Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Heritage Signature Auctions (ROUND 1!) Are LIVE!!!! Items for sale from myself and many others!

Oct 14 at 5:24:27 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: Buyatari

Originally posted by: ExplodedHamster

$1k for turtles cib and 3k for a sealed pinball.
The Pinball was a bit disappointing, given the same exact amount last week for a 9.6. I keep hearing about this 9.8 premium...guess not!

If I was the seller I’d be more than thrilled. No matter how much someone paid in the past it is still pinball. 

Agreed, that’s like 5x what it would have sold for last year. 

Oct 14 at 5:32:04 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands

The Pinball was a bit disappointing, given the same exact amount last week for a 9.6. I keep hearing about this 9.8 premium...guess not!

I think Pinball was a great price overall, but I completely agree with the condition premium. Where is it?? Turd condition games selling for stupid money, but it’s minty counterpart is like a few hundred more tops? No. Just no. It’s one of the main reasons I haven’t moved a single mint game. Until that delta increases my games are just fine where they are. I’ve had offers of a few hundred more for my 9.0 game than what it sold for 6.0 to 7.0. Yeah, no thanks. 

Two things needs to happen. The sealed/CIB delta needs to close (especially on certain titles) and the mint vs average condition price needs to widen. It’s simply a matter of time. 

Oct 14 at 6:06:45 PM
Jim Jimmer (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
Originally posted by: MinusWorlds

I think Pinball was a great price overall, but I completely agree with the condition premium. Where is it?? Turd condition games selling for stupid money, but it’s minty counterpart is like a few hundred more tops? No. Just no. It’s one of the main reasons I haven’t moved a single mint game. Until that delta increases my games are just fine where they are. I’ve had offers of a few hundred more for my 9.0 game than what it sold for 6.0 to 7.0. Yeah, no thanks. 

Two things needs to happen. The sealed/CIB delta needs to close (especially on certain titles) and the mint vs average condition price needs to widen. It’s simply a matter of time. 

You think sealed/CIB delta should close? Id like to hear your reasons on that...?

unless you mean exceptions like matte sticker black box cib vs sealed rev A etc.?

Oct 14 at 6:14:52 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: Jim Jimmer

You think sealed/CIB delta should close? Id like to hear your reasons on that...?

unless you mean exceptions like matte sticker black box cib vs sealed rev A etc.?

I do, honestly it’s just demand. There are not enough sealed games to go around. There just isn’t. It will certainly come down to specific titles but overall it needs to close. 

I like to use hangtab Castlevania as my example. There are 3 known sealed copies. That’s it. 1 is on total lockdown and the other 2 would take 6 figures to move. But, a CIB counterpart is $1k? 1% of that? $99k for cello? That is just a fundamental breakdown. 

Oct 14 at 7:07:29 PM
romiked2689 (60)
< Lolo Lord >
Maryland

I do, honestly it’s just demand. There are not enough sealed games to go around. There just isn’t. It will certainly come down to specific titles but overall it needs to close. 

I like to use hangtab Castlevania as my example. There are 3 known sealed copies. That’s it. 1 is on total lockdown and the other 2 would take 6 figures to move. But, a CIB counterpart is $1k? 1% of that? $99k for cello? That is just a fundamental breakdown. 

Makes perfect sense! Now where do prototypes fit in 

-------------------------

Oct 14 at 7:20:45 PM
Buyatari (14)
(Adam Harvey) < King Solomon >
Ohio

You just spelled it out. 99k is for one of three status not shrink wrap.

Oct 14 at 8:24:29 PM
Jim Jimmer (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec

Gotcha. I think this makes sense although its the exception rather than the rule. I mean some turtles games cib sold for near a grand yesterday and people are freaking out... this kind of delta shouldnt really close the way you suggest for these games, unlike for higher end/unattainable type sealed games. 

thx for clarifying

Oct 15 at 1:24:43 PM
ExplodedHamster (183)
(Joe Dirt) < King Solomon >
United States
CIB will definitely rise over time because more and more people are entering the hobby. Sealed is just so much harder to find and people will still want to buy things.

