Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Nintendo Love Tester American version 1969

Sep 16 at 12:37:00 PM
Yellr (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
I found a Love Tester in the wild and am wanting to get a price check, this was the very first Electronic/International toy sold by Nintendo.  The issue is there aren't any sold on Ebay (the ones that show sold are mine but the user purchasing was trying to scam), and there in very very little information out there about it.  A few pieces of information can be found in Isaos (biggest nintendo collector in the world) interview https://www.tofugu.com/interviews/nintendo-collection/ where he states its his 3rd favorite item he has.  He has the Japanese version as does the only video I could find on Youtube.  The only difference between the Japanese and the American version appears to be the instructions, everything else is the same.  It does work and is complete in the box so really I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm working with, the biggest issue seems to be most people are completely unaware this item even exist.  

Sep 16 at 12:43:00 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
PM me if you want to sell. I'll be following this post.

-------------------------
Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Sep 16 at 3:01:26 PM
Yellr (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
I may be once I figure out what I actually have here. I was just advised by a collector these were only available in New York magazine in December 1971. So now my goal is to see if I can figure out how many are out there. He also advised the Japanese one, while rare, can be found in Japan. However the American one is almost never found but he could not give me a price. I haven't collected in a few years so if anyone else has any info on what I may be looking at I'd appreciate it. I'm reaching out to everyone.

Edited: 09/16/2019 at 03:03 PM by Yellr

Sep 16 at 3:20:56 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Pretty cool. You could auction it here, I'm sure you would find bidders. Plus much less chance of someone wasting your time.

Sep 16 at 4:24:09 PM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Originally posted by: Yellr

I found a Love Tester in the wild and am wanting to get a price check, this was the very first Electronic/International toy sold by Nintendo.  The issue is there aren't any sold on Ebay (the ones that show sold are mine but the user purchasing was trying to scam), and there in very very little information out there about it.  A few pieces of information can be found in Isaos (biggest nintendo collector in the world) interview https://www.tofugu.com/interviews/nintendo-collection/ where he states its his 3rd favorite item he has.  He has the Japanese version as does the only video I could find on Youtube.  The only difference between the Japanese and the American version appears to be the instructions, everything else is the same.  It does work and is complete in the box so really I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm working with, the biggest issue seems to be most people are completely unaware this item even exist.  

Reach out to Isaos and ask his thoughts.

Sep 16 at 4:45:56 PM
Yellr (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
I tweeted him and facebooked him but haven't heard back yet. Eric from the beforemario blog has helped me so far. I reached out to some bigger Nintendo youtubers and pretty much anyone I can find that I think could help and haven't heard back much yet.

Sep 16 at 5:19:32 PM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States

I tweeted him and facebooked him but haven't heard back yet. Eric from the beforemario blog has helped me so far. I reached out to some bigger Nintendo youtubers and pretty much anyone I can find that I think could help and haven't heard back much yet.

Theres always ebay for a super high BIN and best offer and see what happens. 

Sep 16 at 5:22:53 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Should try Chris Kohler, he has many of those early Nintendo games. https://twitter.com/kobunheat...

Sep 16 at 5:42:16 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Sign Collector Guy

Theres always ebay for a super high BIN and best offer and see what happens. 

I second this.  Put it up for a super high BIN and mention that you're a serious seller looking to make a deal.

You'll get the most eyes on it and get the biggest return.

Edit to add:  After you post it for sale, contact a major media outlet and see if they write an article about the auction.  

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Edited: 09/16/2019 at 05:44 PM by MrMark0673

Sep 16 at 6:27:44 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
He has listed it on Ebay a few times and it hasn't received many bids. Granted that could be an exposure issue, but people have had multiple opportunities to BIN for $300 already.

Edited: 09/16/2019 at 06:28 PM by B.A.

Sep 16 at 6:33:37 PM
Kobun Heat (54)

(Chris Kohler) < Meka Chicken >
California
Oh hi. Yes, I have this as well - a Japanese Love Tester with an English-language instruction sheet. Yours is slightly different than mine but clearly came from the same place. Besides mine, I've seen another one come up on eBay a few years back, which Steve Lin got. So they definitely come up from time to time.

This seems to fall into a fairly common category with Nintendo toys that were distributed in the U.S., which is that a wholesaler bought the Japanese versions of the toys from Nintendo and then repackaged them for America, in this case just taking a retail Love Tester and putting an English instruction sheet in it.

So far, my experience with a lot of these Nintendo toys is that they are very hard to find but demand is very low. There aren't a lot of collectors here looking to buy these toys, which keeps the price down when one does pop up. People love to put these up for high BINs but they tend to not move. I got mine for around $100 a year or two ago; I'd say putting this up for $249.99 or even $199.99 and entertaining offers would be a good move here. It IS rare, it IS cool, but demand's just not there.

Sep 16 at 6:38:11 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: B.A.

He has listed it on Ebay a few times and it hasn't received many bids. Granted that could be an exposure issue, but people have had multiple opportunities to BIN for $300 already.
Gotcha, I didn't realize that.

I know very little of the value of early Nintendo electronics and was assuming it was an item of substantially higher value based on some of the responses here.  

With several no sales at $300, NA is definitely one of the better places to attempt to sell it.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Sep 16 at 6:55:14 PM
Yellr (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
Originally posted by: B.A.

Yea it was definitely a viewer error.  The first time the item was up it got like 15 views, the second time about the same.  Then I put it up for $500 BIN with promoted listing to get eyes on it and was taking offers since I got it working after cleaning the pads.  Within a day the highest offer I got was $350 but after asking the local shop owner what is was worth and him not knowing it even existed I decided to do my due diligence and look into it.  Chris thank you for the information that is very helpful.  I will probably just take your guys advice and throw it on eBay with a fixed price and take offers.

Sep 18 at 3:45:17 PM
Yelir (28)
(Riley Gallant) < El Ripper >
Alberta
Does yours have the box or is it loose?

PS - Are you my evil twin?  

Sep 18 at 4:23:34 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Yelir

PS - Are you my evil twin?