Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA beat every Game Boy game in a year? - 2019 USA: 190/497: 38.23% -- PAL: 14/69: 20.29%

Jan 22 at 1:02:18 PM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas

done with Game & Watch Gallery. I really like these games.

Jan 22 at 4:15:52 PM
beatthegameboy (0)
< Little Mac >
Washington
Gameboy fixed and Ultima: Runes of Virtue beat!

I liked it   fun little puzzle game. 

Edited: 01/22/2019 at 04:20 PM by beatthegameboy

Jan 22 at 4:39:18 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: acromite53

done with Game & Watch Gallery. I really like these games.

Did you get the credit screen?

Jan 22 at 4:39:56 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: beatthegameboy

Gameboy fixed and Ultima: Runes of Virtue beat!

Nice, what was wrong with it?

Edited: 01/22/2019 at 04:40 PM by Splain

Jan 22 at 4:53:13 PM
beatthegameboy (0)
< Little Mac >
Washington
Solder came loose on one of the battery tab things (very technical wording). Friend at work soldered it back on for me over lunch and I was able to finish it up   Thinking I'll try Star Wars next per a request on instagram.

Jan 22 at 5:00:33 PM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Originally posted by: Splain

Done with Game & Watch Gallery. I really like these games.

I didn't. Is that because I had already reached 1000 on this cart once before now?
i did get this screen though

Edited: 01/22/2019 at 05:03 PM by acromite53

Jan 22 at 6:24:13 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona

I didn't. Is that because I had already reached 1000 on this cart once before now?

When you get 1000 in 4 different games/modes (so, anywhere you can get 5 separate stars, technically you could do easy and hard in classic and modern in the same game and get it) it shows a brief credit roll.

I'm already impressed though. I can't do Fire for more than a couple hundred points. Modern Oil Panic is doable for me, and I'm decent at Octopus. But not Fire. And the manhole one gives me anxiety lol.

Jan 22 at 7:22:59 PM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas

When you get 1000 in 4 different games/modes (so, anywhere you can get 5 separate stars, technically you could do easy and hard in classic and modern in the same game and get it) it shows a brief credit roll.

I'm already impressed though. I can't do Fire for more than a couple hundred points. Modern Oil Panic is doable for me, and I'm decent at Octopus. But not Fire. And the manhole one gives me anxiety lol.
Ah! Ok I get it. So 3 more games in a different game or difficulty level at 1000 points. I'll work on it tonight.

Jan 26 at 2:41:53 PM
sunsetflip84 (0)
(Will Cartier) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Both Avenging Spirit and Bionic Commando complete. Avenging Spirit is a pretty cool and unique game. Definitely like the possession gimmick, but it can be rather tough too. Bionic Commando is a fantastic game. Those that love the NES version need to play this one! It's its own game and a great one too.

-------------------------

"So it is written. So let it be played!"

Check out my youtube gaming channel! Keep up to date on all of my shenanigans! http://www.youtube.com/user/maximpact24?feature=mhee

Jan 26 at 3:12:21 PM
sunsetflip84 (0)
Ontario
I like the WWF game boy games so here's another pair for ya'.   Both WWF Superstars and WWF Superstars 2 complete!

Check out my youtube gaming channel! Keep up to date on all of my shenanigans! http://www.youtube.com/user/maximpact24?feature=mhee

Jan 26 at 3:34:43 PM
sunsetflip84 (0)
Ontario
Meh, on a roll so why not? Paperboy is complete! Fun sized little game, damn those lawnmowers though! I figured out that keeping your front tire lined up between both the edges of the sidewalk and the grass...you can bypass: breakdancing guy, construction workers, and especially the SKATE BOARDER!

Jan 26 at 8:53:25 PM
sunsetflip84 (0)
Ontario
Last one for today, Battle Arena Toshinden is done. Excellent fighting game on a handheld no less! The TAKARA fighters are just plain quality really. Need to delve into the other ones soon I think. Sonia is a boss btw.  

Jan 27 at 12:33:59 AM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
The Addams Family is done:

There's the seed of a very good non-linear platformer in here, but it's just about wrecked by bad design choices.

Jan 27 at 1:40:44 AM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Nice job sunsetflip!

And I couldn't agree more about Addams Family. I played it for the first time at the end of last year, and it had some really odd quirks. I couldn't stand to stick with it.

