Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Ebay/Gamestop/Craiglist/Amazon/Goodwill/etc rant thread. Do you have a problem with Ebay/Gamestop/Craiglist/Amazon/etc? Do you wanna vent about it? Heres your thread to do so.

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:15:12 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: laserman81

I finally put one of these "Wanted, Old Video Games" ads on Craigslist a few days ago. I got a response I wanted to share with you, here is goes.

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on AT&T
Ok. So here are what I have
1. Super. Nintendo. W 3 games. 3std controllers
Games are s m bro, street fighter II andmortal combat
2. Nintendo64. W 2controllers and 5 games
Games are Pokemon snap x2 pokemon stadium star wars and Tarzan
3.sega. gennisis. W 2 controllers. No games
4. Sony playstation w 7 games 1std controller. And one wireless
games are need f speed high stakes r4 ridge racer type 4 motor racer nascar 98 hardcore 4x4 and jeramy mg supercross 98
And their are other controllers. Old school rd switch dreamcast remote. Couple joystick for Origanal. Nintendo bunch of wires all kinds of stuff.
well what u think quit the collection. Of stuff ion tried of looking at. Call me XXXXXX

I send him this. (All of this is dirty and beat to hell just FYI)

Hi XXXXXX. I looked through your list of games and I could offer you $45 for everything. The old PS1 systems are hard to even give away and the Genesis is almost the same way. Let me know what you can do, thanks!

I get this brilliant response back.

Yeah! I don't Belive I will do that hell I should get $45 for digging that junk out ands putting the email togather so I thought was a collector not reselling them. If you come up with a better number theirs more I just haven't dug it all out that was the older stuff

Apparently I need to give him $45 for just digging this stuff out. I guess sometimes you just have to laugh to keep from crying.

Those SNES STD controllers might be interesting....   

Damn, that wasn't much of a rant. Fuck all of you Craigslist flakes that think your junk is worth more than gold!! There, is that better?

I understand your offer since its dirty and you are trying to get a good deal, but a helpful hint:

Dont ever try to explain a lowball offer in an intial offer. People do not want to here there stuff is worthless, even though actually a genesis and ps1 arent worthless if they have the cords and work. Genesis systems actually sell quite well for 35-40 bucks with a sonic 2 and all the cords. Sold consoles only pretty easy for 25 shipped each. Just remember people are emotional and sometimes attached to their stuff. In an initial offer you can lowball but dont explain why. Ive lost some good deals by doing what you just did. Just some helpful advice that I have learned. You can always send them the lowball offer, and if they dont agree then you can explain if you really want it.

-------------------------

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:47:17 AM
Retroscribe81 (241)
(Bill H) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
I'd almost completely agree on that one, Jeff. Sometimes getting (or not getting) a lot for a good price depends on your word choice, intonation, and phrasing.

I'm going to give you a couple examples of the same exact offer (as an email/text response), tell me which one you would take:

1) $45

2) ill pay u 45 bux

3) Hi! Sounds like you have some really cool stuff there. I think I could buy them from you for $40-$45. I can pick them up if you're local, too. Thanks, hope to hear from you soon!

4) Hi XXXXXX. I looked through your list of games and I could offer you $45 for everything. The old PS1 systems are hard to even give away and the Genesis is almost the same way. Let me know what you can do, thanks!

ETA:  I strongly prefer making deals over the phone or in person.  I've been in sales-oriented work my entire life, and even though you're the one paying - you're still in a sales role.  You're selling this guy on giving you his stuff at a price you want.  I really feel I could get almost anything for the right price given an in-person or phone conversation.

Edited: 03/31/2012 at 12:48 AM by Retroscribe81

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:29:39 AM
nukie (31)
(Nathan Anderson) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
Something that really ticks me off is when you are selling something through auction and you get a real lowball offer (in this case it was less than half what it ended at). I reply, no thanks I'll take my chances with the auction but please bid as you may get it for that; then I get an angry response. How dare I want to make money and not help a reseller get a great deal.

