Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2017 Weekly Contests Presents: Paperboy 2 Contest ends Sunday, 4/16/17 at 11 PM NA time

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:53:22 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
just stoping by to say... paper boy games suck!

-------------------------
 2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:32:01 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

just stoping by to say... paper boy games suck!

My opinion on game selection for the contests is "anything but Paperboy", lol.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:57:05 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:34:43 AM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
Nipping on the heels of gutsman, who is nipping on the heels of Bea........

On the hunt for prototypes...

Eat, sleep, collect, repeat.
[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Edited: 04/16/2017 at 10:49 PM by ninjistar

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:52:16 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
I can't possibly be the only one who loves paperboy games here.  

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:07:28 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I love the original Paperboy but I have hardly played the second, and so far I'm not digging it. I will keep trying though. I'm at 23K so far.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:12:32 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
I will do a new run tonight, record it and post it here.
That ought to help people clear easy street at least.

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:25:33 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: arnpoly

I love the original Paperboy but I have hardly played the second, and so far I'm not digging it. I will keep trying though. I'm at 23K so far.

I'm sure you'll get the hang of it, just don't spend too much time watching Cubs games this week.  

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:31:38 AM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan

Haves     |     Wants

Edited: 04/16/2017 at 06:48 PM by Stryphos

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:53:51 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Look at Bea's score compared to everybody else. She's most def the queen of Paperboy.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:33:54 PM
tablew/chairs (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Michigan
right bea is basically begging someone to challenge her giving hints, saying she'll post a video but looks like she's going to run away with it

happy birthday also

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:59:45 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: mbd39

Look at Bea's score compared to everybody else. She's most def the queen of Paperboy.

I'm not saying Bea can't win this one, because we've certainly seen what she can do. However, I do think it's WAY too early to call it. While we were grinding it out on Tecmo Super Bowl, it seems that Bea was ramping up and nailing down her Paperboy 2 game. Good show!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I threw up a quick score to make sure I get participation. This is my first time playing Paperboy 2 (or any Paperboy game, really). It's not too bad. The music reminds me of Rampage. I'm guessing there is a connection there, but I didn't bother to look into that yet!  I think I will be able to put up a decent score. It's a bit slow going, though.  Bea, how long did game completion take you (the time it takes to make a full run)?

On the hunt for prototypes...

Eat, sleep, collect, repeat.
[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:13:56 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

I spend my days coding. Keyboards are my specialty.
It feels as natural as the NES pad for me in most cases. And the input lag is easily measurable and accountable for.
But I am eyeing an Everdrive this year. Playing on the real hardware feels better and has a wee bit less of input lag.

Uhm... I don't dislike to play using a keyboard. I agree that on many cases, especially in NES games, you are correct, it is not a big deal at all, and makes little difference, if any. If you play a game like Super Off Road, where the inputs are right, left, gas and nitro, just have two arrows keys, the space bar for gas, and a letter key for nitro, and you are just fine. Or on the SNES, playing a menu game like FF or a Koei game, to use a keyboard makes no difference at all.

However, for what my two cents opinion it is worth, in few cases, using a keyboard gives issues, compared to a joypad:
- Some games require diagonal plus button pressed simultaneously to perform some actions (e.g. ISS on SNES), and it seems to me that this cannot be done using a keyboard, since it will not record two arrow keys and a letter key pressed simultaneously;
- Fast paced games that use all six SNES buttons are harder on a keyboard IMO; I mean, it is easier to quickly find and press one out of six buttons on a joypad, rather than one out of six arbitrary keys on a keyboard;
- Some kind of motions on the D-Pad are unlikely to be triggered in a reliable way with a keyboard (e.g. some SFII moves); some games (e.g. FFVI when using Sabin) will record a quick down down right on the arrows keys like if it was an haduken like motion, but most will not, and it seems to me reasonable to say that these motions on the D-Pad are more likely to be reliably triggered on a joypad compared to a keyboard (e.g. in SFII to efficiently play Chunli with a keyboard is more likely than efficiently play Ken).

So, well, bottom line: Sincerely Congrats for your monster score in this game; and if you really can play everything you play so efficiently with just a keyboard, well, then... impressive! Chapeau!  

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:31:26 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
I am mobile now so I can't quote posts.
But still, a full run takes about 1:20 hours to do. I can do an all perfectly deliveries with no deaths 1 every 4 tries.

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:32:16 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: user

I spend my days coding. Keyboards are my specialty.
It feels as natural as the NES pad for me in most cases. And the input lag is easily measurable and accountable for.
But I am eyeing an Everdrive this year. Playing on the real hardware feels better and has a wee bit less of input lag.

