NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Nintendo Times Seeking Writers For Classic NES Reviews

Oct 19, 2016 at 4:39:29 PM
Craig Majaski (0)
(Craig Majaski) < Cherub >
Minnesota
Hi everybody!

I'm the founder and editor of Nintendo Times, a Nintendo-centric video game site that covers the world of Nintendo right now as well as 30 years ago today. The site has been up for a little over a year, and I've recently decided to try and add some extra writers to help contribute to the site. This wouldn't be a paid job, but if you're passionate about writing about Nintendo I hope you'll consider contributing!

The main area I need help with is covering and reviewing the classic NES games for the Warp Zone section of the site. This is set 30 years ago today, and as such it's a fun part to write for. Instead of being just another retro site or writing a retro review of a game, one must approach the writing process as if from that era. In other words, if you were to review a game like Super Mario Bros. as it came out, you'd need to compare it to what had come before it, and try not to be tainted by the fact that we know it received many sequels (many of which are arguably better). This can present a bit of a challenge for some games because it's human nature to right away compare a game like 10-Yard Football to Tecmo Bowl and give 10-Yard a low score. While that game in general may deserve a low score, it can't be due to Tecmo Bowl being better because if we're writing from that timeframe, Tecmo Bowl didn't exist yet.

As I am updating the site in real-time (albeit 30 years ago), we are just now entering the phase where third party support begins to kick in for the NES. In October of 1986 games like Chubby Cherub, M.U.S.C.L.E., Ninja Kid, and Tag Team Wrestling released. Next month 1942, Commando, Ghosts 'N Goblins, and Karate Champ come out, and in December Konami's first game for the system (Gradius) is released. While I played a lot of NES games back in the day (and still do today), I obviously didn't have the time or the money to play each and every title. So, if you have experience with the NES and love to write reviews, I would be grateful for the assistance.

If you're interested in writing for Nintendo Times, please contact me directly at: [email protected]. It would be helpful if you could send a sampling of your writing as well as what your history with the NES is. To write for Warp Zone it would be helpful if you had lived through that time and played the games as they actually released as that will give you a better understanding of the gaming landscape, however it's not a requirement.

Thanks for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from some of you out there! I appreciate it.

--Craig Majaski