Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Official Shelving Display and System Display Thread Ideas for shelves, displays, building them, etc.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:29:16 PM
Quack (68)
(Quack Quack) < King Solomon >
Florida
Thought we could start an official thread for people to ask questions, share pictures, and ideas with how to display collections or systems.  I feel like I've noticed some more topics of late asking about these topics, which everyone could contribute and keep track of all in one place.

-------------------------

Mr Penguin O4 (9:01:18 PM): Quackenguin
SnappleSTG (9:01:28 PM): Pengenbush

Swing by my YouTube channel for a visit, and sub up while you're there! :)

Edited: 07/10/2014 at 10:29 PM by Quack

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:57:32 PM
Wren (14)
(Greg Wickstead) < Eggplant Wizard >
British Columbia
I've actually just measured up my wall so I can build a custom cabinet to hold all my games.

Would love to see some examples other people have built!

I'll do a before and after when I break ground hopefully this weekend!

Currently looking for:
CIB Uncharted Waters for NES/SNES
Paladin's Quest Manual - SNES
Turbo Grafix 16 Controller
Genesis Model 1 Power Supply

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:29:32 PM
DwideSchrude (5)
< Little Mac >
California
yes i agree. i was one of those recent posts. id love to see what people have, and where they got it / how to build it. awesome....there was some good posts I've seen already

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:06:29 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Here are some links to some of the older threads, but I want to see some pics in this thread.

Build Your own shelves for 20.00

Media Shelving suggestions

Custom Shelves How-To

Best Shelves for NES games

Gameboy Shelf

Quack if you want to add these to the first post go ahead.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:05:55 AM
darwin (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Oregon
I'm going to be starting a project soon to build a wall mounted shelving display for my cib systems and accessories. I will share my struggles here

On the hunt for a CIB Konami Laser Scope. 

Always looking for CIB NES games and accessories. PM me.

Jul 16, 2014 at 5:48:12 PM
bobrocks95 (0)

(Dylan French) < Little Mac >
Kentucky
I'd be interested to know if anybody has gotten or made any sort of book display shelving for boxed games. Maybe something like these shelves they have for children's books? http://www.amazon.com/Steffy-Wood...

It's the best idea I can think of for a small boxed game collection where you'd want to display all of them. If anybody knows of any other shallow shelves that have a lip on the front that would be perfect, but I haven't come across anything like that in my searching.

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:16:17 PM
Soera (164)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Oklahoma
I built a wall inside my closet of my game room to house my NES and SMS collection. I will get a pic up here in a few days.

Jul 30, 2014 at 2:27:55 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Any idea for shelves on a vaulted ceiling? The walls are only 4 foot tall and I need to leave them open because drunkards fall and spill booze on them. I also have a pool table and want to leave enough room so pool sticks aren't knocking stuff off the shelves. So, that leaves me with the vaulted ceilings. (about 35% pitch, I don't know how to do pitch, so it could be backwards).

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:37:07 PM
NintendoTwizer (172)
(Aaron N) < King Solomon >
Wyoming
Vaulted ceilings eh? May want to check out Mr.Nintendo's gameboy collection: http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...#

Edited: 07/30/2014 at 03:37 PM by NintendoTwizer

Jul 30, 2014 at 4:15:49 PM
killerkobra (91)
(dean belmont) < Ridley Wrangler >
Alberta
Originally posted by: NintendoTwizer

Vaulted ceilings eh? May want to check out Mr.Nintendo's gameboy collection: http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Users.Games&... #

yes!! as soon as I read vaulted ceilings his was the collection pics that came to mind. Very Cool indead

Jul 30, 2014 at 4:21:34 PM
friendorfoe (12)
(Baxter worthington) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I also have some nifty shelves i built with step by step pictures. Have to wait till i move in to my new place to post them. Glad they will have an official home now. Will this thread be stickied on the front page?

