Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sealed Collecting Questions Wata/VGA Advice, Authentic vs. Reseal Help, etc.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:12:12 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Now get brutal

I recently acquired a sealed Super Mario World; I am no expert in sealed games. Can any verify if this is legit? Pictures are linked below - I can take more if need be. Thanks for the help!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5iu4m1vm93x4v0m/AAAIcWvQKSz-6HRHe...
It's legit.

-------------------------
WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:15:35 AM
Now get brutal (32)
(Adam ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
Originally posted by: jonebone

Originally posted by: Now get brutal

I recently acquired a sealed Super Mario World; I am no expert in sealed games. Can any verify if this is legit? Pictures are linked below - I can take more if need be. Thanks for the help!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5iu4m1vm93x4v0m/AAAIcWvQKSz-6HRHe...
It's legit.

Awesome   Thank you!

Nintendo 64 cart only collection 296/296. Completed 2/4/17.

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:57:42 AM
dgco86 (1)

< Cherub >
Singapore
Hi everyone.

I just purchased my very first VGA 90 item from a well known seller on eBay and while I am pretty happy with the item in general, I was a bit surprised to see these 2 white marks on the bottom edge of the box. They look like spots where the box art might have been torn or rubbed off. Everything else about the box looks great to me.

Is there a chance that VGA might have missed these during grading, or is this not considered significant enough to affect the overall grade?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Edited: 01/27/2017 at 08:21 AM by dgco86

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:42:35 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Would need a lot more pics to give an opinion. At the end of the day though, VGA is just giving you their opinion and grades can be subjective. You'd expect a 90 to look pretty good to the eye test though. If that is the only blemish on a large graded system (like a Wii U Zelda edition), 90 could be reasonable, but if that is a blemish on a tiny DS game, then I'd expect a harsher grade.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:23:02 AM
dgco86 (1)

< Cherub >
Singapore
Originally posted by: jonebone

Would need a lot more pics to give an opinion. At the end of the day though, VGA is just giving you their opinion and grades can be subjective. You'd expect a 90 to look pretty good to the eye test though. If that is the only blemish on a large graded system (like a Wii U Zelda edition), 90 could be reasonable, but if that is a blemish on a tiny DS game, then I'd expect a harsher grade.

Thanks jonebone, I've attached a few more pictures to my original post. Will take a few more when time permits. As you can see, the item in question (Xenoblade Chronicles X Special Edition) is relatively large and aside from a bit of wear on the corners and the aforementioned white marks I don't really see anything too major.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:29:54 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Looks like you bought that from Rarebucky, haha. Yeah I'd say VGA already factored that into their grade then. If you have a large surface area, while the flaw is quite noticeable to the eye, it is really a tiny percentage of the overall presentation of the item. Also looks like it is located in a relatively inconspicuous area, as opposed to right in the middle of the front of the box.

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:20:08 AM
dgco86 (1)

< Cherub >
Singapore
Yup, I did get it from rarebucky. Good to know that the VGA 90 on my copy is warranted. Thanks for your help!

Jan 30, 2017 at 9:14:20 AM
clr2k (14)

< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: dgco86

Yup, I did get it from rarebucky. Good to know that the VGA 90 on my copy is warranted. Thanks for your help!

bucky usually got good grades on items which deserve a lower grading if they were send my someone else   I think his father is Chad Thompson

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:51:18 PM
Allegro (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
South Carolina
I've got a quick question for those who are more in the know than me: did they start sealing GBA games differently at some point in the console's life, or did certain developers seal their games differently? I've got two sealed GBA games (Drill Dozer and Boktai 2) that have the horizontal seam in the back, and I've been looking at a sealed MegaMan Battle Chip Challenge, but it doesn't have the seam in the back and seems to have a lot of excess plastic on the sides. I was thinking it was a reseal until I saw another person selling a copy that they hadn't removed the plastic from that exhibits the same traits.

I did notice that the box (in both cases) has a flap bottom instead of the typical GBA/GB tabbed bottom, which is just like my Sonic Advance 2 box. Did they seal those specific kinds of boxes differently for some reason?

