Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Do I really need to play every other Zelda game?

Jun 17 at 12:36:16 PM
ZeldaFan042 (22)
< Meka Chicken >
North Dakota
Originally posted by: Jono1874

Originally posted by: ZeldaFan042

Originally posted by: LutherDestroysTheGond

Except the 2 DS games. Those are garbage

You had me until this. I enjoyed the DS games and I don't understand why they get as much hate as they do.  

I only played Phantom Hourglass, but let me try to explain *Wonky controls that feel imprecise. *worst soundtrack in the series by far. The music you'll hear the most are ten second loops with no attempt to sound interesting *that dungeon you keep having to enter repeatedly. Not to mention the stealth stuff within it. I did finish the game, and I enjoyed it well enough, but it is by far the worst game in the series. A bad zelda game is still a pretty decent game though. OP. If you're gonna play anything else in the series, make it Breath of the Wild or Link to the Past. Avoid Skyward Sword at all costs.

I don't think the controls were that bad at all, and I liked the music. The big central dungeon was a bit of a drag though, and I can see why people really disliked that. I think it is probably near the bottom of the list, but I don't agree that it is by far the worst. Also, I really agree with the bolded statement. 

-------------------------
WTB  <--- Please sell me a GameCube prototype controller!!!
Originally posted by: Stryphos
Originally posted by: Foochie776

What's an Apple Pippin?
Remember in the Fellowship of the Ring when Aragorn threw that piece of fruit and hit him in the head after asking for second breakfast?  Yeah, that's an apple.

Jun 17 at 12:37:15 PM
ZeldaFan042 (22)
< Meka Chicken >
North Dakota
Originally posted by: OptOut

It's a shame Phantom Hourglass seems to have put so many people off of playing Spirit Tracks, it would seem that a lot of people didn't like Phantom Hourglass, so they never even bothered with the second game. That's a shame because IMO Spirit Tracks is head and shoulders better than PH, it basically makes the prior game feel like a tech demo by comparison.

Some very small changes, like equipping items to a shoulder button, populating towns and other destinations with more to do, more visual variety, plus better weapons and dungeons (and no repeating bullshit), and I think a better story and more side quests...

If you have only played the first one, and liked or thought it was OK, give Spirit Tracks a shot. If you absolutely HATED Phantom Hourglass, then probably this also won't work for you, but it might!

Plus the trains are FUN! There, I said it... I love the TRAINS! Leave me alone, I like them, lol!  

You're not alone, buddy

WTB  <--- Please sell me a GameCube prototype controller!!!
Originally posted by: Stryphos
Originally posted by: Foochie776

What's an Apple Pippin?
Remember in the Fellowship of the Ring when Aragorn threw that piece of fruit and hit him in the head after asking for second breakfast?  Yeah, that's an apple.

Jun 17 at 12:42:35 PM
Wheelcakes (14)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Gloves

Originally posted by: KREATIVEasI should probably stay out of this but I agree with OP to an extent. A lot of Zelda games reuse the same items, locations, and music and if you're not a fan of the series I can completely understand why someone would think it's a rehash. I've been very down on Zelda games for years now, so I get where he's coming from. I think it's weird that everyone is jumping him for feeling like the Zelda formula seems repetitive when it is.

OP claims to have only played the one Zelda game, AND that they LOVED it. 

That dosnt take away that they still look like a rehash. Its the same with the new super mario bros series how they all look like the same game.

KDDK Player  

Jun 17 at 12:55:44 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Wheelcakes

Originally posted by: KREATIVEasI should probably stay out of this but I agree with OP to an extent. A lot of Zelda games reuse the same items, locations, and music and if you're not a fan of the series I can completely understand why someone would think it's a rehash. I've been very down on Zelda games for years now, so I get where he's coming from. I think it's weird that everyone is jumping him for feeling like the Zelda formula seems repetitive when it is.

OP claims to have only played the one Zelda game, AND that they LOVED it. 

That dosnt take away that they still look like a rehash. Its the same with the new super mario bros series how they all look like the same game.

They also claim that platformers like Mario are an exception.

Jun 17 at 3:12:58 PM
CaLan87 (5)
(Cody ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
I just like Zelda. So ill play them all. lol. Same with Pokémon.

*** Check out my WTB thread!! ***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jun 17 at 3:36:39 PM
Gentlegamer (15)
< El Ripper >
Texas
Originally posted by: 14u2ponder

So, I finished Link's Awakening about 6 months ago and I LOVE this game, so naturally you'd think that you'd want play the rest. But nope. The more I look at the games i could play and the games that are out there, the formula seems extremely repetative, so why do I need to play the same game, in 20 different versions?

Link's Awakening was a masterpiece of simplicity, discovery and everything I liked about Zelda. I feel similarly about Star Wars (the new movies). I like most people saw The Force Awakens and loved it for the nostalgia, but every other Star Wars Movie after the orginal 3, just seems labarious and stupid to me.

