Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Is there a Retron 6 coming out in the next couple of years?

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:12:47 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Flam

Should I just keep hoarding CRT's?

I collect CRTs for originally non-gaming reasons but...why? I'm not up on the latest but don't LCDs still have antenna connections? Can one not play on channel 3 on new flat TV or is there a lag thing? And is composite getting phased out?

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:27:17 PM
Entity (83)
(M H) < Lolo Lord >
California
Originally posted by: gunpei

Should I just keep hoarding CRT's?

I collect CRTs for originally non-gaming reasons but...why? I'm not up on the latest but don't LCDs still have antenna connections? Can one not play on channel 3 on new flat TV or is there a lag thing? And is composite getting phased out?
I actually bought a flat screen LCD television at a flea market in a moment of weakness for $50 just because it had the old coax connector as well as composite, component, s-video, and vga. So they do exist. Lag is still going to be an issue though.

-------------------------
Want List.
Trade List.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:37:07 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
Wait for emulators to get a little better, than they'll release it. High quality emulation box nobody gives a shit about because their game plugs into a connector and is never used again, hehe.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:45:46 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
Flam, find yourself a 13-20" CRT TV manufactured sometime in the 2000s. The sets will probably have some mix of composite, s-video, & component inputs and they're young enough you won't have to worry about them dying on you anytime soon.

I wouldn't worry about CRTs become hard to find in the wild. CRT TVs are probably going to stick around people's homes for at least another twenty years.

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Mar 19, 2015 at 3:27:51 PM
Flam (0)
(Harvey Updyke) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Originally posted by: teh lurv

I wouldn't worry about CRTs become hard to find in the wild. CRT TVs are probably going to stick around people's homes for at least another twenty years.

See, I don't buy that. I think we will see a rapid decline of available CRT's as most will be hitting the scrap heaps in 5-10 years. There is no use for them except retro gaming and the "Greatest Generation" is phasing out pretty quickly. My parents are in thier mid-60's and don't own a CRT.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:39:33 PM
MathUser2929 (0)
(D L) < Eggplant Wizard >
South Dakota
The retron 5 was advertised in the latest issue of Retro magazine.

Mar 19, 2015 at 5:04:25 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts

See, I don't buy that. I think we will see a rapid decline of available CRT's as most will be hitting the scrap heaps in 5-10 years. There is no use for them except retro gaming and the "Greatest Generation" is phasing out pretty quickly. My parents are in thier mid-60's and don't own a CRT.

I think you're underestimating the pervasiveness of CRT TVs. There are plenty of CRT TVs out there with a digital tuner or cable box serving as either the primary or secondary TV. Maybe 10-20 years from now finding a 32"+ CRT TV will be tough since those are the ones more likely to be replaced with HDTVs first, but I think you shouldn't have too much trouble finding 13-20" CRT sets. There isn't as big of a compelling reason to replace the 13" TV set in the guest room or kitchen.

Who knows, maybe in 20 years future-hipsters will lead a resurgance in CRT TV sales?

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:19:46 PM
Enig (0)
( ....) < Cherub >
Illinois

Who knows, maybe in 20 years future-hipsters will lead a resurgance in CRT TV sales?

Just think, they're $2 to $5 now at thrift stores, and in 20 years online auctions will be nothing but "RARE Toshiba CRT Tube Television 1994 -- Great Shape | Buy It Now $49.99 | Shipping $70.00"