I don't play WoW, but I make chainmail for cats. - Montana Baker

The next time someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football.

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:36:59 PM
swiftninja55 (0)
(Robert Jones) < Tourian Tourist >
Michigan
Theirs more shit in this thread about ebay alone and shit then the other 3 sites combined.

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:44:41 AM
sapphira07 (4)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Craig Patterson) < Crack Trooper >
Georgia
I hate ebay... too many idiots... non payers, and noobs.

Craigslist is a bunch of tire kickers and scammers...

That is why I started my own auction site...

We will see what happens.

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:29:06 PM
Busdriverj (102)
(Jason Faulkenberry) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
Another rant to throw on the pile, this time Goodwill. Yes, we all know and love good ol Goodwill. Its a good place you take your junk and they sell if for cheap, right? Arent they a Not-For-Profit too?? Well guess again...

I bought something from them on ebay a couple weeks ago, a strategy guide. It cost $4.39 with free shipping. Sounded decent and with no picture it was worth a gamble. No big deal really so I go ahead and pay since it was a BIN. They refunded my money the next day telling me it was sold already. It IS Goodwill so its possible this happened, no beef.

Fast forward to today. Well since I didnt get that Strat guide I still want to get one. Im browsing eBay and find one thats too expensive but I look anyways. Its good ol Goodwillbk again, with the same guide but $10 MORE. They now raised it to $14.46. Are they really in the business to screw people over now or is it greedy bastards running the eBay page that get a cut of sales? This really annoys me cause, well, they get the shit FOR FREE. Im not blaming eBay on this one, its all the sellers fault and the seller is GoodWillBK.

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:49:43 PM
Retroscribe81 (241)
Pennsylvania
Non-profit, or for-profit - that is total bullshit. If you make a mistake, you deal with it.

Sometimes when I'm listing, after I put in my price, some weird thing happens and the BIN price becomes $1.00.

I ended up selling a SMB2 cart for $1.00 shipped due to that error once. Sometimes you take one for the team, even though mine was an honest error, not an instance where I said: "Oh, I could have got a lot more for this!"

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:49:38 AM
Indigo_Streetlight (48)
(John Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Busdriverj

Another rant to throw on the pile, this time Goodwill. Yes, we all know and love good ol Goodwill. Its a good place you take your junk and they sell if for cheap, right? Arent they a Not-For-Profit too?? Well guess again...

I bought something from them on ebay a couple weeks ago, a strategy guide. It cost $4.39 with free shipping. Sounded decent and with no picture it was worth a gamble. No big deal really so I go ahead and pay since it was a BIN. They refunded my money the next day telling me it was sold already. It IS Goodwill so its possible this happened, no beef.

Fast forward to today. Well since I didnt get that Strat guide I still want to get one. Im browsing eBay and find one thats too expensive but I look anyways. Its good ol Goodwillbk again, with the same guide but $10 MORE. They now raised it to $14.46. Are they really in the business to screw people over now or is it greedy bastards running the eBay page that get a cut of sales? This really annoys me cause, well, they get the shit FOR FREE. Im not blaming eBay on this one, its all the sellers fault and the seller is GoodWillBK.

It's greed. I'm at the point where I don't want to support them with donations anymore, and I've always been against the online arm of their business. It used to be that you could get decent deals from them, but now they jack up AS IS stuff to full market value--it's a joke.

With a reseller at least you're getting something that was tested, and they might be making as little as $5 profit. Looked at in this context I can only imagine the killing that Goodwill managers must make on their free inventory.

That night the Captain’s granddaughter
Would celebrate her birthday
“I’ve come a long way,” said the Captain,
“From Lost Christabel this night.
Accompanied by my dog familiar,
To blast your rafters with my surprise.
Granddaughter, It’s a foreign mirror
Taken from the jungle by crime!”