People remain skeptical for some reason, but I have been saying forever that everything has changed. We are transitioning to true collector's hobby. 8.5 TMNT for a grand seems crazy, and maybe for now it is, but finding a WATA 8.5 CIB turtles is tough. A few years from now, I don't think it'll seem so crazy. Same with an 8.0 Manhattan.

There is an insane amount of money out there focused on collectibles. INSANE. Start mentally transitioning video games into that context. Video games reach more people than other collectibles, too. There's more of an emotional connection.

Oct 15 at 1:29:35 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands

Gotcha. I think this makes sense although its the exception rather than the rule. I mean some turtles games cib sold for near a grand yesterday and people are freaking out... this kind of delta shouldnt really close the way you suggest for these games, unlike for higher end/unattainable type sealed games. 

thx for clarifying

No problem. I think sealed games are going to dry up, relatively speaking. People will have to make a choice. Do you go with a very expensive sealed early print, a later print sealed, or do you go with an early print CIB. I prefer the early print. I think others do too, but of course some will always choose sealed. But again, there’s just not enough to go around in any version. As those dry up CIB prices should rise. 

Those CIB TMNT’s are honestly ridiculous. I think if anything that’s the anomaly, and future TMNT CIB prices will be well off the ones that just sold on HA. 

Oct 15 at 3:47:02 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Late print sealed seems like the loser category to me, sometimes scarce, relatively high priced, but the "wrong" actual thing. Maybe NES is an exception because of all the documented minor variants and later prints aren't always ugly AF, but when it comes to something like Player's Choice on SNES or Game Boy I wouldn't want a single one stinking up my shelves, let alone paying more for a sealed budget copy over a mint black label.

Not saying scarce later print sealed games won't maintain a value bump over mint early CIB just because of rarity alone, who knows, but in terms of collectible value to me personally I don't see it.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Edited: 10/15/2019 at 03:48 PM by DefaultGen

Oct 15 at 8:03:09 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Sealed first print mint is king to the investment and speculating crowd. In some cases it wont exist or it will be insanely expensive and incredibly scarce. Then you wind up compromising on something.

You either compromise on condition (low grade), print variation (sealed later print) or medium (CIB instead of sealed). They're all compromises to an extent. Personally I'd rather have sealed as I find them to be much rarer for most titles. Heck you even see white seal resealed Tysons with wear going for $4500 and a white bullets CIB ain't touching that. Maybe a truly Mint CIB in 9.2 or higher on a first print, but once again just boils down to rarity.

But yes, greatest hits and players choice arent really collectible in my eyes. Same to inferior quality knock offs like Majesco overlap SNES games. But other stuff like white oval seal NES? Yeah, theyll always command solid value as the cost of entry to own a sealed NES title.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Oct 16 at 12:59:39 PM
Buyatari (14)
(Adam Harvey) < King Solomon >
Ohio

CIB will definitely rise over time because more and more people are entering the hobby. Sealed is just so much harder to find and people will still want to buy things.

People remain skeptical for some reason, but I have been saying forever that everything has changed. We are transitioning to true collector's hobby. 8.5 TMNT for a grand seems crazy, and maybe for now it is, but finding a WATA 8.5 CIB turtles is tough. A few years from now, I don't think it'll seem so crazy. Same with an 8.0 Manhattan.

There is an insane amount of money out there focused on collectibles. INSANE. Start mentally transitioning video games into that context. Video games reach more people than other collectibles, too. There's more of an emotional connection.

Eventually a gallon of gas will average $100. One day.
One day a CIB Turtles will be worth $1000. One day.
That day is not today.

Oct 16 at 8:42:25 PM
ExplodedHamster (183)
United States

Eventually a gallon of gas will average $100. One day.
One day a CIB Turtles will be worth $1000. One day.
That day is not today.

I've been hearing this general sentiment for a year, and yet here we are...

High grade Turtles 1 CIB is no way akin to $100 gallon of gas. We are a hell of a lot closer to the former than the latter. You go on to Ebay now and there are zero Turtles CIB that would hit 8.5. It's a commodity in this market, which is only going to increase. A thousand for right now is an overpay, but not by as much as people are making it out to be.

Edited: 10/16/2019 at 08:44 PM by ExplodedHamster

Oct 17 at 8:18:28 AM
ExplodedHamster (183)
United States
Tetris already taking off this week...