Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Megacat Studios Creepy Brawlers doesnt work AVS

Dec 5, 2017 at 6:13:55 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Profile
Saw a post below, figure I should note, "Creepy Brawlers" homebrew does not work right on the AVS. The player sprite is all messed up. Ive tried disabling extra sprites, sound expansion etc, did not fix the issue.

Game works fine on Top Loader and Front loader real NES.

I hope they fix this, but given Ive never gotten a fix for FF7 or Pokemon Yellow in over a year now, are we just SOL that this stuff will ever get fixed for newer homebrew games? Im still not understanding how this is suppose to be a SOAC system, which makes it better than emulation for compatibility issues, but somehow Ive still run into a lot of games that just do not run on it even though they work fine on a real system.. Kind of frustrating tbh.

Dec 5, 2017 at 6:46:52 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Profile
I can see how it can be frustrating, I've seen bundles of games they're selling with Retron systems, and they're NOAC... Maybe you can contact them to let them know if they can test future projects or revisions to work on AVS.

From what I've seen on a let's play, I do know that Little Medusa from Megacat is at least compatible with the AVS.

-------------------------
Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:12:25 AM
erac (0)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Profile
We can certainly send bunnyboy a ROM, and if that doesn't show the issue, a cart. Can you take a picture?

It does sound like something on the AVS's side rather than the game's, but can't be certain.

edit: I read through the Creeping it Reel thread, and that had some issues too, but not on older AVS firmware. It uses the same mapper as Creepy.

Edited: 12/06/2017 at 05:22 AM by erac

Dec 6, 2017 at 10:35:48 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Profile
This seems to be an issue with some of the homebrews. I know Bruleski and I recently tested Cowlitz Second Adventure because he was having issues. It worked under some of the updates, but not all of them. Might be the same for here.

-------------------------

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Edited: 12/06/2017 at 10:36 AM by Ferris Bueller

Dec 6, 2017 at 10:39:44 AM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Profile
Have you reached out to Megacat Studios? They may be able to work directly with Bunny to send files/games for compatibility testing.

Dec 7, 2017 at 12:34:12 AM
Retrostage (36)
(Mike S) < Meka Chicken >
Alberta
Profile
As an update, this issue was resolved over in this thread here (I see OP posted there too) : http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Appears to just be a firmware issue on the AVS. Version 1.20b7 works perfectly fine, but the newest version doesn't work properly / at all. And I think the default that it comes with (1.10?) has graphic distortion, but I can't recall if I tested that specific one or not.

Either way, upgrade/downgrade to 1.20b7 and all is well.

-------------------------

Brand New NES, SNES, N64 and Sega Genesis boards available! Great for reproductions/homebrew! http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Buy them from my website here: http://www.retrostage.net

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:23:14 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Profile
Ok, but downgrading seems to break other things. I shouldnt have to be jumping firmware versions every time I play a game.

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:27:44 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Profile
Originally posted by: Retrostage

As an update, this issue was resolved over in this thread here (I see OP posted there too) : http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=106&t...

Appears to just be a firmware issue on the AVS. Version 1.20b7 works perfectly fine, but the newest version doesn't work properly / at all. And I think the default that it comes with (1.10?) has graphic distortion, but I can't recall if I tested that specific one or not.

Either way, upgrade/downgrade to 1.20b7 and all is well.

I guess my frustration is, where the hell is the support? Wasnt the whole point of having the SOAC etc so this thing oculd be updated and fixed? And every firmware version seems like another issue, and any email to support either gets a Non-Answer or no response at all. And yes I sent an email to Megacat, but frankly, if it works on a real NES, why should it be on the vendor/creator of the game to get it working on someone elses system? I mean we were quoted as having great compatibility when in reality, its starting to seem like its not really any better than the old hardware Retron 3 etc at this point.

Edited: 12/09/2017 at 01:28 PM by Oddzball

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:57:32 PM
RetroUSB Support (1)
(RetroUSB Support) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Profile
Originally posted by: Oddzball

 any email to support either gets a Non-Answer or no response at all.

All of your emails have been replied to. Sorry that the answers you receive are not what you are looking for. Updating the console for compatibility is not as simple as you telling us something is broken and us changing a zero to a one in the code and it magically works now. It is a process and sometimes it can take a while or a few attempts to fix.

And the AVS does have great compatibility. Thanks.

-------------------------
For help or if you have any questions please use the e-mail address found on our contact page

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:11:07 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Profile
Originally posted by: RetroUSB Support

Originally posted by: Oddzball

 any email to support either gets a Non-Answer or no response at all.

All of your emails have been replied to. Sorry that the answers you receive are not what you are looking for. Updating the console for compatibility is not as simple as you telling us something is broken and us changing a zero to a one in the code and it magically works now. It is a process and sometimes it can take a while or a few attempts to fix.

And the AVS does have great compatibility. Thanks.

