Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

My Collection of Nintendo Dev/Test Equipment Pics Added of Rare SNES Proto Carts & GC Dev Units **Update 07/23/18

May 14, 2017 at 9:48:37 PM
Scorpiator (0)
(Joseph Piddington) < Cherub >
Michigan
Very nice collection! I hope to have a fraction of what you have some day! Also, when did you start collecting dev stuff?

-------------------------

May 23, 2017 at 3:06:35 PM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
Originally posted by: Scorpiator

Very nice collection! I hope to have a fraction of what you have some day! Also, when did you start collecting dev stuff?

Thanks appreciate the enthusiasm in my collection! Have been collecting DEV equipment and protos for around 10 years now. Would say though about 5 years ago is when it really took off for me though. It has had it's ups and downs over the years. Nothing feels better then finding a new item not known to exist and sharing it with fellow collectors. This year discovered a DEV unit for NES which seems to be as rare as hen's teeth. It was one of the highlights for me looking back on this past year. What was the one piece in the collection that was your favorite or maybe top 3 of the collection?

FS/FT/FO: Nintendo Handhelds, Demos/NFRs, Development Equipment, Prototypes, and more http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...
Always looking to buy Nintendo Not For Resale titles, Promo items, Development/Test Equipment, and Nintendo Platform Prototypes.

May 23, 2017 at 4:28:41 PM
Scorpiator (0)
Michigan
Originally posted by: JaxsBox

Thanks appreciate the enthusiasm in my collection! Have been collecting DEV equipment and protos for around 10 years now. Would say though about 5 years ago is when it really took off for me though. It has had it's ups and downs over the years. Nothing feels better then finding a new item not known to exist and sharing it with fellow collectors. This year discovered a DEV unit for NES which seems to be as rare as hen's teeth. It was one of the highlights for me looking back on this past year. What was the one piece in the collection that was your favorite or maybe top 3 of the collection?

My favorite piece in your collection would be the Gamecube Development System, I will get one of these some day. I want to have a collection full of Gamecube dev Equitment, I already have an NPDP unit but no carts! Next would have to be the Orca Ver 2.0 Gamecube I've never seen any Gamecube dev equitment like this. Do you have any information on this? I'm interested in it, I would love to read more on it. I tried searching for more on it but I couldn't find anything. The SCT SHVC is extremely unique, I would lke to read more on this too. The coolest thing about these are that if you search for something nothing comes up, that just shows how rare it is! You could start a museum with all this! What I want to know is what are your favorite things in your collection? Also do you have any tips on finding dev equitment? or is it just Ebay?

Jul 3, 2017 at 10:14:43 AM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States

Originally posted by: JaxsBox

My favorite piece in your collection would be the Gamecube Development System, I will get one of these some day. I want to have a collection full of Gamecube dev Equitment, I already have an NPDP unit but no carts! Next would have to be the Orca Ver 2.0 Gamecube I've never seen any Gamecube dev equitment like this. Do you have any information on this? I'm interested in it, I would love to read more on it. I tried searching for more on it but I couldn't find anything. The SCT SHVC is extremely unique, I would lke to read more on this too. The coolest thing about these are that if you search for something nothing comes up, that just shows how rare it is! You could start a museum with all this! What I want to know is what are your favorite things in your collection? Also do you have any tips on finding dev equitment? or is it just Ebay?

It's cool you mention the idea about the museum. Once was in the works of trying to open a game store with another local guy. The plan was to have a small section of the store dedicated to some of the unique items from my collection. One of the things that draws me most to collecting in the preservation of certain areas of Nintendo. One of those areas is dev equipment which has a spotty following when it comes to the actual systems. Toms of collectors have gotten into protos but the systems are a lot more bulky. Also many of the systems are useless without the operating software. Think that is also one of the things that drew me to them is the constant hunt in piecing them together.

As for tips on finding dev equipment the most practical is eBay and CL. Over the years meet a ton of developers and people in the industry. Which helped me obtain a developers license with Nintendo. Also these connections help me source out some bulk purchases and software finds not possible off eBay. Best bet is to link up with someone in the know and ride their coat tails for as long as necessary to find what you want. Some of these collectors doubles can fall in your lap for a great price. Best of luck on the hunt and appreciate the feedback!

FS/FT/FO: Nintendo Handhelds, Demos/NFRs, Development Equipment, Prototypes, and more http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...
Always looking to buy Nintendo Not For Resale titles, Promo items, Development/Test Equipment, and Nintendo Platform Prototypes.

Aug 9, 2017 at 9:00:10 PM
Scorpiator (0)
Michigan
Wow! That is very fascinating! What does this developers license do for you?

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:29:25 AM
Myria (0)

< Cherub >
What is the first letter of the DSi XL (UTL) "panda" unit's serial number? I wanted to fill in the chart here:

https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Seria...

