Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Age of Snail Mail and the Newsletter Remember when people used land lines and physical mailings to showcase the hottest new games???

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:02:02 AM
Limbofunk (160)
(Otto Man) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: acidjaguar

Originally posted by: Limbofunk

Do newsletters not available to the public count?
I'd like to hear more about what ones you're talking about for sure.  There was that inner office newsletter if I'm not mistaken correct?  I remember seeing something of that nature a little while ago.

The majority of ones I have are the Nintendo News and Network News.  Nintendo News was the newsletters put in Merchandiser Manuals for retail employees to check out and keep updated on Nintendo products.  Network News was the Authorized Service Center newsletter that kept them updated on technical issues, products, had servicer spotlights and......cooking recipies.  I have a few of the ones you mentioned somewhere, but I can't think of the name of it.

-------------------------

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:10:30 PM
acidjaguar (668)
(Lloyd Christmas) < Bowser >
Montana
Originally posted by: Limbofunk

The majority of ones I have are the Nintendo News and Network News.  Nintendo News was the newsletters put in Merchandiser Manuals for retail employees to check out and keep updated on Nintendo products.  Network News was the Authorized Service Center newsletter that kept them updated on technical issues, products, had servicer spotlights and......cooking recipies.  I have a few of the ones you mentioned somewhere, but I can't think of the name of it.

I've seen this one a few times but never that Network News.  Great items though!  I'd love to get some scans if you have time and/or already have them. 

The list will need updating

For sale thread located here: click
Wanted to buy: click

Top wants currently: 
Old NES / SNES era newsletters and mailings
Original GB Chinese games (CHN coding on label)

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:49:06 PM
Penguin (239)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
I have a bunch of Sega internal Newsletters.  These were part of a Sega retail binder that I got, and is probably my favorite binder I own as I almost never see Sega internal stuff, and it covers from the Genesis, CD, 32X and Saturn so it's from a neat time!  Here's a few snapshots of some of the newsletters, I still need to scan them just need to find a better scanner!

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:20:14 PM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
A little older then most of these. 1983 Imagic Numb Thumb News Vol 1

My Wanted to Buy/Trade Thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

My Ebay Listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/daillest/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&a...

Oct 8, 2015 at 7:10:37 PM
acidjaguar (668)
Montana
Originally posted by: daillest

Thank you for sharing!  Although I'm hesitant for this list I think any additional posts in this thread are great for referencing all around.  There's another one of these available on eBay right now I do believe as well (different issue though).

Top wants currently: 

Oct 8, 2015 at 7:24:46 PM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota

Thank you for sharing!  Although I'm hesitant for this list I think any additional posts in this thread are great for referencing all around.  There's another one of these available on eBay right now I do believe as well (different issue though).
What he really means is, we don't care about anything pre-Nintendo...haha.

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Oct 8, 2015 at 7:42:18 PM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: doner24

Haha yea I figured that may be the case :0

My Ebay Listings

Oct 8, 2015 at 7:48:29 PM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota

Haha yea I figured that may be the case :0

I think Andrew and I both have some older stuff, i.e. Atari age and arcade newsletters, but we've definitely focused on the NES through N64 era. Those older newsletters and magazines are pretty cool to flip through though and my favorite paper that I've acquired through the years are the old penpal newletters, where people would collect articles from others in the group and distribute a "newletter" to the rest of the group. When I get around to cataloging them I'll share some pics on here.

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:23:28 PM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
It has come to my attention that you are missing Tatio Times 1-1. What makes you think Sky Shark is the "Premeir Issue"? Does it have a date or vol # on it?
Scans Below.

My Ebay Listings

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:51:33 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
This thread rules

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:34:51 AM
acidjaguar (668)
Montana
Originally posted by: Bronty

This thread rules

Thanks B!  Taken a long time to get this together

It has come to my attention that you are missing Tatio Times 1-1. What makes you think Sky Shark is the "Premeir Issue"? Does it have a date or vol # on it?
Scans Below.

Interesting point .... it looks like your premiere issue was sent out to personal computer players and the one I have was sent out to nintendo entertainment players. You can see it in the subtitle of the inside. I guess Taito decided to have a few variations on their newsletter.  Pretty cool point and news to me!

Also added a few scan of mid FCI issues recently.  Be sure to check them out!

Top wants currently: 

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:07:14 PM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York

Great thread Acidjaguar. Do you own all these?
Many of these are incredible hard to find.
I see my pics for quite a few of these

Was going to say the same thing.

Glad to see them all in one place. I used to call up all of the game companies in the 80's and tell them to send me stuff.
Here's most of what I have: http://www.videogameobsession.com...

Here are some high res scans of my Team Sega Newsletters. I think you need these?
I finally bought the last one that I never owned as a kid. The very hard to get #1.

Issue #1 Winter 1988

Issue #2  Spring 1988

Issue #3 (Summer 1988)

Issue #4 (Fall 1988)

Issue #5 (January 1989)

Issue #6 (April 1989)
Issue #1  Winter 1988
CBZ Format (Zipped JPGs)
2000x2624 Resolution.

CLICK FOR FULL MAGAZINE! 
28MB /VGO 2014
*Please provide a linked credit
if you host this elsewhere!
Issue #2  Spring 1988
CBZ Format (Zipped JPGs)
1500x19xx Resolution.

CLICK FOR FULL MAGAZINE! 
15MB / VGO 2011
*Please provide a linked credit
if you host this elsewhere!

Issue #7 (December 1989)

Nintendo Fun Club News

Vol. 1 No. 1 - WINTER 1987

Vol. 1 No. 2 - SUMMER 1987

Vol. 1 No. 3 - FALL 1987

Vol. 1 No. 4 - WINTER 1987 Vol. 1 No. 5 - FEB-MAR 1988 Vol. 2 No. 6 -APR/MAY 1988

Vol. 2 No. 7 - JUNE/JULY 1988

Original Nintendo Fun Club Card
Dear Nintendo Fun Club Member...

Nintendo Power Flash
Summer 1988 (Issue 1) Fall 1988 (Issue #2) Winter 1989 (Issue #3)
Spring 1989 (Issue #4)
Summer/Fall 1989 (Issue #5)
Winter 1990  (Issue #6)
Spring 1990  (Issue #7)
Summer 1990 (Issue #8)
Fall 1990 (Issue #9)

I have a bunch of older stuff from the Atari VCS and Colecovision days, but I still need to scan and cataloge it.

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:11:54 PM
Rookie1 (22)
(Pig Benis) < El Ripper >
Maine
Im not going to lie, I love getting paper stuffs in the mail. I still get a hand full of collector magazines, and most of the time scan them before I scan a website. I dont even bother reading my emails anymore as its usually flooded with junk. Love paper copies of things.

THINGS IM LOOKING FOR - http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:13:38 PM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
Love this thread!

A few SNK Super Player issues to add (this is info from an eBay listing that I had missed unfortunately):

SNK Super Player Mar/Apr 1990
SNK Super Player May/Jun 1990
SNK Super Player Jul/Aug 1990

Seen in this photo:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0...

And here is an alternate cover of the premiere (?) issue of the same newsletter (notice no "Chopper" part bottom-left):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0...

I also have a Sony Imagesoft preview guide (1992) that may have been a mailaway, not sure. Same for another EASports guide (1995/1996):

https://drive.google.com/drive/fo...

P.s. if anyone has any newsletter doubles, let me know. I've got lots of paper to trade and am still missing plenty of issues!

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:19:29 PM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
By the way, are Treco Times and Ultra Secrets mailaways from game producers or third party newsletters?

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:23:51 PM
acidjaguar (668)
Montana
Originally posted by: Speedy_NES

By the way, are Treco Times and Ultra Secrets mailaways from game producers or third party newsletters?

Thank you for the new information!!   The Treco Times and Ultra Secrets were from the producers I'd assume.  Here's another user's picture that has a Treco in it....

Top wants currently: 

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:17:41 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Penguin

I have a bunch of Sega internal Newsletters.  These were part of a Sega retail binder that I got, and is probably my favorite binder I own as I almost never see Sega internal stuff, and it covers from the Genesis, CD, 32X and Saturn so it's from a neat time!  Here's a few snapshots of some of the newsletters, I still need to scan them just need to find a better scanner!

Hey I've seen that image top left before!  

Greg Martin painted several poses of Sonic that they used as clip art like this throughout all sorts of their promotional materials.

Here's one of the originals (excuse the terrible picture from like 10 years ago).

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:33:04 PM
Limbofunk (160)
(Otto Man) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: Bronty

Originally posted by: Penguin

Hey I've seen that image top left before!  

Greg Martin painted several poses of Sonic that they used as clip art like this throughout all sorts of their promotional materials.

Here's one of the originals (excuse the terrible picture from like 10 years ago).

Snazzy!  I always admire the art you share Bronty, all I have are some concept sketches from GoGoHypergrind and a concept sketch from a Dr Mario commercial of him with bad gas.  

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:13:42 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Thanks Otto; you are confirmed town

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:13:53 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:29:51 AM
argyle2000 (0)

< Cherub >
Hi, cool thread! I'm a Nintendo fan from the 1980s/1990s. I actually wrote a review of a Vic Tokai game for one of their Vic Tokai newsletters around 1990/1991 when I was just a teenager. I saw a scan of the cover of two of the issues in here somewhere, would any of you be kind enough to  scan the issues or point me to existing scans? That would be awesome! Thanks! I also have a funny story about kind of being an intern for a few weeks for Vic Tokai over one summer in the 1990s...

