Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

5 screw games

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:21:01 PM
xtremegamer (188)
(Lenny Laserdisc) < Ridley Wrangler >
Missouri
Just picked up 13 5 screw games, didn't know if any of these are worth more than the 3 screw version:

Karate Champ
Donkey Kong Jr. Math
Legend of Zelda
Ghosts N' Goblins
Elevator Action
Gumshoe
Solmon's Key
Legend of Kage
Rad Racer
Chubby Cherub
Popeye
Wrecking Crew
Slalom

All are loose, picked these up for $4 each.  How did I do?

-------------------------

Paaaaper!  Have you ever seen paper?  Look at it, smell it!

Nov 1, 2007 at 5:20:39 PM
NOFRIENDO-banned (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Chad Tukiendorf) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
If the LOZ 5 screw is in good shape,It might be worth about $5 more than a 3 screw cart.-Chad

Nov 1, 2007 at 5:58:39 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
All of these are relatively common. Zelda's scarce comparatively (it's just got such a long production run that only 1 in 10 LOZ carts are 5-screw) but there's more floating around than, let's say, 5-screw Elevator Actions. To pick an arbitrary one.

Chubby Cherub and DKJr Math are 5-screw only (that we know of).

Really, most 5-screw carts are actually much more available than their 3-screw rereleased counterparts. With no coverage in NP, rental stores already stocked with them and "newer" games getting purchaser's dollars, trusty old favorites still brought in money but nowhere near as much. So second and third (or more) releases were always smaller batches.

It's a cool subset but as far as variants being "worth" more, that really hasn't materialized and I don't believe it will. With the exception of the real outliers like the heretofore undiscovered Gyro, DK & DKJr 3-scr I don't think there's really any margin. Perhaps for some of the harder to find black-label 3-screw oval-seal ones they might be worth one "grade" higher. Instead of a $0.99 common value, it's $4.99 uncommon value, or soforth.

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:17:05 PM
xtremegamer (188)
(Lenny Laserdisc) < Ridley Wrangler >
Missouri
Don't really see many 5 screw games in my area, that's really what sparked this thread as it is uncommon for me to find.  Most games for NES I find around here are the same games over and over.  This was kinda an odd day for me.  Never seen CC in the wild before today.

Paaaaper!  Have you ever seen paper?  Look at it, smell it!

Nov 1, 2007 at 11:55:54 PM
mb7241 (183)
(Matt B.) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Yeah, around here, 5-screw games aren't so easily found. I still remember the first time I ever saw a 5-screw gold Zelda...it wasn't more than about 2 years ago at a local Rhino (of course, now GameStop). It was then that I realized NES games had variants, just like Atari 2600 games did, though not nearly as many, heh heh. Of course, I didn't exactly become a variant collector until a certain couple variant collectors here (let's just say one inspiration was this one guy with a CIB copy and a sealed copy of FFF AW, and the other guy was a somewhat local guy with a complete blue and black set of Color Dreams titles...you know who you are ) kinda inspired me to go after the variants. I'm glad I did...I have a boxed copy of a 3-screw/no-code Donkey Kong Jr. to show for it .

Answering any and all questions related to video game collecting.  Guaranteed true and honest answers from a man with nearly 20 years in the community.  Prices for these answers vary depending on the question.  For all inquiries, please PM me.

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:21:39 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I have several cheap 5 screw games in my sell thread if anyone is interested. I will let them go cheapo
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Nov 2, 2007 at 11:57:59 AM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
Damnit... glad we inspired you but didn't want to do it at the expense of my collection as you have the only Black Box BOX now that I know I don't have... ARGH!

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Nov 2, 2007 at 10:07:36 PM
NOFRIENDO-banned (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Chad Tukiendorf) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin

You can thank me for that.....lol

Nov 2, 2007 at 10:55:43 PM
antofarabia (106)
(Papa Smurf) < Kraid Killer >
Georgia
Originally posted by: xtremegamer

Just picked up 13 5 screw games, didn't know if any of these are worth more than the 3 screw version:

Karate Champ - ask for money back
Donkey Kong Jr. Math - good deal
Legend of Zelda - good deal
Ghosts N' Goblins - okay
Elevator Action - ask for money back
Gumshoe - okay
Solmon's Key -okay
Legend of Kage - ask for money back
Rad Racer - ask for money back
Chubby Cherub - good deal
Popeye - okay
Wrecking Crew - okay
Slalom - ask for money back

All are loose, picked these up for $4 each.  How did I do?

They call me big Papa ....