~ Blue Oyster Cult - Magna of Illusion

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:17:10 AM
Indigo_Streetlight (48)
Maryland
Originally posted by: linktothepastgaming

I'd almost completely agree on that one, Jeff. Sometimes getting (or not getting) a lot for a good price depends on your word choice, intonation, and phrasing.

I'm going to give you a couple examples of the same exact offer (as an email/text response), tell me which one you would take:

1) $45

2) ill pay u 45 bux

3) Hi! Sounds like you have some really cool stuff there. I think I could buy them from you for $40-$45. I can pick them up if you're local, too. Thanks, hope to hear from you soon!

4) Hi XXXXXX. I looked through your list of games and I could offer you $45 for everything. The old PS1 systems are hard to even give away and the Genesis is almost the same way. Let me know what you can do, thanks!

ETA:  I strongly prefer making deals over the phone or in person.  I've been in sales-oriented work my entire life, and even though you're the one paying - you're still in a sales role.  You're selling this guy on giving you his stuff at a price you want.  I really feel I could get almost anything for the right price given an in-person or phone conversation.
In-person is the best way to roll I think; unless the game lot is a no-brainer I don't like making offers without seeing the condition.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:37:08 AM
Busdriverj (102)
(Jason Faulkenberry) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
Wow, funniest thing just happened. Well before this Goodwill crap, I had bought the same strat guide on eBay and it got lost in the mail. That seller refunded my money as soon as I said something (I was impressed). Thats why I bought it from GW. Well, the copy that was lost form the original sale showed up today!! Isnt that nuts? Ill be contacting the first seller and resending them the money for it. I told them I would if it were ever to show up and that actually happened. I thought it was lost in the abyss of USPS.

But I still stand by my original point, fuck GoodwillBK on eBay. Id post this in the HoS but I dont know if that thread has been straightened out yet, lol.

Apr 16, 2012 at 2:51:48 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

Non-profit, or for-profit - that is total bullshit. If you make a mistake, you deal with it.

Sometimes when I'm listing, after I put in my price, some weird thing happens and the BIN price becomes $1.00.

I ended up selling a SMB2 cart for $1.00 shipped due to that error once. Sometimes you take one for the team, even though mine was an honest error, not an instance where I said: "Oh, I could have got a lot more for this!"

Dude I know exactly what your saying. Ill type in like 13.99 and click the next thing and it changes to 13.00. or ill type 89.99 and itll say 80.00. Ebays system has been glitching like crazy, and there pic uploader might be the worst online. I wish I could let another site host my main image. It would be so much faster.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:05:50 PM
thesubcon3 (148)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Texas
So I just ordered Bram Stoker's Dracula for the NES on Amazon and the dumbass seller sent me the bluray sealed. Funny thing is that the bluray is worth about half what I paid for the NES game. Now the hassle of either getting my money back or doing an exchange. I bet the retard doesn't even have the NES version though.

Check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

Get one of my latest books...The Complete SNES - Definitive Edition! 

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
Obscure Games for the PC-FX, Vectrex, Neo Geo, MSX
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, Blade Buster (with save)

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:31:09 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: thesubcon3

So I just ordered Bram Stoker's Dracula for the NES on Amazon and the dumbass seller sent me the bluray sealed. Funny thing is that the bluray is worth about half what I paid for the NES game. Now the hassle of either getting my money back or doing an exchange. I bet the retard doesn't even have the NES version though.

wow that sucks. lol they better not ask you for a dime in the exchange. Return shipping sucks when the seller sends the wrong item. I usually just say keep it if its under 15-20 bucks and if its over pay the return shipping. Amazon handles it differently when its directly from them, but never had to do an exchange from a regular seller on there.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:47:56 AM
Indigo_Streetlight (48)
Maryland
Originally posted by: thesubcon3

Last time something like that happened to me the seller shipped me the correct item plus a pre-paid mailer for the return. Chances are if they don't give a refund or attempt to make things right at no cost to you, you'll be able to launch right into a claim and snag yourself easy justice that way.

