Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

investigating a prototype, looking for tips About Project Alpha

Feb 03 at 7:10:13 PM
Kuriatsu (1)

< Little Mac >
Hey, I'm investigating a prototype that is currently known as "project alpha".
Its the prototype that was on Hard4Games about a month ago and was compared to apostle in my previous thread. I currently own the cartridge for that game and I'm investigating the aspect of what it is. I've dumped or asked for help with dumping, all of the unique resources in the game, such as maps, battle maps, battle sprites, overworld sprites, and script. I have no plans to dump it to the internet at this time due to potentially complex legal situations with Atlus, same reason as for apostle(which turned out to be an incredibly early prototype of both devil children book of fire and book of ice,  that served as a third game, such as pokemon grey being split to pokemon black 2 and white 2, but having independant stories and locations)

I've already checked google in japanese and english via google translate, for cancelled games from atlus on the GBA, unreleased games, unpublished games, and honing in on entries from back between 2001 to 2005. I've also checked unseen64 and their 1043 videos and 20 pages of GBA articles, TCRF, hidden palace, and emailed MITJapan(the devs of the game) last night, with a human translated email, and I donno if they'll get back to me as that email may no longer be checked, but I didn't get a bounceback.
I also looked into similar games in appearance, but that led nowhere as well due to the massive game differences in content and dates.(ex: golden sun looks similar, but was released in 2001 and 2002-2003 for GS 1 and 2)
Enclosed as attachments are the a pic of the cartridge, the title screen, as well as a screenshot that is not in that video from hard4games.

Its definitely using the devil children flame engine(whatever thats called). its definitely using devil children flames debug, its definitely not a shin megami tensei game, as there are zero demon 32x32 sprites(and unlike flame/ice, its also has no 32x32s after the 499 either, theres just....nothing), or primary portraits(all 499 were removed) but there are some event ones left of about...2, maybe 3 or 4 depending on definition. Atlus never got back to me about apostle, I highly doubt they'd talk to me about project alpha. Project alpha may be its actual title, as there are some greek characters in the games script as well. There are also mentions, according to google translate, of riot guns, and submarines. The name of the game is also apparently NOT in its script, as most games don't refer to its name beyond one or two mentions, such as internal designation, and credits if applicable.

​Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can investigate this game?

Edited: 02/03/2019 at 07:12 PM by Kuriatsu

Feb 03 at 8:50:19 PM
CD2193 (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Texas
If there isn't much/anything online, probably the best bet would be trying to find issues of Japanese gaming magazines from around the time the game was being developed. Issues of Famitsu would be a place to start. Depending on how far along it is (or isn't), it is certainly possible that it never made it to the point where it was promoted in gaming magazines/websites.

Feb 03 at 9:02:07 PM
Kuriatsu (1)

< Little Mac >
I donno if it is far enough along to be in a gaming magazine. Its about 41 maps, 6 character portraits, and no spells of its own.  
its seeming like if I don't get a response from MITJapan, noone may ever find out what it is.  
I will see if I can find a resource of famitsu magazines around that time and see if I can find anything there. Thanks.

Feb 04 at 9:08:40 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Oh the homepage is a website dedicated to protos and the owner/curator is on here. I'd reach out to them, they seem to have the research part down.

-------------------------

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Feb 05 at 5:14:45 PM
Kuriatsu (1)

< Little Mac >
Thank you for the suggestion!  
Question though: did you mean "the videogame project.com"? Just to make sure we're on the same page.

Feb 06 at 9:56:45 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Originally posted by: Kuriatsu

Thank you for the suggestion!  
Question though: did you mean "the videogame project.com"? Just to make sure we're on the same page.

Yeah, he's a member on here.

Link: http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

-------------------------

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Edited: 02/06/2019 at 09:57 AM by Ferris Bueller