Meanwhile, I played through Solitaire Funpak and Ishido. I had to look up some of the solitaire game rules in the manual. There's an FAQ on Gamefaqs, but it doesn't help too much and even has some wrong info. I'm considering writing my own. I wonder if they'll accept a FAQ for an obscure, unpopular GB game when there's already an FAQ...

Solitaire Funpak has a Tournament mode, but it's just a mode that gives you one shot at every game, so see what high score you end up with. The high score list is empty. So there's no real ending, and the requirement is just to beat every game once. Some of them took me dozens of tries. Each one gives you the same CONGRATULATIONS popup when you win.

Jan 29 at 11:18:30 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
I beat Klax. It always seemed like a game that I should like, but I never got the hang of it until this time around. Now I love it. When you beat level 99 it puts you back at level 1 with no fanfare at all. It's easier to play on a device that can display color, but they did a good job making it playable in B&W.

Jan 29 at 11:40:01 PM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Beat MegaMan Dr Wily's Revenge. This was pretty tough but I eventually got it after a bunch of continues. This was my first time playing it. I picked it up over the weekend at my local game store!

Jan 30 at 8:23:02 PM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

“Be quiet brain, or ill stab you with a Q-tip” ~Homer Simpson 

Edited: 01/30/2019 at 11:43 PM by DaneNES

Jan 31 at 11:21:54 AM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: DaneNES

https://imgur.com/a/75xXZbS
 METROID FUSION

Yeah dude, we need someone to set up a GBA completion thread. I haven't seen one for a long time.

Jan 31 at 2:57:13 PM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

METROID FUSION

Yeah dude, we need someone to set up a GBA completion thread. I haven't seen one for a long time.

Yup...I was afraid of that.  Guess I just thought I’d let y’all know... it happened. Yay me!

Jan 31 at 6:21:10 PM
sunsetflip84 (0)
Ontario
Two more done today. WWF King of the Ring and WWF Raw.

Jan 31 at 11:24:34 PM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

METROID FUSION

Metroid 2 then https://imgur.com/a/YQEHjbO

Feb 01 at 1:19:35 AM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona

METROID FUSION

Metroid 2 then https://imgur.com/a/YQEHjbO

Lol nice

I'm working on making the never-beaten games stand out. I tried bolding them and tinting them green, but that only helps a little, interestingly. Also figuring out a way to add a column to the leaderboard for how many first-time-ever games everyone has beaten, in a way that the spreadsheet can work out so that I don't have to update it manually. I'll get there.

Edited: 02/01/2019 at 01:30 AM by Splain

Feb 01 at 8:45:27 AM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
I'm surprised pics aren't a must.That would be pretty sad if a bunch of 30 somethings were lying about beating GameBoy games tho...

Feb 01 at 11:15:53 AM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Yeah, it would be neat if pics were required, but you can lie and cheat and still get a picture. There are a few reasons people don't include pictures, for example I didn't get a pic of Klax because there was no ending screen. It just kicked me right back to level 1. A picture would have been weird. Maybe I should have done it anyway though. Depends on the purpose of having pics. If it's for proof that I beat it, then the next time I play it, I should take a picture of my screen just before finishing level 99. Pausing the game still shows everything on-screen, and you can see which wave you're on and how close you are to finishing it. I'll probably do that next year.   But if the purpose of the pic is to show what the ending looks like so other people can see it, then I should have taken a pic of the Wave 1 screen, because that's all the ending I got.

Other reasons that have come up before for why people don't take pics include:
- The ending screen went away before I could get a pic
- I've taken pics of the ending already in previous years
- The process of taking a pic, uploading it, resizing it, and posting it can get tedious
- Just don't want to

I don't want anyone to feel like they shouldn't post a game if they don't have a pic. And like you said, it would be weird if someone lied about beating a Game Boy game. I do like the pictures though.

Feb 01 at 12:20:44 PM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Yeah, downloading imgur and just posting the link like I do, is the easiest but still a task. and making a dated tag for proof that it's not an old picture in a "can we beat the games", scenario would be a little strict I guess. We aren't calculating point or anything. Makes sense.
i will add that anyone that cheats at playing gameboy is a PUNK! and you can tell em’ daneNES says so!😉

Edited: 02/01/2019 at 12:22 PM by DaneNES