Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Caltron Variant, CIB No UPC. Different logo & board. Might be a promotional copy.

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:47:27 PM
theplace4gamers (5)

(Josh Hamblin) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
Hello. Forgive me if this is the wrong board to post this on. I'm not the most fequent poster here. 

I recently acquired this Caltron in a lot, but I only noticed once it got here that this copy looks different from every other I've seen.
It doesn't have a UPC, the logo and box art has differencers and the board it definitely different. 
Have any of you seen this before? Anyone have any info on it? Know who I should go to for more information on it?

As for a list of the variations (that I've noticed):
* It doesn't say "Caltron" on the top front of the box, but instead says "Hot Selling!" to the top left exactly like the cart's front label. 
* On the sides, instead of saying "Caltron" three times, it says "6 in 1" three times. 
* On the back, each game's name is in green and there is no descriptions or additional text. 
* The UPC is just a blank white square.
* The red Caltron logo with the arrow/check mark on the bottom back is missing and instead just has "CALTRON IND. INC." in green with their address, phone, and fax numbers. 
* The carts back label is blue instead of black. 
* The manual front art is blueish instead of redish.
* The board is certaintly different. A taller chip. The bottom two eproms were windowed, so I covered them with tape. eveything else is positioned differently and more spread out. 

Any info would be appreicated. Let me know if there is anything else I can provide. I'll attach some photos. Thanks. 

Edited: 07/24/2017 at 02:52 PM by theplace4gamers

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:04:07 PM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
I believe this may be a PAL or European release. Others have spoken of it here. This game has a web of history. The most know being when it was bought out and rebranded the Myriad.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:53:31 AM
theplace4gamers (5)

United States
What's up Ben, I considered a pal release just was unable to track down history on that box. Did you find a link to an article/ discussion on it? Hmu on fb if you want to share a link with me. Thanks

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:58:36 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Originally posted by: theplace4gamers

What's up Ben, I considered a pal release just was unable to track down history on that box. Did you find a link to an article/ discussion on it? Hmu on fb if you want to share a link with me. Thanks

Posted a link above that speaks to it a bit.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:08:29 PM
NESfiend (25)
(Travis ) < El Ripper >
Missouri
Did you ever find anything out on this? I thought a variant expert would answer it quick. Your put it in the protoculture thread. Usually people are asking if a cart is a proto there. If that's your question, I don't think a proto would have a box and manual. My guess is its the PAL version that has been discussed before. Did caltron have a Canadian version? Some of the other unlicensed nes games had Canadian versions with slight differences like that. Maxi 15 cones to mind, but I think there are others.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:37:31 PM
theplace4gamers (5)

United States
I think you are right I didn't post this in the correct section. I have a difficult time navigating the site to be honest. I have received some good info on it but I have not seen any pictures to verify what they are talking about is the same thing. The link for the pics in another thread are no longer good.