Edited: 02/08/2017 at 06:52 PM by Allegro

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:33:43 PM
Alder (52)
(Tom B.) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Anyone know if this seal is legitimate? Not looking to VGA it, I'm just curious cause I thought all GBC games had H-seams.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dave-Mirr... Y4AAOSwcUBYI9uT

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:48:41 PM
Alder (52)
(Tom B.) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Another Game Boy seal question:

I have two GBA games. Both the same game. One has an H-seam and the other has a .. different seam. It's pinched together on the left, bottom, and right sides of the box, and I can see small vent holes on the front and back.

I'm assuming both are legit seals, but I'm curious if anyone has more info on GB/GBC/GBA seal variations.

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

May 7, 2017 at 2:38:12 PM
BreaKBeatZ (59)
< Lolo Lord >
District of Columbia
I recently bought a sealed StarCraft Collector's Edition (PC game) on ebay and was told by the VGA that it's a reseal. The guy who sold it to me seemed genuinely shocked and the VGA asked me if I wanted to see if it could receive a Qualified grade. I said yes because it was of no extra cost, but I figured that someone who scammed me with an resealed game wouldn't include all of the original contents and an unplayed CD. Surprisingly, I just received news from the VGA that it received a Qualified grade of 85. On one hand, that's good news, but on another, I'm questioning whether the game was truly a reseal to begin with. The VGA told me "unfortunately as shown in the picture, the tape on one side has been cut and the box shows some white creases which is a sign of previously being opened."

I don't know what they mean about tape being cut anywhere, and I don't think the "white creases" are necessarily proof of the game being opened. I've only submitted a few games to the VGA, but 2 of them were also sticker sealed big box PC games, and the box underneath the sticker looks similar on them. Do you think the VGA made a mistake here? Is there any way I can ask a different VGA grader to take a second look at it? Thanks in advance for any help, I've wanted this game for YEARS and it really sucks to have this happen.

Edited: 05/07/2017 at 02:38 PM by BreaKBeatZ

May 11, 2017 at 5:27:45 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
VGA hasn't responded to my question yet so maybe someone here would know. Would VGA grade a sealed Steel Battalion game only?

The game was only available in big box bundle but obviously I don't want a stupid 4 foot wide plastic case around that, I just want to grade the game. I want SB, SB:LoC, and SB:HA lined up, but wouldn't bother if they won't grade the main game.

Edit: Well, two weeks and no response. Doesn't seem like the kind of company I want to ship off my sealed games to in case I have a problem.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Edited: 05/22/2017 at 03:29 PM by DefaultGen

May 18, 2017 at 9:51:46 AM
Jmason333 (2)
(Justin Andrew Mason) < Little Mac >
Kentucky
So, this was my first time dealing with VGA, and honestly, I'm less than impressed. I'm wondering if anyone else had similar issues, or if maybe my expectations were set too high?

I sent in two games and paid for the top tier for both. I was very careful to fill out all the paperwork properly, followed all the instructions on the website, etc.

The two items I sent in were:

** NIB Solstice for NES for Grading + Case + Full Report + High Res Photos

** And a Solstice Prototype cartridge for Case + High Res Photos

The NIB order went fairly smoothly, and as I expected, in a couple weeks I got my 80+ NM graded case in for that one. No complaints there.

The prototype cart (sent separately) however was a very different experience.

After waiting nearly twice as long for a response. I was contacted via e-mail and informed that the VGA no longer does loose cartridges – not even prototypes. This confused me as I can literally Google search dozens of "NG" labeled VGA-sealed prototype cartridges. Not to mention, their website provides specific instructions on the page of what options to fill out on the form and how to send a prototype cartridge.

When I asked why they couldn't do it, they wouldn't respond with more than "it's not a service we offer any longer".

Okay, fine – I guess – though I'm a bit curious as to why they stopped.

I was given the option to still have it sealed up and have the high resolution photographs taken. So I agreed to that.

They never took the photos. Apparently they forgot despite my being invoiced and having paid for it. Kind of irks me as now the cart is sealed up tight. Still waiting to hear back from them about what to do about getting my money back for the photo fee.

Then, the case shows up. There's no label – as I assumed from the initial "we don't do that anymore", but on top of that the case they put it in obscures the front of the cartridge, right over top of the most visually-interesting part of the cartridge. I honestly can't believe that any collector-centric professional would let this pass. (See below)

I'm a bit disappointed at the service I received (and didn't receive yet paid for), and for the misinformation on their own website that prompted me to send it in. I basically dropped $70 (+ 25 shipping) for a $20 case, and a waste of my time.