NES - 231/677 SNES - 126/721 N64 - 289/296

Jul 30, 2014 at 5:35:38 PM
cgfeelit (163)
(Clint Gibbs) < Meka Chicken >
Indiana
Here's mine i just recently built. Built it to fit next to tv for now also made it to where when I do move instead of having to rebuild new all I have to do is cut boards to size for the shelves and slide them into place. Easiest way i found to do it was using a cross cut saw raised to about half way of the side boards and notching out grooves for the shelves to slide into. Seems pretty sturdy only have the top middle and bottom shelf screwed in the rest are just resting on the notches. Plan on building another for a whole wall entertainment shelving system that i can take step by step pics of if anyone is interested in, should be starting that in couple weeks.

Edited: 07/30/2014 at 05:36 PM by cgfeelit

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:10:15 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Originally posted by: NintendoTwizer

Vaulted ceilings eh? May want to check out Mr.Nintendo's gameboy collection: http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Users.Games&... #

neat idea.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:05:55 AM
Saintkat (39)
(Justin Bailey) < Eggplant Wizard >
Alberta
Sorethumbs should get in here with his IKEA shelve set up. He found the perfect glass cabinets for both NES and N64/SNES boxes, and it looks amazing.

I need for a Sculptor's Cut and Stunt Racer 64 manual - final two for the collection!

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:35:58 PM
sorethumbs (28)
(Chris Moores) < Eggplant Wizard >
Alberta
Hey thanks I'll try to get some decent pics up today

PERMASTRUCT cases or stickers: I'm your buyer;)

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:52:08 PM
DoctorNick (76)
(Nick ) < El Ripper >
Ohio
I'll try to post a decent pic, I built a custom shelf for my original NES collection (when it was around 250 carts), now that it is over 500 I am storing the other half of the alphabet on a store bought shelf until we move.

"100% agree. I'll never bargain shop for tattoos or condoms."  -thenickross 2015

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:13:15 PM
DaxWills (2)

< Little Mac >
Pennsylvania
I built the shelving unit below for under 100 dollars out of pine with plywood backing. It houses 1 complete NTSC library with some space left over for variants. It's a very straight forward design and anyone can make this with basic tools. Since making the original I've gone on to make a lot of these things for nearly every system one can think of just by adjusting the measurements. Any questions I will gladly answer.

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:51:25 PM
Sidetrakkd (4)
(Ryan ) < Little Mac >
British Columbia
@DaxWills -- that looks awesome. Really clean and simple design, it'll look amazing once it's filled.

I took a slightly simpler approach with mine. Bought a bunch of 1x6s and wall brackets and mounted them on my wall. There is still a little bit of tweaking that I need to do, but for the most part I'm happy with it. Once my collection is nearing completion, I plan on putting in smaller shelves (about 1.75") on the right wall, where Mario and Luigi are standing. I also need to install one more shelf, but I'm unsure at the moment if I'm going to do it at the bottom or top, so I'm leaving it off until I absolutely need it.

For someone with no handyman skills at all, I was extremely proud of the result.

Ignore the mess at the bottom. I'm generally not a very neat person.

Edited: 08/01/2014 at 10:52 PM by Sidetrakkd

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:24:26 PM
DaxWills (2)

< Little Mac >
Pennsylvania
Sidetrak thanks for the kind words. The shelving had to meet a few criteria. I build things for a living and kept getting people asking for custom shelving to hold their (insert form of media here) collection. I needed to keep cost of materials low enough that I could start pricing at 200 bucks unpainted to make it attractive. You can buy a similar sized thing from chain stores but it's 100 bucks and particle board and cardboard, yuck. 2nd thing was uniformity. So keep it simple and clean so that people who collect different systems or want to mix media all the racks will all look similar so they all "flow" together better. Most importantly, make it truly freestanding (you can't see it in the picture but the base is larger than the rest and the shelves for the games are inset of the frame). I didn't want these to have to be anchored to walls and can be moved around at will. Since making the original (the one in the photo) I've made/sold close to 50 of these things. I can easily make them more impressive and elaborate but oftentimes simple and easy is the way to go. Why take away from the display of the games. Focus should be on those not on the shelving. At least in my opinion.

