Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Turbografx 16 Collecting

Jul 27, 2015 at 4:34:39 PM
D~Funk (81)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon
Just getting into collecting for Turbografx after all these years. Wanted to create this thread to sort of document my collection over the next year or so and also to encourage discussion about the system.

Growing up i never even heard of the Turbografx until seeing an add in a christmas catalog for the handheld and thinkin it was cool! Never had 1 friend with the system but then again, I grew up in a small town. Kids i knew played nintendo. Only knew 2 people with Genesis. I had heard later on that turbo was mainly marketed in bigger cities so it makes sense.

Over the last few years i've been researching and thinking of jumping into collecting for the system. Wasn't till last week when I finally decided to pull the trigger. Got the system for a pretty good deal complete and basically like new! Then worked out a couple deals for these games.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the system so far. Only had Keith Courage for the first week. Even though it's a little underwhelming and repetitive I still enjoyed it. Finally beat it last night actually. The last boss had frustrated me into quiting the first couple trys. Really excited about all these games though! Big shooter fan so all these were a must! Look forward to putting some more time into everything and picking up some more titles! Turbo Duo is next in line!

Let's hear your Turbografx collecting stories or fond memories of the system. Post some pics and let us see your collections!

Round 2!

Finally Some Multi-player Action!

August 27th 2015 Update (Just Raiden):

August 30th 2015 Update:

December 14th 2015 Update:

April 18th 2016 Update:

-------------------------
"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

Edited: 04/18/2016 at 08:34 PM by D~Funk

Jul 27, 2015 at 4:41:38 PM
ShyGuyMcFly83 (2)
(David Lara) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Welcome to the club! That's a hell of a start to your collection. My wallet hurts just looking at that picture. I'm just not the kind of guy to drop a lot of cash on a game, so my TG16 collection has been pretty stagnant for the past year or so. I don't even remember what the last game I got for it was. But I do have quite a lot of the games I bought the system for, like Bonk, Splatterhouse, and a few different shooters. I'm currently looking for a Turbo Booster for a decent price, but haven't had any luck. I would love a Duo, or even an Express, but prices have just seemed to go up and up and up over the past couple years. Hopefully they come back down eventually. If not, my collection may have reached it's limit.

Come check me out on Twitch
ShyguyMcFly83

I try to stream daily around 9:30 PM CST

Twitter:
ShyguyMcFly83

Jul 27, 2015 at 4:56:55 PM
Silent Hill (131)
(A-A-Ron ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Never knew what a Turbografx was growing up and only found out about it probably around 2007-ish.

It's near impossible to find games for it locally so a majority of mine have come from lots online or local trades.

I've had a TG-16 for a few years now and I had it modded for S-Video (HUGE upgrade over RF and I assume it's better than the Turbo booster)

I recently picked up a recapped PC Engine Duo as I wanted to get into CD based games. First two games I picked up were Rondo of Blood and Ys Book I & II and I'll tell you what, it's amazing. I can't wait to get into some more import titles but collecting TG is definitely not easy on the wallet.

My collection so far:

TG-16 (S-Video modded)
PC Engine Duo

Aero Blasters
Air Zonk
Alien Crush
Blazing Lasers
Bloody Wolf
Bonk's Adventure
Bonk's Revenge
Devil's Crush
Final Lap Twin
Galaga 90
Keith Courage
Legendary Axe
Legendary Axe II
Military Madness
Neutopia
New Adventure Island
Ninja Spirit
Parasol Stars
R-Type
Sidearms
Splatterhouse
Turrican

CD:

Rondo of Blood
Ys Book I & II

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:09:24 PM
Viper0hr (81)
(Ryan R) < Ridley Wrangler >
Florida
My TG 16 collection so far.

Amazing start to your set for sure, those damn outer boxes are so hard to get in nice shape.

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:33:31 PM
D~Funk (81)
Oregon
Thanks guys! And nice collection Viper!
I'm hoping to get the booster and things in the box as well! Also plan to get all the games complete with the outer box. I know it can be an expensive system to collect for especially trying to do it like that but it will also be fun! Not going for a complete set either. Just some fun games to play!

Jul 27, 2015 at 6:17:04 PM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
Welp, TG-16 and Turbo Duo, the only system(s) I never collected for but would love to. I am highly intrigued by the library of titles. I have a ton of respect to those who have a Turbo collection. Unfortunately, some of the most interesting titles on the Turbo Duo are also some of the most costly video games in existence.

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:43:18 PM
Pikkon (8)
(スーパーファミコンコレクター ) < Meka Chicken >
Florida
I use to have a turbografx 16 when it came out,my brother borrowed it and never saw it again,all I have is the damn box it came in.

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:50:16 PM
LAMRN15 (3)
< Meka Chicken >
Arkansas
Here's our stuff. We started with the base TG16, got it, Air Zonk, and Cratermaze for $70 back in 2008 or so. Added the PC Engine Duo R after we got married, he bought it on eBay and it was already RGB modded with a new laser installed. He later region modded it himself. It's our primary playing system. Somehow, we ended up with 2 TG16+ CD add-ons, one is on display, the other sits in the closet in the case for a possible trade, should it ever arise. Husband bought a broke Turbo Express from a guy online and he fixed it by replacing the capacitors. The Turbo Duo was really the last piece of hardware we wanted, so I bought it a couple years ago and he replaced the capacitors and it's as good as new. He's thought about RGB modding it, but it's kinda pointless right now, since the PC Engine is our main. I don't play too much with any of this, it's mostly for him, though I can appreciate a lot of the games. As you can see, he enjoys shooters a lot. It's a small collection by some peoples' standards, but it's a pretty solid one. We built it before things skyrocketed in price. And we really don't have any issue with just getting imports for games with little text, since they're often a lot cheaper. Lot of good Japan exclusives, too. 

Better view of imports and stuff that wasn't visible from the shelf: 

My collection: https://spreadsheets.google.com/s...

I'm a PC/console/handheld gamer and retro collector!

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:09:19 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
I have a modded duo, CIB turbo express and a whole bunch of games. Great system to collect for, it is going to retain its value.

www.videogamesage.com...

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:13:41 PM
Warbucks (5)
(Dan ) < Lolo Lord >
Florida
Welcome to the club..
Nice games to start off with.

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:58:57 AM
ASAP_Zonk (4)
(AJ ) < Meka Chicken >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: dqualls187

Just getting into collecting for Turbografx after all these years. Wanted to create this thread to sort of document my collection over the next year or so and also to encourage discussion about the system. Growing up i never even heard of the Turbografx until seeing an add in a christmas catalog for the handheld and thinkin it was cool! Never had 1 friend with the system but then again, I grew up in a small town. Kids i knew played nintendo. Only knew 2 people with Genesis. I had heard later on that turbo was mainly marketed in bigger cities so it makes sense. Over the last few years i've been researching and thinking of jumping into collecting for the system. Wasn't till last week when I finally decided to pull the trigger. Got the system for a pretty good deal complete and basically like new! Then worked out a couple deals for these games. I'm thoroughly enjoying the system so far. Only had Keith Courage for the first week. Even though it's a little underwhelming and repetitive I still enjoyed it. Finally beat it last night actually. The last boss had frustrated me into quiting the first couple trys. Really excited about all these games though! Big shooter fan so all these were a must! Look forward to putting some more time into everything and picking up some more titles! Turbo Duo is next in line! Let's hear your Turbografx collecting stories or fond memories of the system. Post some pics and let us see your collections!

Funny thing is I have a better Turbo Collection Then NES I Have:
Bomberman
Air Zonk
Legendary Axe 2 With The Cardboard Box And Foam 
Parasol Stars
Both Bonks
Super Star Solider
& more

I also have a system OG Power & RF , the tap 5 controllers , the booster (Which I don't use since I have it on my RF NES TV) 
& A express.

Owner of Zonk's Retro Games 178 Main St Butler NJ 

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:09:23 AM
RpgCollector (128)
(Jeff Oconnell) < Kraid Killer >
California
I love Me some TG 16. It is the system I am collecting for right now. I am 22 away from a CIB HuCard set and 23 away from a complete in box CD set!

Down to the last 2 Sega Game Gear games I need for the CIB USA set. What I will pay for CIB:

Fantastic Dizzy -$300 & Sports Illustrated -$300

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:39:47 AM
abrahamh2 (56)
(Abraham Hernandez) < Meka Chicken >
Hawaii
Nice Start to an Expensive Endeavor I ain't going to lie love my Turbografx 16 collection but it feels like I'm collecting games for my Neo Geo AES which is even worse now luckily I'm going the MVS Converter Route. But the turbografx 16 has a personal place in my heart as it was my first post NES system purchase back in the day I chose it over a Sega Genesis Ahhhh. But I was happy with my purchase so that's what really counts. Can't stop playing Legendary Axe, and Cadash as they are games you can finish in an afternoon. I'll see if I have any dupes for you man. Keep up the nice work and welcome to the Turbografx 16 Club.

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:39:47 AM
abrahamh2 (56)
Hawaii
Nice Start to an Expensive Endeavor I ain't going to lie love my Turbografx 16 collection but it feels like I'm collecting games for my Neo Geo AES which is even worse now luckily I'm going the MVS Converter Route. But the turbografx 16 has a personal place in my heart as it was my first post NES system purchase back in the day I chose it over a Sega Genesis Ahhhh. But I was happy with my purchase so that's what really counts. Can't stop playing Legendary Axe, and Cadash as they are games you can finish in an afternoon. I'll see if I have any dupes for you man. Keep up the nice work and welcome to the Turbografx 16 Club.