Edited: 04/17/2012 at 01:59 AM by Indigo_Streetlight

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:32:31 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: quest4nes

Dude I know exactly what your saying. Ill type in like 13.99 and click the next thing and it changes to 13.00. or ill type 89.99 and itll say 80.00. Ebays system has been glitching like crazy, and there pic uploader might be the worst online. I wish I could let another site host my main image. It would be so much faster.

Host images through photobucket, then upload them via url to eBay?  That's what I do.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:32:30 PM
elitewombat (14)
(C U) < Eggplant Wizard >
Minnesota
You should update 38 items to meet Top-rated seller service requirements and get discounts.

F**k you Ebay.

Click here to go to my Ebay items.

Click here to go to my paper items for offer.

Apr 20, 2012 at 3:53:59 PM
GhaleonsDeadMyFriend (137)
(Ghaleon's Dead My Friend) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: elitewombat

You should update 38 items to meet Top-rated seller service requirements and get discounts.

F**k you Ebay.
This.

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:39:54 PM
Retroscribe81 (241)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: GhaleonsDeadMyFriend

F**k you Ebay.
This.

I spoke to a supervisor at eBay on this.

You have until 11:59pm the next business day to upload tracking info.  Which means 1-day handling can actually be 2-day handling if you print your own labels.

Apr 20, 2012 at 8:16:30 PM
GhaleonsDeadMyFriend (137)
(Ghaleon's Dead My Friend) < El Ripper >
United States

Originally posted by: GhaleonsDeadMyFriend

F**k you Ebay.
This.

I spoke to a supervisor at eBay on this.

You have until 11:59pm the next business day to upload tracking info.  Which means 1-day handling can actually be 2-day handling if you print your own labels.

I figured this out and that part's not too bad.  But, still very frustrated about the 14-day return policy. I already had a customer pull a PCB switch on me, and I can't prove it because I don't even have time to photograph the underside of a game disc, much less take apart a cartridge and document the intracies of a circuit board.  I'd love to find a very subtle way to "stamp" the PCB without opening it up.  Maybe a dab of acrylic paint on the edge?  I have really stretched my brain trying to figure this out.

Apr 24, 2012 at 8:45:06 AM
NexPhr3ak0r (75)

(Max Power) < El Ripper >
Massachusetts
ebay can be a pain in the ass. So i got a good deal on a Mario Kart 64 in the original box for $13. I open the package yesterday and it is Mario Party 2 cart only with a Mario Party manual. I know Mario Party 2 is a more expensive game but I was kinda looking forward to playing Mario Kart. The seller thinks he may have switched packages so now i get to deal with this.

May 1, 2012 at 2:20:55 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: jonebone

Originally posted by: quest4nes

Host images through photobucket, then upload them via url to eBay?  That's what I do.

I do that. Im talking about the auction primary photo. There uploader at times runs painfully slow

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

May 3, 2012 at 5:04:31 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
I want to put this out there as this is some new form of shipping fraud going on with ebay sellers. I had this happen to me with Quest 64 which I won for $3 and $4 for USPS Priority Mail Envelope shipping.

That Quest 64 game on ebay I won a few days ago for $7 shipped I never saw a tracking on it so I asked.

I got this comment in return:
Please note that in the est. delivery time it states 33-35 bussniess days.

I had no idea it would take that long because the estimator is what it is. I wrote him back saying I hope that it doesn't take that long. I can't see why something going out standard mail would take a month. I called ebay to ask about it. It stumped the rep. It appears that the seller is actually committing fraud both on myself and ebay as it violates their TOS. The interesting fact is since they set a 1month out HANDLING date ebay's own system won't allow for a case to be opened up against the seller, nor will it allow a cancellation and refund. They told me to either wait the period out, or strongly suggested I open up a paypal claim against the seller to get my cash back faster. The rep at ebay was annoyed someone figured this out and submitted it to their supervisor in hopes of having a system update blocking people from using 1mo of handling because officially it's only allowed for preorders on new items.

