Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Anyone want to dump 3 SNES protos? Need an established member to try these out.

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:17:13 AM
ianoid (16)
(Ian Baronofsky) < Little Mac >
Texas
I got three prototype SNES boards, Taz, Blackthorne, and Football Fury, that don't work. I tried them on both a mini and regular SNES system. I don't have the technical chops or equipment to dump them and see if the data is sound on any or all of them.

Does anyone (with an established track record on NA) want to try to dump these? I will be at CGE if anyone is bring equipment there. Otherwise, I can mail them to you, but you have to mail them back to me. I don't mind if you dump, compare and distribute the contents. 

-------------------------

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:22:22 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
If they're socketed I would be more than willing to give them a go. If they're not, you'll likely want to go with a more tech-savvy member.

I know of few people here also have the Retrode (including Ian) that might have more luck if the chips are soldered.

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:23:12 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
If you don't find anyone before then, I can bring Retrode to CGE.

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:26:29 AM
MasonSushi (83)
(Mason 8-Bit_Nes) < King Solomon >
South Carolina
There is a whole group of members here will will help you with this. They believe in preserving as many roms (proto and released) as possible and will do it for free.

Come visit my youtube channel

MasonSushi YouTube Channel

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:50:51 AM
ianoid (16)
(Ian Baronofsky) < Little Mac >
Texas
I'd love to do it at CGE with the Retrode. I have a partial table in a booth with the NWCGE guys, and I have a big banner that says 'Ianoid' (well, not that big) so you can't miss me. Anyone care to commit, or else I can do the mailing thing.

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:48:34 PM
DreamTR (163)
(Jason Wilson) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Ian, you know I have a Retrode also, right?

www.gamegalaxyarcade.com...

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:31:55 PM
Scucci (5)
(Johnson N Johnson) < Crack Trooper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: DreamTR

And if for any reason that doesn't work, I can pull the chips off the board (if they're not socketed) and dump them for you. I work with DreamTR at the arcade... kinda the tech guy, unless you see a broken machine... ... then the other guy did that.

Got an "oldschool" Needham's EMP-20 programmer here that can handle pretty much anything you throw at it.

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:15:48 PM
i2a2n2 (39)
(Ian B.) < Kraid Killer >
Ontario
Originally posted by: DreamTR

yes I do know that...

if they aren't working on actual hardware I'd bet dollars to dimes that the retrode might have an issue dumping them...
I have a couple snes proto's that are like that. if the chips are in sockets and you can remove them your best bet would be to dump the chips using a eprom programer

if you wanted I could also take a look for you as I also have a retrode

My NWC High Score 661 950  Jan 19th 2010

---------Wanted: SNES PROTOTYPES !!! PM Me-----------

Jun 1, 2010 at 11:45:49 PM
snescentral (0)
(Evan Gowan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Japan
Are these PAL protos? What is the label on the lockout chip (D413x would indicate PAL, while D411x would indicate NTSC). If they are PAL, then there is a good reason why it wouldn't work on your console. If they are NTSC and don't work on your system, a regular dumping unit like a Retrode would probably not work. You would have to remove the chips and dump them with a EPROM reader.