Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sealed Collecting Questions Wata/VGA Advice, Authentic vs. Reseal Help, etc.

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:36:53 AM
T3rra (85)
(Terra ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Originally posted by: acomicbookguyc

Originally posted by: Mindl3ss

I'm planning to pop my VGA cherry with some Zelda games. Pretty much the only series I care to have sealed.

Here's an album full of my Skyward Sword pics. What do you think it will grade as?
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c71/Mindlessmaggots/Zelda/

The only flaws I can see are on the top right side of the box where it's a little squished (when looking at the back) and near the white Wii logo. The second you can see best at the shot from the top.

Think it will be worth it?
That ding in the 5th picture will really ruin it. I don't think it will grade higher than 85 with just that ding. 

I would be pretty happy with an 85 I think. I'm not a condition snob, and it's not an investment.

Any other opinions? Responses seem slow for the time being.

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:02:30 AM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
^Well, we are talking a current Generation game, If you are going to spend the money to get it graded (which isn't cheap) then why wouldn't you hold out for a gold grade? Pretty silly not to, IMO

-------------------------
Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:18:33 AM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
I agree with the 85, If you can try and find one that would grade gold, or just send this one slow boat to keep your costs down if you really don't care about the grade.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:51:43 PM
acomicbookguyc (350)
(Cristian Romero ) < Bowser >
California
I agree with jd and Tom. Any newer gen stuff would be best in gold. How would my games grade guys?

Help me complete my N64 set!
225/296 Carts - 228/296 Manuals - 236/296 Boxes
http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

Edited: 02/18/2012 at 02:52 PM by acomicbookguyc

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:51:01 PM
rarebucky (178)

(Adam Buchwald) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Christian - that Skyward Sword bundle looks for sure gold - 85+/90. Looks awesome.

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:14:40 AM
T3rra (85)
(Terra ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Trade you, Christian

I won't say a higher grade on mine wouldn't be nice, I just don't know if I have the resources to track down a nicer one. I don't want to sell this one before I get a nicer one but I also don't want to spend the going rate for them. I got this one at launch.

So, if anyone is willing to trade (plus cash on my end) it would be ideal for me.

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:16:05 PM
acomicbookguyc (350)
California
Originally posted by: rarebucky

Christian - that Skyward Sword bundle looks for sure gold - 85+/90. Looks awesome.
Sweet! Thanks for the help bucky. Any idea on the rest?

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:09:23 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
I'd say GOLD on all except Radiant Historia (guessing 85)but does have a chance at GOLD still. I'd also say that Solatorobo is borderline too 85/85+. Other than that I would say you are looking at some solid gems.

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:12:13 PM
cartman (16)
(The Boss) < King Solomon >
Sweden
Since the Japanese games don't have any seal to begin with, does this mean that they are always in the "mint"-category of grading as opposed to the "new" one?

If yes, would there be an exception to that if someone where to send in one of those masterboxes (still sealed) with multiple games inside?

I also wonder if the grading-sticker from VGA differentiates between these 2 different categories?

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:22:23 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: cartman

Since the Japanese games don't have any seal to begin with, does this mean that they are always in the "mint"-category of grading as opposed to the "new" one?

If yes, would there be an exception to that if someone where to send in one of those masterboxes (still sealed) with multiple games inside?

I also wonder if the grading-sticker from VGA differentiates between these 2 different categories?

Most Japanese games fall into the "Standard" grading not the "Qualified" since they never came sealed...The sticker differentiates by adding "Qualified" on the sticker.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:28:18 PM
retrogamesuk (70)

(Adam K) < Meka Chicken >
United Kingdom
Anyone know if they will accept my G&W Carded ballon fight for grading?

Thanks!

Ship up or shape out - Darrell sheets

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:36:44 PM
cartman (16)
Sweden
Originally posted by: MinusWorlds

Most Japanese games fall into the "Standard" grading not the "Qualified" since they never came sealed...The sticker differentiates by adding "Qualified" on the sticker.

Do you know of any exceptions since you said "most"?

Where exactly on the sticker does it say "Qualified"? Looking at this picture:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/777zb.jpg/

I don't see it?

Edited: 02/20/2012 at 03:37 PM by cartman

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:48:53 PM
acomicbookguyc (350)
California
Scroll down a bit and look at Blarky's post with his qualified Mach Rider. Right under the NM+ it says "Qualified"

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:44:07 PM
cartman (16)
Sweden

Scroll down a bit and look at Blarky's post with his qualified Mach Rider. Right under the NM+ it says "Qualified"

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=2651&a...
So why doesn't the sealed game boy from the picture do it also? Here's the link to the auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NINTENDO-GAME-BOY-NEW-STICKER-SEALED...

EDIT: it also seems like most other games in the thread do not have that text under them...?

Edited: 02/20/2012 at 04:46 PM by cartman

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:12:26 PM
acomicbookguyc (350)
California

So why doesn't the sealed game boy from the picture do it also? Here's the link to the auction:

EDIT: it also seems like most other games in the thread do not have that text under them...?

That Game Boy has a sticker seal on it in place of cellophane. So you don't have access to the contents inside without tearing the sticker. Qualified means an individual has access to the contents inside. So what VGA does is check that all contents are indeed Brand New. 