BTW I like shelves using wall brackets idea. By any chance does nintendo make bookends you should use?

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:50:41 PM
TheMegaman (34)
(R R) < Meka Chicken >
United States

All IKEA. Kind of pricey I guess, but it suits my taste. Hopefully my pic spawns an idea or two.

Have fun.

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:27:45 AM
sorethumbs (28)
Alberta
Hey guys, finally had a chance to post some pics of my new shelves from ikea. They cost about 90 each after adding the glass shelving and wall mount, but worth every penny. NES, SNES and N64 CIBs fit perfectly and the glass doors keeps the dust away without hiding anything. I'm currently looking into some cabinet lighting solutions that would make them even better I just hope ikea doesn't discontinue them before I buy like 10 more lol

Edit: also posted a pic of my workstation shelving made from 1x6 pine that really comes in handy to keep organized

Edited: 08/03/2014 at 12:39 AM by sorethumbs

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:28:11 AM
sorethumbs (28)
Alberta
So frustrating posting pics from my phone! Here's the main pic that got left out and sorry for the poor quality/sideways pics

Edited: 08/03/2014 at 12:44 AM by sorethumbs

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:53:24 AM
killerkobra (91)
(dean belmont) < Ridley Wrangler >
Alberta
So I thought I'd add some pics of my shelving and shelves.

First I'll start with the white "closet" shelves I used. I, like a lot of people, really love these shelves. they are mega easy to install, just make sure you screw into your wall studs when putting in the supports for extra strength. My wife and I found this out the hard way in out old house when our shelf collapsed. The house builders did not reinforce that shelf at all lol. Also the fact that they are see through is really great for me since I have limited space and a lot of system boxes. This way I can just still see what I have without shuffling stuff around.

I used this style of shelf above my badass zenith tv also. This is the corner style and again it's really easy to install. The only downside may be that they are a little on the pricy side but I totally love the look.

Next I'll chat about my "Frankenstien" Blizzard shelf. I call this a Frankenstien shelf because I reused old material from another cabinet I had. I actually used one of the cabinet doors to make it. Again I made sure I reinforced it in every way and screw I to all the studs my old basement game room had a few Frankenstein shelves so I figured I'd make on for my current game room.

Here's another Frankenstein shelf I made for my consoles. Almost all my systems are on this shelf. Every system is connect to my tv there a selector switch system. Again I have limited space in this room so I had to get creative.

So I also have 4 bookshelves that have gone through a number of changes over the years. I originally had 5 but moved one to my big room of my basement once I got my glorious WoN display cabinet. So what I'd do us just buy book shelves that were on sale. I'd then just move/modify/add/paint shelves as needed.

One of them currently is double sided just to create more space.

This closet space I just recently started to utilize. This center shelf was already in the closet when I moved in and now it's home to almost 600 Xbox and ps2 games. You can also see the grey cabinet too. This was my parents Vinyl/8-track stereo stand from the 1970s. In the 90s my brother painted it and used it for his stereo at the time. Then I acquired it and for some reason could never get rid of it. Since I got it it's been my video game system shelf for years. It's great because it's on wheels and can be pulled out of the closet to access the stuff behind it.

Note - I love seeing empty shelf space

This is a rack I made inside the closet to hang my extra controllers on.

Here's another set of shelves I quickly put of with left over glass from my WoN display can. I wanted a specific spot for some of my video game related action figures.

And last but not least my glorious World of Nintendo display cabinet. I made a thread about this one already and you can read more here.

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Cannot compete with an original Nintendo display cabinet

Edited: 08/03/2014 at 01:55 AM by killerkobra

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:30:49 PM
friendorfoe (12)
(Baxter worthington) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Wow... Just wow.

NES - 231/677 SNES - 126/721 N64 - 289/296

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:16:49 AM
killerkobra (91)