Edited: 10/25/2017 at 10:56 AM by argyle2000

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:03:56 AM
acidjaguar (668)
Montana
Originally posted by: argyle2000

Hi, cool thread! I'm a Nintendo fan from the 1980s/1990s. I actually wrote a review of a Vic Tokai game for one of their Vic Tokai newsletters around 1990/1991 when I was just a teenager. I saw a scan of the cover of two of the issues in here somewhere, would any of you be kind enough to  scan the issues or point me to existing scans? That would be awesome! Thanks! I also have a funny story about kind of being an intern for a few weeks for Vic Tokai over one summer in the 1990s...

Hey thanks for posting here!!  That's pretty killer that you were apart of these way back when.  The Vic Tokai issues are pretty hard to come by and I don't know of any full scans of the issues on the interwebs.  I've only got one issue (July 1990), so I'll see what I can do for you there when I get a little more free time. 

You can't just leave us hanging on a story mang!  Fess up

Top wants currently: 

Nov 3, 2017 at 2:09:33 PM
argyle2000 (0)

< Cherub >
I just realized the story may be one of those stories that's funny to me but not necessarily to anyone else! 

Anyway, sometime in I think 1991 Vic Tokai hired a bunch of kids at their Southern California office to brainstorm a new game. So there were a bunch of teenagers there for a few weeks maybe, it must have been summer, sitting around in a conference room thinking of game ideas. Street Fighter II was huge in the arcades then, and we had these really lofty ideas--our idea was to make sort of like a role playing game like Zelda or Dragon Quest or Phantasy Star or whatever was popular then, but when you ran into enemies, it would switch to a side-view fighting game like Street Fighter II. But, we were really, really set on making it like as violent and brutal as possible--like, you could rip your opponents' heads off, or impale them on a big spike, or whatever. We thought that was going to be a very important and fun part of the fighting action, to make it really violent, we thought that would add a lot to the cool parts already in Street Fighter II. We came up with lots of crazy ideas for that game. We came up with a plot and characters, etc.

Anyways, at some point our time brainstorming a game for Vic Tokai ended (maybe summer ended)? and we never really heard anything about it again. Late the next year of course in 1992 Mortal Kombat came out and was a big hit and I remember thinking, "Wow, that's exactly what we were thinking of when we were designing our game, like Street Fighter II but with outrageously violent parts added in!" So it was funny to me in that we kind of predicted what would become Mortal Kombat a year earlier and thinking if Vic Tokai had done anything with the idea they could have beat Mortal Kombat to it and had a hit  

Edited: 11/03/2017 at 02:12 PM by argyle2000

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:42:28 AM
GCrites80s (0)
(G Crites) < El Ripper >
Ohio
Those meetings were a good idea on their part. At the time, video games lost people around age 14 or so. Some went to PC and arcade fighters held them a little longer, but for the most part older teens would quit gaming altogether. That didn't really end until PS1 got up to full steam in 1997-1998.

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:18:08 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Originally posted by: argyle2000

I just realized the story may be one of those stories that's funny to me but not necessarily to anyone else! 

Anyway, sometime in I think 1991 Vic Tokai hired a bunch of kids at their Southern California office to brainstorm a new game. So there were a bunch of teenagers there for a few weeks maybe, it must have been summer, sitting around in a conference room thinking of game ideas. Street Fighter II was huge in the arcades then, and we had these really lofty ideas--our idea was to make sort of like a role playing game like Zelda or Dragon Quest or Phantasy Star or whatever was popular then, but when you ran into enemies, it would switch to a side-view fighting game like Street Fighter II. But, we were really, really set on making it like as violent and brutal as possible--like, you could rip your opponents' heads off, or impale them on a big spike, or whatever. We thought that was going to be a very important and fun part of the fighting action, to make it really violent, we thought that would add a lot to the cool parts already in Street Fighter II. We came up with lots of crazy ideas for that game. We came up with a plot and characters, etc.

Anyways, at some point our time brainstorming a game for Vic Tokai ended (maybe summer ended)? and we never really heard anything about it again. Late the next year of course in 1992 Mortal Kombat came out and was a big hit and I remember thinking, "Wow, that's exactly what we were thinking of when we were designing our game, like Street Fighter II but with outrageously violent parts added in!" So it was funny to me in that we kind of predicted what would become Mortal Kombat a year earlier and thinking if Vic Tokai had done anything with the idea they could have beat Mortal Kombat to it and had a hit  

With their games' trademark quirkiness, I would have loved to see a Vic Tokai-developed Mortal Kombat game...

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"