NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Current homebrew/reproduction companies and websites Latest addition 5/15/2014

LOCKED TOPIC

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:10:24 PM
gwyndion (322)
(Cookie Monster) < King Solomon >
California
Updated OCDGamer. He has a HUGE selection now and has a active website. He can also do some SNES repro work if you need something.

-------------------------

If anyone is LOOKING for certain repro/homebrews, I have a running repro company thread going as well as a lot of extras myself which include Limited Editions as well.  I'm also free to help answer questions and point people in the right direction so never hesitate to ask!  Here is the current list of repro companies.  Please let me know if I need to update it:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:10:24 AM
suicidalparrot (126)
(matt s) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
back to the top with this. Dunno why it has been sinking down the page since it is a stickied thread.

Edited: 04/12/2012 at 03:11 AM by suicidalparrot

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:33:35 AM
Holy Sorcerer (30)
(Dan Gillette) < Crack Trooper >
Wisconsin
I don't have a website or anything, but I just bought all of the equipment that I need to produce reproductions and am planning to produce some for sale as a means of income (unemployed and have a family to feed). Would there be any interest in my services, or does this board just buy from the "big" guys?

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:27:40 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
I'd like to have NintendoAge Games added to the list, the first game will be released in the next month or two.

Information here:
http://www.nintendoage.com/auth/f...

Apr 24, 2012 at 2:38:56 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Paul

I'd like to have NintendoAge Games added to the list, the first game will be released in the next month or two.

Information here:
http://www.nintendoage.com/auth/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=...

Aren't they all being made and sold by RetroZone? (already on the list)

This thread is for listing people making the hardware not the software... also, that's not a reproduction, it's an unlicensed competition cart...

I thought there was another, similar thread somewhere but specific to homebrew?

Edited: 04/24/2012 at 02:52 PM by arch_8ngel

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:00:31 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Information here:

This thread is for listing people making the hardware not the software... also, that's not a reproduction, it's an unlicensed competition cart...

Boo on you, can't I promote my game without interference

Also this is Gwyndion's thread and he calls everything a repro, so how would one know this is limited to reproductions and not homebrews.

Also some on this list aren't hardware makers, just retail outlets for the actual hardware makers, so is there a specific set of criteria for this?

Edited: 04/24/2012 at 03:01 PM by NewUser123456789

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:06:20 PM
gwyndion (322)
California
Originally posted by: Holy Sorcerer

I don't have a website or anything, but I just bought all of the equipment that I need to produce reproductions and am planning to produce some for sale as a means of income (unemployed and have a family to feed). Would there be any interest in my services, or does this board just buy from the "big" guys?
We are always looking for new repro makers.  What I would recommend is to make a couple interesting titles and then start a For Sale thread that I can link in here.  If you want to just do requests for repro carts and do them on an as requested basis, I can list you down for that.  For now, I can pop your name on the list if you would like.

In the future, anyone interested in doing repros or selling repros that is not on the list already, PLEASE PM ME so I can work out what you are comfortable with and I will add you to the list.  I just want to make sure that I represent everyone fairly and I will always give everyone a shot and list them.  I do like to buy a repro from every maker so I can comment on their work for everyone to see so please PM me and let me know what you would like to do for the community and I will list you.

If anyone is LOOKING for certain repro/homebrews, I have a running repro company thread going as well as a lot of extras myself which include Limited Editions as well.  I'm also free to help answer questions and point people in the right direction so never hesitate to ask!  Here is the current list of repro companies.  Please let me know if I need to update it:

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:48:42 PM
gwyndion (322)
California

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Information here:

Boo on you, can't I promote my game without interference

Also this is Gwyndion's thread and he calls everything a repro, so how would one know this is limited to reproductions and not homebrews.

Also some on this list aren't hardware makers, just retail outlets for the actual hardware makers, so is there a specific set of criteria for this?

First, I changed the titles of the thread to include homebrew as well as reproductions since this has been a continual issue and I do agree that Homebrews deserve to be recognized separately to reproductions so I will TRY to not intermix the two terms.

Paul, I would love to promote the NintendoAge Games but as Arch_8ngel said, they are sold through RetroZone.  I try to list the companies where people can actually buy the games.  The makers are listed on websites such as NES World and NES.DEV

You know how much I want to promote the HBWCC and how awesome it is but unless NintendoAge Games (The developer) is going to have an active selling themselves, it's really hard to list them.  In the meantime, I can post a link for the Campout and do a list of games that will be sold there and bump it to the top and then remove it after the Campout since it WILL have some exclusive releases.  But then I also have to look at the fact that there are exclusive homebrews/repros sold at PRGE, Cowlitz Gamers for kids (not this time but sometimes), Too Many Games, etc. etc. and then it turns into a homebrew/reproductions/events type thread and as you can tell there is already a huge list of sellers.  So yeah, even though some sites, such as Stone Age Gamer, only sell the stuff and don't make it, it's where people can actually acquire the items which is what I get asked for and what I was trying to provide with the thread.

