Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Thrift Shop score for $5! Updated 9/18/19 (See latest posts for newest finds.)

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:10:31 AM
LutherDestroysTheGond (85)
(Grumble Grumble) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Please see most recent post for newer finds!

April 30th:
 So I just graduated and headed home for a few days of R&R.  I eventually got to cleaning in the attic and found some cool odds and ends in old toy boxes.  I had no idea that I still owned any of this stuff.  The console boxes were especially a nice surprise because I thought my parents had thrown them away when we had gotten to consoles!  I will leave this only to gaming stuff as I could go on and on about the LEGOs, TMNT figures, Star Wars toys, etc.

Here are some old game boxes.  None are mint, but they are all mine from childhood/teen years:

Three Gameboy hint cards, a little smaller than business cards.  Anybody know what these are from????

An awesome ruler circa 1989

Majora's mask OST, got this for renewing my Nintendo Power subscription.  Not as cool now that Club Nintendo re-released this.  It's a 2-disc set in a cardboard sleeve

Last but not least, me!  A Polaroid pic of me rocking a Nintendo Power sweatshirt.  Pic is dated 10/31/94

Glad to find all of this stuff while cleaning, definitely made it interesting.  Hope you guys enjoyed this as much as I did!

EDIT: Cleaned out some pics.  Here is the link to the album:

http://s534.photobucket.com/user/...

-------------------------
WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Edited: 09/18/2019 at 07:25 PM by LutherDestroysTheGond

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:45:07 AM
Michigan
Also, while at home I got a few decent purchases in.  I went to the local Exchange store and saw this abomination:

Ouch.  Don't worry, I did NOT pay that kind of money for Zelda LTTP.. BUT, seeing prices like this motivate me even more when looking to find a deal or underpriced games.  I did.

Found a steal on Power Rangers The Movie, they must have priced it based off of the regular Power Rangers SNES game.

The deal on Power Rangers made it easier to splurge on Darkwing Duck, especially because the manual was included!

Lastly, found a few gems in the $1 Gameboy bargain bin.

I HATE overpriced games, but finding deals from overpriced stores makes me feel like I've done the game-hunting community some justice!

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Edited: 05/13/2014 at 01:11 AM by LutherDestroysTheGond

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:12:32 AM
RetroRewired (41)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Meka Chicken >
Kentucky

Nice finds.

I'm always on the hunt for broken disc-based consoles, PM me.
My eBay store: http://ebay.com/usr/nullmods

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:20:37 AM
Michigan
Originally posted by: Nullface

Nice finds.

Thanks!  It was an unexpected surprise to say the least.  They came in a gumball Gameboy?  I don't even remember getting those as kids.  Neat.  There are 14 total cards, I wonder if its cheap to track down the remaining 11 that I'm missing?

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:56:46 AM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
The fact that those boxes are yours from childhood make the condition unimportant, cool you found those.

SW-6786-5095-2210

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:26:07 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan
post your other toy finds in the non gaming finders keepers thread please!

Nice stuff and cool you have it still. I want the ruler.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:23:01 AM
PILOT-RAZ (0)

< Little Mac >
Indiana
nice job spotting that power rangers deal. Big discount there.

Also on the R-TYPE DX, I just paid $3 myself for that last week. 1 dollar for it is great, especially since there are five different versions of R-type on that cart.

Edited: 04/30/2014 at 11:23 AM by PILOT-RAZ

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:50:21 AM
Michigan
Originally posted by: videogamedomain

post your other toy finds in the non gaming finders keepers thread please!

Nice stuff and cool you have it still. I want the ruler.

I'm in the process of going through everything else now.  Pics will be up in that thread (hopefully) later tonight.  TONS of toys. 

While going through a box of Star Wars toys I found these at the bottom.  I am ELATED:

This shirt will probably go to my brothers kids.  Sorry for the non-gaming stuff in this pic, I took this pic to see if my bro wants it for his kids:

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Edited: 04/30/2014 at 11:52 AM by LutherDestroysTheGond

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:25:30 PM
Dackfaid (17)
(Derek ) < Crack Trooper >
Pennsylvania
That shirt is RAD!!!!!

