Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Atari Love Thread Gush about our forgotten brethren here

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:22:06 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
Man, I really need to mark my 7800 because it's a switch that doesn't indicate A or B. I have to look it up online anytime it's relevant.

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:38:54 PM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Loxx O)))

Man, I really need to mark my 7800 because it's a switch that doesn't indicate A or B. I have to look it up online anytime it's relevant.

easy way to remember: We read left to right... We start as (b)eginners before becoming (a)dvanced

-------------------------
Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:49:12 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
Washington
But I think the 7800 is backwards from the 2600, right? Or is that correct for 7800 and 2600 is the other way? See, always confused, ha.

Sep 20, 2018 at 2:20:01 PM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
the mnemonic I gave you is for the 7800 (B to the left)...
on the 2600 its not so critical to remember, because the switches are labeled.

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Sep 20, 2018 at 4:26:39 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
Washington
Yeah. And that's how I used to tell because I'd just do the opposite of the 2600 but they're not by each other anymore. And then I know B is actually for the easier setting so that's where I get the confusion. Because then I start to think B is on the left on the 2600 and I know they're reversed. Blah, blah. I always psyche myself out of knowing.

Feb 18 at 11:01:36 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

(Jeremiah Thomas) < Crack Trooper >
Texas
Finished off another three sets. First, the small Sears Tele-Games exclusives. Still need some manuals and the picture label Stellar Track. Fun little set as Steeplechase is a good four player game and Stellar Track is an excellent game in the vein of the old Star Trek mainframe game (or so I have read as I have never played it).

Second is the large Activision set. Forty-four games (largest third party publisher) with plenty of manuals, a few of the blue label rereleases, and all the extras for Space Shuttle. Still need the Bridge label variation and the other manuals and blue label cartridges. Not much to say here. My favorite game, Pitfall!, and a bunch of other great games like Stampede, Pitfall II: Lost Caverns, and Double Dragon (yes I really do like this version). Although I think Kaboom, Beamrider, H.E.R.O., and River Raid are all a little overrated.

Last is the small Data Age set with only Frankenstein's Monster being hard to track down and some would say it is also the only good game of the bunch. I would disagree as I enjoy Journey Escape, but not a great publisher.

Feb 18 at 11:24:20 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Does anyone know why this game I picked up today has a French title?

Feb 18 at 11:45:19 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: bootload

Does anyone know why this game I picked up today has a French title?

I"m going to go out on a limb here and say because it's a PAL/French version?

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Apr 10 at 7:04:56 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

(Jeremiah Thomas) < Crack Trooper >
Texas
Finished off a very difficult set: Coleco. The Kid Vid Voice Module, the cable and instructions for it, and the cartridge, instructions, and cassettes for Smurfs Save the Day are hard to find. Nothing compared to Berenstain Bears though. Finding the cartridge, manual, and cassettes for that thing are damn near impossible. And Berenstain Bears is nothing compared to finding the little ear plug that came with the Kid Vid as that thing only appears with a complete boxed copy. Mine actually did not come out of the Kid Vid, but from a Realistic tape player. Fortunately I think they are the same off the shelf part.

As far as the quality of the games I think Coleco games are pretty fun. I know some people accused Coleco of purposefully making bad games to make their games on Colecovision look better, but I do not think that is true. Donkey Kong definitely does not look good, but I have always thought it was a fun game. Both Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle and Smurfs Save the Day are fun for being games made for young kids. Mouse Trap, Roc 'N Rope, Carnival, Mr. Do!, Venture, and Time Pilot offer some fun. Zaxxon and Donkey Kong Junior may not be great arcade conversions, but they are playable. Berenstain Bears is okay for a kids' game, but all three cassettes are too similar. Front Line does not have very good controls though and I would say is the weakest game of the line up.

Got some more complete and near complete (never going to finish because of one ridiculously priced game) sets to show off in the future.

Edited: 04/10/2019 at 07:07 PM by JeremiahJT