Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Full set" fakers The harmful effects of the "have it your way" full set collecting style

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:17:53 AM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
Originally posted by: Friendsfa26

i feel the same way, but with people mislabeling their games as CIB, when they actually aren't....
i don't mean lesser items like registration cards (something we never really had included here in Europe)
but more inserts like for example the well known? MIMP figure + original smaller styrofoam piece....
if you have that game as "CIB" listed in your collection,
but are missing those 2 items, than you don't actually have a Monster In My Pocket CIB.......
just the styrofoam itself, doesn't count either.....

here in Europe we had Astérix on the NES, a CIB of this game ALWAYS has the same poster....
if you don't have it included, then you simply don't have it CIB....
same goes for the poster that comes with the Smurfs CIB for the NES....
Sounds to me like your CIB abbreviation = Complete In Box, but for many, CIB stands for Cartridge, Instructions, Box. Most collection lists allow you to separately place a check on C, I, and B, for games, as opposed to a CIB tag that replaces the C tag... so, I would speculate that most collectors see the abbreviation as having the latter definition. It's really a question of consensus and group norms.

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:20:09 AM
Loxx O))) (19)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
I never saw cart, instruction, box until I came here. To me it was always complete in box. Though, I don't really care about the flyers and other things that people want to have them as 'complete'. So having the cart, manual, and box was always complete enough for me.

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:20:46 AM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: Of games

"full licensed set minus SE" isn't a full licensed set and isn't really a set at all.

The set of 676 is as valid as the set of 677 or 768 or 804 or 805 or the black box set or the set of my childhood favorites. None are full sets. They're all just small subsets of the real "full set" of every single game that no person on Earth actually owns. Collectors divide things up into subsets because it is not possible to own every single cartridge ever made for NES and goals are fun.

-------------------------
Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Edited: 08/18/2017 at 10:21 AM by DefaultGen

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:26:05 AM
SilvertongueBullet (5)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
I have really no business posting in this thread whatsoever, but I don't understand why everyone gets so bent out of shape about full sets and whatnot. I think people should collect what they want or like out of the set or what they just have got to have. I might get attacked for this but I don't care...

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:33:39 AM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
What is this thread? lol

I collect how, what, when and where I want. "Why" I collect shouldn't be a problem. Likewise, how other people collect or what they define as a full set of something doesn't bother me.

I guess all that's left is "who" I collect... which sounds weird. lol

Since we're talking about "fakers":

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:35:09 AM
Loxx O))) (19)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
I don't think the point is that the OP is criticizing how people want to collect, it's that saying you have a 'full set' without owning every game ever produced is disingenuous.

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:34:45 AM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
I dunno if we can split hairs here, but to me full set means every Licensed game released by Nintendo you can get in a store (SE to me is still a rare variant... but anyway). Maybe the term COMPLETE set means unlicensed too? But then where do you draw the line when you include PAL, Sachen, those Brazilian games etc. It starts to get difficult. I think personally Full set should only mean official NES releases.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:45:43 AM
MrFaust (27)
(Anthony ) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Daria

Well this is silliness.

I completely agree. We are all collectors here, why nit pick over small details. Who cares, collect and have fun, share it with a community of collectors.

We can't game here, it's Donkey Kong Country.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:06:44 PM
BigHero1006 (26)
< Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
Originally posted by: Sign Collector Guy

My NES set is a full licensed set minus 434 games. I am quite happy with it. I had like 10 games growing up and had to rent everything.

LOL!  Super funny.  We must have the same collection   

It’s a Nintendo Entertainment System….If I wanted to play Sega I’d call your sister!

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:23:37 PM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
Can we tie this into a discussion of people here who claim they have full sets of libraries when they really don't? I see this amongst elitists who are full of shit but many are fooled thus commanding them undue respect as knowledgeable on the subject.

Edited: 08/18/2017 at 12:23 PM by XYZ

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:26:11 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: DefaultGen
Collectors divide things up into subsets because it is not possible to own every single cartridge ever made for NES and goals are fun.
Exactly. A lot of people want to collect towards a metric. A specific set, be it licensed, NA retail, whatever, is the goalpost.

Collecting an absolute full set is impossible, because anyone can make a one-off cart and fork any plans to achieve it.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:33:48 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: fcgamer

actual full set enthusiasts.  
Those do not exist.  Nobody has anywhere near the actual full set of every NES cart, and nobody ever will because there are too many one off carts.  Everyone who says full set means their own limited version of full.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:34:03 PM
Buyatari (14)
(Adam Harvey) < King Solomon >
Ohio
When a list is compiled as a historical reference it will include everything known to exist.
When a list is compiled as a check list of games to check off then no it won't include some things.

Honestly, checklist is a much better term.
Instead of a full set (which one no has) it should be said they have completed their NES checklist.
Which could be mutually agreed upon or personal and anything would be acceptable.

Edited: 08/18/2017 at 12:35 PM by Buyatari

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:35:09 PM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Edited: 05/25/2019 at 08:25 PM by fcgamer

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:35:41 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: MrFaust

Originally posted by: Daria

Well this is silliness.

