Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Adventure Island, FFFUUUUUU$%*#@! Can any mere mortal beat this game?

Sep 02 at 10:23:34 AM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Originally posted by: acromite53

Haha. I have beaten all 3 Adventure Island NES games. I went through the same struggles you did. I definitely used the continues. If you lose your ax on the last world you are pretty screwed. I lost it and it was a nightmare getting through. It is one of the absolute hardest NES games no doubt. The 2nd game is almost equally tough. The 3rd is a lot easier.

This is what I remember about playing it a long time ago... losing your axe is rough on that last stretch and makes it very difficult. Might be time to re-visit this game. It's been a long time sinc I've played through it.

I played Super Adventure Island for the SNES contest a number of years ago and no-deathed it after a day or two. Definitely a much easier game with a lot less going on.

-------------------------
Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Edited: 09/02/2019 at 10:24 AM by Andy_Bogomil

Sep 02 at 8:42:55 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
That game is hard as balls. I believe I've never beaten it.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Sep 02 at 11:56:03 PM
NESfiend (25)
(Travis ) < El Ripper >
Missouri
Originally posted by: the tall guy

That game is hard as balls. I believe I've never beaten it.

Hard as balls is the only way to describe it. I have definitely never beaten it. I made a big effort to beat all of my childhood favorites a handful of years back. This is the only one that I couldn't even come close. TMNT 1 was the other one that alluded me, but I think that would be doable if I had the time. 

Edited: 09/02/2019 at 11:57 PM by NESfiend

Sep 03 at 10:54:02 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Somewhere in the Level 6 range, it starts to get serious Gradius-Syndrome.

I'd love to take the time to beat it someday, but I remember fizzling out around Level 6-2 during a contest championship a few years ago.

Sep 03 at 12:37:38 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
I really want AirVillain to go back to AI and then see his reaction when 8-4 is just a harder version of 7-4, lol.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Sep 03 at 3:15:29 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
8-3 is plain evil.
But I like this game.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Sep 03 at 3:18:38 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

But I like this game.

The AI games were suspiciously missing from the contest lineup this year. I'm betting we see one in the tournament.

Sep 03 at 11:29:28 PM
Red (80)
(Green Blue) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: AirVillain

Originally posted by: Red

I've only beaten it with continues. I've never tried to beat it without continues, but I think I'd be able to if I really wanted to put the effort into it. Since losing a life only makes it harder, I feel that anyone who can beat with continues should be able to beat it without them with enough practice.

Yeah, but it's relentless!!! I can beat the levels individually, but putting together a string of performances for ALL the levels... that blows my mind. 

Just like GNG. Each level I can make it through given enough chances.... but to beat them all, in a row, would be basically be a "perffect" run to me. 

Personally, I think GnG is the harder game.  I'd sooner be able to no death Adventure Island than that game.

Sep 03 at 11:58:06 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Red

I've only beaten it with continues. I've never tried to beat it without continues, but I think I'd be able to if I really wanted to put the effort into it. Since losing a life only makes it harder, I feel that anyone who can beat with continues should be able to beat it without them with enough practice.

Yeah, but it's relentless!!! I can beat the levels individually, but putting together a string of performances for ALL the levels... that blows my mind. 

Just like GNG. Each level I can make it through given enough chances.... but to beat them all, in a row, would be basically be a "perffect" run to me. 

Personally, I think GnG is the harder game.  I'd sooner be able to no death Adventure Island than that game.

I'd much rather play AI than GnG. I've only ever made it to stage 3 or 4 in GnG because it's kind of a chore to play.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Sep 04 at 9:08:07 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: mbd39

I'd much rather play AI than GnG. I've only ever made it to stage 3 or 4 in GnG because it's kind of a chore to play.

Agreed.

There is a charm to Adventure Island that the original GnG doesn't quite capture, in my opinion.

Super Ghouls and Ghosts is another story, though.

Sep 04 at 9:13:08 AM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Love both GnG and Adventure Island myself, but I guess I'm weird that way, If games are difficult I tend to like them more easily. I can for example see Felix The Cat and Kirby's Adventures are good games, but that they're so damn easy sort of makes them less memorable.

Sep 04 at 9:50:52 AM
Strikezone1 (1)
(Steve ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan

I'm the opposite. I find GnG to be much less of a chore than AI1. It's shorter to complete even with the 2 loop requirement, you keep your weapon when you die, and the boss battles are more enjoyable.

Sep 04 at 12:41:42 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Strikezone1

I'm the opposite. I find GnG to be much less of a chore than AI1. It's shorter to complete even with the 2 loop requirement, you keep your weapon when you die, and the boss battles are more enjoyable.

GNG has more frustrating controls, sluggish framerate and cheap deaths from enemy RNG. It's another janky Micronics port. AI is a much tighter game and more fun, IMO.

Edited: 09/04/2019 at 12:42 PM by mbd39

Sep 04 at 2:50:55 PM
Strikezone1 (1)
(Steve ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan

GNG has more frustrating controls, sluggish framerate and cheap deaths from enemy RNG. It's another janky Micronics port. AI is a much tighter game and more fun, IMO.

I agree that the biggest drawbacks of GnG are the stiff jumping controls and enemy RNG. However with AI the slippery momentum-based controls combined with the insane amount of cheap enemy placement, combined with the insane amount of trial & error platforming, combined with 1HK, combined with not being able to regain your weapon at some of the most difficult spots late in the game, all make for a much more frustrating experience overall.

Don't get me wrong I think both games are good for what they are (early NES titles, and staples of the NES-hard novelty), I just personally prefer GnG and find it to be less frustrating to beat than AI.

Sep 05 at 12:02:57 PM
Red (80)
(Green Blue) < Lolo Lord >
United States

While I agree that Adventure Island is the better game, I can't say that I really enjoyed it.  It's not that I think it's a bad game, it's just that whenever I played, I always felt like like I'd be having more fun if I was playing Wonder Boy on Sega Master System instead.  It has more stages, better graphics, and I think it controls a bit better as well.  There are some things that make it easier like that the cobras don't spit fire and that the bad eggs are speckled.  Some things make it harder like the lack of the fireball weapon upgrade.  The extra stages and having to collect all the dolls to access all the stages could add to the challenge, but they are optional.  Overall, I think it's the easier game, so anyone who has trouble with Adventure Island might like it better.

Sep 05 at 12:14:16 PM
Kid Dracula (92)
(AP ) < Lolo Lord >
Nova Scotia
Have you guys played the arcade version of ghosts and goblins? I think Micronics actually did a great job at capturing the crushing difficulty of the arcade. They are both hard as balls but the arcade version is tougher due to faster enemies and the unpredictable patterns of the Red Devils. It takes time but is worth it to make your way through the game....twice!

Sep 05 at 12:39:20 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Kid Dracula

Have you guys played the arcade version of ghosts and goblins? I think Micronics actually did a great job at capturing the crushing difficulty of the arcade. They are both hard as balls but the arcade version is tougher due to faster enemies and the unpredictable patterns of the Red Devils. It takes time but is worth it to make your way through the game....twice!

There was a cabinet in the breakroom at my dad's work when I was a kid.  I could reach the second level.

Mike Matei streamed the arcade game and he had an extremely frustrating time beating it. It does look harder.

Sep 05 at 6:50:50 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
The one thing I don't like about GnG arcade is the double unicorn at the start of stage 6. You are almost assured to lose your armour there.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Sep 05 at 7:27:20 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: Kid Dracula

I've played this one a lot on my Arcade1Up this Summer and have only gotten to Level 4 once and never broken a score of 50,000k yet
But I definitely enjoy it a lot! Probably the best intro to any videogame ever...just naked in a graveyard

Sep 09 at 11:09:10 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia

Tons of good conversation here. Tough to compare GNG & Advenure Island for me. 

If I feel up for a longer game, I think I kind of like GNG more because of less repetition in the levels. But I do have to play each level repetatively in order to actually get passed it anyways, haha. 

I shal revisit AI at some point, but damn... It's tough.

I would never describve AI's controls as "tight",  mbd39, haha... Quite the opposite I would say.  

Those little cabinets look cool.... GNG would for sure be one of the reasons to pick one up...

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Sep 22 at 2:24:46 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: AirVillain

Originally posted by: hybrid

Check here
https://gamehacking.org/game/29850

INVINCIBILITY WHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUU!?!?!?