Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Rare" games... DT2, RR2, Bonk's, Snow Bros.... NES

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:56:04 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
So... I'm pretty new to the idea of being a video game "collector". Really, I love playing video games so I've amassed a decent sized playable "collection". So, the idea of owning really high priced and sought after carts just sort of passed me by. That being said, I was willing to get some prettty decent games... Mega Man 1-6, Battletoads and Double Dragon for minor examples... games that weren't $5, but I still went out and bought at retail prices. Nothing special, but some pretty decent games that the casual gamer wouldn't go out and get....

Now I get online to NA (A FREAKING AWESOME PLACE TO BE!!!! ) and I see there's quite a kerfluffle about a few games of which I've never even had the privilege of seeing in person. Games like Duck Tales 2, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers 2, Snow Bros., and Bonk's Adventure for NES. I understand these aren't the be all end all of NES gaming, as there's some other RIDICULOUS carts out there, but they seem to be pretty sought after. (If anyone found one in the wild, I'm sure they would cream in their pants and be left speechless, hoping to be able to hold the cart steady enough in order to pay)

I own an NES so I can play it... I haven't really considered it an "investment", which I am now changing my thoughts on.

That being said: Are these games worth buying? How much would you pay for them? Are you waiting it out and waiting until you have that "perfect find" and grab some copies in the wild? Or will you pay top nut for them just so you have them in your collection??

I'm into buying games so I can play them and have fun. That being said, I love getting a good deal, and have MANY of the carts I've bought go up in price over the years.... are these worth buying???

Most importantly I would like to play these games... Capcom is freaking KILLER, and Hudson Soft has done me good by Adventure Island.... so I think these games NEED TO BE PLAYED BY ME.

Just curious about what everyone else thinks..... I guess I might get harshed on for the placement of this thread, but I wasn't sure where to put it. I would like to get a good idea of what the prices are for these games, I don't want to get ripped off on a purchase. So... that fits. How much $$$ would you pay???

-------------------------

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:18:22 PM
TerrHeel (125)
(Terrence Jordan) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
One thing to remember is that you can always buy an expensive game to play it, and then if the collection aspect of it can't be justified for the price, turn around and sell it and you can get your money back. If you hold it for a little while, you'll probably even make a couple dollars with the way prices have continued to rise. The games you mentioned range from about $75 to $200 right now.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:34:13 PM
TENGEN (177)
(DK ) < King Solomon >
New York
They also aren't going to go down significantly in the near future (at least a year) so it would be safe to say you could buy the top titles, play them for a year and probably sell them for more than what you paid.

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:29:46 PM
Nintegrity (20)
(Nintendo Purist) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
Certain "holy grail" nes games seem to hold steady prices and are smart to invest in such as Stadium Events for the nes. If I had a few copies of Stadium Events, it would be as good as having ounces of gold coins stockpiled in a safety deposit box at my bank.

Edited: 11/24/2012 at 03:30 PM by Nintegrity

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:08:47 PM
Max Velocity (38)
< Kraid Killer >
Nova Scotia
Just play the ROMs for pricey titles till you can find em for cheap at an old lady's yard sale one day.

SNES - 660

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:50:36 PM
BalloonFight (233)
(Kyle Allen) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
If you are a big gamer and want to play the games on your system, you can always buy them for near their going rate (if you can find a deal for like 10-20% less than normal thats what you're hoping for) and always sell them after you beat them. The rarer games have held their value or went up in value pretty well in the last couple years.

Always looking for early issues of these magazines: GameFan, Tips and Tricks, Electronic Gaming Monthly.
Don't be afraid to send me a PM if you have any of these. I would love to give you some games for your magazines. :)

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:25:30 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Nintegrity

Certain "holy grail" nes games seem to hold steady prices and are smart to invest in such as Stadium Events for the nes. If I had a few copies of Stadium Events, it would be as good as having ounces of gold coins stockpiled in a safety deposit box at my bank.

Haha, yeah.... cash is nothing, NES games are all.

So these would be considered "holy grail" games? I looked around the forums, seems like the terms "holy grail" is pretty subjective. I'll call them holy grail... I mean, they're part of MY most sought after games.

Thanks for the word everyone, sounds like a decent purchase either way! I look forward to playing them!

I paid about hundred bucks+ for the games (each), so I'll enjoy them. And keep 'em safe.

NA is a killer place, lots of good advice, thanks everyone! Seller's forum is sick, too...

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:26:38 PM
ugly_monster (144)
(Jeff Buit) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Good thing = those are all awesome games!

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:31:46 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
I had a nice copy of ducktales 2; got it for cheap, didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the original, and sold on here for a huge profit. If I go completest on my collection I'll probably buy another copy at some point but for now I'm ok with it =)

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:43:10 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: ugly_monster

Good thing = those are all awesome games!

NICE! I just took Duck Tales for a run the other day... it felt good. I just realized a whole new order to complete the levels, it was a refreshing revelation. I look forward to the puzzles in DT2..... (Shoudn't really say puzzles.... find the extra health and key basically....)

Good to know you'll be in the market for one in the future JD...

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 11/26/2012 at 02:44 AM by AirVillain