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:40:42 AM
D~Funk (81)
Oregon
Originally posted by: LAMRN15

Here's our stuff. We started with the base TG16, got it, Air Zonk, and Cratermaze for $70 back in 2008 or so. Added the PC Engine Duo R after we got married, he bought it on eBay and it was already RGB modded with a new laser installed. He later region modded it himself. It's our primary playing system. Somehow, we ended up with 2 TG16+ CD add-ons, one is on display, the other sits in the closet in the case for a possible trade, should it ever arise. Husband bought a broke Turbo Express from a guy online and he fixed it by replacing the capacitors. The Turbo Duo was really the last piece of hardware we wanted, so I bought it a couple years ago and he replaced the capacitors and it's as good as new. He's thought about RGB modding it, but it's kinda pointless right now, since the PC Engine is our main. I don't play too much with any of this, it's mostly for him, though I can appreciate a lot of the games. As you can see, he enjoys shooters a lot. It's a small collection by some peoples' standards, but it's a pretty solid one. We built it before things skyrocketed in price. And we really don't have any issue with just getting imports for games with little text, since they're often a lot cheaper. Lot of good Japan exclusives, too. 

Better view of imports and stuff that wasn't visible from the shelf: 

Awesome collection! Soooooo, what ya'll wanna trade for one of them CD add ons?

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:42:11 AM
abrahamh2 (56)
Hawaii
Oh dsqualls if you want me to get all High and Preppy you ain't a Turbografx/PC Engine Collector without the Laseractive LD Rom Games and NEC Pacs . Just kidding keep the Turbo/ PC Engine love going .

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:44:24 AM
D~Funk (81)
Oregon
Originally posted by: abrahamh2

Thanks man! Let me know for sure! lease Just beat Cadash!! Almost beat Soldier Blade as well, them shoot em ups are tough! I'd played quite a bit of Soldier Blade and Super Star Soldier on my Vita but still havnt been able to beat em. Air Zonk is a blast! Love the music! Especially Level 2!!

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:45:13 AM
D~Funk (81)
Oregon
Originally posted by: abrahamh2

Oh dsqualls if you want me to get all High and Preppy you ain't a Turbografx/PC Engine Collector without the Laseractive LD Rom Games and NEC Pacs . Just kidding keep the Turbo/ PC Engine love going .

I don't even know what you just said but you special!

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:29:33 AM
LAMRN15 (3)
< Meka Chicken >
Arkansas

Haha, it'd have to be something pretty darn good, since those aren't cheap!

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:01:50 AM
Heartbreak7 (23)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
I've got around 32-33 HuCard games in their cases (I don't collect the boxes). I've got a base console and a turbo express as well. I think I'm pretty much done with what I want for the console, I enjoy it!

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:13:04 PM
D~Funk (81)
Oregon

Whatcha want? Whatcha need? Lets make a deal!

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:38:21 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
So it was 1992 I decided I wanted a new game system. I had a snes at a time, a C64, and I think I still had my nes, but for some reason I can't remember it. Not could I remember my 7800 or 2600, and they seemed to have vanished as a kid. Anyways I wanted a new system because while I could find many cool games on snes, the selection was making it hard to find good RPGs. At this point I was 14, making $3.25 tax free on the family's dairy farm, so if I wanted something like a game for $32.50, I knew it was 10 hours of work, and I would write down on a little chart how many hours I needed to get what games.

Because of this hours needed to get each game, I started looking at game dude. I looked at games I wanted, their cost used, and cost for the system, and the new Turbo Duo actually beat out sega for most games I wanted at a cheap price, so I ordered a used one. At this point it was out for a few months, so their "used" system was pretty much brand new. It was a great system, and it gave me many fond memories. It also cemented my importing habits that started with DBZ 2 on snes. I think the Duo was like $150, so it was 46+ hours of work for me. Since this was in the fall\winter when I started saving, that was weekends and after school. And damned cold I might add. Froze my ass off to get that thing.

So yea. I loved the Duo so much, I spent 50+ hours working in frozen cow shit to get one. Well worth it too.

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:12:16 PM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
I never knew about TG16 until games started appearing on the Wii's Virtual Console. It's definitely a cool console and one that makes a good collectable but my budget isn't nearly large enough to be able to afford a decent collection for it.

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:17:00 PM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
I think since I have no nostalgia connected to the TG16 or Turbo Duo, when I finally do find a TG-16 in the wild I'll probably just invest in a Turbo Everdrive. 
And--aside from the few Turbo Duo games I already have--if games in boxes happen to wander along my path I won't say no and I'll add them to the collection very, very slowly. 
Neutopia 1+2, Devil's Crush and Alien Crush are high on my wantlist.

Instagram
Wishlist

Edited: 07/28/2015 at 04:08 PM by NickTLG

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:56:34 PM
LAMRN15 (3)
< Meka Chicken >
Arkansas

Whatcha want? Whatcha need? Lets make a deal!

You got a trade list? I don't have a lot specific I want, since we're mostly done with retro collecting these days.