By the way, your pictures have a CTR (Old 3DS non-XL) panda unit incorrectly labeled as a TWL (DSi) panda unit.

Edited: 09/20/2017 at 01:32 AM by Myria

Jul 21, 2018 at 9:27:53 AM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
New items added!

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:54:07 AM
marksimons (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
That’s so cool that you have an nes dev system! I’m not so knowledgeable about these kinds of things, so how does it work? Did it come with like any software or anything on building graphics or anything like that? If so, do you use like a 386 pc with it? Or is it something that just plays like EPROMs or something? So cool, I’ve never seen one!

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:47:06 AM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
Originally posted by: marksimons

That’s so cool that you have an nes dev system! I’m not so knowledgeable about these kinds of things, so how does it work? Did it come with like any software or anything on building graphics or anything like that? If so, do you use like a 386 pc with it? Or is it something that just plays like EPROMs or something? So cool, I’ve never seen one!
Many years ago prior to buying this NES dev unit   I stumbled onto seller who had some misc dev equipment. After a few emails back and forth the seller told me he had a friend in the industry for many years. This is how he came to have the dev equipment in which we were working a deal on. After the purchase was finalized he mention having software for multiple platforms back to NES and through to Wii. We struck a second deal to purchase the massive lot of software. With that purchase was able to complete every dev kit in the collection and have since bought. It was one of the biggest scores to come my way.  

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:06:59 PM
marksimons (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Oh that is so awesome dude! That is such a cool piece that I or probably many people have never seen before! What’s the software like? Is it software from like a specific company in how they would go about making games or is the software from Nintendo (If it’s another company, you don’t have to give me the name. Wether it be for legal reasons or whatnot. It would be so cool to see a YouTube video on how the dev system works! Obviously if you can’t for legal reasons, privacy or whatver that’s totally understandable. What kinda of does it run off of? I think I read somewhere that some games were made on a sharp 68000? I could be completely wrong with that one. Totally cool though man!

Jul 25, 2018 at 8:31:26 AM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States

Oh that is so awesome dude! That is such a cool piece that I or probably many people have never seen before! What’s the software like? Is it software from like a specific company in how they would go about making games or is the software from Nintendo (If it’s another company, you don’t have to give me the name. Wether it be for legal reasons or whatnot. It would be so cool to see a YouTube video on how the dev system works! Obviously if you can’t for legal reasons, privacy or whatver that’s totally understandable. What kinda of does it run off of? I think I read somewhere that some games were made on a sharp 68000? I could be completely wrong with that one. Totally cool though man!
Software was from a guy who was friends with a guy who had a great deal of access. He gave me a series of thumb drives with all of the software for both Nintendo and some companies used by developers for audio/video needs not offered by Nintendo. Imagine if all the software was on original discs it would be worth 10s of thousands of dollars. Also have a few dozen videos from NMI meetings and conferences. In total there are 100s of hours of videos and a stretch of 20+ years of software.

Jul 25, 2018 at 10:11:10 PM
marksimons (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
That's unbelievably Incredible. The best nes documentary could be made with what you possess. Hold onto and keep that stuff safe bud. Back up those thumb drives and all that software too. Those types of things need to be saved!

Nov 4, 2018 at 10:05:29 AM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States

That's unbelievably Incredible. The best nes documentary could be made with what you possess. Hold onto and keep that stuff safe bud. Back up those thumb drives and all that software too. Those types of things need to be saved!
Have for many years now wanted a game store with an attached museum focusing on protos, dev equipment, kiosks, signs, displays, advertisements, promos, and of course handhelds. Over the years have been able to really come across a ton of cool items that I feel worth sharing with fellow enthusiasts.  

Nov 26, 2018 at 2:54:45 AM
marksimons (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
I would absolutely LOVE if someone ever had something like that. If you ever make a YouTube video talking about nes dev equipment, please link me to it! I’d absolutely love to see that

Dec 16, 2018 at 9:11:04 PM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
Updated

Jan 12 at 3:35:22 PM
Hiccup (0)

< Cherub >
England
Do any of your DSi/3DS dev units contain any proto software?

Jan 17 at 12:06:20 PM
Sorn (41)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
Hey Jaxs, what is the SCT SHVC used for? Never seen that before...

btw so dope you have multiple gangwriters. 

THPS sucks

Edited: 01/17/2019 at 01:03 PM by Sorn

Feb 01 at 7:59:11 PM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
Originally posted by: Sorn

Hey Jaxs, what is the SCT SHVC used for? Never seen that before...

btw so dope you have multiple gangwriters. 

That was used to check the data on games to make sure they were complete did functional. Think I have a topic made that goes over it on here. It could also have been on assemblers which if it was is long gone. 

Feb 02 at 10:59:53 PM
Kuriatsu (1)

< Little Mac >
What are the GBA dev carts? There were about....8? The boards above them were 1 GB dev cart and 8 Sram boards I assume.