So since I absolutely love NA and want to promote campout, I WILL list NA Campout 2012 on the list and put the confirmed games being sold there so that everyone knows what to expect if they go.  I can also provide a link in it to your cart.  I have a small amount of time so I will try to update the list for you right now.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:53:15 AM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
http://www.ngdevdirect.com/

I figured you should add this badboy to the list for Dreamcast and neo geo enthusiasts.

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:28:41 AM
Holy Sorcerer (30)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: gwyndion

Originally posted by: Holy Sorcerer

We are always looking for new repro makers.  What I would recommend is to make a couple interesting titles and then start a For Sale thread that I can link in here.  If you want to just do requests for repro carts and do them on an as requested basis, I can list you down for that.  For now, I can pop your name on the list if you would like.

In the future, anyone interested in doing repros or selling repros that is not on the list already, PLEASE PM ME so I can work out what you are comfortable with and I will add you to the list.  I just want to make sure that I represent everyone fairly and I will always give everyone a shot and list them.  I do like to buy a repro from every maker so I can comment on their work for everyone to see so please PM me and let me know what you would like to do for the community and I will list you.

Yesterday I got a batch of rom chips in and have successfully completed my first three reproductions (sans art, that is coming soon).  They all worked perfectly and I couldn't be happier with the results.  My first reproductions were Moai-kun, Sweet Home (eng), and Home Bound Zero (uncensored).  My next planned game I want to tackle is Super Mario Bros. 2j, but I had to order different size roms for that, so that will have to wait a little bit.  I'd also love to try my hand at a custom multi-game cart, but that will have to wait until I see the fruits of my current labor.

I really am hoping to be able to sell these and make some money, as I said, I am currently unemployed and in need of the income.  After I get my artwork worked out I'll start a For Sale thread to guage any interest.  My current plan is to offer any feasable NES game that never saw a commercial release in the USA.  If this goes well I would also love to get into SNES reproductions too (Star Fox 2 anyone?), but I'm going to take this one step at a time. 

Commisions would be awesome, and I'd be willing to reproduce any game not commercially available in the USA.  I am also willing to reproduce whatever the client wanted (Homebrew, hacks, etc), provided they can send me their legally aquired rom files.

Edit:  I'd also be more than willing to burn a set of roms for someone so they can try their own hand at making a repro.

Edited: 04/28/2012 at 01:13 PM by Holy Sorcerer

May 9, 2012 at 10:16:37 AM
rubinhomoto (11)
(Rubens Araujo Julio) < Crack Trooper >
Brazil
Excellent Thread!!

Now I will try to Buy sweet home for nes with a Gray Cart!
Thanks!!

Impossible Dream??? All American NES Oficial Releases!!!
Current 672/677 99.26%
Last Game Added: Rockin Kats

http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

May 24, 2012 at 3:17:22 AM
gwyndion (322)
California
I just added Holy Sorceror to the list. He makes some awesome repros and does a very clean job on his wiring on the boards. Overall, I think he will be a VERY nice addition to repro makers on here. He sells directly on NA:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

May 28, 2012 at 5:17:01 PM
Retrostage (36)
(Mike S) < Meka Chicken >
Alberta
Hey Gwyndion just wanted to see if you could update the link to my Retrostage Repros site. It is now at "www.retrostage.net...".

Thanks!

Brand New NES, SNES, N64 and Sega Genesis boards available! Great for reproductions/homebrew! http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Buy them from my website here: http://www.retrostage.net

May 29, 2012 at 10:06:23 AM
gwyndion (322)
California
Originally posted by: Retrostage

Hey Gwyndion just wanted to see if you could update the link to my Retrostage Repros site. It is now at "www.retrostage.net...".

Thanks!
Updated.  Thanks for the heads up!

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:01:37 PM
MrFlutterPie (43)
(Rick Taylor) < Kraid Killer >
Ontario
Thanks for the list! I just ordered a Splatterhouse for the NES from Retro Zone. I've wanted to play this game for a long time

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:17:08 PM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
Chunkout Games! http://chunkout.com...

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:40:21 AM
Holy Sorcerer (30)
Wisconsin
Just an update, but my web store is now ready for orders! As a bonus for all NA members, use the code "NintendoAge10" at checkout for an extra 10% off of your entire order!

www.doublebarreledgames.com...

Hurry up if you want to preorder Super Back to the Future II, as the preorder window closes on the 14th!

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:26:45 PM
Piko (51)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< King Solomon >
New Hampshire
Hey guys I know there is other thread around NA, but what is the deal about reproductions in terms of illegal or legal. I could not find a straight answer, as for it only stated that it depends a lot on ethics.

I tried researching but only found a website that stated that as the games were note released in USA you are not taking away profits to the developers in their market you are good.

for example, Sherlock Holmes (yes the book) is of public domain in the UK because it is over 120 years old. but in the US it still copyrighted until 2023, then it is legal to make Sherlock Holmes books without licensing rights in the UK but not in the US.

would this example explain the whole reproductions rights?

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:31:01 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: pichichi010

Hey guys I know there is other thread around NA, but what is the deal about reproductions in terms of illegal or legal. I could not find a straight answer, as for it only stated that it depends a lot on ethics.

