Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

DW3 cart lost save. AVS? Batt? Idiocy? Cart lost save, wondering which direction to troubleshoot.

Jul 22 at 8:18:39 AM
tjsnhgaming (0)
< Cherub >
Hi All,

So I had my first experience with an NES cart losing a save, and I figured I'd throw this out to the community for some feedback before I waste too much time working the problem.
US/NTSC Dragon Warrior 3 cart, RetroUSB AVS system, replaced the battery with one from Console5.

I've replaced the battery in 9 of my other NES carts with no problem (I ordered a batch of 10 from console5) and I've verified polarity and all that. The cart held its save for a couple of days, then when I powered up last night it was gone. Bummer. I made a new game, and checked this morning and it was still there, so I'm reasonably confident the battery isn't dead or defective.

So I'm wondering a couple of things. If my soldering job was crappy, I'd think it just wouldn't hold a save at-all. Has anyone else had experiences with replacement batteries being flakey, rather than works-or-dead?
Does the "hold reset while turning the power off" thing actually matter with the RetroUSB AVS console? I only got it a couple of weeks ago, and I'll admit I had just been hitting the power button (without holding reset), but my other save-game carts haven't had any problems.

Any other thoughts?

Jul 22 at 8:39:03 AM
CaLan87 (5)
(Cody ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Ive heard of those systems sending a power surge to carts and burning the boards/rom up before. I wouldn't be surprised if it sent a small surge and erased all the data.

-------------------------
*** Check out my WTB thread!! ***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...