Not to be a jerk, but They havent, because when I asked back in October if Pokemon Yellow or FF7 had been fixed or were going to be fixed, you responded. Frankly implying Im lying or something is a low blow.

"Hello,

No sorry, there has been no updates for Pokemon Yellow since the last one.

Thank you!"

So I responded

"Is there any way it is going to be fixed? Is there any way I can help?

V/R"

Basically offering to help if I could as many folks here have suggested. To which I never receieved a response. Hence My comment of Non-Answer or no response.  Ill paste the email chain up until last october (2016) below if you want. I get that its not as simple as changing a few zeros, but its not like this issue was unknown or a new issue, I pretty much brought this up over a year ago and never even got a response back that it had been fixed (As seen below) then i saw a 1.2 Final Firmware, and Its still not fixed, and of course this is in addition to other games I cant think of off top of my head that have issues (Some of the Megacat stuff, FF7 and some of Flashback's stuff, etc etc).

I think the worst problem is why are we having to flip back and forth between firmware versions just to play games? Thats frankly pretty poor. I shouldnt have to go to Bv6 to play FF7, then Bv7 to play Creepy Brawlers etc etc. And then 1.2 final, actually breaks previous fixes, but fixes other issues. Hell you dont even OPENLY offer the other betas on your site anymore without having to dig for them, which is why?

I mean we havent had a firmware update to fix a lot of these issues in over 10 months, so is support dropped or what? It would be nice to know because thats frankly how it is starting to feel.

No sorry, there has been no updates for Pokemon Yellow since the last one.

Thank you!
retroUSB Support

> Still no fix for Pokemon Yellow? Latest "Final" 1.20 firmware the audio is
> screwed and saving causes the game to completely crap out.
>
> V/R
>
> Owen
>
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 3:56 PM, retroUSB Support <support@retrousb.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thank you for reporting this issue. I will keep your contact info and
>> let
>> you know once we have a fix!
>>
>> Please let me know if you run into any other issues.
>>
>> Thank you!
>> retroUSB Support
>>

>> > Hey,
>> >
>> > Was told to email this address about an issue I was having with the
>> AVS
>> > that hopefully you folks could fix in the firmware updates etc.
>> >
>> > I recently got a copy of Pokemon Yellow for the NES, translated, and
>> repro
>> > produced to put on real hardware.
>> >
>> > I tried saving the game while playing on the AVS and it does not save,
>> or
>> > at least every time I select to load the save, it just starts a new
>> game.
>> >
>> > I can confirm the save/load feature works fine on real NES hardware.
>> >
>> > V/R
>> >
>> > Owen

Edited: 12/09/2017 at 02:26 PM by Oddzball

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:22:17 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Profile
DUPE POST.

Edited: 12/09/2017 at 02:24 PM by Oddzball

Dec 11, 2017 at 9:51:24 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Profile
Maybe you should sell your AVS if you're so unhappy with it and the support the creators provide.

-------------------------

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:29:03 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Profile
Hmmm, I think it is pretty silly to expect a company to know about and test every single Hack or Homebrew on the Web. They would go bankrupt buying games to test on the system, not to mention the amount of time it would take. Also, you can't expect overnight miracles. Not only is the programming on both sides complicated, by so is communication between 2 businesses.

#1, Make sure you are always on the latest firmware version before contacting support. Also, as with any piece of hardware, firmware upgrades can break existing working products. If that happens, contact support.
#2, Don't expect a Hack to work. If it does, then that is a nice bonus. It is nearly impossible to check every single hack. At this point, its up to the system manufacturer if they want to go down the rabbit hole of hacks. I would guess that if they have multiple complaints about a game, it may be worth their time and money to get it working.
#3, With Homebrews, unless it specifically states that the game works on the AVS, I would error on the side of caution that there could potentially be issues. Again, unless the game developer has an AVS to test on or they contact retroUSB ahead of time, how is RetroUSB supposed to know? Your best bet, contact both the game developer and retroUSB. If the developer gets enough complaints, maybe it may be worth their time to work with retroUSB to make sure their games work properly. And vice-versa, if retroUSB is hearing of a specific new game no working, it may be worth their time as well.

The lesson is, if Company X is selling Game Y to be played on the NES, I would only expect 100% compatibility on only the NES and that clone systems could have compatibility issues. If you have an issue, contact support on both ends and be patient. Don't expect overnight results. It could be weeks or even months before they are able to get it to work. And even then, they may wait to push out the update because they may fix multiple issues with a single update. It would be annoying to have to update your AVS every week because they got a game working.

In my experience, I test on the NES and AVS. Anything else, I don't support as there are just too many systems with too many quirks. The AVS is pretty impressive with it's compatibility list. It for sure beats the Retron 5 by a mile for compatibility for licensed, unlicensed, Homebrews, and hacks. The AVS is by far the best and most affordable HDMI NES\Famicom clone on the market.