Uhm... I don't dislike to play using a keyboard. I agree that on many cases, especially in NES games, you are correct, it is not a big deal at all, and makes little difference, if any. If you play a game like Super Off Road, where the inputs are right, left, gas and nitro, just have two arrows keys, the space bar for gas, and a letter key for nitro, and you are just fine. Or on the SNES, playing a menu game like FF or a Koei game, to use a keyboard makes no difference at all.

However, for what my two cents opinion it is worth, in few cases, using a keyboard gives issues, compared to a joypad:
- Some games require diagonal plus button pressed simultaneously to perform some actions (e.g. ISS on SNES), and it seems to me that this cannot be done using a keyboard, since it will not record two arrow keys and a letter key pressed simultaneously;
- Fast paced games that use all six SNES buttons are harder on a keyboard IMO; I mean, it is easier to quickly find and press one out of six buttons on a joypad, rather than one out of six arbitrary keys on a keyboard;
- Some kind of motions on the D-Pad are unlikely to be triggered in a reliable way with a keyboard (e.g. some SFII moves); some games (e.g. FFVI when using Sabin) will record a quick down down right on the arrows keys like if it was an haduken like motion, but most will not, and it seems to me reasonable to say that these motions on the D-Pad are more likely to be reliably triggered on a joypad compared to a keyboard (e.g. in SFII to efficiently play Chunli with a keyboard is more likely than efficiently play Ken).

So, well, bottom line: Sincerely Congrats for your monster score in this game; and if you really can play everything you play so efficiently with just a keyboard, well, then... impressive! Chapeau!  

It all depends on your keyboard and how you set up they keys.
Most keyboards have limitations on what set of keys it can pass up to the controller at a given frame due to design limitations, but if depending on the keys you set, it can interpret up to 5 ro 6 keystrokes at the same frame.
But still, I only use the keyboard for NES and Neo Geo games.
For SNES, I much prefer using a proper pad.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:07:59 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

Bimmy also likes Paperboy

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:13:16 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Bimmy, in your personal opinion....What do you think is "the" best Paper Boy game?

Doesn't even have to be one you own....Doesn't even have to be one that exists for that matter.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:15:50 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
That is awesome, Bimmy.  
I need to get Paperboy 2 in cart form in the future. I am enjoying it too much!

Also, very minor score update on page 1. Took way too many tries to get to hard way with perfect deliveries... and the bloody street doesn't give me a single baby cart during all week!  
My final score was 378,610
I recorded the video of that run and will post it tomorrow night, after I am home from work.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:34:08 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Small update. Not even going to get in the same universe as Bea's score.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:36:08 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
... OBS didn't record a thing of that run! >.<
Guess I have something to do at lunch break tomorrow. I hope the RNG will give me baby carts on Hard Way, though.
I do want to clear 400K.  

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:39:05 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: TheToxieRules

Bimmy, in your personal opinion....What do you think is "the" best Paper Boy game?

Doesn't even have to be one you own....Doesn't even have to be one that exists for that matter.

My favorite would probably have to be Paperboy 2 on the SNES.  I feel the controls are bit better in that one as opposed to the NES version.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:42:06 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

My favorite would probably have to be Paperboy 2 on the SNES.  I feel the controls are bit better in that one as opposed to the NES version.

I personally have never played that one, Bimmy.

After I was re-reading my comment I was reading Paper Boy Game as "Paper Game Boy"

Man it sounds all weird now.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:42:27 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

They absolutely are, and the game lags far less than the NES port.
Paperboy 2 on the NES lags a lot when too many objects are on screen. And that can cause the papergirl/boy to "whiff" a paper throw.
It does the throwing animation, but no paper is spawned.

Also, will we get a special 400K+ Bimmy score submission this week?  

Edited: 04/10/2017 at 10:43 PM by Bea_Iank

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:46:57 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Small update. Not even going to get in the same universe as Bea's score.

Come on! You can get at least 300K and I know it.  

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:48:32 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

They absolutely are, and the game lags far less than the NES port.
Paperboy 2 on the NES lags a lot when too many objects are on screen. And that can cause the papergirl/boy to "whiff" a paper throw.
It does the throwing animation, but no paper is spawned.

Also, will we get a special 400K+ Bimmy score submission this week?  

I was noticing the "whiff" of the papers as I was playtesting the game for this week.  At first I thought I had not pressed the button down hard enough, but then realized it was some sort of glitch.

I may like the Paperboy games, but I am certainly not good enough to post a 400K+ score  

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!