Reluctance to play ports

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:09:37 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: dahlmahl

Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Originally posted by: retroupgrade

With Dragon Warrior, I think I'm going to skip the NES version and play the Game Boy Color since everybody says the leveling-up and character balancing is better. I also like being able to bring my RPGs with me when I leave the house.
Thats a funny example.  I love DW1 on NES, and found the text/graphics differences in the GBC version to be very annoying.  Someone who hasn't played the NES version probably sees the GBC as better while I see it as worse.  Being able to bring it with me is one major reason for the AVS portable   

Having owned both, I'm throwing my lot with the NES version. It is the way to play it.

The GB port is for wussies who can't grind. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:12:49 PM
dahlmahl (0)
< Crack Trooper >
United States
Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

With Dragon Warrior, I think I'm going to skip the NES version and play the Game Boy Color since everybody says the leveling-up and character balancing is better. I also like being able to bring my RPGs with me when I leave the house.
Thats a funny example.  I love DW1 on NES, and found the text/graphics differences in the GBC version to be very annoying.  Someone who hasn't played the NES version probably sees the GBC as better while I see it as worse.  Being able to bring it with me is one major reason for the AVS portable   

Having owned both, I'm throwing my lot with the NES version. It is the way to play it.

Indeed, and the NES versions are the ones I started with. Will always love those NES versions.

-------------------------
Not The Rug Man!

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:15:21 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: pegboy

If you don't play ports, and you seem to be biased aginst emulators, you lose like a quarter to half the nes library. A good deal of them are arcade ports, or ports from other systems.
I was going to say this as well.  Most of the games people talk about on here (especially for NES) are all dummied down ports of arcade games.  The only way to play most of this stuff without investing insane amounts of money is on an emulator.  If you aren't playing using emulators you are playing the worst versions of most of those games.  There's just a lot of ignorance out there about this stuff, people act like the NES and SNES are the be all end all of classic gaming.

"Nintendo hard" for me generally makes me think of watered down games where you don't have to pay to continue.  In the arcade, you have incentive to not die, and to restart vs continue, since you get more play time for your money. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:17:33 PM
dahlmahl (0)
< Crack Trooper >
United States

If you don't play ports, and you seem to be biased aginst emulators, you lose like a quarter to half the nes library. A good deal of them are arcade ports, or ports from other systems.
I was going to say this as well.  Most of the games people talk about on here (especially for NES) are all dummied down ports of arcade games.  The only way to play most of this stuff without investing insane amounts of money is on an emulator.  If you aren't playing using emulators you are playing the worst versions of most of those games.  There's just a lot of ignorance out there about this stuff, people act like the NES and SNES are the be all end all of classic gaming.

"Nintendo hard" for me generally makes me think of watered down games where you don't have to pay to continue.  In the arcade, you have incentive to not die, and to restart vs continue, since you get more play time for your money. 

Something I've always liked to do is, limit my credits/continues to whatever real life coins I have. Just for the hell of it.

Not The Rug Man!

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:30:39 PM
OutbackPanda (217)
(Bulldog ) < Lolo Lord >
United States
I usually care more about the original controller rather than anything else. There are definitely exceptions...as much as I love emulating some times, I strongly prefer original hardware with original cartridges. I reserve my everdrives for casually trying new games before buying the cartridges.

I love Mario 3 in all forms, but, really prefer the Mario All Stars version for some reason.

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:23:51 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington

Pertty much.  The number of hard nintendo games is laughable (especially the ports) compared to the arcades.

Take the arcade version of Gradius III compared to the SNES version, it's like Mickey in Letterland or a fischer price game in comparison.

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:14:26 PM
retroupgrade (3)
< Meka Chicken >

Indeed, and the NES versions are the ones I started with. Will always love those NES versions.

You guys have convinced me to start with the NES version. I recently got a Famicom and was trying to figure out the next title to play on it.  

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:16:33 PM
dahlmahl (0)
< Crack Trooper >
United States

You guys have convinced me to start with the NES version. I recently got a Famicom and was trying to figure out the next title to play on it.  

GBC ones were too final fantasy-ish for my liking.

Not The Rug Man!

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:18:29 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California

it's like Mickey in Letterland 
Hey those jumping mechanics are tricky!   

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:24:20 PM
Ninty64X (1)
< El Ripper >
Illinois
I'm mixed on ports. They're good when you just want to play a game, but the collector side of me doesn't feel satisfied until I have the original copy.

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:35:11 AM
LAMRN15 (3)
< Meka Chicken >
Arkansas
I generally play the best or most convenient version of each game. Sometimes, I'll go back and play the originals. I did that with Final Fantasy V and VI recently. I've considered playing the SNES version of Chrono Trigger, since I originally played it on DS.

If it's a game or series I really like, I'll go all out and get the different versions.

My collection: https://spreadsheets.google.com/s...

I'm a PC/console/handheld gamer and retro collector!