Has anyone else run into this kind of experience? Does anyone have any ideas as to why they stopped doing NG labels for prototypes?

-- Justin

---   ---   ---
I am interested in acquiring "Solstice" NES related items. Please, check out my Solstice collection and "buy list" for more info: http://staffofdemnos.com/list/...
Have something not already on the list? Let me know! You can also follow my project -- "Solstice: Quest for the Staff of Demnos - Historical Project" on Facebook.
---   ---   ---

May 18, 2017 at 1:43:53 PM
Funkatron (1)

< Little Mac >
my guess is whoever was verifying the protos probly got sick of dealing with the company...probly over money... but what do i know, just seems like a fair assumption.

* glad i read this though i was thinking about sending in a couple myself eventually.... sucks, but honestly they have always been quick about my orders,and the couple times i emailed them, i got replys in a couple hours...just my expierence with VGA

Edited: 05/18/2017 at 01:47 PM by Funkatron

May 18, 2017 at 2:00:28 PM
Funkatron (1)

< Little Mac >
Recently got this, exile:wicked phenomenon from the eiketsu collection, i think i got a good deal on it, i love auctions sometimes lol, love the cover and impossibly hard levels!
and yea i know 75 big deal but got to appreciate low rated rare games still!!!!! atleast i do  heres my splathouse 3 75 ive had for a while, which i love even more than exile lol SEGA FOR LIFE lol

im sure you guys have seen em before, but see them again! lol

May 20, 2017 at 1:56:13 PM
yukfou (107)
(Great Dragon) < King Solomon >
Maryland
ignore

My WTB thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 05/21/2017 at 07:43 PM by yukfou

May 21, 2017 at 7:44:50 PM
yukfou (107)
Maryland
Alright I finally was able to upload pics.

Calling all gb/gbc collectors! I need help figuring out if this is a seal or reseal. Let me know. Thanks!

My WTB thread

Edited: 05/21/2017 at 07:47 PM by yukfou

May 21, 2017 at 8:50:09 PM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
I can confirm not all gbc have h seam, looks legit.

Edited: 05/21/2017 at 08:53 PM by alekx

May 21, 2017 at 8:54:36 PM
alekx (108)
Alberta
Can anyone verify y-fold seals on gba?

May 22, 2017 at 6:30:57 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Originally posted by: yukfou

Alright I finally was able to upload pics.

Calling all gb/gbc collectors! I need help figuring out if this is a seal or reseal. Let me know. Thanks!

Obvious reseal, wear under the wrap.  This game came H-Seam anyway.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1725816806...

Originally posted by: alekx

I can confirm not all gbc have h seam, looks legit.
You shouldn't be giving advice if you can't spot a reseal.

May 22, 2017 at 4:21:07 PM
alekx (108)
Alberta
^ im just being helpful. Not all gameboy color games came h-seam do you deny this?

May 22, 2017 at 4:36:07 PM
yukfou (107)
Maryland
Okay so is it definitely a reseal or possibly​ a non h seal variant? If it's a reseal I'm going to crack it open but obviously I wouldn't want to open this if it's a legit seal

My WTB thread

May 22, 2017 at 4:38:50 PM
alekx (108)
Alberta

Okay so is it definitely a reseal or possibly​ a non h seal variant? If it's a reseal I'm going to crack it open but obviously I wouldn't want to open this if it's a legit seal

All I know is I have seen seals similar to that on gbc games and have been told they are legit. If i am misinformed I would love to know maybe not in such a way where I am basically told to fuck off for trying to be helpful by a moderator.

May 22, 2017 at 5:43:48 PM
yukfou (107)
Maryland
Originally posted by: alekx

All I know is I have seen seals similar to that on gbc games and have been told they are legit. If i am misinformed I would love to know maybe not in such a way where I am basically told to fuck off for trying to be helpful by a moderator.

gotcha. well I'll hold off for now then and maybe just buy a cart only copy. I just want to try this game out haha. It seems really cool and similar to dragon warrior monsters.

My WTB thread