Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA Beat Every N64 Game in a Year? (2014) 111/303 Games Defeated

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:24:22 PM
cyan_phoenix (15)

(Cyan Phoenix) < Meka Chicken >
New South Wales
I'm currently playing the first Goemon game, so I hope to add that to the list soon!

Just a suggestion, it might be worth making sports games worth more than one point, as they are usually the games nobody wants to touch! Last year we had it that games that had not been completed the previous year were worth two points, just to encourage people to try games that are not the most popular.

Either way, I hope to contribute to this list soon

-------------------------

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:44:18 PM
cheaterdragon1 (69)
< Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Yeah it was a good idea last year. This year I wasn't so sure though. I could always do the 1-3 points thing like the SNES thread though. You wanna help make a list of what should be 1-3?

Oh and for the thread I finished Power Rangers. Bad bad game.

Dreadful artwork too...

Edited: 01/26/2014 at 08:45 PM by cheaterdragon1

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:26:31 PM
AJ_the_gym_leader (6)

(AJ Lewandoski) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
I've done both Zelda's since New Years. Seems like a fun contest I'm not sure why I haven't done any yet

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:38:47 PM
cheaterdragon1 (69)
< Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Originally posted by: AJ_the_gym_leader

I've done both Zelda's since New Years. Seems like a fun contest I'm not sure why I haven't done any yet

I gave you the points, but got any pictures? Just seems a little fast that you got them both already.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:06:48 AM
64BitMatthew (31)
(Matthew 64Bit) < Eggplant Wizard >
Manitoba
Just finished Virtual Chess 64, or as finished as it can be (win a game). I thought it would be pretty easy and quick, but apparently my chess skills have drastically decreased from not playing it in quite a few years. After about 6 games, I won one. I preferred to play in 2D mode, but switched back to 3D for the pic. I thought the move cutscenes were a bit of a nice touch, but after the first game, I found myself just skipping them. Overall, its all you can really ask for / expect from a chess game.

http://s1276.photobucket.com/user...

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:16:28 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Originally posted by: cheaterdragon1

I gave you the points, but got any pictures? Just seems a little fast that you got them both already.

It's definitely possible to do both fairly quickly.  I'd only really question if both games were started after New Years, but being almost a month I don't really think I'd question it myself.  He probably just noticed the thread

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:43:29 AM
AJ_the_gym_leader (6)

Michigan
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

It's definitely possible to do both fairly quickly.  I'd only really question if both games were started after New Years, but being almost a month I don't really think I'd question it myself.  He probably just noticed the thread

Sorry I don't have pics, I appreciate the vote of confidence Wiz. They both were finished this month though, I got laid off on the 7th, so it's basically just been gaming and looking for other stuff to do for me for the past couple weeks. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:48:54 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Sorry to hear about the layoff, but at least that would give you enough time to knock both games off from start to finish...hope that removes the Dragon's doubts

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:57:30 AM
AJ_the_gym_leader (6)

Michigan
It's all good usually happens this time of year, it's the boredom that really gets me. You can only clean your house so much before you have nothing left to clean, and then all I'm left to is video games I'll work on some more and make sure I get pictures next time to quell any woes

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:31:08 AM
cheaterdragon1 (69)
< Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Originally posted by: 64BitMatthew

Just finished Virtual Chess 64, or as finished as it can be (win a game). I thought it would be pretty easy and quick, but apparently my chess skills have drastically decreased from not playing it in quite a few years. After about 6 games, I won one. I preferred to play in 2D mode, but switched back to 3D for the pic. I thought the move cutscenes were a bit of a nice touch, but after the first game, I found myself just skipping them. Overall, its all you can really ask for / expect from a chess game.

Point added, sorry you had to go through that game. I tried to play that game for the last completion thread and I found the music was awful, the controls were somehow bad, and there really wasn't anything to do besides play against the computer a million times. What's funny is I tried putting the game on the highest difficult setting and the computer was taking 5-10 minutes to make their move. I was so surprised, I thought my game had crashed at first, but I left it and eventually something happened. Oh and I agree that 2D mode looks better.

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:26:59 AM
AJ_the_gym_leader (6)

Michigan
Alright sorry to go no pic again but I figured this one was easy enough (took all of 20 minutes of playing each until I lost) Namco Museum 64:
Pac-Man: Their top-0 My top-22,310
Ms.Pac-Man: Their top-0 My top-16,530
Galaga: Their top-20,000 My top-38,850
Galaxian: Their top-0 My top-4,260
Pole Position: Their top-12,000 My top-32,210
Dig Dug: Their top-10,000 My top-14,360
(Nothing impressive just going for complete)

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:28:35 AM
Sukhov (11)

(Christian Andersson) < Crack Trooper >
Sweden
Beat Diddy Kong Racing yesterday, I guess it's not necessary to beat "adventure 2"?

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:35:36 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

Alright sorry to go no pic again but I figured this one was easy enough (took all of 20 minutes of playing each until I lost) Namco Museum 64:
Pac-Man: Their top-0 My top-22,310
Ms.Pac-Man: Their top-0 My top-16,530
Galaga: Their top-20,000 My top-38,850
Galaxian: Their top-0 My top-4,260
Pole Position: Their top-12,000 My top-32,210
Dig Dug: Their top-10,000 My top-14,360
(Nothing impressive just going for complete)

Did you hit all the loop points?  Pac-Man, Ms Pac-Man and Dig Dug I believe just have the one board, but Galaga you need to pass at least the first bonus stage.  Not too sure about the other two, but I'll look them up after work to see. I think  based on your Pole Position score that you probably looped it, but it's hard to be certain of that.  Regardless, there's no ending to any of them, but the basic rule is to get the high score AND loop the game in the same game. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:50:49 PM
link463 (25)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kansas
Can't wait to get in on this. I'm away from my N64 until the middle of next month. I'll be happy to knock out some of the sports games. What's the general rule? I know for blitz, it can be defined as winning the super bowl or beating all the teams.