EDIT: I just saw your other post about the 2 hacks. Man, if you are that upset about this, just sell the AVS and use a real NES. This is what I did with my Retron 5 because it didn't do what I wanted it to do. If you are in the market of playing on a clone system, then you need to expect that some games just aren't going to work, especially games that use hardware that didn't exist in 1990. FF and Pokemon are not your standard hacks. The only thing I expect the AVS to work with is the original NES library. It is near impossible to 100% clone an NES. If it was easy, many more companies would be doing it. There is a reason why Nintendo had the Quality Control program that developers had to pay to be apart of. This was Nintendo's way to assure its customers that any game you buy is guarenteed to work on their NES. You should be happy that Brian is even willing to try to get hacks and unlicenced games to work on his system because I know Nintendo would flat out refuse to. You've made it pretty clear multiple times over that you are pretty upset about these games not working to retroUSB support. So agian, my own advice that is 100% not affiliated with retroUSB or any creators of any games, either be patient or sell the system.

-------------------------
Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Edited: 12/11/2017 at 10:50 AM by Mega Mario Man

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:49:50 AM
MODERATOR
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Profile
Just so we are clear, OP is upset that the AVS will not run ONE specific "hack" and because of that the AVS has poor compatibility?

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:00:57 AM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Profile
I'll buy your AVS. Offering $50

-------------------------
Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Dec 11, 2017 at 1:11:31 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Profile
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Just so we are clear, OP is upset that the AVS will not run ONE specific "hack" and because of that the AVS has poor compatibility?

A little bigger than that- some newer homebrews don't work either.

While support for ROM hacks should be at the bottom of the priority list, I would think new games programmed from the ground up that work fine on original hardware should work natively on it (or at least if they work in one of the firmware revisions, a newer firmware revision shouldn't bork that).

Dec 11, 2017 at 5:00:11 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Profile
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Just so we are clear, OP is upset that the AVS will not run ONE specific "hack" and because of that the AVS has poor compatibility?

A little bigger than that- some newer homebrews don't work either.

For the record, the homebrews do work. Just not on the most recent firmware.

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:24:28 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Profile
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Just so we are clear, OP is upset that the AVS will not run ONE specific "hack" and because of that the AVS has poor compatibility?

Excuse me? Im not concerned about *fucking* hacks. I find it pretty odd that something that is suppose to be a FPGA replica of the original hardware, CANNOT run shit that runs on the original hardware. And it sure as hell is more than ONE specific hack. Should I NOT be able to use the AVS to run NEW homebrew games? Really?  My complaint, is the fact that we havent seen them fix any of the bugs in the firmware, OBVIOUS bugs mind you, for 10 months.

So apparrently, no we arent clear, because you cant be bothered to actually read my post.

Edited: 12/12/2017 at 11:27 PM by Oddzball

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:26:20 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Profile
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Just so we are clear, OP is upset that the AVS will not run ONE specific "hack" and because of that the AVS has poor compatibility?

A little bigger than that- some newer homebrews don't work either.

While support for ROM hacks should be at the bottom of the priority list, I would think new games programmed from the ground up that work fine on original hardware should work natively on it (or at least if they work in one of the firmware revisions, a newer firmware revision shouldn't bork that).

All of those are kinda my point. Thank you for actually reading my post instead of trying to white knight RetroUSB about this like some. I wouldnt be so pissed if it didnt seem like any future support has been abandoned, consider we are 10 months without an update. Actually more like over a year considering the last 2 firmware updates, including the "Final" 1.2 broke more things than they fixed IMO.

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:42:38 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Profile
No offense, but your "offer to help" is rather vague. Did you actually offer to send a cartridge?

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:58:51 PM
[...]

Take it easy big guy. No need to get all excited. Your email that you sent to the support team reffered to one singular game- That is a pirate (that I referred to  as a “hack” ).
So yes, I did read your post. Hence “one specific hack” comment. I assume things like this take a while to fix, Hopefully future firmware updates are put out at a speed that you approve of so your suffering can be ended.

Edited: 12/13/2017 at 12:02 AM by MrWunderful

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:04:47 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Profile
In the other thread, someone posted about how tricky firmware fixes can be. Fixing one thing can break another.

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:07:06 AM
[...]

“White knighting”? Really? Lol. I dont care either way.

Your original post is really abrasive and accusatory.  You instanly accuse them of dropping support just because you didnt get an answer you like. I was just calling you out on it.

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:08:03 AM
[...]

And the OP, or title of my original post or the other games I mentioned?

Also, i dont think its impatient or unreasonable to be wondering why there hasnt been in update in almost a year. Frankly for the price of the console, I would have expected better of them, but when I see that long without any updates or attempts to fix the issue, Im going to assume maybe someone ought to point out they never did fix the issues, hence the email.

Edited: 12/13/2017 at 12:14 AM by Oddzball

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:12:30 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Profile
Originally posted by: Oddzball

Also, i dont think its impatient or unreasonable to be wondering why there hasnt been in update in almost a year.

Almost a year? The 1.20 firmware update hasn't been available that long.