I completely agree. We are all collectors here, why nit pick over small details. Who cares, collect and have fun, share it with a community of collectors.

OK, here's the one thing I'll disagree with. If there's anything collectors are great at, it's nitpicking over small details.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:41:54 PM
beardcore84 (7)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
Originally posted by: XYZ

Can we tie this into a discussion of people here who claim they have full sets of libraries when they really don't? I see this amongst elitists who are full of shit but many are fooled thus commanding them undue respect as knowledgeable on the subject.

So, are you saying that for example, since I don't physically own the Speed Racer combo cart on SNES, but hav every other cart, I am less knowledgable about the NTSC SNES full set?

Follow me on Instagram - CodysGameRoom

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:00:33 PM
sadikyo (89)
(Sadik Yo) < King Solomon >
United States

Originally posted by: sadikyo

Racial Descrimination:  Yes, many games are descriminated against just because of their color. Blue games, black games, silver and gold games. All discriminated against just because they look different, don't fit in.  Even games that are smaller or with special adapters, again get discriminated against.

Dave,

I appreciate people sharing their opinions on here, and I encourage people to discuss what they like and not completely discount someone's opinion just because it is different.  I realize that this particular subject is important to you and I think it is fine to discuss to a degree. 

I know you are going to get a lot of heat for this thread and I almost didn't respond with my thoughts about the above statement because I don't want this thread to turn into a 'bash the OP' fiasco - and I do want to remind all of us to be polite in any disagreements of opinion we may have.

I find issue particularly with the above comment of yours because I think it is perhaps disingenuous, even if not intended, or maybe just a poor word choice.  There is nothing racially motivated about people's desire to collect this cart or that cart.  Maybe people like uniformity in their collections in certain capacities, but this has nothing to do with race.  I think attaching the term 'racial discrimination' in this application is unnecessary and inappropriate, and I believe will actually alienate you from intellectual discussion on this entire subject because people will discount the notion entirely.  

I think discussions can be had one way or the other for the remaining points of yours, but I just find this one a bit incendiary and not applicable - again, perhaps that wasn't your intention.

If you go back and reread my initial post, as well as even to read the title of the thread, it is somewhat obvious to have been made in jest, not as a serious topic post. If it were meant to have been taken seriously, I would not have worded things the way I did, and I also would have been more specific in the aforementioned negative effects, rather than just a few not well-thought-out remarks.  

While my stance on the topic of full sets has been stated seriously previously (i.e. everything counts, sans demos and protos which weren't meant for those not in the industry), this thread is not about that. It is about the genuine silliness of collectors as a whole, counting and disqualifying games for whimsicle reasons, and also the "damages" that are caused by that.

If you are seriously offended by the initial post, then I am sorry for that; however, if we have as a society gotten to a point that everyone is offended by everything, then there is not much I can do at that point to solve those problems of others.

Regarding race and discrimination, I don't mean to belittle the topic at all, but as a genuine statement (you need not answer publically here, but just some food for thought, as I don't know your personal situation):  Have you ever been discriminated against, due to race?  People will say that white, middle class males are never discriminated against, never feel discrimination, but over the course of the past six years (living in Taiwan), I have come to be discriminated against almost daily, simply due to race - sometimes for the good, othertimes for the bad. So if people want to start talking about racial discrimination of real people, I have many a story to tell.

edit:  Also, if we were to turn full set collecting into a script and write a movie:  Why couldn't different colored cartridges be equated with different species or races?  In terms of being an allegory, it quite fits when one thinks about it.
Hahaha....don't worry.  I am not offended or upset at you, so please don't make it sound like this is a case of society being offended by everything situation.

I thought you were being totally straight-up serious in your OP.  Given your discussions about this in the past, I didn't think this was meant in jest.  Obviously that changes the interpretation completely, so you can disregard my message.  Seems like it was just a simple misunderstanding.  Sorry for the confusion.

I actually agree with you about the ridiculousness surrounding the levels of analysis and argumentation about collecting.  Trust me, you have no idea.

Hello!  I want your "ATLUS" stuff!  Please see my list or send me a PM if you have cool ATLUS stuff!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Edited: 08/18/2017 at 01:06 PM by sadikyo

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:06:34 PM
Abelardo (77)
(Abelardo González) < El Ripper >
Mexico
It boils down to where you want to draw the line, you have to draw the line at some point as there's a massive amount of games out there if you count all American, European, Japanese and Asian releases (and whatever else is out there), both licensed and unlicensed, seems normal that collectors in North America would only collect USA region games and particularly licensed games, those are the games we remember, either we owned them, friends owned them, saw them at retail or rental stores, or talked about in magazines we purchased (Nintendo Power would not talk about unlicensed games obviously).

Full set definition is not set on stone, especially regarding unlicensed games, even with licensed if I ever get to 676/677 that would be my full set and I'll be done with it, to each his own but personally I'm good with WCTM and Famicom Running Stadium cart.

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:21:46 PM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
Originally posted by: beardcore84

So, are you saying that for example, since I don't physically own the Speed Racer combo cart on SNES, but hav every other cart, I am less knowledgable about the NTSC SNES full set?

