Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

e-Zine: Old Frontiers (PAL collecting)

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:54:03 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Discuss Dan's article here.

BTW, anyone who didn't sort out the 4/1 e-zine, the direct download link is here:

http://www.nintendoage.com/index....

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:33:20 AM
OzNEScollector (80)
(O z) < Kraid Killer >
Australia
it think it was a very informative article from my perspective, in the sense that alot of people think that PAL is Rodland/Gimmick/snowboard challenge/PAM. there are plenty more great exclusives and variants for the hardcore guys to collect AND when you get into it, with the exception of SC/PAM there are several "sleeper" titles that are much rarer than the "popular" big $$$ titles IMO.

i have some ideas for some PAL related articles when a few more titles arrive in hand

-------------------------

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:24:18 PM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
Great article Dan!

There's definitely some nice sleeper titles in the PAL exclusive lot, especially when it comes to shooters (Over Horizon, Parodius, Dropzone).

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:53:32 PM
Palcom (29)
(Mergim M.) < Lolo Lord >
Austria
I enjoyed your article Dan, good job.
I would also like to contribute articles about PAL stuff if people are interested.

Searching for CIB PAL-B NOE or FRG games... PM me now! :D

Sale/Trade Thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Hards...

Originally posted by: Megamanfan

I don't know how to ship internationaly.

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:37:40 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Thanks guys, I just wanted to mention (thanks to Palcom) that I listed the incorrect NTSC title for "Phantom Air Mission" -- it's actually Flight of the Intruder. Brain fart...sorry

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:22:29 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Hey, another thing is that, at least on the French version, The Smurfs is completely playable up until Gargamel, who is scrambled almost to the point of impossibility (it is possible, but much more difficult than it should be). You basically have to get to the end boss to notice it, so it's quite easy to not find the problem, but it's a pretty heavy-duty glitch.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:49:22 PM
Palcom (29)
Austria
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

Hey, another thing is that, at least on the French version, The Smurfs is completely playable up until Gargamel, who is scrambled almost to the point of impossibility (it is possible, but much more difficult than it should be). You basically have to get to the end boss to notice it, so it's quite easy to not find the problem, but it's a pretty heavy-duty glitch.

Let me guess: You played "The Smurfs" on a NTSC NES? Or did you watch this video (also played in NTSC, note the fast music)?

There is only one PAL-B version out there, no revisions.

Edited: 04/08/2010 at 05:53 PM by Palcom

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:52:54 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
I played it on a chipped toaster. I never made it that far myself, but it was Dr. Morbis that made it to Gargamel. He eventually beat him, but it was a stone bitch to do. Not sure if it was PAL A or B, don't have the cart handy, but I'm sure you'd know which it was...Les Schtroumphs (or whatever the French labeled it as). Not even sure if A or B makes a difference

EDIT: It was worse than that.  It was like trying to play Asterix.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Edited: 04/08/2010 at 05:53 PM by the_wizard_666

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:55:08 PM
Palcom (29)
Austria
So I was right:
Btw. both games were produced by Bit Managers, no surprise they act similar in NTSC.

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:57:03 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Well like I say, it's just Gargamel. When he's on the screen, the whole screen is buggered except for the sprite for your Smurf. You can see what you're doing, just not what's going on around you. Once you beat him it goes back to normal though.