Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Ninja Gaiden" beginners speed run tutorial

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:40:43 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Maybe you've all seen this before. I don't know. If not, you'll learn a lot from watching this.

Look at his technique for quick slashing. He even has a special technique for mashing the start button in order to skip cutscenes. Is it worth developing a serious case of carpal tunnel to get the best times in "Ninja Gaiden"? Maybe.

-------------------------
Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:45:07 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Neat! I've been watching a lot of speed runs lately. I'm thinking about getting into it, leaning towards Mario 64 100%

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Feb 18, 2016 at 3:24:24 PM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
This is awesome! Thank you for posting this, dude. This helps me immensely on my own Ninja Gaiden game.

Feb 18, 2016 at 3:29:21 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I will check it out when I get home I still have not beaten the game but haven't really tried either.....Never had any issues getting to the 6th stage and don't think it goes much further than that.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:58:50 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Sinister1 is awesome. I know he has a tutorial on all of MTPO as well

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:28:53 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: mbd39

Maybe you've all seen this before. I don't know. If not, you'll learn a lot from watching this.

Is it worth developing a serious case of carpal tunnel to get the best times in "Ninja Gaiden"? Maybe.  

No. No it is not. I have an appreciation for guys who can spend insane amounts of time playing these games because few people can afford to put that much time into it plus it's a labor of love as you aren't going to get rich doing it.

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:21:23 PM
DarTHBalLs305 (4)
(Sean M) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
Found this about a year ago when I was just trying to beat the game and it helped me out quite a bit, especially learning to do the slash cancelling. Sinister1 is awesome, hope he finds time to do more of these kinds of videos. Love watchin him and everyone speedrun games at AGDQ/SGDQ. Definitely respect the time and skill it takes to do that kinda stuff

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:48:13 PM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas

Feb 18, 2016 at 7:07:39 PM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
As others have said, Sinister is rad. I always look forward to his runs at various GDQ events and whatnot. He's a dynamo, for sure. I'll definitely give this a watch before I play through NG again.

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:41:58 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Shameless NA member plug:

I have to say though that dra600n is a pretty phenomenal Ninja Gaiden player.

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:47:13 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I'll have to check this out. My best attempt was just over 14 minutes, which is still about two minutes higher than some of the AGDQ videos that I've seen.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Edited: 02/18/2016 at 08:51 PM by bearcat-doug

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:51:18 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I like to look up speed runs to find out people's strategies for beating a game or part of it in the first place. Times where I just have no clue what to do, I can look up a speed run and see how someone makes it easy. Then I try to do the same.

Never really considered speed running though. I don't like chasing perfection, and that's what you have to have to get records. Too competitive for me.

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:18:07 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I really like Sinister1. Love watching his blindfolded MTPO runs on AGDQ. It's cool that he's taken the time to create this tutorial. He explains things very well.

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:24:34 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

I'll have to check this out. My best attempt was just over 14 minutes, which is still about two minutes higher than some of the AGDQ videos that I've seen.
14 minutes is awesome. You're getting close to the world record times.

I'm no speed runner. I suck at doing the quick slash. I'm happy beating it in under half an hour and not getting a game over. Now I'm trying to 1cc it sword-only with no ninpo/powerups and no health refills.

Today I tried doing "Ninja Gaiden III" regular sword-only and no ninpo. Now that is rough. I made it to the third boss before giving up. Sword-only "Ninja Gaiden II" would also be quite hard.

Edited: 02/18/2016 at 09:24 PM by mbd39

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:37:33 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

14 minutes is awesome. You're getting close to the world record times.

I'm no speed runner. I suck at doing the quick slash. I'm happy beating it in under half an hour and not getting a game over. Now I'm trying to 1cc it sword-only with no ninpo/powerups and no health refills.

Today I tried doing "Ninja Gaiden III" regular sword-only and no ninpo. Now that is rough. I made it to the third boss before giving up. Sword-only "Ninja Gaiden II" would also be quite hard.

I don't so much try to speedrun games as I just have a habit of playing fast. I could probably get into it if I really looked into all of the time saving tricks and glitches, but that takes some serious dedication.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:35:14 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Okay, I just beat "Ninja Gaiden" sword-only under half an hour and only lost three lives.