Basically people can get you to pay premium shipping due to a flaw in the ebay shipping setup and then make you wait as long as they like with the 'HANDLING' of it until they want to send it. In this case they think they can hold my cash for a month and then deliver which means they don't have it (likely), lazy, or selling while away. eBay called it fraud and escalated it internally for their systems people via the supervisor. Keep an eye out on handling times as they may change on you after the fact.

May 3, 2012 at 5:08:02 PM
acomicbookguyc (350)
(Cristian Romero ) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Tanooki

I want to put this out there as this is some new form of shipping fraud going on with ebay sellers. I had this happen to me with Quest 64 which I won for $3 and $4 for USPS Priority Mail Envelope shipping.

That Quest 64 game on ebay I won a few days ago for $7 shipped I never saw a tracking on it so I asked.

I got this comment in return:
Please note that in the est. delivery time it states 33-35 bussniess days.

I had no idea it would take that long because the estimator is what it is. I wrote him back saying I hope that it doesn't take that long. I can't see why something going out standard mail would take a month. I called ebay to ask about it. It stumped the rep. It appears that the seller is actually committing fraud both on myself and ebay as it violates their TOS. The interesting fact is since they set a 1month out HANDLING date ebay's own system won't allow for a case to be opened up against the seller, nor will it allow a cancellation and refund. They told me to either wait the period out, or strongly suggested I open up a paypal claim against the seller to get my cash back faster. The rep at ebay was annoyed someone figured this out and submitted it to their supervisor in hopes of having a system update blocking people from using 1mo of handling because officially it's only allowed for preorders on new items.

Basically people can get you to pay premium shipping due to a flaw in the ebay shipping setup and then make you wait as long as they like with the 'HANDLING' of it until they want to send it. In this case they think they can hold my cash for a month and then deliver which means they don't have it (likely), lazy, or selling while away. eBay called it fraud and escalated it internally for their systems people via the supervisor. Keep an eye out on handling times as they may change on you after the fact.
People would do anything for a dollar. It stumps me to even think someone would be fine with a one month handling time. 

Help me complete my N64 set!
225/296 Carts - 228/296 Manuals - 236/296 Boxes
http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

May 3, 2012 at 8:44:42 PM
Laserman (179)

(Joe ) < Bowser >
Oklahoma
Holy shit, I am really getting tired of brainless fucks on Craigslist. Will everyone please send this guy a text and ask what games are included???

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.or...

Here is out text conversation

Me:Can you send me a list of the NES games you have for sale? Thanks.

Him:Are you wanting the whole system and all?

Me:Maybe, I would like to know what games are included.

Him:Well I'm selling it all together, you take one piece you take it all, are you local OKC?

Me:I am local, can you send me a list?

Him:I really don't have time, if your'e serious and want to meet we can do that.
(Are you fucking kidding me??? You only have 15 games and can't send me a list???)

Me:If you don't have a list to send to me then I am not interested, sorry.

Him:You can't meet up?

Me:Not without knowing if what you have is what I am looking for.

Him:What are you looking for?

Me:Nevermind.

Him:I find it funny how it's all your way or the highway!

Him:Tell me what you're looking for and I will tell you if I have it.

Him:There;s way more that $100.00 worth here, I just need the space.

Him: My phones about to die, I can call you and tell you the games.

Me: OK

He calls...

SMB/DH
Silent Service
Popeye
Rampart
Kung Fu
Hogan's Alley
10 Yard Fight
Track & Field...some more worthless BS. Sometimes I underestimate how stupid people can be...

Edited: 05/03/2012 at 08:47 PM by Laserman

May 3, 2012 at 8:49:05 PM
Retroscribe81 (241)
Pennsylvania
Haha wow - that's a good one!

Part of the game, bro - you won't be so angry with douchebags like that after you score a $1k lot for $100