I tried researching but only found a website that stated that as the games were note released in USA you are not taking away profits to the developers in their market you are good.

for example, Sherlock Holmes (yes the book) is of public domain in the UK because it is over 120 years old. but in the US it still copyrighted until 2023, then it is legal to make Sherlock Holmes books without licensing rights in the UK but not in the US.

would this example explain the whole reproductions rights?

assume illegal until you have solid proof otherwise for a specific title. generally nobody cares too much though. I've heard of two projects getting cease and desist letters, the chrono trigger hack project and a tetris competition cart.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:41:52 PM
Pennywise (2)

(Garrett Greenwood) < Tourian Tourist >
New York
There is no grey area when it comes to reproductions, it's clearly illegal at least when it comes to hacks and translation that modify an existing game. I see sites claim that because the game was never released in English etc, it makes it okay to sell it in English. The reality is that unless something is in the Public Domain, you need to own the rights to sell something commercially. To draw an equivalent, just because a movie wasn't released as a DVD in the US etc, doesn't make a bootleg any less legal to sell. In all honesty, repros are very close to being counterfeit goods if they aren't already based on the way some of them are advertised and designed.

That's one aspect, but another is repro sites selling other peoples works without their permission. I think it's the Berne Convention that states or maybe the DMCA that the translations can't be copyrighted, but the new code and graphics are in fact copyrightable. If someone had the time or money, they could sue someone over selling unauthorized copies of their work.

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:43:57 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California

That is a good moral argument, but legally is completely wrong.  

Copyright lasts 70-120 years in almost every country (move to Afghanistan?).  NES is almost 30 years old.  So repros will be illegal for a minimum of 40 more years everywhere.  The size of the profit, small production numbers, and release country does not affect any of that.

Original homebrews (like Battle Kid) and homebrews with the authors permission (like Glider) are not included in the above.

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:50:41 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

That is a good moral argument, but legally is completely wrong.  

Copyright lasts 70-120 years in almost every country (move to Afghanistan?).  NES is almost 30 years old.  So repros will be illegal for a minimum of 40 more years everywhere.  The size of the profit, small production numbers, and release country does not affect any of that.

Original homebrews (like Battle Kid) and homebrews with the authors permission (like Glider) are not included in the above.

Do you know how the law applies in the USA for japanese exclusive games?

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Jun 18, 2012 at 6:00:32 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
All countries that signed the Berne Convention agreed to respect copyright from other member nations. USA and Japan both signed, so Japanese copyrights are in full effect here.

Berne Convention also includes things like minimum copyright terms, automatic copyright (registration is not required for copyright to exist), and some fair uses.

Edited: 06/18/2012 at 06:02 PM by bunnyboy

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:33:13 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
Originally posted by: Pennywise

There is no grey area when it comes to reproductions, it's clearly illegal at least when it comes to hacks and translation that modify an existing game. I see sites claim that because the game was never released in English etc, it makes it okay to sell it in English. The reality is that unless something is in the Public Domain, you need to own the rights to sell something commercially. To draw an equivalent, just because a movie wasn't released as a DVD in the US etc, doesn't make a bootleg any less legal to sell. In all honesty, repros are very close to being counterfeit goods if they aren't already based on the way some of them are advertised and designed.

That's one aspect, but another is repro sites selling other peoples works without their permission. I think it's the Berne Convention that states or maybe the DMCA that the translations can't be copyrighted, but the new code and graphics are in fact copyrightable. If someone had the time or money, they could sue someone over selling unauthorized copies of their work.
There are still some grey areas outstanding, which are areas that are legally untested in various countries.
In Canada, it is currently legal to make your own copy of your own game and run a (freely available) translation patch on it to your heart's content.  Selling one is illegal, and buying or downloading a copy of something you are too lazy to make your own copy of is untested (but probably technically illegal from what I can tell)
edit: (and, of course buying or downloading a bootleg of anything you don't have a legit copy of is definately infringment.  It doesn't matter if the original was released in Japan, US or Canada or anywhere else).

There is a huge push going on to make international agreements stricter (with SOPA, ACTA, TPP, etc) and we just got the Royal DMCA shaft law here, so in a few months when C11 passes breathing will be infringement, but until then there is grey!

GRRR!

Edited: 07/06/2012 at 02:43 PM by cradelit

Jul 8, 2012 at 2:03:53 PM
gwyndion (322)
California
Just wanted to warn everyone about doublebarrel games. He is doing pre-orders for his Super Back To The Future 2 which he doesn't have any of the boxes or manuals yet. I also placed an order with him weeks ago for over $300 and he has yet to respond to any pm's I've sent him in the last few weeks. I just want everyone to be very cautious buying from him until we get this cleared up. So that's Holy Sorceror here on NA or Double Barrel Games. I will keep you all up to date with what I find out.

On a side note, I will be doing a comparison thread between the different box makers so you can all see what to expect from each. These box makers are Timewalkgames, Uncle Tusk & Nes-City. They all do excellent work and you can't go wrong with any of them but there are subtle differences between them and the original factory made boxes from Nintendo which I will show photos and explanations of on each.