Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

value of a non-working game? say stadium events?

Jan 26, 2007 at 12:09:18 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Just curious as to what you guys think a cart that doesn't play is worth. It won't play on any machine... let's say it got wet and blew the circuit or whatever. It's dry now and looks fine but no way is it ever going to play. Value?

Take SE. worth 800 or 900 of late working with a decent label.

Value not working with label?

Not working, no label?

-------------------------

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Jan 26, 2007 at 12:13:29 AM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
A Stadium Events cart sold about a year ago on eBay with a re-printed label. It was working perfectly, only the seller admitted in the description the label was not original, it only sold for around 400 if I reacall correctly. This is kinda the opposite of what you just asked.

I'd say around 250 for a non working SE with an original nice condition label. You could always get a reproduction copy of SE if the board isn't working.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Jan 26, 2007 at 12:24:01 AM
BootGod (16)
(Mark Lacey) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
I've never come across a cart yet that couldn't be fixed. I've had a few carts where something stupid like a bad solder joint comes loose or there is really bad corrosion, but that can all be fixed. There was one cart I got once that didn't work, Zelda I think it was, because someone thought it would be a good idea to clean the contacts with sandpaper Problem is they got a little carried away and took some the contacts completely off! Fixable, but not worth the time.

Anyways, if someone were selling an SE cheap because it didn't work, I probably would buy it, because 99% chance it could be fixed IMO.

Jan 26, 2007 at 1:08:22 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
hmm... interesting, thanks!

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Jan 26, 2007 at 10:13:45 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Now for the more important ?, why do you ask?
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:12:07 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Just intellectual curiosity. I don't have a lead on one or anything. hmmm... or do I?

Seriously though, just curious.

Jan 26, 2007 at 9:20:58 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
I think this is a very interesting question because it is definitely going to come into play in our hobby down the road - not with licensed games like SE perhaps, but with a lot of the unlicensed stuff. A lot of Color Dreams and AVE production carts do not contain mask roms, and don't forget the NWC's either. Of course, the data is reburnable, but how is that going to affect prices? Also, the unlicensed companies mentioned have screws hidden under the back labels, meaning you have to puncture the label to get at the PCB unless you're *really* good at removing and replacing labels.

Panesians, anyone???

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Jan 26, 2007 at 9:26:25 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
You can easily remove the PCB's from unlicensed games without removing or pucturing the sticker. You just have to know what you are doing, I have removed several of mine in fact.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Jan 26, 2007 at 11:36:01 PM
BootGod (16)
Minnesota
Yep there is nothing to it at all, especially not to get them out. Getting them back can be somewhat tricky, but i've done it 50+ times so I pretty much have the hang of it

Anyways, all you need to do is remove the bottom 2 screws, and then pry the case apart a little and play with the pcb edge to pop it out of place and out it falls.

Jan 27, 2007 at 1:45:10 AM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
Interesting, where there's a will there's a way, I guess. But why have you done that to so many carts? And do you think Panesian's would be do-able the same way?

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Jan 27, 2007 at 2:17:15 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Doesn't that stress the plastic and make lighter-colored marks along where it was bent outwards? I guess I just don't have the "magic touch"

Jan 27, 2007 at 1:11:51 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Dr. Morbis

it is definitely going to come into play in our hobby down the road

I think so too. It may not be for a long time, but one day. And once these grey hunks of plastic no longer work, do they have any value? Will people still collect them once they are basically plastic trading cards?

Edited: 01/27/2007 at 01:12 PM by Bronty

Jan 27, 2007 at 2:30:27 PM
BootGod (16)
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Dr. Morbis

Interesting, where there's a will there's a way, I guess. But why have you done that to so many carts? And do you think Panesian's would be do-able the same way?

I've been dumping all carts and I need to see what is inside of them. See here
I've never seen a Panesian cart before, so I'm not sure if they are sealed differently. The only carts that will not open this way, that I have seen, is Action 52 (and I assume CMII)

Originally posted by: dangevin

Doesn't that stress the plastic and make lighter-colored marks along where it was bent outwards? I guess I just don't have the "magic touch"

Nope, the Nintendo-made gray carts likely would, but luckily it's not an issue there. Most unlicensed carts are made from a softer plastic, probably ABS, and are more flexible.