be a bit like reddit, but written in such a way that information doesn't effectively "die" after about a week, and is more easily organizable within communities, searchable, can be subscribed too, etc. What's good about forums is so much information today, on all social platforms is "disposable". Forums are good for asking questions and preserving information and conversations and are easily searched and browsed. Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, etc... when you go to those sites, they are geared towards showing you the "latest" updates. To use an analogy, all of these current social sites are like a pot on a rolling boil, while forums (which seem to be dying) are more like a pot on a rolling boil-- slower but getting the job done.

I'd like to create something in between a traditional forum site like this, or other BBSs, but a with a few more features we expect to see in modern social sites, such as the ability to create and manage communities from the service, as well as have a landing page that contains all the forums you are following and might even have an area of recent/hot topics. Messages can be liked/downvoted for those metrics and things. The idea being, yes, it's a forum but it also collects data to show what has been "trending" in the communities you follow for the past 24 hours or so.

What's keeping me from doing this is time. I just started a new job and it's the first time in a long time I have to go into the office for 2-3 days a week. I just don't have the time I'd like to dedicate to this project. Regardless, if I succeeded or had a team to help, a new Nintendo gaming and collecting community was one that I was going to personally create.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Sep 19 at 12:57:59 PM
TheBiRD (82)
(Eric 007-373-5963) < Kraid Killer >
Quebec
Nintendoh.com

Looking for SNeS : NHL 95-96 both sealed mint. Trade or $$ ! Help me complete my sealed set (I've Nhlpa93, nhl94, nhl97 and nhl98)

My SELLING Thread <------------------------------------------------------CLICK THERE 

Sep 19 at 1:33:39 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
nes.com

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Sep 19 at 1:35:51 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California

Originally posted by: OptOut

Originally posted by: punch-out!!84

There is really no financial gain to be had in updating this site. However, I can see potential to monetize the tracker beyond using the algorithms internally. I think it's a mistake on that end to alienate users and contributors of the data for that site.

If I was just looking to make money, I'd capture every piece of valuable historic information from this site and then just let it fade away and not waste the money keeping it around.

It's no different than buying competitors and then dumping their employees.

I don't understand why he needed to buy NA to get that data, seeing as this is a public forum and all the information that has been gathered here over the years is primarily factual, historical record rather than anything creative that could be copyrighted. Even with original research into like variants or whatever, the word on the page is copyrighted, but the actual facts of what's out there cannot be claimed or owned by anyone.

I've certainly seen enough to know that NA was already spiralling before the buyout, but the buyout itself has done absolutely nothing to arrest that and may even have driven more of us away.

If nothing else, the photos in the database would be copyrighted to NA.

Are you talking about cart/box/manual images? Those probably wouldn't be, since the content is already copyrighted.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Sep 19 at 1:46:08 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
NintendoRage.com

Sep 19 at 1:57:29 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Manbabies.com

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Sep 19 at 2:22:29 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Lincoln

Originally posted by: OptOut

Originally posted by: punch-out!!84

There is really no financial gain to be had in updating this site. However, I can see potential to monetize the tracker beyond using the algorithms internally. I think it's a mistake on that end to alienate users and contributors of the data for that site.

If I was just looking to make money, I'd capture every piece of valuable historic information from this site and then just let it fade away and not waste the money keeping it around.

It's no different than buying competitors and then dumping their employees.

I don't understand why he needed to buy NA to get that data, seeing as this is a public forum and all the information that has been gathered here over the years is primarily factual, historical record rather than anything creative that could be copyrighted. Even with original research into like variants or whatever, the word on the page is copyrighted, but the actual facts of what's out there cannot be claimed or owned by anyone.

I've certainly seen enough to know that NA was already spiralling before the buyout, but the buyout itself has done absolutely nothing to arrest that and may even have driven more of us away.

If nothing else, the photos in the database would be copyrighted to NA.

Are you talking about cart/box/manual images? Those probably wouldn't be, since the content is already copyrighted.

Mmm true. Yeah I guess if anything the only real copyright would be on how the data exists in its state. I don't claim to be a legal buff though, so I shouldn't talk anymore haha.