Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

First game you're going to play on the AVS Poppin that AVS cherry

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:41:59 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Odin Belmont

Originally posted by: avlon

I did another uncut, test video, and sadly, the results are the same. Works perfect on OG hardware, and the SRT, but a no go on the AVS... and it deletes my saves for some reason as well.

No reason to post video.  The console just came out. Of course it's going to have issues.

Retrousb will fix compatibility issue with FW updates. 
Disagree. I think the video posting was a good idea. People should know about this stuff, including the developers (Brian).

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:33:53 AM
Pheidian (14)
< Meka Chicken >
Finland
THE AVS is at the post office, ready to pick up when I get from work. This is the moment I have been waiting for - it almost feels like a new childhoods best christmas!

Collecting licensed NES games: 710 of 711 - DONE! (Mah Jong Missing)

Sep 21, 2016 at 8:49:56 AM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

I did another uncut, test video, and sadly, the results are the same. Works perfect on OG hardware, and the SRT, but a no go on the AVS... and it deletes my saves for some reason as well.

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BcM..." width="500">>
You need a tripod dude. Otherwise nice demonstration. Does the AVS really delete/corrupt the save?

I definitely do, as well as a capture card eventually.  As far as the saves, yes, I tested it multiple times, and it's why I made it a point to reset and restart each console in the video to highlight the save issue.

Check out my Youtube Channel @ https://goo.gl/KuSvJc !! Thank you! 

Sep 21, 2016 at 8:52:52 AM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York

Originally posted by: Odin Belmont

No reason to post video.  The console just came out. Of course it's going to have issues.

Retrousb will fix compatibility issue with FW updates. 
Disagree. I think the video posting was a good idea. People should know about this stuff, including the developers (Brian).

Took the words right out of my mind!  Willful ignorance doesn't help anyone, whether consumer or manufacturer.

Check out my Youtube Channel @ https://goo.gl/KuSvJc !! Thank you! 

Edited: 09/21/2016 at 08:53 AM by avlon

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:28:06 AM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
My delivery day was bumped from tomorrow to today! And I have changed my mind slightly. I remembered I have two copies of TMNT2, so I will pop one in the top loader on a CRT, and one in the AVS on a high def a few feet over. Will be able to watch both attract modes for a bit. THEN play some on CRT and switch to AVS.

So exciting!!!

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:04:36 AM
Pheidian (14)
< Meka Chicken >
Finland
Just got my AVS to Finland. All seems great, except that I am experiencing some noticeable input lag, might be the TV? I have pretty oldish Samsung LCD TV model UE40D6207. In Super Mario Bros. there seems to be some pretty great lag while pressing to jump to actually jump. Upgraded the firmware to 1.10 straight outta box.

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:01:58 AM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
That's strange. I have greatly reduced lag vs. my toaster. Is the lag worse than an NES via composite on your setup?

Also, do you have post-processing turned off on your tube? Samsung should have a "Game Mode".

Retro Tech Select
Check out my YouTube Channel for old-school gaming goodness!

Edited: 09/21/2016 at 11:02 AM by StuOhQ

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:04:06 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Yeah, that's probably the TV.

My (2007 era) DLP TV shows no discernable lag. I was able to no-death Batman, Arkanoid was responsive, and the NES shooters were fine.

Edited: 09/21/2016 at 11:04 AM by Tulpa

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:05:01 AM
Pheidian (14)
< Meka Chicken >
Finland
Oh, got it fixed. It seems when I put it to HDMI1 (DVI) input on TV the lag disappears. It seems to matter what HDMI input to use in the telly. Great stuff!

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:08:28 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Oh, yeah, I've heard of some TVs having different lag for different HDMI inputs. Weird.

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:16:36 AM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
If your inputs have a PC mode you should use that. Even over Game mode.

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:04:08 PM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Originally posted by: Synapse

If your inputs have a PC mode you should use that. Even over Game mode.