Not at all, what I am saying is there are people who claim to own every game for a system and then brag about it, then get badges and people buy into it. But they don't actually own every game. The problem is that it takes away from those who are honest and play by the rules.

Edited: 08/18/2017 at 01:24 PM by XYZ

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:23:07 PM
beardcore84 (7)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
Ah, ok. That makes sense. I guess it depends on how seriously you take the badges on this website.

Follow me on Instagram - CodysGameRoom

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:25:18 PM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
Originally posted by: beardcore84

Ah, ok. That makes sense. I guess it depends on how seriously you take the badges on this website.

And that's the thing, some people take them VERY SERIOUSLY and possibly they take it so seriously, they exaggerate and bs their way to the top. The problem is that if you say "oh it's just a badge, no one takes it serious", then whatabout all those who take it damn seriously?

One of the reasons I hate how people brag they own every game on a modern system is because they don't have a definitive list of every game. It happened with Wii where someone said they had every game but then Atrevete a Sonar and Lucha Libre and Violetta came to light. You go and immediately buy them at any cost and leg, but it takes your claim of "having every game" and calls it bullshit. You have every game until someone else digs up a new item that you happened to be missing. It ties into this whole talk about whether the Aladdin Deck Enhancer titles count or not. I personally do count them and do own them. But I don't want a badge or bragging rights because there will always be things like Sachen, Brazil titles, or very well done homebrews (e.g. Battle Kid) that I believe belong on the master list that will always be contested to the end of time.

Edited: 08/18/2017 at 01:29 PM by XYZ

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:38:18 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota

And that's the thing, some people take them VERY SERIOUSLY and possibly they take it so seriously, they exaggerate and bs their way to the top. The problem is that if you say "oh it's just a badge, no one takes it serious", then whatabout all those who take it damn seriously?

One of the reasons I hate how people brag they own every game on a modern system is because they don't have a definitive list of every game. It happened with Wii where someone said they had every game but then Atrevete a Sonar and Lucha Libre and Violetta came to light. You go and immediately buy them at any cost and leg, but it takes your claim of "having every game" and calls it bullshit. You have every game until someone else digs up a new item that you happened to be missing. It ties into this whole talk about whether the Aladdin Deck Enhancer titles count or not. I personally do count them and do own them. But I don't want a badge or bragging rights because there will always be things like Sachen, Brazil titles, or very well done homebrews (e.g. Battle Kid) that I believe belong on the master list that will always be contested to the end of time.
But but but, what about the people who take people who take things too seriously, too seriously??? huh HUH???? Did I say that right?

Any time I hear people bring up awards in a negative manner I just roll my eyes.  No one gives a shit.  We could turn them off today and it would make zero difference.  They are meant to be fun, and as with most things in this hobby a by product is they give some people another thing to complain about.   

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:43:36 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Recently, someone had made a thread about why the Aladdin Deck Enhancer games aren't included in the full sets of many people, and I started to really think about it, on the way to work. It's so crazy, seeing as how a set of those games can be had for about $100, making the complete set (7 games and one adapter) quite cheap.

It got me thinking about the now-popular "have it your way" Burger King-style collecting, that many NES collectors of today support.  I think this style of collecting can be overall harmful though, for the following reasons:

Historical:  For people that are trying to catalog the games and write down what actually happened and occured, it becomes a bit harder when a vast majority of the community doesn't care about some portion of the set, or even worse, claim to own a full set of games themselves, even if it isn't nearly complete.

Resellers:  It sucks for resellers / selling collectors too - You have a rare game, it should be worth money, but since it is now popular to exclude, rather than include, suddenly your rare game is worth peanuts.

Gamers:  Yup, gamers miss out on great games, mostly due to hearsay (Unlicensed games suck, blah blah game sucks, etc).  But they go into some games with the mindset that they suck, and are second-class, even if they are great.

Racial Descrimination:  Yes, many games are descriminated against just because of their color. Blue games, black games, silver and gold games. All discriminated against just because they look different, don't fit in.  Even games that are smaller or with special adapters, again get discriminated against.

So let's be nice and include everyone.  People should be encouraged and can collect however they want; however, the full set moniker should only be used for those that actually have full sets, as full set fakers just cause a lot of trouble towards actual full set enthusiasts.  

mkay so I haven't read the thread, just the OP, but honestly, who cares?   Have you ever tried to get 20 people to agree on something?   Or 10?   Or even five?   Its fucking impossible.      

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:03:31 PM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
Ok so if no one gives a shit why maintain it? Why do some guys get the free pass for an icon? others gotta send pictures?

Edited: 08/18/2017 at 02:03 PM by XYZ

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:09:58 PM
DoctorNick (76)
(Nick ) < El Ripper >
Ohio
Sachen games are garbage and shouldn't be counted...I guess that can go for 75% of the unlicensed games, and yes I've played (and finished) a lot of them. I like to collect for my Licensed NES Set, need only 13 more and won't buy SE unless it drops to $100 because its a variant of an already lame game. I will somehow live with myself having a full licensed set minus SE one day.

"100% agree. I'll never bargain shop for tattoos or condoms."  -thenickross 2015