Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

CIB Donkey Kong Jr. Math **Updated with better pics**

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:37:24 PM
Little Nemo (107)
(Mark D) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
Yeah hate to say it but I'm with Jone - the tape really takes away from it for me (looks like there is some on the side/top of the warranty side of the box too?)

It is in good shape structurally though - that to me has got to be worth at least $800.

EDIT: Ugh, good catch on the touch up.  Ouch.

Edited: 12/11/2013 at 03:39 PM by Little Nemo

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:41:52 PM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
Whenever I come across tape on a box like this, I run a blowdryer over the tape for a long time, then the tape slips right off. No harm no foul.

-------------------------
Instagram
Wishlist

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:29:49 PM
rondy_ (91)
< El Ripper >
United States
My rough estimate $600-$900

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:42:20 PM
RetroSauce (176)
(Andrew Sauce) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
I think Jone and Bronty are the voice of reason around here. I think a lot of you guys underestimate how condition sensitive this hobby is.

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:44:16 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
With marker touch ups and tape all over it, I think $500 would be pushing it.

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:51:19 PM
Darth Vader (84)
(Tony Scarlato) < El Ripper >
Illinois
Originally posted by: RetroSauce

I think Jone and Bronty are the voice of reason around here. I think a lot of you guys underestimate how condition sensitive this hobby is.

That is exactly what I need. I know condition plays a big part ESPECIALLY when it comes to black box games.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:03:58 PM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Yeah I think Jonas is probably right 6 to 8 ? (Without sharpie damage)

Since a beat copy went for 6, doubt it will get any lower than that.

If there is Sharpie.... I would just pass as it Looks like shit in person, but makes photos look great, if taken right.
Also didn't see the sharpie! Nice catch

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Edited: 12/11/2013 at 05:07 PM by Elijah

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:11:12 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: JD

If there is Sharpie.... I would just pass as it Looks like shit in person, but makes photos look great, if taken right.
I think of you everytime I see a touched up Black Box game these days.  Sorry that you have first had experience with buying these based on initial pics

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:14:37 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
Well I've really only ran into that one example, but for sure something any Black Box collector should be aware of.

Especially on something that looks suspiciously nice.

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:56:47 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
I personally couldn't own this without wanting to take the tape off. It would drive me insane!

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:43:56 PM
Darth Vader (84)
Illinois
He brought it by and it isn't marker. It looks much better in person. I will post better pics in a couple minutes.

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:53:49 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: jonebone

Originally posted by: JD

I think of you everytime I see a touched up Black Box game these days.  Sorry that you have first had experience with buying these based on initial pics

Same here, JD is our Black Box Sharpie martyr, a future NA saint.

Edited: 12/11/2013 at 08:54 PM by guillavoie

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:16:42 PM
Darth Vader (84)
Illinois
Ok, I don't see any marker on here at all. It was just the low quality of the pictures. I have updated the original post with higher quality pics.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:49:07 PM
Rengozu (54)
(Jeff Smith) < Lolo Lord >
Tennessee
I'd love that in my set for under $500

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:53:50 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Just wanted to pop in and say i sold Erik his most mintiest copy!

For far less then some of these prices quoted!!!

tee hee!

the price of being young and dumb, and jumping ship before the chaos hit :-)

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
Visit our store in Winchester Virginia! http://www.facebook.com/backtothemedia
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:02:55 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
Originally posted by: Darth Vader

Ok, I don't see any marker on here at all. It was just the low quality of the pictures. I have updated the original post with higher quality pics.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Yeah, I don't think there is, probably just fuzzy camera tricks first time around.  Two main reasons I think you are safe:

1. You saw it in person, it would be down right obvious in-hand because there is a purplish tint to it, from reflecting light.

2. If it was indeed touched up, you probably would not  see a spec of white, because the goal, after-all is to remove white from camera pictures I think, ( if I could put myself in the shoes of a would-be toucher-upper.)

If you want to see some pics of a real hand example, to put yourself at ease, I can hook you up.

Also, thanks guys, I appreciate the call out,  but I've moved on and forgiven the guy. 

I think everyone makes mistakes and deserves to be forgiven at some point.  It probably started out with good intentions..  to cover up the place where the sticker seal made a tear on the front of the box, but things escalated, and better judgement probably went out the window. 

And lastly, I was as much at falt, because I was hastey in making a deal, with the fear of losing out to another bidder.

Many more deals and freebies have came my way via NA to more than make up for one minor deal, so I'm definitely not Martyr or saint status.

I really don't think Black Box touch up is very common.  I've got almost two complete sets, and have only ran into that one example.  But then again, I don't have near the collection Erik does.  If anyone would susceptable, you think he would have ran into it a time or two for sure. ---- And I don't think he has. (maybe I'm wrong)

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:08:22 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
That's fine JD, I was really just joking about it, I would be embarrassed too being referred as a saint.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:30:16 PM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
Oh, yeah, it's all good. I think I drink a little bit too much for saint status also, probably. But maybe that helps for NA Saint status?

A certain member sent me a Sharpie pen in the mail with one of my recent purchase, which got me to almost die laughing. Good times.

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:34:24 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Haha, good one for sure, and laughing out of this incident is definitely the best way to take it now that it belong to the past.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:35:28 PM
ankermane (49)
(Erik ) < Kraid Killer >
California
Yeah, Jone & Bronty are dead on, IMO. I'd say around 5-800, depending on the recent marker note. Tape kills it and the punched hangtab is a big knock too.

Guillavoie, I'm just glad I got your DKJr Math CIB long ago. Always think of you when I look at it (not in a gay way, of course ). I remember that and your Stack Up sitting for a while back then too. Man how times change...

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:42:07 PM
Sjp5412 (66)
(Sam ) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
If this is the game I'm thinking of, I drove 6 hours last weekend to Illinois because I saw the very edge of this game in one of the estate sale ad photos. The guy who bought it got there 8 minutes ahead of me and got this game for..... $47.. I asked him if he was a member here and he's not so I don't feel bad giving away the price he paid. The damn estate sale wouldn't let me buy anything until the first guy in line picked out everything he wanted which happened to be 20-30 really nice CIB NES games. I offered him $500 on the spot for it and he didn't even blink. I highly doubt he'd sell it for less than 1k which, having seen it in person, was right around retail IMO.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:42:40 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
I saw you posted in the thread and thought that you might make a reference to the one I sold you, hehe. Truly a beautiful piece and I never regretted letting it go your way.

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:02:12 AM
mrlemnas (5)
(J. H.) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
I've gotten at least two BB titles that were touched up with a Sharpie. They were the weirdest titles to touch up too, like Pro Wrestling. WTF? One of them is still in my collection, now I'll have to look when I get home to see which one it is, I know it's not expensive title, might even be DH.

Anyways, OP, good luck with the purchase,someday I'll get my hands on a copy of that game.

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:02:41 AM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
I would have no problem paying $500 for this. I could get that tape off no problem. As long as it isn't a bunch of sharpie covering up damage it would appear to be better than a lot of the recent copies I've seen sell. In terms of value, if the tape was off like I know it could be removed from those areas, and it isn't sharpie I'd certainly say $700ish. If the tape is removed carefully and this went up for open auction on eBay I could see it hitting $800.

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:27:01 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
If the tape gets removed and there is no marker I'd go with $800-$1000. But I know there is no way that I could remove that tape personally. I think this is one of those rare cases where a bit of restoration (removing the tape) could really add substantial value to the end price.

But if you screw it up, you pretty much destroy the value too. Definitely a risk / reward scenario.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=