That's probably why the one is labeled HDMI (DVI). Input one must be designed to support PC signals. 

Also, thought I would drop this here:

I tease the AVS at the end. AVS comparative preview incoming!

Retro Tech Select
Check out my YouTube Channel for old-school gaming goodness!

Edited: 09/21/2016 at 12:05 PM by StuOhQ

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:09:03 PM
stillplayingnes (3)
(GenesisGuy ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Got mine yesterday and played Contra! This thing is AWESOME!

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:41:12 PM
< Lolo Lord >
Florida
Got mine yesterday, and popped in a game I have longed to play...

Zelda Outlands

The game, is simply amazing! Looks and sounds great on my HDTV!

I do have one important question to other AVS users. Do you find that it's a little difficult to insert your NES cartridges, or did I end up with a defective AVS? :/

Edited: 09/24/2016 at 01:41 PM by avatar!

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:46:22 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: Br81zad

Man, good question...

Probably Kirby's Adventure, or Darkwing Duck. Might have to flip a coin  

Well, I started with Darkwing Duck, then Ducktales 2, followed by Kirby's Adventure. Played and beat all 3 on the same day and it was beautiful.  

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:01:10 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: avatar!

I do have one important question to other AVS users. Do you find that it's a little difficult to insert your NES cartridges, or did I end up with a defective AVS? :/

Plenty of people have said this. It's normal, and not nearly as bad as some of the death grip clones.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Oct 9, 2016 at 7:21:38 AM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
SMB/DH!!!

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:42:03 PM
zeldaboy (162)
(Andrew DeRouin) < King Solomon >
Florida
Started up Dragon Warrior....lol, too much nostalgia for me with this game apparently. I must have played through it over a dozen times.

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:13:39 AM
Seppatoni (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Switzerland
For me it was Super Mario Bros. 2

> Seppatoni's Zockerstübchen

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:18:25 AM
Dr Manhattan (2)
< Tourian Tourist >
California
Contra. I had to play through the whole game to put the system through it's paces.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:16:27 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
I put in "A winner is You" and kind of chilled for a bit. Then I played some "Mario Surer Bros!"  

Unboxing vid uploading right now:

Edited: 10/17/2016 at 08:18 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Oct 18, 2016 at 5:59:07 PM
Lastcallhall (39)
(Vince Valdez) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Late to the party, but as soon as I get it (still shows in production as of the 13th), I'm gonna test Mega Man 2. I know that game like the back of my hand, and can easily do a no death run on a standard NES. We'll see how much lag is present in my 4K TV (listed at 32ms).

Oct 18, 2016 at 6:58:37 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania

I put in "A winner is You" and kind of chilled for a bit. Then I played some "Mario Surer Bros!"  

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Aum..." width="500">>

Glad to see yours finally came in! Can't believe nothing was damaged by USPS's handling of the box. Great pick for first game. 

Oct 19, 2016 at 6:24:33 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: mattbep

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Aum..." width="500">>

Glad to see yours finally came in! Can't believe nothing was damaged by USPS's handling of the box. Great pick for first game. 
Yeah, I was expecting the worst when I cut the tape. The AVS box itself was immaculate. Well almost. There was a slight indent on one edge of the box but you wouldn't notice it unless someone pointed it out. Biggest issue with the USPS box being accordioned the way it was the AVS box refused to slide out. I finally had to tear apart the shipping box to get at it.  

I'm not really a CIB collector (though with disc games the case is a must - I also keep the boxes for any homebrew I buy if they come with one) so boxes or condition don't matter much to me. If something is collectible, I usually keep the box though. I'm also proud to still own the original box to my NES Action Set. That said, I'm a bit indifferent to the AVS box. In some ways, the design of the box itself makes it look like a cheap clone system.

***If anyone recieved a trashed AVS box and needs a replacement for their collection, I'd be willing to send them my empty box for the cost of postage. PM me if interested.

Edited: 10/19/2016 at 06:26 AM by Kosmic StarDust