Thanks for writing. I apologize for the delay in responding to your email during this busy time of year.
In regard to your email, it is great to hear that you have found a copy of Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64. Perfect dark was a first person shooter game that was released in May of 2000. I personally enjoyed this game a lot during my mid-teen years since it allows for up to four players to play at one time. All the Perfect Dark cartridges were black.

I hope this information is what you are looking for.

-
Response I received from Nintendo customer support when I asked if they knew any thing about a black Perfect Dark cart.

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:35:40 PM
AJ_the_gym_leader (6)

Michigan
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

Did you hit all the loop points?  Pac-Man, Ms Pac-Man and Dig Dug I believe just have the one board, but Galaga you need to pass at least the first bonus stage.  Not too sure about the other two, but I'll look them up after work to see. I think  based on your Pole Position score that you probably looped it, but it's hard to be certain of that.  Regardless, there's no ending to any of them, but the basic rule is to get the high score AND loop the game in the same game. 
Ms. Pac-Man has 4 different boards then they repeat. I got past at least two bonus rounds on galaga, but I suck at galaxian I think I only made it to level 2 before I lost all my lives, so if there's a bonus on galaxian then I'll try and hit it again. I did 3 laps on pole position so that one's good too, and the rest are one stage.

*Galaxian is only a singular board

Edited: 01/27/2014 at 02:04 PM by AJ_the_gym_leader

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:34:21 PM
BigIVIO (26)
(Matt Gerry) < Meka Chicken >
Missouri
I'm on that Harvest Moon 64 right now, soon enough it will be finished as well.

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:46:22 PM
nukie (31)
(Nathan Anderson) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
I was sick over the weekend so I did a run through of Goldeneye I only went through Agent but did complete it. I didn't take a pic because I finished it before I saw this thread.

I don't play WoW, but I make chainmail for cats. - Montana Baker

The next time someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football.

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:31:40 PM
cheaterdragon1 (69)
< Meka Chicken >
Ontario
@AJ and Wizard
I didn't really specify loop points, just high scores. You get the point AJ.

@Sukhov
You got the point, nice.

@link463
Now that's a good question actually. I think winning the Super Bowl would be the best for the NFL games. There's what, 16 games a season then 4 or so playoff games? That's not too bad.

For other sports games I'm not sure. Hockey has like 80 games a season and then playoffs are best out of 7. That's quite a lot!

@nukie
Just want to confirm did you finish all 20 levels? Just asking because I'm not sure if the last 2 levels can be unlocked on Agent difficulty.

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:43:01 PM
AJ_the_gym_leader (6)

Michigan

For other sports games I'm not sure.

Nascar '99 what would you consider complete? One 100% race is like 500 laps, and it takes hours to do. You can set it to any percent of laps you want though. There's a season mode which has all the races, but I don't have a memory card so I can't save anywhere. So is there a certain percentage of laps on season mode that you'd consider complete?

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:01:30 PM
cheaterdragon1 (69)
< Meka Chicken >
Ontario

Nascar '99 what would you consider complete? One 100% race is like 500 laps, and it takes hours to do. You can set it to any percent of laps you want though. There's a season mode which has all the races, but I don't have a memory card so I can't save anywhere. So is there a certain percentage of laps on season mode that you'd consider complete?
You can beat the game at whatever amount of laps you like, as long as it's beaten. 

500 laps would be pretty damn ridiculous so it's no problem if you choose something low like 10 or 15. 

Edited: 01/27/2014 at 09:26 PM by cheaterdragon1

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:32:00 PM
cheaterdragon1 (69)
< Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Double post, but I finished Batman Beyond on normal difficulty.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:58:30 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

@link463
Now that's a good question actually. I think winning the Super Bowl would be the best for the NFL games. There's what, 16 games a season then 4 or so playoff games? That's not too bad.

For other sports games I'm not sure. Hockey has like 80 games a season and then playoffs are best out of 7. That's quite a lot!

Hockey games usually have either an option to shorten the season or the ability to simulate games.  Simming a season and playing the playoffs has counted in the other threads, since it still gives the ending (and requires at least a few games to be played...the ending also pops if you sim the playoffs, but that defeats the purpose ).

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:00:00 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

You can beat the game at whatever amount of laps you like, as long as it's beaten. 

500 laps would be pretty damn ridiculous so it's no problem if you choose something low like 10 or 15. 

Yeah, I agree with this.  I would say finishing season mode would work, but 500 laps is insane. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:30:32 PM
64BitMatthew (31)
(Matthew 64Bit) < Eggplant Wizard >
Manitoba
Well folks, I just knocked a heavy hitter off the list. You can all sleep easy tonight, knowing that Elmo's Number Journey is completed lol. I don't own Elmo's letter journey though, so some other brave soul will have to tackle that one. Also, I completed the game on the hardest difficulty possible, if anyone was wondering lol. Here are two screenshots:

On a side note, I'm really enjoying how enthusiastic people are this year so far about getting n64 games completed. I know the enthusiasm/drive usually dies later in the year, but lets try to keep this momentum going folks!

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:33:32 AM
cheaterdragon1 (69)
< Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Point added and you've taken the lead, for now.

I won't let the momentum drop, this thread will be alive and active all year. Last year was only 137 games, we're gonna easily beat that!