What's the point of re-hashing the same old formula over and over again. So it's link's awakening for me and I'm out.

You need to play Zelda II and Wind Waker and you're done.

Jun 17 at 4:34:33 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Originally posted by: Gentlegamer

Originally posted by: 14u2ponder

So, I finished Link's Awakening about 6 months ago and I LOVE this game, so naturally you'd think that you'd want play the rest. But nope. The more I look at the games i could play and the games that are out there, the formula seems extremely repetative, so why do I need to play the same game, in 20 different versions?

Link's Awakening was a masterpiece of simplicity, discovery and everything I liked about Zelda. I feel similarly about Star Wars (the new movies). I like most people saw The Force Awakens and loved it for the nostalgia, but every other Star Wars Movie after the orginal 3, just seems labarious and stupid to me.

What's the point of re-hashing the same old formula over and over again. So it's link's awakening for me and I'm out.

You need to play Zelda II and Wind Waker and you're done.

Your avatar is amazing. 

Jun 17 at 4:48:53 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
I had a roommate in college who took it upon himself to play every FF game. I thought that was neat, so I started my own quest to play every Zelda game. I haven't had a full Four Swords experience, but I've played the rest. I think they're worth playing. Phantom Hourglass might be the worst, yes, but Spirit Tracks is not the second-worst. For whatever reason I loved ST.

I never got into Resident Evil. I tried it on something, I think GameCube. I just didn't have fun with it and won't prioritize another attempt. Even if someone told me "no no, the others are way different!" I probably wouldn't try them, since they're still RE games, how different could they be? So I can understand what OP is saying, except that he loved LA and doesn't want to touch anything like it.

???

Jun 17 at 9:45:50 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Archangel3090

I hate minish cap

Jun 17 at 11:26:15 PM
Archangel3090 (37)
< El Ripper >
Manitoba
Originally posted by: JamesRobot

Originally posted by: Archangel3090

I hate minish cap

hahahaha

Jun 17 at 11:27:08 PM
KokiriChild (29)
(Mitch the Silent Kokiri) < Meka Chicken >
Florida

Originally posted by: KokiriChild

Try Majora's Mask, it really changes up the gameplay with the three day mechanic. Or BotW as others have mentioned. If you liked the style of LA, I also insist you try A Link Between Worlds, its one of the Top 5 Zeldas, IMO.

He claims BotW is "the same Zelda formula". You're being trolled.

Nintendo 64 Collection (NTSC): 145/296

Jun 17 at 11:46:52 PM
LutherDestroysTheGond (85)
(Grumble Grumble) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Originally posted by: ZeldaFan042

Except the 2 DS games. Those are garbage

You had me until this. I enjoyed the DS games and I don't understand why they get as much hate as they do.  

The controls and stylus uses are neat concepts at first but they end up being a gimmick once the novelty wears off. There is no challenging combat and no interesting boss fights. Damn near ever puzzle in the 2 games has a sign or NPC telling you exactly what to do right next to the puzzle so it's never challenging or makes you think. I mean good lord, the handholding was awful.

Most dialogue is drawn out in an attempt to be "funny", but it usually falls flat. The sailing in PH is fun but get boring after a while, and on-track portions of ST are way too drawn out and tedious and just not fun in any way. Little-to-no exploration in both games with minimal rewards. The story is bleh in both games. The best part about ST was the mechanic of having Zelda has a sidekick but the aforementioned lack of challenging puzzles offsets that mechanic. By the end of both games they just felt like a chore and I was making myself beat it just to say I finished them.

I forgot to mention my hatred of the controls in Skyward Sword. I didnt even get to the first dungeon because the dialogue and cut scenes and handholding and awkward controls were just infuriating. So glad they made it less linear with LBW and BotW.

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Jun 18 at 3:45:54 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta

Zelda 2 is my favorite game of all time and different from the others

Zelda 1 and BotW are the only 2 that are open-wprld. The rest are fairly linear.

The 4 swords games are fun but the hardware to set them up are too much of a barrier of entry for most.

Other than that the main difference is if you prefer 3D vs top-down and each game has it's own unique mechanic to make it different enough to enjoy. Except the 2 DS games. Those are garbage

Yeah but who destroys the Gond?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Jun 18 at 3:59:48 AM
Suck my dick (61)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Lolo Lord >
Nevada
You only need to play Ocarina Of Time, everything else is boring....

come at me 

Edited: 06/18/2019 at 04:06 AM by Suck my dick

Jun 18 at 4:22:08 AM
VGS_OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
14u2ponder is just laughing it up, watching all of us swirling around and turning on each other about our preferred Zelda games, lol!

Touche, mister ponder, touche.

www.videogamesage.com...