My Trade / For sale list http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

May 1, 2014 at 1:55:22 AM
Arr_Adam (1)
(Adam M) < Meka Chicken >
Saskatchewan
I have one of those Power Rangers guns somewhere at my parent's place lol.

May 1, 2014 at 4:51:48 PM
Max Vador (25)
(Maxwell Vador) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
that looks like the chinese pistol from fallout 3 haha

May 1, 2014 at 11:28:27 PM
Michigan
Originally posted by: PILOT-RAZ

nice job spotting that power rangers deal. Big discount there.

Also on the R-TYPE DX, I just paid $3 myself for that last week. 1 dollar for it is great, especially since there are five different versions of R-type on that cart.

Thanks!   I used to immediately walk out when I saw a ridiculously overpriced game but now its my motivation to find a mis-priced deal.  I wouldn't have found these games without that

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

May 2, 2014 at 1:09:06 AM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
See your lucky...we don't have an attic in our house..only a basement that has rats, bugs and flooding problems so anything stored in it get ruined one way or another. I never saved that stuff when I was a kid anyways but if I did I'd be shit out of luck because it would be trash.

At least some people saved their boxes so I can buy them and fake myself out to believe I originally owned them

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

May 6, 2014 at 11:42:37 PM
Michigan
May 6th: Went to a pawn store that I used to frequent for good finds but they haven't had anything good within the past year or so.  Found all three of these for $5 each.  All are complete and I tested all 3 and they all work.  I already have a Gameboy Player disc so that will be sold or traded but I FINALLY HAVE POWER STONE 2!!

Finally found a good find in the wild.  My dry-spell was reaching epic proportions.  I was getting ready to quit hunting for a while but this gave me the morale boost I desperately needed just in time for garage sale season.....

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Edited: 05/06/2014 at 11:43 PM by LutherDestroysTheGond

May 12, 2014 at 11:36:22 PM
Michigan
May 8th:  Found a listing on Craigslist for a decent Gamecube lot and replied 11 minutes after it was posted.  The asking price was $45 and I offered $50 if he could meet me at a specific time (had to borrow my GFs car).  I asked if he had any other old gaming stuff to unload and what he wanted for it.  He replied by saying he had a Gameboy lot and N64 lot that he would part with and we can decide on a price when we meet.

We met the next day and it was about a 25 min drive and I met him at the Go-Kart place that he owns and operates.  He had the N64 and Gamecube hooked up to the TV in back and we played some Smash Brothers and settled on a price.  $115 for everything!  I feel like I got a great deal!  

Almost all of this stuff is dupes but every single game/system/controller is an upgrade from what I have.  He said he never played them alot and they have been in storage for over 10 years.  Every Gamecube game is complete with all inserts, all cords were included and everything works perfectly.  

Enough chat, here are the pics!

Nintendo 64.  The darker controller is the same color as the console, I've never seen one like that ever (I'm sure its common, just unusual to find) but I think its cool enough to keep.  Expansion pack AND base Jumper pack were both included!

Tommy Hilfiger edition of the Gameboy Color.  I have never seen that before either but it seems fairly common.

Perfect Dark and Pokemon Pinball both have the original pack-in battery included.  No corrosion and probably worthless but very neat to see.

Cubestand Plus (complete) and Gamecube carrying bag

Gameshark 2.2 and Gameshark Pro 3.2 for N64.  Also, the limited edition Starfox Adventure Target giveaway complete with certificate!  Very cool to see!

Thats all for now.  Almost all of this stuff will be for trade/for sale in the near future or it will end up on eBay.

Thanks for looking!