Feb 20, 2012 at 9:16:41 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
When you hear "Factory Sealed" people assume Cello Wrap. Factory Sealed means how it came from the Factory, which could entail sticker seal, cello wrap, boxed items with games in bags on the inside (Super Famicom) etc. They will be graded as "Standard" if they are in the condition they came from the manufacturer.

As an example take that sticker sealed Gameboy, since the seal is intact (sticker) it received a Standard Grade. Now had the sticker been opened but the Gameboy was never used and "Brand New" that would receive a "Qualified" Grade. Also, if the seal were opened, and the Gameboy had evidence of use it would be flat out rejected.

Edited: 02/21/2012 at 11:04 AM by MinusWorlds

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:22:04 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States

When you hear "Factory Sealed" people assume Cello Wrap. Factory Sealed means how it came from the Factory, which could entail sticker seal, cello wrap, boxed items with games in bags on the inside (Super Famicom) etc. They will be graded as "Standard" if they are in the condition they came from the manafacturer.

As an example take that sticker sealed Gameboy, since the seal is intact (sticker) it received a Standard Grade. Now had the sticker been opened but the Gameboy was never used and "Brand New" that would receive a "Qualified" Grade. Also, if the seal were opened, and the Gameboy had evidence of use it would be flat out rejected.

If you sent in a case of a game or system that was never factory sealed but the case itself was sealed how would they grade that?

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:49:14 AM
acomicbookguyc (350)
California
Originally posted by: buyatari2

When you hear "Factory Sealed" people assume Cello Wrap. Factory Sealed means how it came from the Factory, which could entail sticker seal, cello wrap, boxed items with games in bags on the inside (Super Famicom) etc. They will be graded as "Standard" if they are in the condition they came from the manafacturer.

If you sent in a case of a game or system that was never factory sealed but the case itself was sealed how would they grade that?

Are you hinting at a case of Earthbound is coming our way 

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:17:25 AM
cartman (16)
Sweden

That Game Boy has a sticker seal on it in place of cellophane. So you don't have access to the contents inside without tearing the sticker. Qualified means an individual has access to the contents inside. So what VGA does is check that all contents are indeed Brand New. 

Yeah i know it's sealed, that's why it didn't make sense that sealed items are getting the text "Qualified" under them while this one wasn't. But you're saying that it's just the opposite: qualified is for non-sealed items?

But then again there's more confusion because how can they know that a game isn't only "mint"? Japanese sellers for example usually try the console/game and still list it as brand new, how is VGA gonna know? How can they know that the store also didn't power ut up once back in the day to check that it all works?

Also i think there's a difference between a game that never came sealed (Japanese) and an unsealed game that's still new. If both get the text "Qualified" then a person won't be able to know that the Japanese one wasn't really supposed to be sealed to begin with. This guy may very well pass up on it in hope of finding one that is in the future, wich will obviosuly never happen. I just think it would be smart to have an additional stamp/symbol differentiating between the 2 of them.

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:04:08 AM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: buyatari2

Uncirculated

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:09:02 AM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Yeah i know it's sealed, that's why it didn't make sense that sealed items are getting the text "Qualified" under them while this one wasn't. But you're saying that it's just the opposite: qualified is for non-sealed items?

But then again there's more confusion because how can they know that a game isn't only "mint"? Japanese sellers for example usually try the console/game and still list it as brand new, how is VGA gonna know? How can they know that the store also didn't power ut up once back in the day to check that it all works?

Also i think there's a difference between a game that never came sealed (Japanese) and an unsealed game that's still new. If both get the text "Qualified" then a person won't be able to know that the Japanese one wasn't really supposed to be sealed to begin with. This guy may very well pass up on it in hope of finding one that is in the future, wich will obviosuly never happen. I just think it would be smart to have an additional stamp/symbol differentiating between the 2 of them.
What sealed item received a "Qualified" grade? Qualified could pertain to either a game that was cello wrapped like Blarky's Mach Rider OR EarthBound such as my Q85 and Q85+ that were never cello wrapped.  No game is subject to one or the other.

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:30:40 AM
cartman (16)
Sweden

What sealed item received a "Qualified" grade? Qualified could pertain to either a game that was cello wrapped like Blarky's Mach Rider OR EarthBound such as my Q85 and Q85+ that were never cello wrapped.  No game is subject to one or the other.

I was refering to Blarky's Mach Rider. Are you saying that the type of sealing on that game isn't the original one from the factory, making it grade as "Qualified"?

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:35:40 AM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
No it was opened, never played that's why it received Qualified. They check the contact points for wear to determine if it was ever used.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:22:47 PM
cartman (16)
Sweden

No it was opened, never played that's why it received Qualified. They check the contact points for wear to determine if it was ever used.
Allright then. The contact points, is that the back of the cartridge on wich they they check if it has any scratches or is it something else? What about game boy consoles, those won't really show anything if they've been powered up only once?

Also i wonder about all these "Play It Loud" Game Boy's that get a high grade, batteries having not leaked. What happens the day they actually do leak (wich is inevitable from what i've heard)? Then the grade is basically worthless or what?

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:38:49 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands

Allright then. The contact points, is that the back of the cartridge on wich they they check if it has any scratches or is it something else? What about game boy consoles, those won't really show anything if they've been powered up only once?

Also i wonder about all these "Play It Loud" Game Boy's that get a high grade, batteries having not leaked. What happens the day they actually do leak (wich is inevitable from what i've heard)? Then the grade is basically worthless or what?

Hey man these are the contact points: