NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

So uh...this walks into the store Stadium Events CIB

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:07:34 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: retrokidd89

Why is wanting to get full value for something you have greed? We have no idea of this lady's financial situation.

Agreed. If someone here found it for $7.99, I'm willing to wager that you wouldn't want any help selling it and would try to maximize your profits. Who cares what this lady wants to do with her own items.

-------------------------
Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:15:43 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Dude you own a game store! You have to have some free cash sitting around.

I never tap into my savings account to fund any gaming purchases, but if I was placed in a situation like that I'd make an exception. Like someone mentioned, you should throw $10k cash at it easy, you'd get far more than that if flipping.

I wouldn't want to sell on consignment either. I'd want substantial cash in hand, or max value at auction. You offer enough cash and make her aware of the dangers of auctions (shipping problems, scammers, lost packages, etc.) and she'll take your offer.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:20:10 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
Originally posted by: SavePointVG

She passed on my honest offer, is getting it VGA graded and will be selling on eBay. She found it here in town at the same goodwill that another member here found Family Fun Fitness Athletic World. She paid 7.99 plus tax. Still has the plastic on it but carefully opened, like all the other cib games that were there. Totally missed out on this one.

You should have just outright robbed her ;P . Knock her out silly, just like that.

JK.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:21:58 PM
Soera (164)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Oklahoma
Why does everyone feel that they deserve max value though? I guess I see things differently. Since people's personal financial situation was mentioned, I will start with the fact that I dont work, my wife does and makes $7.50 an hour and we have 3 kids ... so that shouldnt be an issue. My issue is the fact that someone found something for $8 and thinks they should get no less than 5 figures reselling it. Thats straight out greed, I dont give a fuck. Thats more profit percentage than Walmart makes a year. However you want to disguise it as something else, it still fits.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:22:36 PM
SavePointVG (351)
(Wilder Hamm) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
If we hadnt just opened for business less than 6 months ago I would have had the cash ready for this. I used to say the signed Miyamoto SP was the rarest thing that we would see for a while. Now Ive changed my tune. Either way Ive learned a good deal from this and perhaps our good intentions will pay off in the end.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:30:50 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Originally posted by: Soera

Why does everyone feel that they deserve max value though? I guess I see things differently. Since people's personal financial situation was mentioned, I will start with the fact that I dont work, my wife does and makes $7.50 an hour and we have 3 kids ... so that shouldnt be an issue. My issue is the fact that someone found something for $8 and thinks they should get no less than 5 figures reselling it. Thats straight out greed, I dont give a fuck. Thats more profit percentage than Walmart makes a year. However you want to disguise it as something else, it still fits.

Uh, because she clearly knows what it's worth? And seems not in a hurry for money? I mean, it's not a sXV painting, so she can do without an intermediary like Sotheby's, or any intermediary for that case. Even if she personally doesn't know how to use ebay for something like this, she might know someone who does, and won't take a comission (i.e. family and friends).

She has all the right to do whatever she wants with it, even to put it in a microwave. If I had an SE for nothing, that wouldn't deter me from getting as much as I could for it.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:31:21 PM
Bsavage2006 (53)
(Mo Vaughn) < El Ripper >
Ohio
Savepoint,you did the right honest thing. You probably offered her what you could, but you knew it wasn't enough. Man, I respect the heck out of you for that. Honestly, I get the lady wanting more for it not wanting to share the wealth, for everyone bashing her for it, you would totally do the same. I mean that thing was beautiful and just amazed to hear the story. You at least seen it in person, touched it, and know it's real, not many of us can say that.

Wish you could have gotten it, hope the sale goes well for the lady.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:31:43 PM
P13R4T (154)
(J. Kyle Smith) < El Ripper >
Indiana

Yar! Watch me pickup videos & see me Booty!
Last video: NintendoAge Campout 2012

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:36:48 PM
Soera (164)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Oklahoma
Originally posted by: buttheadrulesagain

Uh, because she clearly knows what it's worth? And seems not in a hurry for money? I mean, it's not a sXV painting, so she can do without an intermediary like Sotheby's, or any intermediary for that case. Even if she personally doesn't know how to use ebay for something like this, she might know someone who does, and won't take a comission (i.e. family and friends).

She has all the right to do whatever she wants with it, even to put it in a microwave. If I had an SE for nothing, that wouldn't deter me from getting as much as I could for it.

It looks like Im not going to get my point across on this arguement. Of course the person has every right to do with whatever they buy but that doesnt dispute the greed factor. Its funny how many people have no issue with people reselling crap for millions of percent profit but when that idiot who microwaves stuff he bought shows up on here, it ignites fury. I find both repulsive.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:38:55 PM
DMG (47)
(Dustin G.) < Kraid Killer >
Germany
Wow. This is the stuff I want to see in the Finders Keepers threads.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:40:38 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland

It looks like Im not going to get my point across on this arguement. Of course the person has every right to do with whatever they buy but that doesnt dispute the greed factor. Its funny how many people have no issue with people reselling crap for millions of percent profit but when that idiot who microwaves stuff he bought shows up on here, it ignites fury. I find both repulsive.

How is it greed to want fair market value for your item?  If you list something at 0.99 auction and it goes for 5 figures, you let the market decide your profit.  The "Greed" approach would be to list it on eBay at $1,000,000 BIN and not be negotiable. 

If you won the lottery for $40,000,000, would you give back $39,000,000 of it because you'd be "greedy" for needing more than $1M to live off of?  Same concept.  You are confusing "deserving" of money with chance luck.  No one is saying she deserves 5 figures because she made a $7.99 purchase, she just is entitled to a fair value due to her extremely lucky find.

Edited: 04/16/2013 at 01:41 PM by jonebone

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:42:40 PM
Piko (51)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< King Solomon >
New Hampshire
Why?! why always good threads turn out a debate for something that has nothing to do!

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:46:55 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
Mexico
Because SE is the vg collector's equivalent of the One Ring

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:47:34 PM
Munkifist (95)
(Jarrod Thompson) < Meka Chicken >
California

HAH! 

Edited: 04/16/2013 at 01:48 PM by Munkifist

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:47:38 PM
Bsavage2006 (53)
(Mo Vaughn) < El Ripper >
Ohio

pretty much

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:53:25 PM
Otter (73)
(T Otter) < King Solomon >
Washington
No comment....

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:58:43 PM
django333 (25)
< Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina

So this is greed but selling VERY common games like Crono Trigger for hundreds of dollars isn't? I mean let's be real, the price of retro games is getting waaay out of hand.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...
This is the truth!
This is my belief! 
...at least for now.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:19:54 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Soera you're not going to win the argument. Jone there put it pretty cleanly. That woman basically won the NES lottery of sorts. She bought a $8 scratcher, and rubbed off 3 money bags worth $10K or more on redemption of it. It really is that cut and dry.

Sure she could be a saint and sell it for $15 and go have a nice meal at McDonalds, but that would also be like stupid on the caliber of probably wanting to have yourself examined by a psychiatrist. I'm all for not having people keep inching the value up sitting on a good until some desperate newb gets suckered into that bigger rate that inches up the bar, but this isn't exactly the same thing here.  This isn't a common game with a disgusting price made from abusers by abusers like  Chrono Trigger for SNES or Gun-Nac on the NES.  In some cases when you have a pure true honest rarity the price ends up justified even if it sucks ass.

I know you didn't have the dough savepoint, but I think a good compelling argument would have been for consignment stating you take 15-20% normally, but would accept 12% (if she flinched, then 10%) to move it for her reminding her she being unexperienced would have to deal with bid shilling douchebags, uptight anal game collectors on the level of the sienfeld soup nazi, and ebay+pp's slimy nearly 20% cut which would save her a heap of cash and retard abuse.

Edited: 04/16/2013 at 02:21 PM by Tanooki

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:24:29 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan
Savepoint could increase his store revenue significantly by having that on display. His traffic and sales will increase while it sits in the sotre as its basically a museum quality copy of the grail.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:25:55 PM
SavePointVG (351)
(Wilder Hamm) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: videogamedomain

Savepoint could increase his store revenue significantly by having that on display. His traffic and sales will increase while it sits in the sotre as its basically a museum quality copy of the grail.

ill try my damnest to get it!

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:28:38 PM
Munkifist (95)
(Jarrod Thompson) < Meka Chicken >
California
You better... or else. LOL

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:37:07 PM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
I sleep for a few hours only to wake up and see THIS?!

Keeps hopes alive.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:38:14 PM
ExplodedHamster (183)
(Joe Dirt) < King Solomon >
United States
Let's all put in $50 and own it as a community. There would be yearly touch-sessions, where people could line up for a day and touch the game for a period of up to 18 seconds. I will hold it the rest of the year to keep safe.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:40:09 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Originally posted by: Tanooki

I know you didn't have the dough savepoint, but I think a good compelling argument would have been for consignment stating you take 15-20% normally, but would accept 12% (if she flinched, then 10%) to move it for her reminding her she being unexperienced would have to deal with bid shilling douchebags, uptight anal game collectors on the level of the sienfeld soup nazi, and ebay+pp's slimy nearly 20% cut which would save her a heap of cash and retard abuse.
Not a bad point...

If you can't come up with the cash to purchase it outright, reduce your comission to make to make your cut comparable to eBay's.  A Mint copy like this would get picked up by all gaming sites and possibly even some mainstream stuff (Yahoo).  The publicity to your store would be huge, a fringe benefit on top of any financial gain.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:42:33 PM
YellowGameboyColor (40)
(Paulo G) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
OH MY FUCKING GOD. Wilder, you beast. So lucky you at least got to see it in person, and dammit, if only I had went to Charlotte for the weekend...