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Edited: 05/12/2014 at 11:38 PM by LutherDestroysTheGond

May 19, 2014 at 3:07:01 PM
Michigan
May 13th:  Went to a KMart 1 town over and they were moving stuff around in the electronics department for the new releases (this was on a Tuesday).  They had some stuff sitting a pile behind the counter that looked like it was going to be thrown out.  I asked the employee there what they were ding with them and they said that the pile was trash or to be put in storage in the back.  I asked if I could save what was being thrown out and they told me to take whatever I wanted.  Here is what I saved:

I Bravely Defualt poster is a static cling, the DKC Tropicla Freeze standee has already been sold to a fellow NA member, and the 2 shelves will complement my two shelves that I got from my local KMart when they went out of business:  http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...  (sorry to be "that guy" and post a thread within a thread, I had made this Thread before I realized each member should only have a single Finders Keepers Thread and this is strictly for reference)

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

May 19, 2014 at 3:10:24 PM
Michigan
May 19th: Went to my local retro game store looking for anything good.  Nothing really interested me.  However, a guy was trading in a ton of retro games/systems and we got to talking.  When I went to leave he offered me this because the store didn't want it.  I asked him how much he wanted to it and he told me it was free!  It may not be the prettiest but it works and came with the RF Switch, AC adaptor and cleaning kit!  The month of May keeps getting better and better!

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

May 20, 2014 at 9:17:01 PM
Milwaukee_Nintendo (17)
(Charles A) < Meka Chicken >
Wisconsin
Nice finds- those are some great Gamecube games!

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:00:40 PM
Michigan
June 23rd: Went to a local pawn store and found a few gems.  I found Mario Party 8 (CIB) for $8.  Pokemon Soulsilver was in a DS Lite they were selling and they took it out and sold it to me for $5.  The Wavebird controller is dirty and missing the receiver but it was only $1!  I tested everything out and it all works.  Not too shabby for $14 total!

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:16:46 AM
Rabidcamel (19)
(J ) < Meka Chicken >
Saskatchewan
Looks like that snes someone took a sledge hammer to it. Mine is broken too but smashed in the front but still works too. Also nice game score for 14 dollars.

My Favorite NES game of all time! Double Dragon 2 - 4 Life! -

N64 Games Im looking for must be complete and excellent condition or sealed
Transformers Beast Wars Transmetals
International Track & Field 2000

I have sales/trades available in my thread for the games above Im looking for. Check it out!

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:04:31 PM
Michigan
Originally posted by: Rabidcamel

Looks like that snes someone took a sledge hammer to it. Mine is broken too but smashed in the front but still works too. Also nice game score for 14 dollars.

Thanks! I'm always on the lookout for good finds.

The guy who gave the SNES to me said that he dropped it on the pavement but it worked fine!  I traded with someone so they could swap the working body into a prettier shell.  Not too shabby!

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:09:19 PM
Michigan
June 24th: Found these a while ago but I'm just now getting a chance to share these.  

Found these at a store for a good buy. Kendo Rage was probably an older price before it spiked with the rest of SNES.  Cybernator wasn't a huge deal but the good reviews for it are worth the price!

Also at the same store I finally got Mega Man X CIB!! (not in the greatest condition)  It was priced at $45 and I got the manager to go down to $35 because of the poorerish condition and because I was buying 2 other games.  Heard him joking to other employees that the games must suck because he had never heard of them.  Joke is on him.  Not too shabby!

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:11:57 AM
Michigan
July 31st:  I finally have my white whale!!  

Got this in the mail today.  Paid $300 for it, not horrible considering recent auctions are clearing $600+

I have a weird feeling about what to search for now, this was my last big game that I wanted for a loooong time.  Not sure where to go from here....

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Edited: 08/01/2014 at 12:21 AM by LutherDestroysTheGond

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:16:48 AM
Jazzmarazz (1)
(Jordan Appleton-Joslin) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
Originally posted by: applejack8706

Hey! I have that Star fox statue. I kept it in the package too since ... I thought it was stupid. hahaha....

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:52:21 PM
Michigan
August 15th: I had a work conference about an hour away from where I live so I stopped at a few stores on my way home.

First, I went to a pawn store in Sterling Heights.  Got these three games for $5!

Second, went to a store called Time Travellers.  They had MTG, Star Wars toys, Transformers, etc. and vintage games!  Got Space Shuttle for $8 and Pokemon Snap for $9.

Lastly, stopped by a St. Vincent DePaul Thrift shop and got these games loose for $3 each.  Not too bad!

Ended up spending $28 for everything, plan on selling/trading almost all of it.  Not too bad for a work conference!

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can