The trickiest parts sword-only: There's a sniper in 5-3 you'd normally easily take out with a throwing star. He's right before the part with the bat and the cat. With the sword you have to jump right next to him and kill him immediately. It takes perfect positioning and timing. The 6-2 jetpack ninjas can be annoying with just the sword and almost require a bit of luck. Nothing else is that bad... but it's "Ninja Gaiden" and it's easy to slip up and stupidly miss a jump and lose a life.

EDIT: I worked out easier methods for both of those parts so they're no longer that difficult.

Edited: 02/19/2016 at 02:33 AM by mbd39

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:48:02 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: ookii_risu

I really like Sinister1. Love watching his blindfolded MTPO runs on AGDQ. It's cool that he's taken the time to create this tutorial. He explains things very well.

Yeah. Him and duckfist might be the greatest  "Ninja Gaiden" and NG2 players in the world. Or at least they're up there. And sinister is one of the greatest MTPO players.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:08:13 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Yeah. Him and duckfist might be the greatest  "Ninja Gaiden" and NG2 players in the world. Or at least they're up there. And sinister is one of the greatest MTPO players.

As far as these guys,I look at it this way....for every one of these guys we've heard of,there's five that we haven't that are just as good if not better....they just don't care to beat their chests and say look at me,watch my videos.

Not hating on these guys,but there are so many skillful players out there that we don't know about because they don't care about trying to wow people.....guys like bearcat-doug and dra600n. Those guys I know could easily stand toe to toe with anyone,they just don't make a big deal about it.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:21:39 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: gutsman004

As far as these guys,I look at it this way....for every one of these guys we've heard of,there's five that we haven't that are just as good if not better....they just don't care to beat their chests and say look at me,watch my videos.

Not hating on these guys,but there are so many skillful players out there that we don't know about because they don't care about trying to wow people.....guys like bearcat-doug and dra600n. Those guys I know could easily stand toe to toe with anyone,they just don't make a big deal about it.

You do have to know "Ninja Gaiden" inside and out to beat it pacifist in under 20 minutes as sinister has done. But you make a good point about how there are plenty of great players who nobody knows about because they aren't at AGDQ and speedrunning on Youtube.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:23:45 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Is it worth developing a serious case of carpal tunnel to get the best times in "Ninja Gaiden"? Maybe.  

No. No it is not. I have an appreciation for guys who can spend insane amounts of time playing these games because few people can afford to put that much time into it plus it's a labor of love as you aren't going to get rich doing it.

You're better off being a decent/mediocre gamer who can be entertaining and funny in Youtube videos if you want to make money at it, e.g. Game Grumps.

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:01:58 AM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I didn't know who Sinister1 was until I started watching AGDQ. If playing MTPO blindfolded gets people to donate to a good cause like cancer research (which it does), I'm all for him beating his chest I can also appreciate the sheer amount of time and effort that went into mastering that run. I could never put that much effort into it, and that's why I enjoy watching AGDQ. He's also really good at explaining tricks, which can't be said of everyone on there.

Originally posted by: mbd39

You're better off being a decent/mediocre gamer who can be entertaining and funny in Youtube videos if you want to make money at it, e.g. Game Grumps.

Yeah, exactly. Anyone can learn how to play a game, but not many have the talent to be entertaining.

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:45:13 AM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

This...there is a dude at work that runs a Twitch account but is a completely turd but wants to make it in the Twitch community (Him and 500,000 other people) and will never go anywhere because of his personality.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:01:13 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Lol. Yeah,for every Game Grumps there like 10,000 wanna be Game Grumps. And not only that,but youtube viewers can be so fickle. Some people I've watched and thought,wow this person is awesome why do they only have 5,000 subscribers and watched others with millions of subscribers and thought....how the F can anyone watch this person,they are horrible!

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:45:22 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

because few people can afford to put that much time into it

Ehhhhh... The average gamer might spend 30+ or even 60+ hours on a new PC or XBone game. Spend that much time practicizing a NES game and you'll get pretty good at it.

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:53:22 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

because few people can afford to put that much time into it

Ehhhhh... The average gamer might spend 30+ or even 60+ hours on a new PC or XBone game. Spend that much time practicizing a NES game and you'll get pretty good at it.

Oh absolutely,but a lot of people can't or won't do it.  And all I was trying to say earlier is I appreciate the heralded guys as well as the unheralded guys.